- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Infectious Diseases
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 876450, 4 pages
Proof That Chronic Lyme Disease Exists
Department of Medicine, Northern Westchester Hospital, Mt. Kisco, NY 10549, USA
Received 11 December 2009; Accepted 26 March 2010
Academic Editor: Guey Chuen Perng
Copyright © 2010 Daniel J. Cameron. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. A. Shadick, C. B. Phillips, E. L. Logigian, et al., “The long-term clinical outcomes of Lyme disease. A population-based retrospective cohort study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 121, no. 8, pp. 560–567, 1994.
- E. S. Asch, D. I. Bujak, M. Weiss, M. G. E. Peterson, and A. Weinstein, “Lyme disease: an infectious and postinfectious syndrome,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 454–461, 1994.
- M. S. Klempner, L. T. Hu, J. Evans, et al., “Two controlled trials of antibiotic treatment in patients with persistent symptoms and a history of Lyme disease,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 2, pp. 85–92, 2001.
- B. A. Fallon, J. G. Keilp, K. M. Corbera, et al., “A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of repeated IV antibiotic therapy for Lyme encephalopathy,” Neurology, vol. 70, no. 13, pp. 992–1003, 2008.
- L. B. Krupp, L. G. Hyman, R. Grimson, et al., “Study and treatment of post Lyme disease (STOP-LD): a randomized double masked clinical trial,” Neurology, vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 1923–1930, 2003.
- M. S. Klempner, “Controlled trials of antibiotic treatment in patients with post-treatment chronic Lyme disease,” Vector Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 255–263, 2002.
- D. J. Cameron, “Clinical trials validate the severity of persistent Lyme disease symptoms,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 153–156, 2009.
- X. Zhang, M. I. Meltzer, C. A. Pena, A. B. Hopkins, L. Wroth, and A. D. Fix, “Economic impact of Lyme disease,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 653–660, 2006.
- G. P. Wormser, R. J. Dattwyler, E. D. Shapiro, et al., “The clinical assessments treatment, and prevention of Lyme disease, human granulocytic anaplasmosis, and babesiosis: clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 1089–1134, 2006.
- N. A. Shadick, C. B. Phillips, O. Sangha, et al., “Musculoskeletal and neurologic outcomes in patients with previously treated Lyme disease,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 131, no. 12, pp. 919–926, 1999.
- E. Hodzic, S. Feng, K. Holden, K. J. Freet, and S. W. Barthold, “Persistence of Borrelia burgdorferi following antibiotic treatment in mice,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1728–1736, 2008.
- H. Yrjänäinen, J. Hytönen, K.-O. Söderström, J. Oksi, K. Hartiala, and M. K. Viljanen, “Persistent joint swelling and borrelia-specific antibodies in Borrelia garinii-infected mice after eradication of vegetative spirochetes with antibiotic treatment,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 2044–2051, 2006.
- J. J. Halperin, E. D. Shapiro, E. Logigian, et al., “Practice parameter: treatment of nervous system Lyme disease (an evidence-based review): report of the quality standards subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology,” Neurology, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 91–102, 2007.
- G. P. Wormser, R. Ramanathan, J. Nowakowski, et al., “Duration of antibiotic therapy for early Lyme disease: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 138, no. 9, pp. 697–704, 2003.
- H. M. Feder Jr. and D. L. Whitaker, “Misdiagnosis of erythema migrans,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 412–419, 1995.
- M. C. Reid, R. T. Schoen, J. Evans, J. C. Rosenberg, and R. I. Horwitz, “The consequences of overdiagnosis and overtreatment of Lyme disease: an observational study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 354–362, 1998.
- M. Vrethem, L. Hellblom, M. Widlund, et al., “Chronic symptoms are common in patients with neuroborreliosis—a questionnaire follow-up study,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 205–208, 2002.
- A. C. Steere, E. Taylor, G. L. McHugh, and E. L. Logigian, “The overdiagnosis of Lyme disease,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 269, no. 14, pp. 1812–1816, 1993.
- A. L. Hassett, D. C. Radvanski, S. Buyske, S. V. Savage, and L. H. Sigal, “Psychiatric comorbidity and other psychological factors in patients with “chronic Lyme disease”,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 122, no. 9, pp. 843–850, 2009.
- D. J. Cameron, “Insufficient evidence to deny antibiotic treatment to chronic Lyme disease patients,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 688–691, 2009.
- S. Silverman, E. M. Dukes, S. S. Johnston, N. A. Brandenburg, A. Sadosky, and D. M. Huse, “The economic burden of fibromyalgia: comparative analysis with rheumatoid arthritis,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 829–840, 2009.
- A. E. Clarke, J. M. Esdaile, D. A. Bloch, D. Lacaille, D. S. Danoff, and J. F. Fries, “A Canadian study of the total medical costs for patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and the predictors of costs,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 1548–1559, 1993.
- G. D. Ebel, E. N. Campbell, H. K. Goethert, A. Spielman, and S. R. Telford III, “Enzootic transmission of deer tick virus in new England and Wisconsin sites,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 63, no. 1-2, pp. 36–42, 2000.
- http://www.ct.gov/ag/lib/ag/health/0129lyme.pdf, p. 290, 2008.
- D. J. Cameron, “Generalizability in two clinical trials of Lyme disease,” Epidemiologic Perspectives and Innovations, vol. 3, article 12, 2006.
- J. J. Halperin, “Prolonged Lyme disease treatment: enough is enough,” Neurology, vol. 70, no. 13, pp. 986–987, 2008.
- B. H. Skogman, S. Croner, M. Nordwall, M. Eknefelt, J. Ernerudh, and P. Forsberg, “Lyme neuroborreliosis in children: a prospective study of clinical features, prognosis, and outcome,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1089–1094, 2008.
- B. J. Bloom, P. M. Wyckoff, H. C. Meissner, and A. C. Steere, “Neurocognitive abnormalities in children after classic manifestations of Lyme disease,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 189–196, 1998.
- M. Vázquez, S. S. Sparrow, and E. D. Shapiro, “Long-term neuropsychologic and health outcomes of children with facial nerve palsy attributable to Lyme disease,” Pediatrics, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. e93–e97, 2003.