- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 657508, 8 pages
A Review of the Effects of Physical Activity and Exercise on Cognitive and Brain Functions in Older Adults
1PERFORM Centre, Concordia University, Montreal, QC, Canada
2Research Center, Institut Universitaire de Gériatrie de Montréal, Montreal, QC, Canada
3Department of Psychology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
4Department of Physical Therapy, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
5Brain Research Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Received 8 May 2013; Accepted 31 July 2013
Academic Editor: Karl Rosengren
Copyright © 2013 Louis Bherer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [66 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Ondine van de Rest, Nikita L. van der Zwaluw, Michael Tieland, Jos J. Adam, Gert Jan Hiddink, Luc J.C. van Loon, and Lisette C.P.G.M. de Groot, “Effect of resistance-type exercise training with or without protein supplementation on cognitive functioning in frail and pre-frail elderly: Secondary analysis of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, 2013.
- Ye-Jin Lee, Joo-Hyun Lee, Yeong-Jo Kim, No-Yul Yang, and Ji-Hyuk Park, “The Effect of Multimodal Intervention on Quality of Life, Depression, and Cognitive Function in Elderly People With Dementia: A Pilot Study,” The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 85–97, 2014.
- Elizabeth Grossman, “Time after Time Environmental Influences on the Aging Brain,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 122, no. 9, pp. A238–A243, 2014.
- C.J. Gauthier, M. Lefort, S. Mekary, L. Desjardins-Crépeau, A. Skimminge, P. Iversen, C. Madjar, M. Desjardins, F. Lesage, E. Garde, F. Frouin, L. Bherer, and R.D. Hoge, “Hearts and minds: linking vascular rigidity and aerobic fitness with cognitive aging,” Neurobiology of Aging, 2014.
- Monica Fabiani, Kathy A. Low, Chin-Hong Tan, Benjamin Zimmerman, Mark A. Fletcher, Nils Schneider-Garces, Edward L. Maclin, Antonio M. Chiarelli, Bradley P. Sutton, and Gabriele Gratton, “Taking the pulse of aging: Mapping pulse pressure and elasticity in cerebral arteries with optical methods,” Psychophysiology, 2014.
- Marleen Huijben-Schoenmakers, Arno Rademaker, Peter van Rooden, and Erik Scherder, “The effects of increased therapy time on cognition and mood in frail patients with a stroke who rehabilitate on rehabilitation units of nursing homes in the Netherlands: a protocol of a comparative study,” Bmc Geriatrics, vol. 14, 2014.
- Thomas M. Dannhauser, Martin Cleverley, Tim J. Whitfield, Ben (C) Fletcher, Tim Stevens, and Zuzana Walker, “A complex multimodal activity intervention to reduce the risk of dementia in mild cognitive impairment-ThinkingFit: pilot and feasibility study for a randomized controlled trial,” Bmc Psychiatry, vol. 14, 2014.
- Benjamin Zimmerman, Bradley P. Sutton, Kathy A. Low, Mark A. Fletcher, Chin Hong Tan, Nils Schneider-Garces, Yanfen Li, Cheng Ouyang, Edward L. Maclin, Gabriele Gratton, and Monica Fabiani, “Cardiorespiratory fitness mediates the effects of aging on cerebral blood flow,” Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, vol. 6, 2014.
- Dae Yun Seo, Sung Ryul Lee, Nari Kim, Kyung Soo Ko, Byoung Doo Rhee, and Jin Han, “Humanized animal exercise model for clinical implication,” Pflügers Archiv - European Journal of Physiology, 2014.
- Ulman Lindenberger, “Human cognitive aging: Corriger la fortune?,” Science, vol. 346, no. 6209, pp. 572–578, 2014.
- Nicolas Berryman, Louis Bherer, Sylvie Nadeau, Selena Lauziere, Lora Lehr, Florian Bobeuf, Maxime Lussier, Marie Jeanne Kergoat, Ttm Thien Tuong Minh Vu, and Laurent Bosquet, “Multiple roads lead to Rome: combined high-intensity aerobic and strength training vs. gross motor activities leads to equivalent improvement in executive functions in a cohort of healthy older adults,” Age, vol. 36, no. 5, 2014.
- Daniel H. Daneshvar, Victor E. Alvarez, and Thor D. Stein, “The neuropathology of sport,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 29–51, 2014.
- Joshua W. Kirton, and Vonetta M. Dotson, “The interactive effects of age, education, and BMI on cognitive functioning,” Aging, Neuropsychology, and Cognition, pp. 1–10, 2015.
- Vincent Koppelmans, Ajitkumar P. Mulavara, Peng Yuan, Kaitlin E. Cassady, Katherine A. Cooke, Scott J. Wood, Patricia A. Reuter-Lorenz, Yiri E. De Dios, Vahagn Stepanyan, Darcy L. Szecsy, Nichole E. Gadd, Igor Kofman, Jessica M. Scott, Meghan E. Downs, Jacob J. Bloomberg, Lori Ploutz-Snyder, and Rachael D. Seidler, “Exercise as potential countermeasure for the effects of 70 days of bed rest on cognitive and sensorimotor performance,” Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience, vol. 9, 2015.
- Graziella Rubino, “Complex liaisons moving forward the Parkinson’s disease? An appraisal,” Basal Ganglia, 2015.
- Samuel D. Searle, and Kenneth Rockwood, “Frailty and the risk of cognitive impairment,” Alzheimer's Research & Therapy, vol. 7, no. 1, 2015.
- S. Wuerth, T. Finkenzeller, B. Poetzelsberger, E. Mueller, and G. Amesberger, “Alpine Skiing With total knee ArthroPlasty (ASWAP): physical activity, knee function, pain, exertion, and well-being,” Scandinavian Journal Of Medicine & Science In Sports, vol. 25, pp. 74–81, 2015.
- Robert H. Howland, ““I Want a New Drug”: Exercise as a Pharmacological Therapy,” Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 13–16, 2015.
- Bryna Shatenstein, Pascale Barberger-Gateau, and Patrizia Mecocci, “Prevention of Age-Related Cognitive Decline: Which Strategies, When, and forWhom?,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 35–53, 2015.
- Jessica Finlay, Thea Franke, Heather McKay, and Joanie Sims-Gould, “Therapeutic landscapes and wellbeing in later life: Impacts of blue and green spaces for older adults,” Health & Place, vol. 34, pp. 97–106, 2015.
- Terry C. Burns, and Catherine M. Verfaillie, “From mice to mind: Strategies and progress in translating neuroregeneration,” European Journal Of Pharmacology, vol. 759, pp. 90–100, 2015.
- Eduard Tiozzo, Mehdi Youbi, Kunjan Dave, Miguel Perez-Pinzon, Tatjana Rundek, Ralph L. Sacco, David Loewenstein, John E. Lewis, and Clinton B. Wright, “Aerobic, Resistance, and Cognitive Exercise Training Poststroke,” Stroke, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 2012–2016, 2015.
- Cristy Phillips, Mehmet Akif Baktir, Devsmita Das, Bill Lin, and Ahmad Salehi, “The Link Between Physical Activity and Cognitive Dysfunction in Alzheimer Disease,” Physical Therapy, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 1046–1060, 2015.
- Matthew Baumgart, Heather M. Snyder, Maria C. Carrillo, Sam Fazio, Hye Kim, and Harry Johns, “,” Alzheimer's & Dementia, 2015.
- Da-Chen Chu, Kenneth R. Fox, Li-Jung Chen, and Po-Wen Ku, “Components of Late-Life Exercise and Cognitive Function: an 8-Year Longitudinal Study,” Prevention Science, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 568–577, 2015.
- Daniel W. Belsky, Avshalom Caspi, Salomon Israel, James A. Blumenthal, Richie Poulton, and Terrie E. Moffitt, “Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Cognitive Function in Midlife: Neuroprotection or Neuroselection?,” Annals Of Neurology, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 607–617, 2015.
- Magdalena I. Tolea, John C. Morris, and James E. Galvin, “Longitudinal Associations between Physical and Cognitive Performance among Community-Dwelling Older Adults,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 4, 2015.
- Vjera A. Holthoff, Kira Marschner, Maria Scharf, Julius Steding, Shirin Meyer, Rainer Koch, and Markus Donix, “Effects of Physical Activity Training in Patients with Alzheimer's Dementia: Results of a Pilot RCT Study,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 4, 2015.
- Kumar Sharma, “Mitochondrial Hormesis and Diabetic Complications,” Diabetes, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 663–672, 2015.
- Robert H. Howland, “Aspergillus, Angiogenesis, and Obesity The Story Behind Beloranib,” Journal Of Psychosocial Nursing And Mental Health Services, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 13–16, 2015.
- Orla O’Sullivan, Owen Cronin, Siobhan F Clarke, Eileen F Murphy, Micheal G Molloy, Fergus Shanahan, and Paul D Cotter, “Exercise and the microbiota,” Gut Microbes, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 131–136, 2015.
- Louis Bherer, “Cognitive plasticity in older adults: effects of cognitive training and physical exercise,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1337, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2015.
- Travis M. Cruickshank, Jennifer A. Thompson, Juan F. D. Dominguez, Alvaro P. Reyes, Mike Bynevelt, Nellie Georgiou-Karistianis, Roger A. Barker, and Mel R. Ziman, “The effect of multidisciplinary rehabilitation on brain structure and cognition in Huntington's disease: an exploratory study,” Brain And Behavior, vol. 5, no. 2, 2015.
- Olivier Dupuy, Claudine J. Gauthier, Sarah A. Fraser, Laurence Desjardins-CrÃ¨peau, MichÃ¨le Desjardins, Said Mekary, Frederic Lesage, Rick D. Hoge, Philippe Pouliot, and Louis Bherer, “Higher levels of cardiovascular fitness are associated with better executive function and prefrontal oxygenation in younger and older women,” Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, vol. 9, 2015.
- M. E. McNeely, R. P. Duncan, and G. M. Earhart, “Impacts of dance on non-motor symptoms, participation, and quality of life in Parkinson disease and healthy older adults,” Maturitas, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 336–341, 2015.
- Anne Canivet, Cedric T. Albinet, Nathalie Andre, Jean Pylouster, Montserrat Rodriguez-Ballesteros, Alain Kitzis, and Michel Audiffren, “Effects of BDNF polymorphism and physical activity on episodic memory in the elderly: a cross sectional study,” European Review Of Aging And Physical Activity, vol. 12, 2015.
- Norliana Ismail, Farizah Hairi, Wan Yuen Choo, Noran Naqiah Hairi, Devi Peramalah, and Awang Bulgiba, “The Physical Activity Scale for the Elderly (PASE): Validity and Reliability Among Community-Dwelling Older Adults in Malaysia,” Asia-Pacific Journal Of Public Health, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 62S–72S, 2015.
- Patrick J. O'Connor, Phillip D. Tomporowski, and Rodney K. Dishman, “Age Moderates the Association of Aerobic Exercise with Initial Learning of an Online Task Requiring Cognitive Control,” Journal Of The International Neuropsychological Society, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 802–815, 2015.
- Tiffany F. Hughes, James T. Becker, Ching-Wen Lee, Chung-Chou H. Chang, and Mary Ganguli, “Independent and combined effects of cognitive and physical activity on incident MCI,” Alzheimers & Dementia, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1377–1384, 2015.
- Scott M. Hayes, Michael L. Alosco, Jasmeet P. Hayes, Margaret Cadden, Kristina M. Peterson, Kelly Allsup, Daniel E. Forman, Reisa A. Sperling, and Mieke Verfaellie, “Physical Activity Is Positively Associated with Episodic Memory in Aging,” Journal Of The International Neuropsychological Society, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 780–790, 2015.
- C. Duchesne, O. Lungu, A. Nadeau, M.E. Robillard, A. Boré, F. Bobeuf, A.L. Lafontaine, F. Gheysen, L. Bherer, and J. Doyon, “Enhancing both motor and cognitive functioning in Parkinson’s disease: Aerobic exercise as a rehabilitative intervention,” Brain and Cognition, vol. 99, pp. 68–77, 2015.
- C. A. Raji, H. Eyre, S. H. Wei, D. E. Bredesen, S. Moylan, M. Law, G. Small, P. M. Thompson, R. M. Friedlander, D. H. Silverman, B. T. Baune, T. A. Hoang, N. Salamon, A. W. Toga, and M. W. Vernooij, “Hot Topics in Research: Preventive Neuroradiology in Brain Aging and Cognitive Decline,” American Journal Of Neuroradiology, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 1803–1809, 2015.
- Sofia Seinfeld, and Maria V. Sanchez-Vives, “Healthy Aging Promotion through Neuroscientific Information-Based Strategies,” International Journal Of Environmental Research And Public Health, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 12158–12170, 2015.
- Massomeh Rasoulzadeh, Mina Sadat Mirshoja, Mohammad Amouzadeh Khalili, Mona Simin Qhualam, Alliakbar Pahlavanian, and Mehdi Rezaee, “Assessment the Interests of Elderly People Residing in Nursing Homes in Individual Activities,” Middle East Journal of Rehabilitation and Health, vol. 2, no. 4, 2015.
- Layanne Cabral da Cunha Araujo, Iara Leao Luna de Souza, Luiz Henrique Cesar Vasconcelos, Aline de Freitas Brito, Fernando Ramos Queiroga, Alexandre Sergio Silva, Patricia Mirella da Silva, Fabiana de Andrade Cavalcante, and Bagnolia Araujo da Silva, “Chronic aerobic swimming exercise promotes functional and morphological changes in rat ileum,” Bioscience Reports, vol. 35, 2015.
- Nick W. Bray, Rowan R. Smart, Jennifer M. Jakobi, and Gareth R. Jones, “Exercise prescription to reverse frailty,” Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, pp. 1–5, 2016.
- Geon Ha Kim, Kiho Im, Hunki Kwon, Sang Won Seo, Byoung Seok Ye, Hanna Cho, Young Noh, Jong Min Lee, Sung Tae Kim, Sang Eon Park, Hojeong Kim, Jung Won Hwang, Sue J. Kang, Jee Hyang Jeong, and Duk L. Na, “Higher Physical Activity Is Associated with Increased Attentional Network Connectivity in the Healthy Elderly,” Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, vol. 8, 2016.
- Po-Wen Ku, Kenneth R. Fox, and Li-Jung Chen, “Leisure-Time Physical Activity, Sedentary Behaviors and Subjective Well-Being in Older Adults: An Eight-Year Longitudinal Research,” Social Indicators Research, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 1349–1361, 2016.
- Jiaojiao Lü, Weijie Fu, and Yu Liu, “Physical activity and cognitive function among older adults in china: a systematic review,” Journal of Sport and Health Science, 2016.
- Mark A. Fletcher, Kathy A. Low, Rachel Boyd, Benjamin Zimmerman, Brian A. Gordon, Chin H. Tan, Nils Schneider-Garces, Bradley P. Sutton, Gabriele Gratton, and Monica Fabiani, “Comparing Aging and Fitness Effects on Brain Anatomy,” Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, vol. 10, 2016.
- Molly Memel, Kyle Bourassa, Cindy Woolverton, and David A. Sbarra, “Body Mass and Physical Activity Uniquely Predict Change in Cognition for Aging Adults,” Annals Of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 397–408, 2016.
- Annabelle Constans, Caroline Pin-barre, Jean-Jacques Temprado, Patrick Decherchi, and Jérôme Laurin, “Influence of Aerobic Training and Combinations of Interventions on Cognition and Neuroplasticity after Stroke,” Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, vol. 8, 2016.
- Claire E. Sexton, Jill F. Betts, Naiara Demnitz, Helen Dawes, Klaus P. Ebmeier, and Heidi Johansen-Berg, “A systematic review of MRI studies examining the relationship between physical fitness and activity and the white matter of the ageing brain,” Neuroimage, vol. 131, pp. 81–90, 2016.
- Carlos Campos, Nuno Barbosa F. Rocha, Eduardo Lattari, Flávia Paes, António E. Nardi, and Sérgio Machado, “Exercise-induced neuroprotective effects on neurodegenerative diseases: the key role of trophic factors,” Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, pp. 1–12, 2016.
- Izabela Zając-Gawlak, Dariusz Pośpiech, Aleksandra Kroemeke, Małgorzata Mossakowska, Aleš Gába, Jana Pelclová, Miroslava Přidalová, and Barbara Kłapcińska, “Physical activity, body composition and general health status of physically active students of the University of the Third Age (U3A),” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 64, pp. 66–74, 2016.
- Rosa Manenti, Michela Brambilla, Alberto Benussi, Sandra Rosini, Chiara Cobelli, Clarissa Ferrari, Michela Petesi, Italo Orizio, Alessandro Padovani, Barbara Borroni, and Maria Cotelli, “Mild cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease is improved by transcranial direct current stimulation combined with physical therapy,” Movement Disorders, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 715–724, 2016.
- Maike Margarethe Kleemeyer, Simone Kuehn, John Prindle, Nils Christian Bodammer, Lars Brechtel, Alexander Garthe, Gerd Kempermann, Sabine Schaefer, and Ulman Lindenberger, “Changes in fitness are associated with changes in hippocampal microstructure and hippocampal volume among older adults,” Neuroimage, vol. 131, pp. 155–161, 2016.
- Christine B. Phillips, Jerri D. Edwards, Ross Andel, and Marcus Kilpatrick, “Daily Physical Activity and Cognitive Function Variability in Older Adults,” Journal Of Aging And Physical Activity, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 256–267, 2016.
- Jennifer N. Fogarty, Kelly J. Murphy, Bruce McFarlane, Manuel Montero-Odasso, Jennie Wells, Angela K. Troyer, Daniel Trinh, Iris Gutmanis, and Kevin T. Hansen, “Taoist Tai Chi (R) and Memory Intervention for Individuals with Mild Cognitive Impairmentl,” Journal Of Aging And Physical Activity, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 169–180, 2016.
- Luis Paschoa, and Candace Ashton, “The Evaluation of an Exercise Program for Older Rural Adults,” Activities, Adaptation & Aging, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 67–77, 2016.
- Mara Mather, and Carolyn W. Harley, “The Locus Coeruleus: Essential for Maintaining Cognitive Function and the Aging Brain,” Trends In Cognitive Sciences, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 214–226, 2016.
- Pei Huang, Rong Fang, Bin-Yin Li, and Sheng-Di Chen, “Exercise-Related Changes of Networks in Aging and Mild Cognitive Impairment Brain,” Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, vol. 8, 2016.
- Cheril Tapia-Rojas, Florencia Aranguiz, Lorena Varela-Nallar, and Nibaldo C. Inestrosa, “Voluntary Running Attenuates Memory Loss, Decreases Neuropathological Changes and Induces Neurogenesis in a Mouse Model of Alzheimer's Disease,” Brain Pathology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 62–74, 2016.
- Yoritaka Akimoto, Takayuki Nozawa, Akitake Kanno, Toshimune Kambara, Mizuki Ihara, Takeshi Ogawa, Takakuni Goto, Yasuyuki Taki, Ryoichi Yokoyama, Yuka Kotozaki, Rui Nouchi, Atsushi Sekiguchi, Hikaru Takeuchi, Carlos Makoto Miyauchi, Motoaki Sugiura, Eiichi Okumura, Takashi Sunda, Toshiyuki Shimizu, Eiji Tozuka, Satoru Hirose, Tatsuyoshi Nanbu, and Ryuta Kawashima, “High-gamma power changes after cognitive intervention: preliminary results from twenty-one senior adult subjects,” Brain and Behavior, 2016.
- Ashley Henneghan, “Modifiable factors and cognitive dysfunction in breast cancer survivors: a mixed-method systematic review,” Supportive Care In Cancer, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 481–497, 2016.
- Nada Sallam, and Ismail Laher, “Exercise Modulates Oxidative Stress and Inflammation in Aging and Cardiovascular Diseases,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2016, pp. 1–32, 2016.