- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 482810, 8 pages
Films from Glyoxal-Crosslinked Spruce Galactoglucomannans Plasticized with Sorbitol
1Department of Food and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 27, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
2Process Chemistry Centre, Åbo Akademi University, Porthansgatan 3, 20500 Åbo, Finland
Received 23 June 2011; Revised 22 September 2011; Accepted 3 October 2011
Academic Editor: Annamaria Celli
Copyright © 2012 Kirsi S. Mikkonen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Swift, “Directions for environmentally biodegradable polymer research,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 105–110, 1993.
- I. Moura, A. V. Machado, F. M. Duarte, and R. Nogueira, “Biodegradability assessment of aliphatic polyesters-based blends using standard methods,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 3338–3346, 2011.
- S. Willför, K. Sundberg, M. Tenkanen, and B. Holmbom, “Spruce-derived mannans—a potential raw material for hydrocolloids and novel advanced natural materials,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 197–210, 2008.
- T. Persson, A. K. Nordin, G. Zacchi, and A. S. Jönsson, “Economic evaluation of isolation of hemicelluloses from process streams from thermomechanical pulping of spruce,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 137–140, no. 1–12, pp. 741–752, 2007.
- A. C. Albertsson, J. Voepel, U. Edlund, O. Dahlman, and M. Söderqvist-Lindblad, “Design of renewable hydrogel release systems from fiberboard mill wastewater,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 1406–1411, 2010.
- T. Song, A. Pranovich, and B. Holmbom, “Characterisation of Norway spruce hemicelluloses extracted by pressurised hot-water extraction (ASE) in the presence of sodium bicarbonate,” Holzforschung, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2011.
- E. Sjöström, Wood Chemistry Fundamentals and Applications, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1993.
- C. Xu, S. Willför, K. Sundberg, C. Petterson, and B. Holmbom, “Physico-chemical characterization of spruce galactoglucomannan solutions: stability, surface activity and rheology,” Cellulose Chemistry and Technology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 51–62, 2008.
- J. Hartman, A. C. Albertsson, M. S. Lindblad, and J. Sjöberg, “Oxygen barrier materials from renewable sources: material properties of softwood hemicellulose-based films,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 2985–2991, 2006.
- K. S. Mikkonen, M. I. Heikkilä, H. Helén, L. Hyvönen, and M. Tenkanen, “Spruce galactoglucomannan films show promising barrier properties,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 1107–1112, 2010.
- U. Edlund, Y. Z. Ryberg, and A. C. Albertsson, “Barrier films from renewable forestry waste,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 2532–2538, 2010.
- K. S. Mikkonen, A. P. Mathew, K. Pirkkalainen et al., “Glucomannan composite films with cellulose nanowhiskers,” Cellulose, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 69–81, 2010.
- K. S. Mikkonen, J. S. Stevanic, C. Joly et al., “Composite films from spruce galactoglucomannans with microfibrillated spruce wood cellulose,” Cellulose, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 713–726, 2011.
- C. Marquié and S. Guilbert, “Formation and properties of cottonseed protein films and coatings,” in Protein-Based Films and Coatings, A. Gennadios, Ed., CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- R. J. Lewis, Hawley’s Condensed Chemical Dictionary, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 15th edition, 2007.
- N. R. Eldred and J. C. Spicer, “Glyoxal: a unique wet-strength agent,” Tappi, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 608–612, 1963.
- M. Gröndahl, L. Eriksson, P. Gatenholm, and T. Hjertberg, “Polymeric film or coating comprising hemicellulose,” Patent WO2008103123, August 2008.
- Y. U. Nabar, D. Draybuck, and R. Narayan, “Physicomechanical and hydrophobic properties of starch foams extruded with different biodegradable polymers,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 58–68, 2006.
- S. Suto and K. Suzuki, “Crosslinked hydroxypropyl cellulose films retaining cholesteric liquid crystalline order: 2. Anisotropic swelling behaviour in water,” Polymer, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 391–396, 1997.
- C. Marquié, A. M. Tessier, C. Aymard, and S. Guilbert, “How to monitor the protein cross-linking by formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde or glyoxal in cotton-seed protein-based films?” Nahrung, vol. 42, no. 3-4, pp. 264–265, 1998.
- S. Willför, P. Rehn, A. Sundberg, K. Sundbgerg, and B. Holmbom, “Recovery of water-soluble acetylgalactogluco-mannans from mechanical pulp of spruce,” Tappi Journal, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 27–32, 2003.
- F. Örså, B. Holmbom, and J. Thornton, “Dissolution and dispersion of spruce wood components into hot water,” Wood Science and Technology, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 279–290, 1997.
- L. Pitkänen, L. Virkki, M. Tenkanen, and P. Tuomainen, “Comprehensive multidetector HPSEC study on solution properties of cereal arabinoxylans in aqueous and DMSO solutions,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1962–1969, 2009.
- M. T. Kalichevsky and J. M. V. Blanshard, “The effect of fructose and water on the glass transition of amylopectin,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 107–113, 1993.
- ASTM, Standard Test Methods for Water Vapor Transmittance of Materials, Designation E 96/E 96M—05, 2005.
- T. P. Labuza, A. Kaanane, and J. Y. Chen, “Effect of temperature on the moisture sorption isotherms and water activity shift of two dehydrated foods,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 385–391, 1985.
- A. Gennadios, C. L. Weller, and C. H. Gooding, “Measurement errors in water vapor permeability of highly permeable, hydrophilic edible films,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 395–409, 1994.
- A. P. Mathew, W. Thielemans, and A. Dufresne, “Mechanical properties of nanocomposites from sorbitol plasticized starch and tunicin whiskers,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 109, no. 6, pp. 4065–4074, 2008.
- G. S. Banker, “Film coating theory and practice,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 81–89, 1966.
- K. S. Mikkonen, H. Rita, H. Helén, R. A. Talja, L. Hyvönen, and M. Tenkanen, “Effect of polysaccharide structure on mechanical and thermal properties of galactomannan-based films,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 3198–3205, 2007.
- K. S. Mikkonen, S. Heikkinen, A. Soovre et al., “Films from oat spelt arabinoxylan plasticized with glycerol and sorbitol,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 457–466, 2009.
- D. Lourdin, H. Bizot, and P. Colonna, “‘Antiplasticization’ in starch-glycerol films?” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 1047–1053, 1997.
- L. Godbillot, P. Dole, C. Joly, B. Rogé, and M. Mathlouthi, “Analysis of water binding in starch plasticized films,” Food Chemistry, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 380–386, 2006.
- G. Robertson, “State-of-the-art biobased food packaging materials,” in Environmentally Compatible Food Packaging, E. Chiellini, Ed., Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK, 2008.
- Y. Zhang and Z. Liu, “Starch-based edible films,” in Environmentally Compatible Food Packaging, E. Chiellini, Ed., Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK, 2008.