Research Article | Open Access
M. Aslam Chaudhry, Asghar Qadir, "Operator Representation of Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein Integral Functions with Applications", International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, vol. 2007, Article ID 080515, 9 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/80515
Operator Representation of Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein Integral Functions with Applications
Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein functions arise as quantum statistical distributions. The Riemann zeta function and its extension, the polylogarithm function, arise in the theory of numbers. Though it might not have been expected, these two sets of functions belong to a wider class of functions whose members have operator representations. In particular, we show that the Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein integral functions are expressible as operator representations in terms of themselves. Simpler derivations of previously known results of these functions are obtained by their operator representations.
- E. C. Titchmarsh, The Theory of the Riemann Zeta-Function, Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK, 1951.
- M. Abramowitz and I. A. Stegun, Eds., Handbook of Mathematical Functions, with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables, Dover, New York, NY, USA, 1972.
- W. J. Cody and H. C. Thacher, “Rational Chebyshev Approximations for Fermi-Dirac Integrals of Orders -1/2, 1/2 and 3/2,” Mathematics of Computation, vol. 21, no. 97, pp. 30–40, 1967.
- R. B. Dingle, Asymptotic Expansions: Their Derivation and Interpretation, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1973.
- L. Lewin, Polylogarithms and Associated Functions, North-Holland, New York, NY, USA, 1981.
- K. S. Miller and B. Ross, An Introduction to the Fractional Calculus and Fractional Differential Equations, A Wiley-Interscience Publication, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- J. E. Robinson, “Note on the Bose-Einstein integral functions,” Physical Review, vol. 83, pp. 678–679, 1951.
- J. Spanier and K. B. Oldham, An Atlas of Functions, Hemisphere, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- H. M. Srivastava, “Some formulas for the Bernoulli and Euler polynomials at rational arguments,” Mathematical Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 77–84, 2000.
- N. M. Temme and A. B. Olde Daalhuis, “Uniform asymptotic approximation of Fermi—Dirac integrals,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 383–387, 1990.
- W. Magnus, F. Oberhettinger, and F. G. Tricomi, Higher Transcendental Functions, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1953.
- R. B. Paris and D. Kaminski, Asymptotics and Mellin-Barnes Integrals, vol. 85 of Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Its Applications, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2001.
Copyright © 2007 M. Aslam Chaudhry and Asghar Qadir. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.