Vasko Jovanovski, Boris Orel, Robi Ješe, Gregor Mali, Elias Stathatos, Panagiotis Lianos, "Positively charged polysilsesquioxane/iodide lonic liquid as a quasi solid-state redox electrolyte for dye-sensitized photo electrochemical cells: Infrared, NMR, and electrical studies", International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2006, Article ID 023703, 8 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/IJP/2006/23703
Positively charged polysilsesquioxane/iodide lonic liquid as a quasi solid-state redox electrolyte for dye-sensitized photo electrochemical cells: Infrared, NMR, and electrical studies
A new sol-gel precursor based on 1-methyl-3-[3-(trimethoxy--silyl)propyl]-1-imidazolium iodide (MTMSPI) was synthesized and investigated as a potential novel quasi solid-state ionic liquid redox electrolyte for dye-synthesized photoelectrochemical (DSPEC) cells of the Graetzel type. MTMSPI was hydrolyzed with acidified water and the reaction products of the sol-gel condensation reactions assessed with the help of NMR and infrared spectroscopic techniques. Results of the time-dependent spectra analyses showed the formation of positively charged polyhedral cube-like silsesquioxane species that still contained a small amount of silanol end groups, which were removed after heating at . After cooling, the resulting material formed is a tough, yellowish, and transparent solid, which could be reheated again and used for assembling DSPEC cells. The addition of iodine increased the specific conductivity of the hydrolyzed and nonhydrolyzed MTMSPI, which we attributed to the formation of triiodide ions contributed to the conductivity via the Grotthus mechanism. DSPEC cells based on a titania-dye system with MTMSPI electrolyte containing iodine (0.1 M) reached an overall efficiency between 3.3–3.7%.
- B. O'Regan and M. Grätzel, “A low-cost, high-efficiency solar cell based on dye-sensitized colloidal films,” Nature, vol. 353, no. 6346, pp. 737–740, 1991.
- A. Hagfeldt and M. Grätzel, “Light induced redox reactions in nanocrystalline systems,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 95, pp. 49–68, 1995.
- B. O'Regan, D. T. Schwartz, S. M. Zakeeruddin, and M. Grätzel, “Electrodeposited nanocomposite n-p heterojunctions for solid-state dye-sensitized photovoltaics,” Advanced Materials, vol. 12, no. 17, pp. 1263–1267, 2000.
- G. R. A. Kumara, A. Konno, K. Shiratsuchi, J. Tsukahara, and K. Tennakone, “Dye-sensitized solid-state solar cells: use of crystal growth inhibitors for deposition of the hole collector,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 954–955, 2002.
- B. O'Regan, F. Lenzmann, R. Muis, and J. Wienke, “A solid-state dye-sensitized solar cell fabricated with pressure-treated P25- and CuSCN: analysis of pore filling and IV characteristics,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 5023–5029, 2002.
- T. Taguchi, X.-T. Zhang, I. Sutanto et al., “Improving the performance of solid-state dye-sensitized solar cell using MgO-coated nanoporous film,” Chemical Communications, no. 19, pp. 2480–2481, 2003.
- U. Bach, D. Lupo, P. Comte et al., “Solid-state dye-sensitized mesoporous solar cells with high photon-to-electron conversion efficiencies,” Nature, vol. 395, no. 6702, pp. 583–585, 1998.
- J. Krüger, R. Plass, M. Grätzel, and H.-J. Matthieu, “Improvement of the photovoltaic performance of solid-state dye-sensitized device by silver complexation of the sensitizer cis-bis(4,-dicarboxy-2,bipyridine)-bis(isothiocyanato) ruthenium(II),” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 367–369, 2002.
- T. Kitamura, M. Maitani, M. Matsuda, Y. Wada, and S. Yanagida, “Improved solid-state dye solar cells with polypyrrole using a carbon-based counter electrode,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1054–1055, 2001.
- P. Wang, S. M. Zakeeruddin, R. Humphry-Baker, J. E. Moser, and M. Grätzel, “Molecular-scale interface engineering of nanocrystals: improve the efficiency and stability of dye-sensitized solar cells,” Advanced Materials, vol. 15, no. 24, pp. 2101–2104, 2003.
- A. F. Nogueira, J. R. Durrant, and M.-A. De Paoli, “Dye-sensitized nanocrystalline solar cells employing a polymer electrolyte,” Advanced Materials, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 826–830, 2001.
- T. Stergiopoulos, I. M. Arabatzis, G. Katsaros, and P. Falaras, “Binary polyethylene oxide/titania solid-state redox electrolyte for highly efficient nanocrystalline photoelectrochemical cells,” Nano Letters, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 1259–1261, 2002.
- T. Asano, T. Kubo, and Y. Nishikitani, “Electrochemical properties of dye-sensitized solar cells fabricated with PVDF-type polymeric solid electrolytes,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol. 164, no. 1–3, pp. 111–115, 2004.
- R. Komiya, L. Han, R. Yamanaka, A. Islam, and T. Mitate, “Highly efficient quasi-solid state dye-sensitized solar cell with ion conducting polymer electrolyte,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol. 164, no. 1–3, pp. 123–127, 2004.
- E. Stathatos, P. Lianos, U. Lavrenčič-Štangar, and B. Orel, “A high-performance solid-state dye-sensitized photoelectrochemical cell employing a nanocomposite gel electrolyte made by the sol-gel route,” Advanced Materials, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 354–357, 2002.
- E. Stathatos, P. Lianos, A. Šurca Vuk, and B. Orel, “Optimization of a quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized photoelectrochemical solar cell employing a ureasil/sulfolane gel electrolyte,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 45–48, 2004.
- E. Stathatos, P. Lianos, V. Jovanovski, and B. Orel, “Dye-sensitized photoelectrochemical solar cells based on nanocomposite organic-inorganic materials,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol. 169, no. 1, pp. 57–61, 2005.
- P. Bonhôte, A.-P. Dias, N. Papageorgiou, K. Kalyanasundaram, and M. Grätzel, “Hydrophobic, highly conductive ambient-temperature molten salts,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 1168–1178, 1996.
- R. Kawano, H. Matsui, C. Matsuyama et al., “High performance dye-sensitized solar cells using ionic liquids as their electrolytes,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol. 164, no. 1–3, pp. 87–92, 2004.
- H. Matsui, K. Okada, T. Kawashima et al., “Application of an ionic liquid-based electrolyte to a 100 mm 100 mm sized dye-sensitized solar cell,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol. 164, no. 1–3, pp. 129–135, 2004.
- N. Papageorgiou, Y. Athanassov, M. Armand et al., “The performance and stability of ambient temperature molten salts for solar cell applications,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 143, no. 10, pp. 3099–3108, 1996.
- H. Stegemann, A. Rohde, A. Reiche, A. Schnittke, and H. Füllbier, “Room temperature molten polyiodides,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 379–383, 1992.
- H. Paulsson, A. Hagfeldt, and L. Kloo, “Molten and solid trialkylsulfonium iodides and their polyiodides as electrolytes in dye-sensitized nanocrystalline solar cells,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 49, pp. 13665–13670, 2003.
- P. Wang, S. M. Zakeeruddin, P. Comte, I. Exnar, and M. Grätzel, “Gelation of ionic liquid-based electrolytes with silica nanoparticles for quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 1166–1167, 2003.
- H. Usui, H. Matsui, N. Tanabe, and S. Yanagida, “Improved dye-sensitized solar cells using ionic nanocomposite gel electrolytes,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol. 164, no. 1–3, pp. 97–101, 2004.
- W. Kubo, Y. Makimoto, T. Kitamura, Y. Wada, and S. Yanagida, “Quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cell with ionic polymer electrolyte,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 948–949, 2002.
- P. Wang, S. M. Zakeeruddin, I. Exnar, and M. Grätzel, “High efficiency dye-sensitized nanocrystalline solar cells based on ionic liquid polymer gel electrolyte,” Chemical Communications, no. 24, pp. 2972–2973, 2002.
- J. Fuller, A. C. Breda, and R. T. Carlin, “Ionic liquid-polymer gel electrolytes,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 144, no. 4, pp. L67–L70, 1997.
- W. Kubo, T. Kittamura, K. Hanabusa, Y. Wada, and S. Yanagida, “Quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells using room temperature molten salts and a low molecular weight gelator,” Chemical Communications, no. 4, pp. 374–375, 2002.
- S. Murai, S. Mikoshiba, H. Sumino, and S. Hayase, “Quasi-solid dye-sensitized solar cells containing chemically cross-linked gel: How to make gels with a small amount of gelator,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol. 148, no. 1–3, pp. 33–39, 2002.
- K. Suzuki, M. Yamaguchi, S. Hotta, N. Tanabe, and S. Yanagida, “A new alkyl-imidazole polymer prepared as an inonic polymer electrolyte by in situ polymerization of dye sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol. 164, no. 1–3, pp. 81–85, 2004.
- W. Li, J. Kang, X. Li et al., “A novel polymer quaternary ammonium iodide and application in quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2005.
- J. Kang and S. Fang, “Synthesis and ionic conductivity of comb-like polysiloxanes with Pendant oligo(oxyethylene) side chains and quaternary ammonium groups,” Polymer Bulletin, vol. 49, no. 2-3, pp. 127–134, 2002.
- J. E. Bertie and Z. Lan, “An accurate modified Kramers-Kronig transformation from reflectance to phase shift on attenuated total reflection,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 105, no. 19, pp. 8502–8514, 1996.
- B. Orel, R. Ješe, U. Lavrenčič-Štangar, J. Grdadolnik, and M. Puchberger, “Infrared attenuated total reflection spectroscopy studies of aprotic condensation of and systems with carboxylic acids,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 351, no. 6-7, pp. 530–549, 2005.
- Z. Zhang, Y. Tanigami, R. Terai, H. Wakabayashi, and S. Sakka, “Preparation of gel film on aqueous solutions. Infrared spectroscopic study of the reaction in the gel film,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 1328–1331, 1997.
- I. S. Ignatyev, A. N. Lazarev, T. F. Tenisheva, and B. F. Shchegolev, “Molecular structure, force field and vibrational spectra of tetramethoxysilane,” Journal of Molecular Structure, vol. 244, pp. 193–202, 1991.
- J. F. Brown Jr., “The polycondensation of phenylsilanetriol,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 87, no. 19, pp. 4317–4324, 1965.
- J. F. Brown Jr. and L. H. Vogt Jr., “The polycondensation of cyclohexylsilanetriol,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 87, no. 19, pp. 4313–4317, 1965.
- A. G. Voronkov and V. I. Lavrent'yev, “Polyhedral oligosilsesquioxanes and their homo derivatives,” Topics in Current Chemistry, vol. 102, pp. 199–236, 1982.
- N. Wright and M. J. Hunter, “Organosilicon polymers. III. Infrared spectra of the methylpolysiloxanes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 803–809, 1947.
- A. L. Smith and D. R. Anderson, “Vibrational Spectra of , and their deuterated analogs,” Journal of Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 822–834, 1984.
- H. S. Nalwa, Handbook of Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Materials and Nanocomposites, vol. 1, American Scientific, North Lewis Way, Calif, USA, 2003, chapter 3.
- Y. Sugahara, S. Okada, S. Sato, K. Kuroda, and C. Kato, “Si-NMR study of hydrolysis and initial polycondensation processes of organoalkoxysilanes. II. Methyltriethoxysilane,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 167, no. 1-2, pp. 21–28, 1994.
- A. Jitianu, A. Britchi, C. Deleanu, V. Badescu, and M. Zaharescu, “Comparative study of the sol-gel processes starting with different substituted Si-alkoxides,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 319, no. 3, pp. 263–279, 2003.
- F. Brunet, “Polymerization reactions in methyltriethoxysilane studied through NMR with polarization transfer,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 231, no. 1-2, pp. 58–77, 1998.
- M. Bärtsch, P. Bornhauser, H. Bürgy, and G. Calzaferri, “Infrared and Raman spectra of octa (hydridosilasesquioxanes),” Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular Spectroscopy, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 1627–1629, 1991.
- M. J. Loboda, C. M. Grove, and R. F. Schneider, “Properties of a-: H thin films deposited from hydrogen silsesquioxane resins,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 145, no. 8, pp. 2861–2866, 1998.
- J. F. Brown Jr., L. H. Vogt Jr., and P. I. Prescott, “Preparation and characterization of the lower equilibrated phenylsilsesquioxanes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 1120–1125, 1964.
- J. F. Brown Jr., Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, no. 1, p. 83, 1963.
- V. Jovanovski, E. Stathatos, P. Lianos, and B. Orel, submitted to Chemistry of Materials.
Copyright © 2006 Vasko Jovanovski et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.