- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 609767, 10 pages
Self-Assembly of Cholesterol-Containing Water-Soluble Polymers
Department of Materials Science and Chemistry, University of Hyogo, 2167 Shosha, Himeji, Hyogo 671-2280, Japan
Received 15 August 2011; Accepted 29 September 2011
Academic Editor: Eri Yoshida
Copyright © 2012 Shin-ichi Yusa. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. McCormick, J. Bock, and D. N. Schulz, Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1989.
- P. Dubin, J. Bock, R. M. Davies, D. N. Schulz, and C. Thies, Macromolecular Complexes in Chemistry and Biology, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1994.
- J. E. Glass, Polymers in Aqueous Media: Performance through Association, Advances in Chemistry Series 223, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, USA, 1989.
- G. Némethy and H. A. Scheeaga, “Structure of water and hydrophobic bonding in proteins. I. A model for the thermodynamic properties of liquid water,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 3382–3400, 1962.
- G. Némethy and H. A. Scheraga, “Structure of water and hydrophobic bonding in proteins. II. Model for the thermodynamic properties of aqueous solutions of hydrocarbons,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 3401–3417, 1962.
- A. Halperin, M. Tirrell, and T. P. Lodge, “Tethered chains in polymer microstructures,” Advances in Polymer Science, vol. 100, pp. 30–71, 1991.
- Y. Morishima, “Unimolecular micelles of hydrophobically modified polyelectrolytes,” in Solvents and Self-Organization of Polymers, S. E. Webber, D. Tuzar, and P. Munk, Eds., pp. 331–358, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1996.
- S. E. Webber, “Polymer micelles: an example of self-assembling polymers,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 102, no. 15, pp. 2618–2626, 1998.
- A. Halperin, “On the collapse of multiblock copolymers,” Macromolecules, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1418–1419, 1991.
- A. N. Semenov, J. F. Joanny, and A. R. Khokhlov, “Associating polymers: equilibrium and linear viscoelasticity,” Macromolecules, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1066–1075, 1995.
- M. W. Urban and T. Provder, Multidimensional Spectroscopy of Polymers: Vibrational, NMR, and Fluorescence Techniques, ACS Symposium Series 598, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, USA, 1995.
- Y. Morishima, S. Nomura, T. Ikeda, M. Seki, and M. Kamachi, “Characterization of unimolecular micelles of random copolymers of sodium 2-(acrylamido)-2-methylpropanesulfonate and methacrylamides bearing bulky hydrophobic substituents,” Macromolecules, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 2874–2881, 1995.
- M. Seki, Y. Morishima, and M. Kamachi, “Characterization of the complexes of amphiphilic polyanions and double-chain cationic surfactants,” Macromolecules, vol. 25, no. 24, pp. 6540–6546, 1992.
- Y. Morishima, M. Tsuji, M. Seki, and M. Kamachi, “Synthesis, NMR relaxation, and photoisomerization of amphiphilic polyelectrolytes covalently tethered with azobenzene moieties having bulky hydrophobic substituents,” Macromolecules, vol. 26, no. 13, pp. 3299–3305, 1993.
- K. Kamioka, S. E. Webber, and Y. Morishima, “Solvent dependence of energy trapping in methacrylic acid-vinylphenanthrene block copolymers,” Macromolecules, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 972–978, 1988.
- Y. Morishima, H. S. Lim, S. I. Nozakura, and J. L. Sturtevant, “Effect of monomer sequence distribution in 2-vinylnaphthalene-maleic acid copolymers on energy migration excimer formation in aqueous solution,” Macromolecules, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 1148–1154, 1989.
- C. L. McCormick and Y. Chang, “Water-soluble copolymers. 58. Associative interactions and photophysical behavior of amphiphilic terpolymers prepared by modification of maleic anhydride/ethyl vinyl ether copolymers,” Macromolecules, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 2151–2158, 1994.
- K. Prochazka, D. Kiserow, C. Ramireddy, Z. Tuzar, P. Munk, and S. E. Webber, “Time-resolved fluorescence studies of the chain dynamics of naphthalene-labeled polystyrene-block-poly(methacrylic acid) micelles in aqueous media,” Macromolecules, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 454–460, 1992.
- C. L. McCormick and L. C. Salazar, “Water soluble copolymers: 46. Hydrophilic sulphobetaine copolymers of acrylamide and 3-(2-acrylamido-2-methylpropanedimethylammonio)-1-propanesulphonate,” Polymer, vol. 33, no. 21, pp. 4617–4624, 1992.
- Y. Chang and C. L. McCormick, “Water-soluble copolymers. 49. Effect of the distribution of the hydrophobic cationic monomer dimethyldodecyl(2-acrylamidoethyl)ammonium bromide on the solution behavior of associating acrylamide copolymers,” Macromolecules, vol. 26, no. 22, pp. 6121–6126, 1993.
- H. G. Elias, “Nonionic micelles,” Journal of Macromolecular Science: Part A, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 601–622, 1973.
- Z. Tuzar, P. Kratochvíl, K. Procházka, and P. Munk, “Block copolymer micelles in aqueous media,” Collection of Czechoslovak Chemical Communications, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 2362–2369, 1993.
- E. Matijevic, Surface and Colloid Science Series, vol. 51, Plenum, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- M. Tian, A. Qin, C. Ramireddy et al., “Hybridization of block copolymer micelles,” Langmuir, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1741–1748, 1993.
- F. M. Winnik, A. R. Davidson, G. K. Hamer, and H. Kitano, “Amphiphilic poly(N-isopropylacrylamides) prepared by using a lipophilic radical initiator: synthesis and solution properties in water,” Macromolecules, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1876–1880, 1992.
- A. Yamazaki, J. M. Song, F. M. Winnik, and J. L. Brash, “Synthesis and solution properties of fluorescently labeled amphiphilic (N-alkylacrylamide) oligomers,” Macromolecules, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 109–115, 1998.
- E. Alami, M. Almgren, W. Brown, and J. François, “Aggregation of hydrophobically end-capped poly(ethylene oxide) in aqueous solutions. Fluorescence and light-scattering studies,” Macromolecules, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 2229–2243, 1996.
- Y. Morishima, Y. Tominaga, M. Kamachi, T. Okada, Y. Hirata, and N. Mataga, “Photoinduced charge separation by chromophores encapsulated in the hydrophobic compartment of amphiphllic polyelectrolytes with various aliphatic hydrocarbons,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 95, no. 15, pp. 6027–6034, 1991.
- Y. Morishima, M. Tsuji, M. Kamachi, and K. Hatada, “Photochromic isomerization of azobenzene moieties compartmentalized in hydrophobic microdomains in a microphase structure of amphiphilic polyelectrolytes,” Macromolecules, vol. 25, no. 17, pp. 4406–4410, 1992.
- Y. Morishima, Y. Tominaga, S. Nomura, M. Kamachi, and T. Okada, “Rapid migration and trapping of photoexcited electronic energy in amphiphilic polyelectrolytes containing naphthalene chromophores and pyrene traps,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 1990–1994, 1992.
- H. Aota, Y. Morishima, and M. Kamachi, “Compartmentalization of zinc (II) tetraphenylporphyrin in a hydrophobic microdomain of an amphiphilic polyelectrolyte: a physicochemical model of biological metalloporphyrin systems,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 57, no. S1, pp. 989–995, 1993.
- R. A. Demel and B. De Kruyff, “The function of sterols in membranes,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 457, no. 2, pp. 109–132, 1976.
- H. Ringsdorf, B. Schlarb, and J. Venzmer, “Molecular architecture and function of polymeric oriented systems: models for the study of organization, surface recognition, and dynamics of biomembrnaes,” Angewandte Chemie International, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 113–158, 1988.
- V. P. Shibaev, N. A. Platé, and Y. S. Freidzon, “Thermotropic liquid crystalline polymers. I. Cholesterol-containing polymers and copolymers,” Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1655–1670, 1979.
- V. P. Shibaev, R. V. Tal'roze, F. I. Karakhanova, and N. A. Platé, “Thermotropic liquid crystalline polymers. II. Polymers with amino acid fragments in the side chains,” Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1671–1684, 1979.
- T. Yamaguchi, T. Asada, H. Hayashi, and N. Nakamura, “Dependence of the packing structure of mesogenic groups on the flexible spacer length of liquid crystalline side-chain polymers,” Macromolecules, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 1141–1144, 1989.
- K. Akiyoshi, K. Nagai, T. Nishikawa, and J. Sunamoto, “Self-aggregates of hydrophobized polysaccharide as a host for macromolecular guests,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1727–1730, 1992.
- K. Akiyoshi, S. Deguchi, N. Moriguchi, S. Yamaguchi, and J. Sunamoto, “Self-aggregates of hydrophobized polysaccharides in water. Formation and characteristics of nanoparticles,” Macromolecules, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 3062–3068, 1993.
- S. Deguchi, K. Akiyoshi, and J. Sunamoto, “Solution property of hydrophobized pullulan conjugated with poly(ethylene oxide)-poly(propylene oxide)-poly(ethylene oxide) block copolymer. Formation of nanoparticles and their thermosensitivity,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 705–711, 1994.
- T. Nishikawa, K. Akiyoshi, and J. Sunamoto, “Supramolecular assembly between nanoparticles of hydrophobized polysaccharide and soluble protein complexation between the self-aggregate of cholesterol-bearing pullulan and α-chymotrypsin,” Macromolecules, vol. 27, no. 26, pp. 7654–7659, 1994.
- K. Akiyoshi, S. Deguchi, H. Tajima, T. Nishikawa, and J. Sunamoto, “Self-assembly of hydrophobized polysaccharide. Structure of hydrogel nanoparticle and complexation with organic compounds,” Proceedings of the Japan Academy B, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 15–19, 1995.
- S. I. Yusa, M. Kamachi, and Y. Morishima, “Hydrophobic self-association of cholesterol moieties covalently linked to polyelectrolytes: effect of spacer bond,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 21, pp. 6059–6067, 1998.
- S. I. Yusa, A. Hashidzume, and Y. Morishima, “Interpolymer association of cholesterol pendants linked to a polyelectrolyte as studied by quasielastic light scattering and fluorescence techniques,” Langmuir, vol. 15, no. 26, pp. 8826–8831, 1999.
- S. I. Yusa, M. Kamachi, and Y. Morishima, “Self-association of cholesterol-end-capped poly(sodium 2-(acrylamido)-2-methylpropanesulfonate) in aqueous solution,” Macromolecules, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 1224–1231, 2000.
- B. Lindman and P. Alexandridis, Amphiphilic Block Copolymer, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2000.
- I. W. Hamley, Block Copolymers in Solution, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- D. E. Discher and A. Eisenberg, “Polymer vesicles,” Science, vol. 297, no. 5583, pp. 967–973, 2002.
- H. Kukula, H. Schlaad, M. Antonietti, and S. Förster, “The formation of polymer vesicles or "peptosomes" by polybutadiene-block-poly(L-glutamate)s in dilute aqueous solution,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 8, pp. 1658–1663, 2002.
- R. Piñol, L. Jia, F. Gubellini et al., “Self-assembly of PEG-b-liquid crystal polymer: the role of smectic order in the formation of nanofibers,” Macromolecules, vol. 40, no. 16, pp. 5625–5627, 2007.