Research Article | Open Access
Tony Austin, Yin Yu Lim, David Nguyen, Dipak Kalra, "Design of an Electronic Healthcare Record Server Based on Part 1 of ISO EN 13606", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 2, Article ID 375869, 18 pages, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-22184.108.40.206
Design of an Electronic Healthcare Record Server Based on Part 1 of ISO EN 13606
ISO EN 13606 is a newly approved standard at European and ISO levels for the meaningful exchange of clinical information between systems. Although conceived as an inter-operability standard to which existing electronic health record (EHR) systems will transform legacy data, the requirements met and architectural approach reflected in this standard also make it a good candidate for the internal architecture of an EHR server. The authors have built such a server for the storage of healthcare records and demonstrated that it is possible to use ISO EN 13606 part 1 as the basis of an internal system architecture. The development of the system and some of the applications of the server are described in this paper. It is the first known operational implementation of the standard as an EHR system.
- D. Lloyd, D. Kalra, T. Beale et al., Eds., The GEHR Final Architecture Description, European Commission, Brussels, 1995, The Good European Health Record Project: Deliverable 19. 250 pages. available from http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk/HealthI/GEHR/EUCEN/del19.pdf, last accessed July 2010.
- J. Grimson, W. Grimson, D. Berry et al., “A CORBA-based integration of distributed electronic healthcare records using the synapses approach,” IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 124–38, Sep 1998.
- P. A. Sottile, F. M. Ferrara, W. Grimson, D. Kalra, and J. R. Scherrer, “The holistic healthcare information system,” in Toward an Electronic Health Record Europe '99, pp. 259–266, November 1999.
- R. Dixon, P. A. Grubb, D. Lloyd, and D. Kalra, Consolidated List of Requirements, EHCR Support Action Deliverable 1.4. European Commission DGXIII, Brussels, May 2001, 59 pages. Available from http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk/HealthI/EHCR-SupA/del1-4v1_3.PDF, last accessed July 2010.
- “Introducing computer based patient records: prerequisites and requirements,” Report Number 477, Swedish Institute for Health Services Development (SPRI), Sweden, 1998, ISSN, 0586-1691.
- D. Kalra, Clinical Foundations and Information Architecture for the Implementation of a Federated Health Record Service [PhD Thesis], University of London, 2002, Available from http://eprints.ucl.ac.uk/1584/, last accessed July 2010.
- P. Schloeffel, Ed., Requirements for an Electronic Health Record Architecture, ISO TS, 18308, International Organisation for Standardisation, Geneva, 2002.
- D. Kalra, Ed., Requirements for an Electronic Health Record Reference Architecture, ISO FDIS, 18308, Final Draft International Standard. ISO, Geneva, 2010.
- P. Hurlen, Ed., Electronic Healthcare Record Architecture, ENV 12265, CEN, Brussels, 1995.
- S. Kay and T. Marley, Eds., EHCR Communications: Part 1 Electronic Healthcare Record Architecture, ENV 13606, CEN, Brussels, 1999.
- T. Austin, The Development and Comparative Evaluation of Middleware and Database Architectures for the Implementation of an Electronic Healthcare Record [PhD Thesis], University of London, 2004.
- D. Kalra, Ed., Electronic Health Record Communication Part 5: Interface Specification, ISO/EN 13606-5, ISO, Geneva, 2010.
- D. Kalra, Ed., Electronic Health Record Communication Part 3: Reference Archetypes and Term Lists, ISO 13606-3, ISO, Geneva, 2009.
- D. Kalra, Ed., Electronic Health Record Communication Part 4: Security, ISO TS 13606-4, ISO, Geneva, 2009.
- D. Kalra, T. Beale, D. Lloyd, and S. Heard, Eds., Electronic Health Record Communication Part 2: Archetype Interchange Specification, ISO 13606-2, ISO, Geneva, 2008.
- D. Kalra and D. Lloyd, Eds., ISO 13606 Electronic Health Record Communication Part 1: Reference Model, ISO 13606-1, ISO, Geneva, 2008.
- http://www.javasoft.com, last accessed July 2010.
- http://www.jboss.com, last accessed July 2010.
- http://java.sun.com/products/ejb, last accessed July 2010.
- http://www.hibernate.org, last accessed July 2010.
- http://www.postgresql.org, last accessed July 2010.
- http://tomcat.apache.org, last accessed July 2010.
- http://java.sun.com/products/servlet, last accessed July 2010.
- http://portals.apache.org/pluto, last accessed July 2010.
- http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=168, last accessed July 2010.
- E. Gamma, R. Helm, R. Johnson, and J. Vlissides, Design patterns: Elements of reusable object-oriented software, Addison Wesley, ISBN: 0201633612.
- http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=303, last accessed July 2010.
- H. van der Linden, T. Austin, and J. Talmon, “Generic screen representations for future-proof systems, is it possible? There is more to a GUI than meets the eye,” Comput Methods Programs Biomed, vol. 95, pp. 213–26, 2009.
- http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5246, last accessed July 2010.
- http://jboss.org/jbossaop, last accessed July 2010.
- C. Safran, D. Rind, M. Citroen, A. R. Bakker, W. V. Slack, and H. L. Bleich, “Protection of confidentiality in the computer-based patient record,” MD Computing, vol. 12, pp. 187–92, 1995.
- B. Coleman, C. Martin, N. Barber, and D. Patterson, “An evaluation of the safety and acceptability of an anticoagulation clinic in a community pharmacy setting – a pilot study,” The Pharmaceutical Journal, vol. 273, pp. 822–824, 2004.
- L. Cheng, G. Kuntze, H. Tan et al., “Practical Sensing for Sprint Parameter Monitoring,” accepted to be published in the Proceedings of the 7th IEEE Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON), Boston, Massachusetts, USA, June 2010.
- A. Brass, D. Moner, C. Hildebrand, and M. Robles, “Standardized and flexible health data management with an archetype driven EHR system (EHRflex),” Stud Health Technol Inform, vol. 155, pp. 212–8, 2010.
- http://www.w3.org/2004/OWL, last accessed July 2010.
- http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema, last accessed July 2010.
- N. Lea, T. Austin, S. Hailes, and D. Kalra, “Expression of Security Policy in Medical Systems for Electronic Healthcare Records,” in Proceedings of ICMISE, Tokyo, 2009.
- http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tutorial/1_3-fcs/doc/EJBQL5.html, last accessed July 2010.
- http://java.sun.com/javaee/javaserverfaces, last accessed July 2010.
- http://java.sun.com/products/jsp, last accessed July 2010.
Copyright © 2011 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.