Research Article | Open Access
Wei Chen, Sidarto Bambang Oetomo, Loe Feijs, Sibrecht Bouwstra, Idowu Ayoola, Sietse Dols, "Design of an Integrated Sensor Platform for Vital Sign Monitoring of Newborn Infants at Neonatal Intensive Care Units", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 1, Article ID 124270, 19 pages, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-22220.127.116.115
Design of an Integrated Sensor Platform for Vital Sign Monitoring of Newborn Infants at Neonatal Intensive Care Units
Continuous health status monitoring and advances in medical treatments have resulted in a significant increase of survival rate in critically ill infants admitted into Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICUs). The quality of life and long-term health prospects of the neonates depend increasingly on the reliability and comfort of the monitoring systems. In this paper, we present the design work of a smart jacket for vital sign monitoring of neonates at a NICU. The design represents a unique integration of sensor technology, user focus and design aspects. Textile sensors, a reflectance pulse oximeter and a wearable temperature sensor were proposed to be embedded into the smart jacket. Location of the sensor, materials and appearance were designed to optimize the functionality, patient comfort and the possibilities for aesthetic features. Prototypes were built for demonstrating the design concept and experimental results were obtained from tests on premature babies at the NICU of M�xima Medical Centre (MMC) in Veldhoven, the Netherlands.
- K. Costeloe, E. Hennessy, A. Gibson, N. Marlow, and A. Wilkinson, “The EPICure study: outcomes to discharge from hospital for infants born at the threshold of viability,” Pediatrics, vol. 106, pp. 659–671, 2000.
- M. De Kleine, A. den Ouden, L. Kollee et al., “Lower mortality but higher neonatal morbidity over a decade in very preterm infants,” Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology, vol. 21, pp. 15–25, 2007.
- H. Als, G. Lawhon, E. Brown et al., “Individualized behavioral and environmental care for the very low birth weight preterm infant at high risk for bronchopulmonary dysplasia: neonatal intensive care unit and developmental outcome,” Pediatrics, vol. 78, pp. 1123–1132, 1986.
- R. A. Polin and W. W. Fox, Fetal and Neonatal Physiology, W. B. Saunders Company, 1992.
- I. Murković, M. Steinberg, and B. Murković, “Sensors in neonatal monitoring: Current practice and future trends,” Technology and Health Care, vol. 11, pp. 399–412, 2003.
- H. Als, L. Gilkerson, F. Duffy et al., “A three-center, randomized, controlled trial of individualized developmental care for very low birth weight preterm infants: medical, neurodevelopmental, parenting, and caregiving effects,” Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics, vol. 24, pp. 399–408, 2003.
- W. Chen, S. Bambang Oetomo, and L. Feijs, “Neonatal Monitoring: Current Practice and Future Trends,” in Handbook of Research on Developments in e-Health and Telemedicine: Technological and Social Perspectives, IGI Global, 2010.
- W. Chen, S. Bouwstra, S. Bambang Oetomo, and L. Feijs, “Intelligent Design for Neonatal Monitoring with Wearable Sensors,” in Intelligent and Biosensors, pp. 386–410, INTECH, 2010.
- E. H. L. Aarts and J. L. Encarnação, True visions: The emergence of ambient intelligence, Springer, 2nd edition, 2008.
- A. Goldsmith, Wireless communications, Cambridge Univ Pr, 2005.
- X. Tao, Wearable electronics and photonics, Woodhead, 2005.
- G. Yang and M. Yacoub, Body sensor networks, Springer-Verlag, New York Inc, 2006.
- L. van Langenhove, Smart textiles for medicine and healthcare: materials, systems and applications, Woodhead Publishing, 2007.
- M. Catrysse, R. Puers, C. Hertleer, L. Van Langenhove, H. Van Egmond, and D. Matthys, “Towards the integration of textile sensors in a wireless monitoring suit,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, vol. 114, pp. 302–311, 2004.
- R. Paradiso, G. Loriga, and N. Taccini, “A wearable health care system based on knitted integrated sensors,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 9, pp. 337–344, 2005.
- Y. Mendelson, R. Duckworth, and G. Comtois, “A wearable reflectance pulse oximeter for remote physiological monitoring,” in 28th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS), pp. 912–915, 2006.
- New NIRSensors, from http://www.somanetics.com/Invos-Infant-Neonatal.asp.
- H. Liu, J. Hu, and G. W. M. Rauterberg, “LsM: A New Location and Emotion Aware Web-based Interactive Music System,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE 10), IEEE, Piscataway NJ..
- H. Liu, J. Hu, and G. W. M. Rauterberg, “Music Playlist Recommendation Based on User Heartbeat and Music Preference,” in Proceedings of 2nd IEEE 2009 International Conference on Computer Technology and Development(ICCTD '09), IEEE press, 2009.
- C. Tan, W. Chen, F. Kimman, and G. Rauterberg, “Sleeping Posture Analysis of Economy Class Aircraft Seat,” in World Congress on Engineering, pp. 532–535, London, U.K., 2009.
- C. Tan, W. Chen, H. Liu, and M. Rauterberg, “Adaptive Framework and User Preference Modeling for Economy Class Aircraft Passenger Seat,” in Third UKSim European Symposium on Computer Modeling and Simulation, pp. 66–69, Athens, Greece, 2009.
- J. van Aart, E. Klaver, C. Bartneck, L. Feijs, and P. Peters, “EEG headset for neurofeedback therapy : enabling easy use in the home environment,” in International Conference on Bio-inspired Signals and Systems, pp. 23–30, 2008.
- A. Adami, T. Hayes, and M. Pavel, “Unobtrusive monitoring of sleep patterns,” in 25th Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS, pp. 1360–1363, 2003.
- A. Kaushik and B. Celler, “Characterization of PIR detector for monitoring occupancy patterns and functional health status of elderly people living alone at home,” Technology and Health Care, vol. 15, pp. 273–288, 2007.
- A. Rullo, P. Marti, E. Grövall, and A. Pollini, “End-user composition and re-use of technologies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit,” in Proceedings Pervasive Healthcare, 2006.
- L. Piccini, O. Ciani, E. Grövall, P. Marti, and G. Andreoni, “New monitoring approach for Neonatal Intensive Care Unit,” in 5th International Workshop on Wearable Micro and Nanosystems for Personalised Health, 2008.
- R. Vullings, C. Peters, R. Sluijter, M. Mischi, S. Oei, and J. Bergmans, “Dynamic segmentation and linear prediction for maternal ECG removal in antenatal abdominal recordings,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 30, pp. 291–307, 2009.
- C. Rabotti, M. Mischi, J. Laar, G. Oei, and J. Bergmans, “Estimation of internal uterine pressure by joint amplitude and frequency analysis of electrohysterographic signals,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 29, pp. 829–841, 2008.
- S. Martens, C. Rabotti, M. Mischi, and R. Sluijter, “A robust fetal ECG detection method for abdominal recordings,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 28, pp. 373–388, 2007.
- S. Bouwstra, W. Chen, L. Feijs, and S. Oetomo, “Smart Jacket Design for Neonatal Monitoring with Wearable Sensors,” in Body Sensor Networks (BSN 2009), pp. 162–167, Berkeley, USA, 2009.
- W. Chen, I. B. I. Ayoola, S. Bambang Oetomo, and L. M. G. Feijs, “Non-invasive blood oxygen saturation monitoring for neonates using reflectance pulse oximeter,” in Design, Automation and Test in Europe - Conference and Exhibition 2010, (DATE 2010), Dresden, Germany, 2010.
- W. Chen, S. Dols, S. Bambang Oetomo, and L. M. G. Feijs, “Monitoring Body Temperature of Newborn Infants at Neonatal Intensive Care Units Using Wearable Sensors,” in the Fifth International Conference on Body Area Networks (BodyNets 2010), Corfu Island, Greece, 2010.
- W. Chen, S. T. Nguyen, R. Coops, S. Bambang Oetomo, and L. M. G. Feijs, “Wireless transmission design for health monitoring at neonatal intensive care units,” in the 2nd international symposium on applied sciences in biomedical and communication technologies (ISABEL 2009), Bratislava, Slovak Republic, 2009.
- W. Chen, S. Bambang Oetomo, L. M. G. Feijs et al., Rhythm of Life Aid (ROLA) – An Integrated Sensor System for Supporting Medical Staff during Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) of Newborn Infants, accepted by IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, 2009.
- S. Bambang Oetomo, L. M. G. Feijs, W. Chen, and P. Andriessen, “Efficacy of audio-promoted rate guidance for insufflation and chest compressions and feed-back signalling for the pressure of chest compressions during cardio-respiratory resuscitation (CPR) of newborn infants,” in the annual meeting of the Society for Pediatric Research (SPR 2009), Baltimore, US, 2009.
- W. Chen, C. Sonntag, F. Boesten, S. Oetomo, and L. Feijs, “A power supply design of body sensor networks for health monitoring of neonates,” in Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing (ISSNIP 2008), pp. 255–260, 2008.
- W. Chen, C. Sonntag, F. Boesten, S. Oetomo, and L. Feijs, “A design of power supply for neonatal monitoring with wearable sensors,” Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, vol. 1, pp. 185–196, 2009.
- L. Hazelhoff, J. Han, S. Bambang-Oetomo, and P. de With, “Behavioral State Detection of Newborns Based on Facial Expression Analysis,” in Advanced Concepts for Intelligent Vision Systems (ACIVS), pp. 698–709, 2009.
- P. J. F. Peters, L. M. G. Feijs, and S. G. Oei, “Plug and play architectures for rapid development of medical simulation manikins,” in the 12th World multi-conference on systemics, cybernetics and informatics (WMSCI 2008), vol. 2, pp. 214–219, Orlando, Florida, 2008.
- J. Hu and L. Feijs, A Distributed Multi-agent Architecture in Simulation Based Medical Training, Transactions on Edutainment, LNCS 5940, 2009, 3, 105-115.
- World Health Organization, Kangaroo mother care: a practical guide, Department of Reproductive Health and Research, 2003.
- L. Sornmo and P. Laguna, Bioelectrical signal processing in cardiac and neurological applications, Elsevier Academic Press, 2005.
- N. Thakor and Y.-S. Zhu, “Applications of adaptive filtering to ECG analysis: noise cancellation and arrhythmia detection,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 38, pp. 785–794, 1991.
- Y. Mendelson, “Pulse oximetry: theory and applications for noninvasive monitoring,” Clinical chemistry, vol. 38, pp. 1601–1607, 1992.
- S. Dollberg, A. Rimon, H. Atherton, and S. Hoath, “Continuous measurement of core body temperature in preterm infants,” American journal of perinatology, vol. 17, pp. 257–264, 2000.
Copyright © 2010 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.