- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 468526, 9 pages
Parental Influence on Young Children's Physical Activity
1Department of Human Kinetics, Laurentian University, Sundbury, ON, Canada P3E 2C6
2Department of Psychology/School of Medicine, Laurentian University, Ramsey Lake Road, Sudbury, ON, Canada P3E 2C6
3Department of Psychology, Laurentian University, Sundbury, ON, Canada P3E 2C6
4Department of Human Kinetics/School of Medicine, Laurentian University, Sundbury, ON, Canada P3E 2C6
Received 8 January 2010; Revised 31 March 2010; Accepted 3 June 2010
Academic Editor: Neil Armstrong
Copyright © 2010 Cheryl A. Zecevic et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. C. Harris, L. K. Kuramoto, M. Schulzer, and J. E. Retallack, “Effect of school-based physical activity interventions on body mass index in children: a meta-analysis,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 180, no. 7, pp. 719–726, 2009.
- N. Cameron, N. G. Norgan, and G. T. H. Ellison, Childhood Obesity; Contemporary Issues, Society for the Study of Human Biology Series, Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2006.
- J. Wardle, C. A. Guthrie, S. Sanderson, and L. Rapoport, “Development of the children's eating behaviour questionnaire,” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 963–970, 2001.
- J. O. Hill and J. C. Peters, “Environmental contributions to the obesity epidemic,” Science, vol. 280, no. 5368, pp. 1371–1374, 1998.
- C. Emck, R. Bosscher, P. Beek, and T. Doreleijers, “Gross motor performance and self-perceived motor competence in children with emotional, behavioural, and pervasive developmental disorders: a review,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 501–517, 2009.
- R. Bailey, “Evaluating the relationship between physical education, sport and social inclusion,” Educational Review, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 71–90, 2005.
- D. M. Hansen, R. W. Larson, and J. B. Dworkin, “What adolescents learn in organized youth activities: a survey of self-reported developmental experiences,” Journal of Research on Adolescence, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 25–55, 2003.
- M. I. Goran, “Measurement issues related to studies of childhood obesity: assessment of body composition, body fat distribution, physical activity, and food intake,” Pediatrics, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 505–518, 1998.
- J. F. Sallis and P. R. Nader, “Family determinants of health behaviors,” in Health Behavior: Emerging Research Perspectives, D. S. Gochman, Ed., pp. 107–124, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- G. J. Welk, K. Wood, and G. Morss, “Parental influences on physical activity in children: an exploration of potential mechanisms,” Pediatric Exercise Science, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 19–33, 2003.
- L. L. Moore, D. A. Lombardi, M. J. White, J. L. Campbell, S. A. Oliveria, and R. C. Ellison, “Influence of parent's physical activity levels on activity levels of young children,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 215–219, 1991.
- T. Hinkley, D. Crawford, J. Salmon, A. D. Okely, and K. Hesketh, “Preschool children and physical activity. A review of correlates,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 435–441, 2008.
- S. L. Gustafson and R. E. Rhodes, “Parental correlates of physical activity in children and early adolescents,” Sports Medicine, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 79–97, 2006.
- S. G. Trost, J. F. Sallis, R. R. Pate, P. S. Freedson, W. C. Taylor, and M. Dowda, “Evaluating a model of parental influence on youth physical activity,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 277–282, 2003.
- M. Dowda, R. K. Dishman, K. A. Pfeiffer, and R. R. Pate, “Family support for physical activity in girls from 8th to 12th grade in South Carolina,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 153–159, 2007.
- M. H. Proctor, L. L. Moore, D. Gao et al., “Television viewing and change in body fat from preschool to early adolescence: the Framingham Children's Study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 827–833, 2003.
- K. F. Janz, T. L. Burns, and S. M. Levy, “Tracking of activity and sedentary behaviors in childhood: the Iowa bone development study,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 171–178, 2005.
- J. F. Sallis, P. R. Nader, S. L. Broyles et al., “Correlates of physical activity at home in Mexican-American and Anglo-American preschool children,” Health Psychology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 390–398, 1993.
- K. Finn, N. Johannsen, and B. Specker, “Factors associated with physical activity in preschool children,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 81–85, 2002.
- R. R. Pate, K. A. Pfeiffer, S. G. Trost, P. Ziegler, and M. Dowda, “Physical activity among children attending preschools,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 5, pp. 1258–1263, 2004.
- R. W. Taylor, L. Murdoch, P. Carter, D. F. Gerrard, S. M. Williams, and B. J. Taylor, “Longitudinal study of physical activity and inactivity in preschoolers: the flame study,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 96–102, 2009.
- I. Ferreira, K. van der Horst, W. Wendel-Vos, S. Kremers, F. J. van Lenthe, and J. Brug, “Environmental correlates of physical activity in youth—a review and update,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 129–154, 2006.
- B. W. Timmons, P.-J. Naylor, and K. A. Pfeiffer, “Physical activity for preschool children—how much and how?” Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 32, pp. S122–S134, 2007.
- R. C. Klesges, L. H. Eck, C. L. Hanson, C. K. Haddock, and L. M. Klesges, “Effects of obesity, social interactions, and physical environment on physical activity in preschoolers,” Health Psychology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 435–449, 1990.
- Public Health Agency of Canada, “Physical Activity Guide for Children and Youth,” January 2010, http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/pau-uap/fitness/downloads.html.
- National Association for Sport and Physical Education, Active Start: A Statement of Physical Activity Guidelines for Children from Birth to Age 5, 2nd edition, December 2009, http://www.aahperd.org/naspe/standards/nationalGuidelines/ActiveStart.cfm.
- Canadian Paediatric Society, “News Releases & Advisories,” April 2009, http://www.cps.ca/english/media/NewsReleases/2002/TVTurnoffWeek.htm.
- Statistics Canada, “Television Viewing 2002. The Daily,” November 2003, http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/031121/d031121a.htm.
- J. F. Sallis, T. L. Patterson, T. L. McKenzie, and P. R. Nader, “Family variables and physical activity in preschool children,” Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 57–61, 1988.
- M. Dowda, R. R. Pate, S. G. Trost, M. J. C. A. Almeida, and J. R. Sirard, “Influences of preschool policies and practices on children's physical activity,” Journal of Community Health, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 183–196, 2004.
- R. Chaimovitz, R. Issenman, T. Moffat, and R. Persad, “Body perception: do parents, their children, and their children's physicians perceive body image differently?” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 76–80, 2008.
- L. M. Maynard, D. A. Galuska, H. M. Blanck, and M. K. Serdula, “Maternal perceptions of weight status of children,” Pediatrics, vol. 111, no. 5, pp. 1226–1231, 2003.
- D. S. West, J. M. Raczynski, M. M. Phillips, Z. Bursac, C. Heath Gauss, and B. E. E. Montgomery, “Parental recognition of overweight in school-age children,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 630–636, 2008.
- A. Anastasi and S. Urbina, Psychological Testing, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, 7th edition, 1997.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Clinical Growth Charts,” December 2009, http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/clinical_charts.htm.
- Ministry of Children and Youth Services, “Licensed Child Care,” 2007, https://www.ontario.ca/ONT/portal51/licensedchildcare/glossary.
- R. Jago, T. Baranowski, J. C. Baranowski, D. Thompson, and K. A. Greaves, “BMI from 3–6 y of age is predicted by TV viewing and physical activity, not diet,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 557–564, 2005.
- M. He, J. D. Irwin, L. M. Sangster Bouck, P. Tucker, and G. L. Pollett, “Screen-viewing behaviors among preschoolers: parents' perceptions,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 120–125, 2005.
- P. T. Katzmarzyk, L. A. Baur, S. N. Blair, E. V. Lambert, J.-M. Oppert, and C. Riddoch, “International conference on physical activity and obesity in children: summary statement and recommendations,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 3–21, 2008.
- R. R. Pate, K. McIver, M. Dowda, W. H. Brown, and C. Addy, “Directly observed physical activity levels in preschool children,” Journal of School Health, vol. 78, no. 8, pp. 438–444, 2008.
- X. Chen, M. Sekine, S. Hamanishi et al., “The validity of nursery teachers' report on the physical activity of young children,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 367–374, 2002.
- M. Noland, F. Danner, K. DeWalt, M. McFadden, and J. M. Kotchen, “The measurement of physical activity in young children,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 146–153, 1990.
- D. S. Freedman, L. K. Khan, W. H. Dietz, S. R. Srinivasan, and G. S. Berenson, “Relationship of childhood obesity to coronary heart disease risk factors in adulthood: the Bogalusa heart study,” Pediatrics, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 712–718, 2001.
- W. R. Clarke and R. M. Lauer, “Does childhood obesity track into adulthood?” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 33, no. 4-5, pp. 423–430, 1993.