- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 138931, 10 pages
Ensuring Mobility-Supporting Environments for an Aging Population: Critical Actors and Collaborations
1Division of Emergency and Environmental Health Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
2Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Received 28 January 2011; Accepted 21 April 2011
Academic Editor: Steven Hooker
Copyright © 2011 Chris S. Kochtitzky et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Federal Interagency Forum on Aging-Related Statistics, “Older Americans 2010: key indicators of well-being,” Hyattsville, Md, USA, http://www.agingstats.gov/agingstatsdotnet/Main_Site/Data/2010_Documents/Docs/OA_2010.pdf.
- Y. Gorina and H. Lentzner, “Multiple causes of death in old age,” Aging Trends, no. 9, pp. 1–9, 2008.
- C. F. Dillon, Q. Gu, H. J. Hoffman, and C. W. Ko, “Vision, hearing, balance, and sensory impairment in Americans aged 70 years and over: United States, 1999–2006,” NCHS Data Brief, no. 31, pp. 1–8, 2010.
- Administration on Aging, “A profile of older americans: 2009, disability and activity limitations,” http://www.aoa.gov/AoARoot/Aging_Statistics/Profile/2009/16.aspx.
- R. H. Lawrence, S. L. Tennstedt, L. E. Kasten, J. Shih, J. Howland, and A. M. Jette, “Intensity and correlates of fear of falling and hurting oneself in the next year: baseline findings from a roybal center fear of falling intervention,” Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 267–286, 1998.
- B. J. Vellas, S. J. Wayne, L. J. Romero, R. N. Baumgartner, and P. J. Garry, “Fear of falling and restriction of mobility in elderly fallers,” Age and Ageing, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 189–193, 1997.
- G. Hendershot, “Community participation and life satisfaction,” 2003, www.nod.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Feature.showFeature&FeatureID=1129.
- J. Lynott, B. McCann, E. Stollof, et al., “Planning complete streets for an aging america,” 2009, http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/aging_center/aging_demographics.cfm.
- Mayo Clinic Robert and Arlene Kogod Center on Aging—Aging Demographics, http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/aging_center/aging_demographics.cfm.
- “White House Conference on Aging, 2005. The booming dynamics of aging: from awareness to action,” 2005, http://www.whcoa.gov/Final_Report_June_14nowater.pdf.
- CDC Prevention Research Centers Healthy Aging Research Network. Logic Model Narrative, 2005, http://www.prc-han.org/docs/logicmodnarrative.pdf.
- World Health Organization, 2002. Towards a Common Language for Functioning, Disability and Health: The International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF), http://www.who.int/classifications/icf/training/icfbeginnersguide.pdf.
- EPC Clearinghouse: Searchable Database of Environmental and Policy Change Resources, http://depts.washington.edu/hansite/drupal/?t=1288667091814.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Environmental Health, Healthy Places Website, Additional Resources, 2010, http://www.cdc.gov/healthyplaces/resources.htm.
- Healthy Aging Research Network Social Ecologic Model of Healthy Aging (Modified from sources: McLeroy et al., 1988, Health Educ Q; Sallis et al., 1998, American Journal of Preventive Medicine), http://www.prc-han.org/docs/semodel.pdf.
- J. F. Sallis, A. Bauman, and M. Pratt, “Environmental and policy interventions to promote physical activity,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 379–397, 1998.
- American Institute of Architects, 2006. Blueprint for America, http://www.aia150.org/files/bl150_criteria_0106.pdf.
- American Institute of Architects. AIA Communities by Design's 10 Principles for Livable Communities, http://www.aia.org/about/initiatives/AIAS075369.
- R. Mace, The Center for Universal Design. North Carolina State University, 1997, http://www.ncsu.edu/ncsu/design/cud/about_ud/about_ud.htm.
- J. Maisel, E. Smith, and E. Steineld, “Increasing home access: designing for visitability. AARP public policy institute,” 2008, http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/il/2008_14_access.pdf.
- National Society of Professional Engineers, “NSPE code of ethics for engineers,” 2010, http://www.nspe.org/Ethics/CodeofEthics/index.html.
- National Academy of Building Inspection Engineers, “Certification Program Guidelines,” 2007, http://www.nabie.org/certprogram.html.
- Homes for Life: A Voluntary Universal Design Certification Program, 2008. (Johnson County Livable Community for Successful Aging Initiative and the Greater Iowa City Area Home Builders Association), http://www.icgov.org/site/CMSv2/file/housing/HomesforLife.pdf.
- National Association of Home Builders, 2009. Policy on Accessibility Requirements for Fair Housing, http://www.huduser.org/publications/pdf/fairhousing/fairappa.pdf.
- Description of the NAHB Certified Aging-In-Place Specialist (CAPS) program 2011, http://www.nahb.org/page.aspx/category/sectionID=686.
- “Code of professional ethics for housing authority commissioners,” Public Housing Authorities Directors Association, http://www.phada.org/coecom.pdf.
- CSH-NCSHA e-Manual for Supportive Housing Funders: A Guide to Tools and Resources for State Housing Finance Agencies and Other Public Funders of Supportive Housing (developed jointly by the Corporation for Supportive Housing and the National Council of State Housing Agencies 2008, http://documents.csh.org/documents/eManualFunders/CSH_NCSHAeManualforFunders.pdf.
- NAHRO Policy Position on Elderly and Disabled. National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials, http://184.108.40.206/programs/other/elderly/index.cfm.
- Safe States Alliance Mission Statement, http://www.safestates.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1.
- Issue Brief: Effective Transportation Policies Require Injury Prevention Strategies. State & Territorial Injury Prevention Directors Association 2009, http://www.safestates.org/associations/5805/files/IVP%20and%20Transportation%20Policy%20-%20STIPDA%202009.pdf.
- American Occupational Therapy Association, “Occupational therapy practice framework: domain and process,” American Journal of Occupational Therapy, vol. 56, pp. 609–639, 2002.
- Gerontological Society of America Mission Statement, http://www.geron.org/About%20Us/Our%20Mission.
- Gerontological Society of America. List of Formal Interest Groups, http://www.geron.org/Resources/Interest%20Groups/formal-interest-groups#physical.
- Gerontological Society of America. Social Research, Policy, Practice Section Website, http://www.geron.org/Membership/Sections/Social%20Research,%20Policy%20&%20Practice?Practice.
- American Planning Association. Policy Guide on Surface Transportation (2010), http://www.planning.org/policy/guides/adopted/surfacetransportation.htm.
- T. Rosen, “Grey Matters,” Duke Magazine, vol. 92, no. 6, 2006.
- John Knox Village, http://www.johnknoxvillage.com/home-styles/home-styles-overview/.
- American Society of Landscape Architects Leadership Handbook, 2010, http://www.asla.org/Leadershiphandbook.aspx?id=3766&ItemIdString=eeb11f839_34_116_3766.
- ASLA Professional Practice Resource Center, “Livable communities guide,” 2010, http://www.asla.org/contentdetail.aspx?id=23888.
- ASLA Policy Statement on Universal Design, 2001, http://www.asla.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=3696.
- ASLA Policy Statement on Livable Communities, 2008, http://www.asla.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=3660.
- US Environmental Protection Agency, Aging Initiative. Growing smarter, living healthier: A guide to smart growth and active aging. EPA 100-K-09012, August 2009.
- C. R. Clark, I. Kawachi, L. Ryan, K. Ertel, M. E. Fay, and L. F. Berkman, “Perceived neighborhood safety and incident mobility disability among elders: The hazards of poverty,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, article no. 162, 2009.
- International Association of Chiefs of Police, Crime Prevention: Support of actively eliminating criminal victimization of the elderly, http://www.iacp.org/resolution/index.cfm?fa=dis_public_view&resolution_id=297&CFID=66844068&CFTOKEN=12291186.
- Partners for Livable Communities and National Association of Area Agencies on Aging, “A Blueprint for action: developing livable communities for all ages,” http://www.n4a.org/pdf/07-116-N4A-Blueprint4ActionWCovers.pdf.
- The National Association of Agencies on Aging, “The maturing of america: getting communities on track for an aging population,” 2006, http://www.n4a.org/files/programs/livable-communities/maturing-of-america.pdf.
- L. I. Iezzoni and B. R. O'Day, More than Ramps: A Guide to Improving Health Care Quality and Access for People with Disabilities, Oxford Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- Institute of Medicine (IOM), The Future of Disability in America, The National Academics Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2007.
- American Hospital Association, http://www.aha.org/aha/about/index.html.
- Association of Metropolitan Planning Organizations, http://www.ampo.org/what/index.php.
- Atlanta Regional Commission Lifelong Communities, 2010, http://www.atlantaregional.com/aging-resources/lifelong-communities-llc.
- NACCHO Policy Statement on Health and Disability, http://www.naccho.org/advocacy/positions/upload/08-02Health-and-Disability.pdf.
- NACCHO Model Practices Database: Maryland Access Point of Worcester County, http://www.naccho.org/topics/modelpractices/database/practice.cfm?practiceID=414.
- The Trust for Public Land, The Benefits of Parks: Why American needs more city parks and open space, 2006.
- National Recreation and Parks Association, AARP Walking Program, http://www.nrpa.org/aarp/.
- “Institute of Transportation Engineers Safety Action Plan,” 2000, http://www.ite.org/pdf/safeactplan.pdf.
- National League of Cities, “Transportation Infrastructure and Services Principles and Policies,” 2009, http://www.nlc.org/influence-federal-policy/policy-committees/transportation-infrastructure–services.
- U.S. Conference of Mayors Community Development and Housing Policy: Housing for the Elderly, 1999, http://www.usmayors.org/resolutions/67th_conference/housing_housing.htm.
- National Association of Counties Human Services and Education Policy Resolutions, 2010, http://www.naco.org/legislation/policies/Documents/Human%20Services/HSE%2010-11%20Platform%20and%20Resolutions.pdf.
- Spectrum of Prevention, Prevention Institute, http://www.preventioninstitute.org/component/taxonomy/term/list/94/127.html.
- Collaboration Multiplier , Prevention Institute, http://www.preventioninstitute.org/component/jlibrary/article/id-44/127.html.
- Institute of Medicine, The future of the public's health in the 21st century, National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2002.