Research Article | Open Access
Hanna J. Suominen, Tapio I. Salakoski, "Supporting Communication and Decision Making in Finnish Intensive Care with Language Technology", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 1, Article ID 871084, 19 pages, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-2222.214.171.1245
Supporting Communication and Decision Making in Finnish Intensive Care with Language Technology
A fluent flow of health information is critical for health communication and decision making. However, the flow is fragmented by the large amount of textual records and their specific jargon. This creates risks for both patient safety and cost-effective health services. Language technology for the automated processing of textual health records is emerging. In this paper, we describe method development for building topical overviews in Finnish intensive care. Our topical search methods are based on supervised multi-label classification and regression, as well as supervised and unsupervised multi-class classification. Our linguistic analysis methods are based on rule-based and statistical parsing, as well as tailoring of a commercial morphological analyser. According to our experimental results, the supervised methods generalise for multiple topics and human annotators, and the unsupervised method enables an ad hoc information search. Tailored linguistic analysis improves performance in the experiments and, in addition, improves text comprehensibility for health professionals and laypeople. In conclusion, the performance of our methods is promising for real-life applications.
- S. R. Glaser, S. Zamanou, and K. Hacker, “Measuring and Interpreting Organizational Culture,” Manag Comm Q, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 173–198, 1987.
- US Department of Health & Human Services, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, HIPAA, 1996, http://www.cms.hhs.gov/HIPAAGenInfo/Downloads/HIPAALaw.pdfcms.hhs.gov/HIPAAGenInfo/Downloads/HIPAALaw.pdf, accessed 2009, November, 18.
- M. E. Mills, “Linkage of Patient Records to Support Continuity of Care: Issues and Future Directions,” Stud Health Techn Inform, vol. 122, pp. 320–324, 2006.
- Statutes of Finland, Decree 99/2001 of the Ministry of Social and Health, Finland, http://www.finlex.fi, accessed 2009, November, 18.
- Stakes, The Statistical Yearbook on Social Welfare and Health Care 2008, Yliopistopaino, Helsinki, Finland, 2008.
- OECD, Stats Extracts, OECD Health Data 2009, http://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DatasetCode=HEALTH, accessed 2009, November 18.
- H. Suominen, Machine Learning and Clinical Text: Supporting Health Information Flow [TUCS Dissertations], 2009, 125.
- B. Hakes and J. Whittingtn, “Assessing the Impact of an Electronic Medical Record on Nurse Documentation Time,” J Crit Care, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 234–241, 2008.
- L. Banner and C. M. Olney, “Automated Clinical Documentation: Does It Allow Nurses More Time for Patient Care?” J Crit Care, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 75–81, 2009.
- O. Manor-Shulman, J. Beyene, H. Frndova, and C. Parshuram, “Quantifying the Volume of Documented Clinical Information in Critical Illness,” J Crit Care, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 245–250, 2008.
- H. Allvin, E. Carlsson, H. Dalianis et al., “Characteristics and Analysis of Finnish and Swedish Clinical Intensive Care Nursing Narratives,” in Proceedings of the NAACL HLT, 2010 Second Louhi Workshop on Text and Data Mining of Health Documents (Louhi 2010), pp. 56–60, Los Angeles, USA, 2010.
- H. Dalianis, M. Hassel, and S. Velupillai, “The Stockholm EPR Corpus – Characteristics and Some Initial Findings,” in Proceedings of The 14th International Symposium for Health Information Management Research, ISHIMIR-09, Kalmar, Sweden, 2009.
- O. Kärkkäinen and K. Eriksson, “Evaluation of Patient Records as Part of Developing a Nursing Care Classification,” J Clin Nurs, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 198–205, 2003.
- H. Suominen, H. Lundgrén-Laine, S. Salanterä, H. Karsten, and T. Salakoski, “Information Flow in Intensive Care Narratives,” in Proceedings IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine Workshops, BIBM, 2009, pp. 325–330, Washington DC, USA, 2009.
- A. Cheevakasemsook, Y. Chapman, K. Francis, and C. Davies, “The Study of Nursing Documentation Complexities,” Int J Nurs Pract, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 366–374, 2006.
- R. Hellesø, “Information Handling in the Nursing Discharge Note,” J Clin Nurs, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 11–21, 2006.
- S. Hyun and S. Bakken, “Towards the Creation of an Ontology for Nursing Document Sections: Mapping Section Headings to the LOINC Semantic Model,” in AMIA Annu Symp Proc, pp. 364–368, 2006.
- L. Zhou, Y. Tao, J. J. Cimino et al., “Terminology Model Discovery Using Natural Language Processing and Visualization Techniques,” J Biomed Inform, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 626–636, 2006.
- L. Deléger, M. Merkel, and P. Zweigenbaum, “Translating Medical Terminologies through Word Alignment in Parallel Text Corpora,” J Biomed Inform, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 692–701, 2009.
- E. De Clercq, “Problem-oriented Patient Record Model as a Conceptual Foundation for a Multi-professional Electronic Patient Record,” Int J Med Inform, vol. 77, no. 9, pp. 565–575, 2008.
- B. V. Silvester and J. S. Carr, “A Shared Electronic Health Record: Lessons from the Coalface,” Med J Aust, vol. 190, no. 11, pp. S113–S116, 2009.
- T. Virtanen, “The Finnish National eHealth Archive and the New Research Possibilities,” Stud Health Techn Inform, vol. 146, pp. 688–691, 2009.
- K. B. Baldwin, “Evaluating Healthcare Quality Using Natural Language Processing,” Healthc Qual, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 24–29, 2008.
- C. Hripcsak, N. D. Soulakis, F. P. Morrion et al., “Syndromic Surveillance Using Ambulatory Electronic Health Records,” J Am Med Inform Assoc, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 354–361, 2009.
- S. Lauri and S. Salanterä, “Developing an Instrument to Measure and Describe Clinical Decision Making in Different Nursing Fields,” J Prof Nurs, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 93–100, 2002.
- M. A. Hearst, “TextTiling: Segmenting Text into Multi-paragraph Subtopic Passages,” Comp Ling, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 33–64, 1997.
- J. M. Ponte and W. B. Croft, “Text Segmentation by Topic,” LNCS, vol. 134, pp. 113–125, 1997.
- T.-H. Chang and C.-H. Lee, “Topic Segmentation for Short Texts,” in Proceedings of the 17th Pacific Asia Conference on Language, Information and Computation, PACLIC, pp. 159–165, Singapore, Singapore, 2003.
- P. S. Cho, R. K. Taira, and H. Kangarloo, “Automatic Section Segmentation of Medical Reports,” in AMIA Annu Symp Proc, pp. 155–159, 2003.
- P. Bramsen, P. Deshpande, Y. K. Lee, and R. Barzilay, “Finding Temporal Order in Discharge Summaries,” in AMIA Annu Symp Proc, pp. 81–85, 2006.
- J. Jancsary and J. Matiasek, “Revealing the Structure of Medical Dictations with Conditional Random Fields,” in Proceedings of the 2008 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, EMNLP, pp. 1–10, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2008.
- M. Hiissa, T. Pahikkala, H. Suominen et al., “Towards Automated Classification of Intensive Care Nursing Narratives,” Int J Med Inform, vol. 76, S3, pp. S362–S368, 2007.
- H. Suominen, T. Pahikkala, M. Hiissa et al., “Relevance Ranking of Intensive Care Nursing Narratives,” LNCS, vol. 4251, no. 1, pp. 720–727, 2006.
- F. Ginter, H. Suominen, S. Pyysalo, and T. Salakoski, “Combining Hidden Markov Models and Latent Semantic Analysis for Topic Segmentation and Labeling: Method and Clinical Application,” Int J Med Inform, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. e1–e6, 2009.
- T. Poggio and S. Smale, “The Mathematics of Learning: Dealing with Data,” Notices of the American Mathematical Society (AMS), vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 537–544, 2003.
- L. Fagerström, A. K. Rainio, A. Rauhala, and K. Nojonen, “Validation of a New Method for Patient Classification, the Oulu Patient Classification,” J Adv Nurs, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 481–490.
- L. R. Rabiner, “A Tutorial on Hidden Markov Models and Selected Applications in Speech Recognition,” Proc IEEE, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 257–286, 1989.
- V. Laippala, F. Ginter, S. Pyysalo, and T. Salakoski, “Towards Automated Processing of Clinical Finnish: Sublanguage Analysis and a Rule-based Parser,” Int J Med Inform, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. e7–e12, 2009.
- K. Haverinen, F. Ginter, V. Laippala, and T. Salakoski, “Parsing Clinical Finnish: Experiments with Rule-Based and Statistical Dependency Parsers,” NEALT Proceedings Series, vol. 8, pp. 65–72, 2009.
- Lingsoft, Lingsoft julkisti kielentarkistimen terveydenhuollon kielelle [Lingsoft Released a Proofreading Program for Health Care Jargon], press release, 2009 April 28, http://www.lingsoft.fi/?doc_id=438&xml:lang=fi, accessed August 1, 2009.
- K. Koskenniemi, “Two-level Model for Morphological Analysis,” in Proceedings of the Eighth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 683–685, 1983.
- J. Cohen, “A Coefficient of Agreement for Nominal Scales,” Educ Psychol Meas, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 37–46, 1960.
- J. A. Hanley and B. J. McNeil, “The MEaning and Use of The Area Under a Receiver Operating Characteristics (ROC) Curve,” Radiology, vol. 143, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 1982.
- M. Kendall and J. D. Gibbons, Rank Correlation Methods, Edward Arnold, London, UK, 5th edition, 1990.
- H. J. Tange, H. J. Schouten, A. D. M. Kester, and A. Hasman, “The Granularity of Medical Narratives and Its Effect on the Speed and Completeness of Information Retrieval,” J Am Med Inform Assoc, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 571–582, 1998.
- U. Raja, T. Mitchell, T. Day, and J. M. Hardin, “Text Mining in Healthcare. Applications and Opportunities,” J Healthc Inf Manag, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 52–56, 2008.
- A. C. Castilla, S. S. Furuie, and E. A. Mendonça, “Multilingual Information Retrieval in Thoracic Radiology: Feasibility Study,” Stud Health Techn Inform, vol. 129, pp. 387–391, 2007.
- E. A. Mendonça, J. Haas, L. Shagina, E. Larson, and C. Friedman, “Extracting Information on Pneumonia in Infants Using Natural Language Processing of Radiology Reports,” J Biomed Inform, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 314–321, 2005.
- S. V. Pakhomov, J. D. Buntrock, and C. G. Chute, “Automating the Assessment of Diagnosis Codes to Patient Encounters Using Example Based Machine Learning Techniques,” J Am Med Inform Assoc, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 516–525, 2006.
- R. S. Crowley, M. Castine, K. Mitchell, G. Chavan, T. McSherry, and M. Feldman, “caTIES: a Grid Based System for Coding and Retrieval of Surgical Pathology Reports and Tissue Specimens in Support of Translational Research,” J Am Med Inform Assoc, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 253–264, 2010.
- J. P. Pestian, C. Brew, P. Matykiewicz et al., “A Shared Task Involving Multi-label Classification of Clinical Free Text,” in Proceedings of the Workshop on BioNLP, 2007: Biological, Translational, and Clinical Language Processing, pp. 97–104, Prague, Czech Republic, 2007.
- Open Health Natural Language Processing Consortium, OHNLP Documentation and Downloads, https://cabig-kc.nci.nih.gov/Vocab/KC/index.php/OHNLP_Documentation_and_Downloads, accessed May 31, 2010.
- IKITIK consortium, http://www.ikitik.fi, accessed Jul 16, 2010.
- HEXAnord, http://dsv.su.se/en/research/itheath/projects/hexanord, accessed May 31, 2010.
Copyright © 2010 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.