- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 270273, 6 pages
Effects of Composite Formulation on Mechanical Properties of Biodegradable Poly(Propylene Fumarate)/Bone Fiber Scaffolds
Departments of Orthopedic Surgery and Biomedical Engineering, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Received 15 March 2010; Accepted 9 May 2010
Academic Editor: Shanfeng Wang
Copyright © 2010 Xun Zhu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Lu, B. L. Currier, and M. J. Yaszemski, “Synthetic bone substitutes,” Current Opinion in Orthopaedics, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 383–390, 2000.
- A. G. Mikos, L. Lu, J. S. Temenoff, and J. K. Tessmar, “Synthetic bioresorbable polymer scaffolds,” in Biomaterials Science, B. D. Ratner, A. S. Hoffman, F. J. Schoen, and J. E. Lemons, Eds., pp. 735–749, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.
- L. Lu, E. Jabbari, M. J. Moore, and M. J. Yaszemski, “Animal models for evaluation of tissue engineered orthopedic implants,” in The Biomedical Engineering Handbook, J. D. Bronzino, Ed., chapter 45, pp. 1–10, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 3rd edition, 2006.
- S. Wang, L. Lu, B. L. Currier, and M. J. Yaszemski, “Orthopedic prosthesis and joint implants,” in An Introduction to Biomaterials, S. A. Guelcher and J. O. Hollinger, Eds., Biomedical Engineering Series, pp. 369–393, CRC /Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2006.
- M. Light and I. O. Kanat, “The possible use of coralline hydroxyapatite as a bone implant,” Journal of Foot Surgery, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 472–476, 1991.
- S. Wang, L. Lu, and M. J. Yaszemski, “Bone-tissue-engineering material poly(propylene fumarate): correlation between molecular weight, chain dimension, and physical properties,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1976–1982, 2006.
- K.-W. Lee, S. Wang, L. Lu, E. Jabbari, B. L. Currier, and M. J. Yaszemski, “Fabrication and characterization of poly(propylene fumarate) scaffolds with controlled pore structures using 3-dimensional printing and injection molding,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 2801–2811, 2006.
- K.-W. Lee, S. Wang, M. J. Yaszemski, and L. Lu, “Physical properties and cellular responses to crosslinkable poly(propylene fumarate)/hydroxyapatite nanocomposites,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 19, pp. 2839–2848, 2008.
- S. Wang, D. H. R. Kempen, M. J. Yaszemski, and L. Lu, “The roles of matrix polymer crystallinity and hydroxyapatite nanoparticles in modulating material properties of photo-crosslinked composites and bone marrow stromal cell responses,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 20, pp. 3359–3370, 2009.
- X. Zhu, L. Lu, N. Liu, P. Chu, B. L. Currier, and M. J. Yaszemski, “Mechanical properties of biodegradable poly(propylene fumarate/bone fiber composites,” Transactions Society of Biomaterials, vol. 25, p. 260, 2002.
- S. He, J. Ulrich, R. G. Valenzuela, et al., “Mechanical properties of biodegradable poly(propylene fumarate)-bone fiber composites during the degradation process,” Transactions Society of Biomaterials, vol. 24, p. 149, 2001.
- B. D. Porter, J. B. Oldham, S.-L. He et al., “Mechanical properties of a biodegradable bone regeneration scaffold,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 286–288, 2000.
- S. Wang, L. Lu, J. A. Gruetzmacher, B. L. Currier, and M. J. Yaszemski, “A biodegradable and cross-linkable multiblock copolymer consisting of poly(propylene fumarate) and poly(ε-caprolactone): synthesis, characterization, and physical properties,” Macromolecules, vol. 38, no. 17, pp. 7358–7370, 2005.
- S. Wang, D. H. Kempen, N. K. Simha, et al., “Photo-crosslinked hybrid polymer networks for bone and nerve tissue-engineering applications: controlled physical properties and regulated cell responses,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 9, pp. 1229–1241, 2008.
- A. B. M. Rabie, R. W. K. Wong, and U. Hägg, “Composite autogenous bone and demineralized bone matrices used to repair defects in the parietal bone of rabbits,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 565–570, 2000.
- K. D. Chesmel, J. Branger, H. Wertheim, and N. Scarborough, “Healing response to various forms of human demineralized bone matrix in athymic rat cranial defects,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 857–865, 1998.
- S. J. Peter, L. J. Suggs, M. J. Yaszemski, P. S. Engel, and A. G. Mikos, “Synthesis of poly(propylene fumarate) by acylation of propylene glycol in the presence of a proton scavenger,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 363–373, 1999.
- G. Box, W. Hunter, and J. S. Hunter, Statistics for Experimenters, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- D. H. R. Kempen, M. C. Kruyt, L. Lu et al., “Effect of autologous bone marrow stromal cell seeding and bone morphogenetic protein-2 delivery on ectopic bone formation in a microsphere/poly(propylene fumarate) composite,” Tissue Engineering, Part A, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 587–594, 2009.
- D. H. R. Kempen, M. J. Yaszemski, A. Heijink et al., “Non-invasive monitoring of BMP-2 retention and bone formation in composites for bone tissue engineering using SPECT/CT and scintillation probes,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 169–176, 2009.
- D. H. R. Kempen, L. Lu, A. Heijink et al., “Effect of local sequential VEGF and BMP-2 delivery on ectopic and orthotopic bone regeneration,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 14, pp. 2816–2825, 2009.