Research Article | Open Access
Qiang Su, Xiaoyun Yao, Ping Su, Jinghua Shi, Yan Zhu, Lei Xue, "Hospital Registration Process Reengineering Using Simulation Method", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 1, Article ID 895865, 16 pages, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-2222.214.171.124
Hospital Registration Process Reengineering Using Simulation Method
With increasing competition, many healthcare organizations have undergone tremendous reform in the last decade aiming to increase efficiency, decrease waste, and reshape the way that care is delivered. This study focuses on the operational efficiency improvement of hospital’s registration process. The operational efficiency related factors including the service process, queue strategy, and queue parameters were explored systematically and illustrated with a case study. Guided by the principle of business process reengineering (BPR), a simulation approach was employed for process redesign and performance optimization. As a result, the queue strategy is changed from multiple queues and multiple servers to single queue and multiple servers with a prepare queue. Furthermore, through a series of simulation experiments, the length of the prepare queue and the corresponding registration process efficiency was quantitatively evaluated and optimized.
- X. Zhang, “Application of the resources of the retailers,” Newspaper of Chinese Medicine, Apr. 7, 2005.
- M. Hammer and J. Champy, Reengineering the corporation – A manifesto for business revolution, P32-36, Nicholas Brealey, 1993.
- Stephen L. Chan and Chung For Choi, “A conceptual and analytical framework for business process reengineering,” International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 50, pp. 211–223, 1997.
- L. D. Urden and S. L. Walston, “Outcomes of hospital restructuring and reengineering - How is success or failure being measured?” Journal of Nursing Administration, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 203–209, 2001.
- J. R. Caron, S. L. Jarvenpaa, and D. B. Stoddard, “Business reengineering at CIGNA Corporation: Experiences and lessons from the five years,” MIS Quarterly, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 233–250, 1994.
- Shih-Jen Kathy Ho, Lilian Chan, and Roland E. Kidwell Jr., “The implementation of business process reengineering in American and Canadian hospitals,” Health Care Management Review, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 19–31, 1999.
- K. L. Capitulo and M. C. Silverberg, “Creating patient-focused, family-centered, maternal-child and pediatric healthcare,” MCN, the American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 298–3055, 2001.
- P. A. Lundgren and J. Heldrup, “A case study: business process re-engineering (BPR) of the order-delivery process at the pediatric clinic at the University Hospital of Lund,” Medinfo, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 543–554, 1995.
- J. Tsai, A. T. Limkakeng, R. R. Roberts et al., “Impact of institution of an electronic hospital information system on nursing quick registration and triage times,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 44, no. 4, 122, 2004.
- C. J. Kesler, “Redesign of a pediatric hospital's triage and registration area,” Journal of Emergency Nursing, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 223–227, 2007.
- N. K. Kwak and C. W. Lee, “Business process reengineering for health-care system using multicriteria mathematical programming,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 447–458, 2002.
- A. Zakarian and A. Kusiak, “Process analysis and reengineering,” Computers & Industrial Engineering, vol. 41, pp. 135–150, 2001.
- Kostas Vergidis, Ashutosh Tiwari, and Basim Majeed, “Business Process Analysis and Optimization: Beyond Reengineering,” IEEE Transactions on System, Man, and Cybernetics – Part C: Applications and Reviews, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 69–82, 2008.
- P. Volkner and B. Werners, “A decision support system for business process planning,” European Journal of Operations Research, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 633–647, 2000.
- S. Groothuis, G. G. van Merode, and A. Hasman, “Simulation as decision tool for capacity planning,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, vol. 66, no. 2-3, pp. 139–151, 2001.
- Wang, Tao, Guinet, Alain, Belaidi, Aissam, and Besombes, Beatrix, “Modelling and simulation of emergency services with ARIS and Arena. case study: The emergency department of Saint Joseph and Saint Luc hospital,” Production Planning and Control, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 484–495, 2009.
- Raikundalia, Gitesh K.1, Bain, Christopher A.2, and Mehta, Snehal3, “Towards an advanced computing solution for hospital management using discrete event simulation,” International Review on Computers and Software, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 15–25, 2009.
- Khadem, Mohammed, Bashir, Hamdi A., Al-Lawati, Yasin, and Al-Azri, Fatma, “Evaluating the layout of the emergency department of a public hospital using computer simulation modeling: A case study,” in 2008 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, IEEM, pp. 1709–1713, 2008.
- Ferrin, David M., Miller, Marty J., and McBroom, Diana L., “Maximizing hospital financial impact and emergency department throughput with simulation,” in Proceedings of the 2007 Winter Simulation Conference, WSC, pp. 1566–1573, 2007.
- C. R. Harrell and R. N. Price, “Healthcare Simulation Modeling and Optimization Using Medmodel,” in Proceedings of the 2000 Winter Simulation Conference, pp. 203–207, 2000.
- W. J. Hopp and M. L. Spearman, Factory Physics: Foundations of Manufacturing Management, Irwin/McGraw-Hill, New York, 2000.
- J. M. Pines, S. Iyer, M. Disbot, J. E. Hollander, F. S. Shofer, and E. M. Datner, “The effect of emergency department crowding on patient satisfaction for admitted patients,” Acad Emerg Med, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 825–31, 2008.
- P. A. Fishwick, Simulation Model Design and Execution: Building Digital Worlds, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1995.
- M. A. Kaboudan, “A Dynamic-server Queuing Simulation,” Computers & Operations Research, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 431–439, 1998.
- S. L. Walston, L. R. Burns, and J. R. Kimberly, “Does reengineering really work? An examination of the context and outcomes of hospital reengineering initiatives,” Health Services Research, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1363–1388, 2000.
- M. Kroposki, C. L. Murdaugh, A. S. Tavakoli et al., “Role clarity, organizational commitment, and job satisfaction during hospital reengineering,” Nursing Connections, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 27–34, 1999.
- K. Neuman, “The effect of organizational reengineering on job satisfaction for staff in hospital social work departments,” Social Work in Health Care, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 19–33, 2003.
Copyright © 2010 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.