- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 827967, 10 pages
A Novel Approach to Design Chitosan-Polyester Materials for Biomedical Applications
1N. S. Enikolopov Institute of Synthetic Polymer Materials, Russian Academy of Sciences, 70 Profsoyuznaya Street, Moscow 117393, Russia
2N. M. Emanuel Institute of Biochemical Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences, 4 Kosygina Street, Moscow 119334, Russia
3Centre Interfacultaire des Biomatériaux, University of Liege, B6c, 4000 Liège, Belgium
Received 26 November 2011; Accepted 12 March 2012
Academic Editor: Kibret Mequanint
Copyright © 2012 Tatiana A. Akopova et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Garlotta, “A literature review of poly(lactic acid),” Journal of Polymers and the Environment, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 63–84, 2001.
- P. Simamora and W. Chern, “Poly-L-lactic acid: an overview,” JDD: Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 436–440, 2006.
- L. Lu, S. J. Peter, M. D. Lyman et al., “In vitro and in vivo degradation of porous poly(DL-lactic-co-glycolic acid) foams,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 18, pp. 1837–1845, 2000.
- Y. P. Jiao and F. Z. Cui, “Surface modification of polyester biomaterials for tissue engineering,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. R24–R37, 2007.
- R. A. A. Muzzarelli and C. Muzzarelli, “Chitosan chemistry: relevance to the biomedical sciences,” Advances in Polymer Science, vol. 186, pp. 151–209, 2005.
- K. C. Gupta and M. N. V. Ravi Kumar, “An overview on chitin and chitosan applications with an emphasis on controlled drug release formulations,” Journal of Macromolecular Science, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 273–308, 2000.
- N. M. Breyner, R. C. R. Hell, L. R. P. Carvalho et al., “Effect of a three-dimensional chitosan porous scaffold on the differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells into chondrocytes,” Cells Tissues Organs, vol. 191, no. 2, pp. 119–128, 2010.
- R. Jin, L. S. Moreira Teixeira, P. J. Dijkstra et al., “Injectable chitosan-based hydrogels for cartilage tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 13, pp. 2544–2551, 2009.
- J. K. Francis Suh and H. W. T. Matthew, “Application of chitosan-based polysaccharide biomaterials in cartilage tissue engineering: a review,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 24, pp. 2589–2598, 2000.
- Y. L. Cui, A. D. Qi, W. G. Liu et al., “Biomimetic surface modification of poly(L-lactic acid) with chitosan and its effects on articular chondrocytes in vitro,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 21, pp. 3859–3868, 2003.
- N. Bhattarai, H. R. Ramay, S. H. Chou, and M. Zhang, “Chitosan and lactic acid-grafted chitosan nanoparticles as carriers for prolonged drug delivery,” International journal of nanomedicine, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 181–187, 2006.
- F. Sébastien, G. Stéphane, A. Copinet, and V. Coma, “Novel biodegradable films made from chitosan and poly(lactic acid) with antifungal properties against mycotoxinogen strains,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 185–193, 2006.
- F. Yao, W. Chena, H. Wang et al., “A study on cytocompatible poly(chitosan-g-L-lactic acid),” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 21, pp. 6435–6441, 2003.
- V. M. Correlo, L. F. Boesel, M. Bhattacharya, J. F. Mano, N. M. Neves, and R. L. Reis, “Properties of melt processed chitosan and aliphatic polyester blends,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 403, no. 1-2, pp. 57–68, 2005.
- A. N. Ozerin, A. N. Zelenetskii, T. A. Akopova, et al., RF Patent 2292354, 2007.
- A. A. Zharov, “Reactions of solid monomers and polymers under shear deformation and high pressure,” in High-Pressure Chemistry and Physics of Polymers, A. L. Kovarskii, Ed., pp. 267–301, CRC Press, London, UK, 1994.
- V. A. Zhorin, “Processes accompanying plastic flow under high pressure in polymers and low-molecular substances (review),” Polymer Science Series A, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 559–579, 1994.
- E. V. Prut and A. N. Zelenetskii, “Chemical modification and blending of polymers in an extruder reactor,” Russian Chemical Reviews, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 65–79, 2001.
- P. Y. Butyagin, “Forced reactions in inorganic and organic chemistry,” Colloid Journal of the Russian Academy of Sciences, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 537–544, 1999.
- S. Z. Rogovina, T. A. Akopova, and G. A. Vikhoreva, “Investigation of properties of chitosan obtained by solid-phase and suspension methods,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 927–933, 1998.
- S. Z. Rogovina, G. A. Vikhoreva, T. A. Akopova, and I. N. Gorbacheva, “Investigation of interaction of chitosan with solid organic acids and anhydrides under conditions of shear deformation,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 76, pp. 616–622, 2000.
- T. S. Demina, T. A. Akopova, L. V. Vladimirov et al., “The study of the interaction between chitosan and 2,2-bis(hydroxymethyl) propionic acid during solid-phase synthesis,” Polymer Science—Series B, vol. 53, no. 5-6, pp. 358–370, 2011.
- T. A. Akopova, E. A. Markvicheva, A. N. Zelenetskii, A. N. Ozerin, L. V. Vladimirov, and Y. D. Livney, “Solid-state reactive blending—a promising way to biomedical polymer materials,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference Fundamental Basis of Mechanochemical Technologies (FBMT '09), p. 80, Novosibirsk, Russia, 2009.
- C. Muzzarelli and R. A. A. Muzzarelli, “Natural and artificial chitosan-inorganic composites,” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 89–94, 2002.
- A. N. Ozerin, N. S. Perov, A. N. Zelenetskii et al., “Hybrid nanocomposites based on graft copolymer of chitosan with poly(vinyl alcohol) and titanium oxide,” Nanotechnologies in Russia, vol. 4, no. 5-6, pp. 331–339, 2009.
- A. N. Zelenetskii, T. A. Akopova, N. R. Kildeeva, G. A. Vikhoreva, E. S. Obolonkova, and A. A. Zharov, “Immobilization of trypsin on polysaccharides upon intense mechanical treatment,” Russian Chemical Bulletin, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 2073–2077, 2003.