- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 569871, 14 pages
Natural Fibre-Reinforced Biofoams
Centre des Matériaux de Grande Diffusion, Ecole des Mines d'Alès, 6 avenue de Clavières, 30319 Alès, France
Received 8 April 2011; Accepted 24 June 2011
Academic Editor: James Njuguna
Copyright © 2011 Anne Bergeret and Jean Charles Benezet. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Soykeabkaew, P. Supaphol, and R. Rujiravanit, “Preparation and characterization of jute-and flax-reinforced starch-based composite foams,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 53–63, 2004.
- M. Wollerdorfer and H. Bader, “Influence of natural fibres on the mechanical properties of biodegradable polymers,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 1998.
- M. N. Angles and A. Dufresne, “Plasticized/ tunicin whiskers nanocomposite materials. 2. Mechanical properties,” Macromolecules, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 2921–2931, 2001.
- L. Averous, C. Fringant, and L. Moro, “Plasticized starch-cellulose interactions in polysaccharide composites,” Polymer, vol. 42, no. 15, pp. 6571–6578, 2001.
- A. J. F. de Carvalho, A. A. S. Curvelo, and J. A. M. Agnelli, “Wood pulp reinforced thermoplastic starch composites,” International Journal of Polymeric Materials, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 647–660, 2002.
- A. Dufresne, D. Dupeyre, and M. R. Vignon, “Cellulose microfibrils from potato tuber cells: processing and characterization of starch-cellulose microfibril composites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 76, no. 14, pp. 2080–2092, 2000.
- T. Nishino, K. Hirao, M. Kotera, K. Nakamae, and H. Inagaki, “Kenaf reinforced biodegradable composite,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1281–1286, 2003.
- D. Plackett, A. T. Logstrup, P. W. Batsberg, and L. Nielsen, “Biodegradable composites based on L-polylactide and jute fibres,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1287–1296, 2003.
- K. Oksman, M. Skrifvars, and J. F. Selin, “Natural fibres as reinforcement in polylactic acid (PLA) composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1317–1324, 2003.
- H. S. Yang, H. J. Kim, H. J. Park, B. J. Lee, and T. S. Hwang, “Effect of compatibilizing agents on rice-husk flour reinforced polypropylene composites,” Composite Structures, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 45–55, 2007.
- M. N. Belgacem, P. Bataille, and S. Sapieha, “Effect of corona modification on the mechanical properties of polypropylene/cellulose composites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 379–385, 1994.
- J. C. Benezet, R. B. Christensen, H. Viana, A. Bergeret, L. Ferry, and S. Borros, “Biodegradable composites from starch foam and surface plasma treated natural fiber,” in Recent Advances in Research on Biodegradable Polymers and Sustainable Composites, vol. 1, Nova Science Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- N. E. Zafeiropoulos, C. A. Baillie, and J. M. Hodgkinson, “Engineering and characterisation of the interface in flax fibre/polypropylene composite materials. Part II. The effect of surface treatments on the interface,” Composites Part A, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1185–1190, 2002.
- A. K. Bledzki and J. Gassan, “Composites reinforced with cellulose based fibres,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 221–274, 1999.
- G. Siqueira, J. Bras, and A. Dufresne, “New process of chemical grafting of cellulose nanoparticles with a long chain isocyanate,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 402–411, 2010.
- G. D. Valle, Y. Boché, P. Colonna, and B. Vergnes, “The extrusion behaviour of potato starch,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 255–264, 1995.
- A. Stanojlovic-Davidovic, Matériaux biodegradables à base d’amidon expanse renforcé de fibres naturelles. Application à l’emballage alimentaire, Ph.D. thesis, Université du Sud Toulon-Var, 2006.
- J. W. Lawton, R. L. Shogren, and K. F. Tiefenbacher, “Aspen fiber addition improves the mechanical properties of baked cornstarch foams,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 41–48, 2004.
- R. L. Shogren, J. W. Lawton, and K. F. Tiefenbacher, “Baked starch foams: Starch modifications and additives improve process parameters, structure and properties,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 69–79, 2002.
- Z. Liu, C. S. L. Chuah, and M. G. Scanlon, “Compressive elastic modulus and its relationship to the structure of a hydrated starch foam,” Acta Materialia, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 365–371, 2003.
- L. Averous, “Biodegradable multiphase systems based on plasticized starch: A review,” Journal of Macromolecular Science. Polymer Reviews, vol. C44, no. 3, pp. 231–274, 2004.
- D. Garlotta, “A literature review of poly(lactic acid),” Journal of Polymers and the Environment, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 63–84, 2002.
- R. Auras, B. Harte, and S. Selke, “An overview of polylactides as packaging materials,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 835–864, 2004.
- R. Mehta, V. Kumar, H. Bhunia, and S. N. Upadhyay, “Synthesis of poly(lactic acid): a review,” Journal of Macromolecular Science. Polymer Reviews, vol. C45, no. 4, pp. 325–349, 2005.
- A. Sodergard and M. Stolt, “Properties of lactic acid based polymers and their correlation with composition,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1123–1163, 2002.
- L. Shen, J. Haufe, and M. K. Patel, “Product overview and market projection of emerging bio-based plastics,” Utrecht University 2009, www.epnoe.eu.
- D. Klempner and V. Sendijarevic, Polymeric Foams and Foam Technology, Hanser Garner, Munich, Germany, 1991.
- M. Parikh, R. A. Gross, and S. P. McCarthy, “The influence of injection molding conditions on biodegradable polymers,” Journal of Injection Molding Technology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 30–36, 1998.
- C. H. Lee, K. J. Lee, H. G. Jeong, and S. W. Kim, “Growth of gas bubbles in the foam extrusion process,” Advances in Polymer Technology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 97–112, 2000.
- M. Sauceau, C. Nikitine, E. Rodier, and J. Fages, “Effect of supercritical carbon dioxide on polystyrene extrusion,” Journal of Supercritical Fluids, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 367–373, 2007.
- A. Greco, A. Maffezzoli, and O. Manni, “Development of polymeric foams from recycled polyethylene and recycled gypsum,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 256–263, 2005.
- S. T. Lee, L. Kareko, and J. Jun, “Study of thermoplastic PLA foam extrusion,” Journal of Cellular Plastics, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 293–305, 2008.
- S. S. Ray and M. Okamoto, “Biodegradable polylactide and its nanocomposites: opening a new dimension for plastics and composites,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol. 24, no. 14, pp. 815–840, 2003.
- Y. Ema, M. Ikeya, and M. Okamoto, “Foam processing and cellular structure of polylactide-based nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 47, no. 15, pp. 5350–5359, 2006.
- E. Kabir, M. C. Saha, and S. Jeelani, “Tensile and fracture behavior of polymer foams,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 429, no. 1-2, pp. 225–235, 2006.
- H. R. Lin, “The structure and property relationships of commercial foamed plastics,” Polymer Testing, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 429–443, 1997.
- M. S. Huda, L. T. Drzal, A. K. Mohanty, and M. Misra, “Effect of fiber surface-treatments on the properties of laminated biocomposites from poly(lactic acid) (PLA) and kenaf fibers,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 424–432, 2008.
- L. M. Matuana and O. Faruk, “Solid state microcellular foamed PLA and PLA/wood flour composites: morphology and property characterization,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on wood polymer composites, Bordeaux, France, 2009.
- Q. Li and L. M. Matuana, “Foam extrusion of high density polyethylene/wood-flour composites using chemical foaming agents,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 88, no. 14, pp. 3139–3150, 2003.
- F. Mengeloglu and M. M. Laurent, “Foaming of rigid PVC/wood-flour composites through a continuous extrusion process,” Journal of Vinyl and Additive Technology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 142–148, 2001.
- L. M. Matuana and M. Fatih, “Manufacture of rigid PVC/wood-flour composite foams using moisture contained in wood as foaming agent,” Journal of Vinyl and Additive Technology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 264–270, 2002.
- S. Pilla, S. G. Kim, G. K. Auer, S. Gong, and C. B. Park, “Microcellular extrusion-foaming of polylactide with chain-extender,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 1653–1660, 2009.
- A. P. Mathew, K. Oksman, and M. Sain, “Mechanical properties of biodegradable composites from poly lactic acid (PLA) and microcrystalline cellulose (MCC),” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 2014–2025, 2005.
- R. Masirek, Z. Kulinski, D. Chionna, E. Piorkowska, and M. Pracella, “Composites of poly(L-lactide) with hemp fibers: morphology and thermal and mechanical properties,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 255–268, 2007.
- M. S. Huda, L. T. Drzal, A. K. Mohanty, and M. Misra, “Chopped glass and recycled newspaper as reinforcement fibers in injection molded poly(lactic acid) (PLA) composites: a comparative study,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 66, no. 11-12, pp. 1813–1824, 2006.