- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 468526, 9 pages
Parental Influence on Young Children's Physical Activity
1Department of Human Kinetics, Laurentian University, Sundbury, ON, Canada P3E 2C6
2Department of Psychology/School of Medicine, Laurentian University, Ramsey Lake Road, Sudbury, ON, Canada P3E 2C6
3Department of Psychology, Laurentian University, Sundbury, ON, Canada P3E 2C6
4Department of Human Kinetics/School of Medicine, Laurentian University, Sundbury, ON, Canada P3E 2C6
Received 8 January 2010; Revised 31 March 2010; Accepted 3 June 2010
Academic Editor: Neil Armstrong
Copyright © 2010 Cheryl A. Zecevic et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [24 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- M. De Craemer, E. De Decker, I. De Bourdeaudhuij, C. Vereecken, B. Deforche, Y. Manios, and G. Cardon, “Correlates of energy balance-related behaviours in preschool children: a systematic review,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 13, pp. 13–28, 2012.
- Sally Robinson, Katie Yardy, and Victoria Carter, “A narrative literature review of the development of obesity in infancy and childhood,” Journal Of Child Health Care, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 339–354, 2012.
- Line Tremblay, Celine Boudreau-Lariviere, and Krystel Cimon-Lambert, “Promoting Physical Activity in Preschoolers: A Review of the Guidelines, Barriers, and Facilitators for Implementation of Policies and Practices,” Canadian Psychology-Psychologie Canadienne, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 280–290, 2012.
- Jessica Mitchell, Helen Skouteris, Marita McCabe, Lina A. Ricciardelli, Jeannette Milgrom, Louise A. Baur, Matthew Fuller-Tyszkiewicz, and Genevieve Dwyer, “Physical activity in young children: a systematic review of parental influences,” Early Child Development and Care, vol. 182, no. 11, pp. 1411–1437, 2012.
- Tanis J. Hastmann, Karla E. Foster, Richard R. Rosenkranz, Sara K. Rosenkranz, and David A. Dzewaltowski, “Effect of adult leader participation on physical activity in children,” Open Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 02, no. 04, pp. 429–435, 2012.
- Angela S. Alberga, Biagina-Carla Farnesi, Angele Lafleche, Laurent Legault, and Joanna Komorowski, “The Effects of Resistance Exercise Training on Body Composition and Strength in Obese Prepubertal Children,” Physician and Sportsmedicine, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 103–109, 2013.
- Stewart G. Trost, Samantha McDonald, and Alysia Cohen, “Measurement of general and specific approaches to physical activity parenting: A systematic review,” Childhood Obesity, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. S40–S50, 2013.
- Guillaume Martinent, Matilda Naisseh, Claude Ferrand, Julien E. Bois, and Christophe Hautier, “Development and Evaluation of the Psychometric Properties of the Parents’ Perceptions of Physical Activity Importance and their Children’s Ability Questionnaire (PPPAICAQ),” Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 2013.
- Amanda Froehlich Chow, and M. Louise Humbert, “Perceptions of Early Childhood Educators: Factors Influencing the Promotion of Physical Activity Opportunities in Canadian Rural Care Centers,” Child Indicators Research, 2013.
- Angela S. Alberga, Emily R. Medd, Kristi B. Adamo, Gary S. Goldfield, Denis Prud'homme, Glen P. Kenny, and Ronald J. Sigal, “Top 10 practical lessons learned from physical activity interventions in overweight and obese children and adolescents,” Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 249–258, 2013.
- Amber E. Vaughn, Derek Hales, and Dianne S. Ward, “Measuring the Physical Activity Practices Used by Parents of Preschool Children,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 2369–2377, 2013.
- Jia Zhao, Zhongcui Gao, and Barbara H. Settles, “Determinants of Parental Perception and Support on Youth Physical Activity,” Family & Community Health, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 77–88, 2013.
- Juan M. Fernandez-Alvira, Ilse De Bourdeaudhuij, Amika S. Singh, Froydis N. Vik, Yannis Manios, Eva Kovacs, Natasa Jan, Johannes Brug, and Luis A. Moreno, “Clustering of energy balance-related behaviors and parental education in European children: the ENERGY-project,” International Journal Of Behavioral Nutrition And Physical Activity, vol. 10, 2013.
- Jan Pavelka, Erik Sigmund, Zdenek Hamrik, and Michal Kalman, “Analysis of foreign physical activity recommendations and guidelines for schools,” Acta Gymnica, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 93–105, 2014.
- Sarah L. Holloway, and Helena Pimlott-Wilson, “Enriching Children, Institutionalizing Childhood? Geographies of Play, Extracurricular Activities, and Parenting in England,” Annals of The Association of American Geographers, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 613–627, 2014.
- Jocelyn W. Jarvis, Heather L. Gainforth, and Amy E. Latimer-Cheung, “Investigating the effect of message framing on parents’ engagement with advertisements promoting child physical activity,” International Review on Public and Nonprofit Marketing, 2014.
- Jia Zhao, and Barbara H. Settles, “Environmental Correlates of Children's Physical Activity and Obesity,” American Journal Of Health Behavior, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 124–133, 2014.
- Matilda Naisseh, Guillaume Martinent, Claude Ferrand, and Christophe Hautier, “Relationship Between Parents' Motivation For Physical Activity And Their Beliefs, And Support Of Their Children's Physical Activity: A Cluster Analysi,” Psychological Reports, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 230–243, 2015.
- Ethan E. Hull, Jeannette M. Garcia, Angela M. Kolen, and Robert J. Robertson, “Parenthood and Physical Activity in Young Adults: A Qualitative Study,” Journal Of Physical Activity & Health, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 782–788, 2015.
- Christopher A Yao, and Ryan E Rhodes, “Parental correlates in child and adolescent physical activity: a meta-analysis,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 12, no. 1, 2015.
- Kathryn Walton, A. Jordan Filion, Deborah Gross, Barbara Morrongiello, Gerarda Darlington, Janis Randall Simpson, Sharon Hou, and Jess Haines, “Parents and Tots Together: Pilot randomized controlled trial of a family-based obesity prevention intervention in Canada,” Canadian Journal Of Public Health-Revue Canadienne De Sante Publique, vol. 106, no. 8, pp. E555–E562, 2015.
- Huilan Xu, Li Ming Wen, and Chris Rissel, “Associations of Parental Influences with Physical Activity and Screen Time among Young Children: A Systematic Review,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2015, pp. 1–23, 2015.
- Daniel D. Bingham, Silvia Costa, Trina Hinkley, Katy A. Shire, Stacy A. Clemes, and Sally E. Barber, “Physical Activity During the Early Years,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2016.
- Robert J. Noonan, Lynne M. Boddy, Stuart J. Fairclough, and Zoe R. Knowles, “Parental perceptions on childrens out-of-school physical activity and family-based physical activity,” Early Child Development and Care, pp. 1–16, 2016.