Research Article | Open Access
Meir Israelowitz, Birgit Weyand, Syed Rizvi, Peter M. Vogt, Herbert P. von Schroeder, "Development of a Laminar Flow Bioreactor by Computational Fluid Dynamics", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 3, Article ID 302701, 22 pages, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-2218.104.22.1685
Development of a Laminar Flow Bioreactor by Computational Fluid Dynamics
The purpose of this study is to improve the design of a bioreactor for growing bone and other three-dimensional tissues using a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software to simulate flow through a porous scaffold, and to recommend design changes based on the results. Basic requirements for CFD modeling were that the flow in the reactor should be laminar and any flow stagnation should be avoided in order to support cellular growth within the scaffold. We simulated three different designs with different permeability values of the scaffold and tissue. Model simulation addressed flow patterns in combination with pressure distribution within the bioreactor. Pressure build-up and turbulent flow within the reactor was solved by introduction of an integrated bypass system for pressure release. The use of CFD afforded direct feedback to optimize the bioreactor design.
- U. Meyer, U. Joos, and H. P. Wiesmann, “Biological and biophysical principles in extracorporal bone tissue engineering. Part I,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 325–332, 2004.
- L. Margolis, S. Hatfill, R. Chuaqui et al., “Long term organ culture of human prostate tissue in a NASA-designed rotating wall bioreactor,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 290–297, 1999.
- S. H. Cartmell, B. D. Porter, A. J. Garcia, and R. E. Guldberg, “Effects of medium perfusion rate on cell-seeded three-dimensional bone constructs in vitro,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1197–1203, 2003.
- R. Santoro, A. L. Olivares, G. Brans et al., “Bioreactor based engineering of large-scale human cartilage grafts for joint resurfacing,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 34, pp. 8946–8952, 2010.
- V. I. Sikavitsas, G. N. Bancroft, and A. G. Mikos, “Formation of three-dimensional cell/polymer constructs for bone tissue engineering in a spinner flask and a rotating wall vessel bioreactor,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 136–148, 2002.
- K. Dutt, S. Harris-Hooker, D. Ellerson, D. Layne, R. Kumar, and R. Hunt, “Generation of 3D retina-like structures from a human retinal cell line in a NASA bioreactor,” Cell Transplantation, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 717–731, 2003.
- N. Rucci, S. Migliaccio, B. M. Zani, A. Taranta, and A. Teti, “Characterization of the osteoblast-like cell phenotype under microgravity conditions in the NASA-approved Rotating Wall Vessel bioreactor (RWV),” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 167–179, 2002.
- S. R. Pollack, D. F. Meaney, E. M. Levine, M. Litt, and E. D. Johnston, “Numerical model and experimental validation of microcarrier motion in a rotating bioreactor,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 519–530, 2000.
- S. J. Curran and R. A. Black, “Oxygen transport and cell viability in an annular flow bioreactor: comparison of laminar Couette and Taylor-vortex flow regimes,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 766–774, 2005.
- E. A. Botchwey, S. R. Pollack, E. M. Levine, and C. T. Laurencin, “Bone tissue engineering in a rotating bioreactor using a microcarrier matrix system,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 242–253, 2001.
- L. J. Cummings and S. L. Waters, “Tissue growth in a rotating bioreactor. Part II: fluid flow and nutrient transport problems,” Mathematical Medicine and Biology: A Journal of the IMA, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 169–208, 2007.
- D. Baksh, P. W. Zandstra, and J. E. Davies, “A non-contact suspension culture approach to the culture of osteogenic cells derived from a CD49elow subpopulation of human bone marrow-derived cells,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1195–1208, 2007.
- B. Bilgen and G. A. Barabino, “Location of scaffolds in bioreactors modulates the hydrodynamic environment experienced by engineered tissues,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 282–294, 2007.
- E. T. Papoutsakis, “Fluid-mechanical damage of animal cells in bioreactors,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 427–437, 1991.
- C. Born, Z. Zhang, M. Al-Rubeai, and C. R. Thomas, “Estimation of disruption of animal cells by laminar shear stress,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1004–1010, 1992.
- G. Kretzmer and K. Schugerl, “Response of mammalian cells to shear stress,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 613–616, 1991.
- D. Brindley, K. Moorthy, JH. Lee, C. Mason, H. W. Kim, and I. Wall, “Bioprocess forces and their impact on cell behavior: implications for bone regeneration therapy,” Journal of Tissue Engineering, Article ID 620247, pp. 1–13, 2011.
- S. Kapur, D. J. Baylink, and K. H. Lau, “Fluid flow shear stress stimulates human osteoblast proliferation and differentiation through multiple interacting and competing signal transduction pathways,” Bone, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 241–251, 2003.
- J. A. Frangos, L. V. McIntire, and S. G. Eskin, “Shear stress induced stimulation of mammalian cell metabolism,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1053–1060, 1988.
- J. Rauh, F. Milan, K. P. Gunther, and M. Stiehler, “Bioreactor systems for bone tissue engineering,” Tissue Engineering. Part B, Reviews, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 263–280, 2011.
- M. Cioffi, J. Kuffer, S. Strobel, G. Dubini, I. Martin, and D. Wendt, “Computational evaluation of oxygen and shear stress distributions in 3D perfusion culture systems: macro-scale and micro-structured models,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 41, no. 14, pp. 2918–2925, 2008.
- D. E. Kehoe, D. Jing, L. T. Lock, and E. S. Tzanakakis, “Scalable stirred-suspension bioreactor culture of human pluripotent stem cells,” Tissue Engineering. Part A, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 405–421, 2010.
- M. Y. Christi, “Airlift Bioreactors,” in Elsevier Applied Biotechnology Series, R. D. Cook, Ed., pp. 335–345, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 1989.
- W. W. Su and R. Arias, “Continuous plant cell perfusion culture: bioreactor characterization and secreted enzyme production,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 2003.
- N. Mahmoudifar and P. M. Doran, “Tissue engineering of human cartilage and osteochondral composites using recirculation bioreactors,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 34, pp. 7012–7024, 2005.
- W. Hu and J. Zhong, “Effect of bottom clearance on performance of airlift bioreactor in high-density culture of Panax notoginseng cells,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 389–392, 2001.
- W. L. Tang and H. Zhao, “Industrial biotechnology: tools and applications,” Biotechnology Journal, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 1725–1739, 2009.
- G. N. Bancroft, V. I. Sikavitsas, and A. G. Mikos, “Design of a flow perfusion bioreactor system for bone tissue-engineering applications,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 549–554, 2003.
- D. L. Johnson, J. Koplik, and L. M. Schwartz, “New pore-size parameter characterizing transport in porous media,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 57, no. 20, pp. 2564–2567, 1986.
- V. P. Shastri, I. Martin, and R. Langer, “Macroporous polymer foams by hydrocarbon templating,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 1970–1975, 2000.
- V. R. Goskonda, M. A. Khan, C. M. Hutak, and I. K. Reddy, “Permeability characteristics of novel mydriatic agents using an in vitro cell culture model that utilizes SIRC rabbit corneal cells,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 180–184, 1999.
- E. M. Darling and K. A. Athanasiou, “Articular cartilage bioreactors and bioprocesses,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 9–26, 2003.
- H. Zhang, W. Williams-Dalson, E. Keshavarz-Moore, and P. A. Shamlou, “Computational-fluid-dynamics (CFD) analysis of mixing and gas-liquid mass transfer in shake flasks,” Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry, vol. 41(Pt 1), pp. 1–8, 2005.
- J. Bear, Dynamics of Fluids in Porous Media, Dover Books on Physics and Chemistry, Dover Publication, New York, 1988, 5-20.
- C. Tropea, A. L. Yarin, and J. F. Foss, Springer handbook of experimental fluid mechanics, vol. 1, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 2007: 56.
- K. L. Buehler, Effect of Membrane-Support and Solvent Quality on Permeability Characteristics of Confined Polyacrylamide Gels [Ph.D. thesis], Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA USA, 1999, 70-90.
- J. Happel and H. Brenner, “Low Reynolds Number Hydrodynamics: with special application to particulate media,” in Mechanics of Fluids and Transport Processes, pp. 10–200, Nartinus Jijhof Publisher, Dordrecht, Netherlands, 1965.
- J.- Wu and S.- Yin, “A Micro-Mechanism Model for Porous Media,” Communications in Theoretical Physics, vol. 52, pp. 936–940, 2009.
- S. Ergun, “Fluid Flow through Packed Columns,” Chemical Engineering Progress, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 89–94, 1952.
- Mixing- Principle and Applications, John Wiley and Sons, Halstedt Press, New York, 3rd edition, 1975, 138-144.
- J. W. Kuhbier, B. Weyand, C. Radtke, P. M. Vogt, C. Kasper, and K. Reimers, “Isolation, characterization, differentiation, and application of adipose-derived stem cells,” in Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, vol. 123, pp. 55–105, 2010.
- N. G. McDuffe, Bioreactor Design Fundamentals, Butterwood-Heinemann, Boston, 3rd edition, 1991, 10-90.
- M. Israelowitz, S. Rizvi, C. Holmes, C. Gille, and H. P. von Schroder, “Apparatus for culture and growth of cells to a three-dimensional tissue,” European Union Patent 200808011144.6/EP 2031501.
- M. Israelowitz, S. Rizvi, C. Holmes, C. Gille, and H. P. von Schroder, “Laminar Flow Bioreactor,” United States Patent Application 20076083494/20090061508.
- I. Martin, D. Wendt, and M. Heberer, “The role of bioreactors in tissue engineering,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 80–86, 2004.
- W. L. Grayson, S. Bhumiratana, C. Cannizzaro, and G. Vunjak-Novakovic, “Bioreactor cultivation of functional bone grafts,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 698, pp. 231–241, 2011.
- B. Weyand, M. Israelowitz, H. P. von Schroeder, and P. M. Vogt, “Fluid dynamics in bioreactor design: considerations for the theoretical and practical approach,” in Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, vol. 112, pp. 251–268, 2009.
- D. L. Johnson, J. Koplik, and R. Dashen, “Theory of dynamic permeability and tortuosity in fluid-saturated porous media,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 176, pp. 379–420, 1987.
- R. Voronov, S. Vangordon, V. I. Sikavitsas, and D. V. Papavassiliou, “Computational modeling of flow-induced shear stresses within 3D salt-leached porous scaffolds imaged via micro-CT,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 1279–1286, 2010.
- M. Cioffi, F. Boschetti, M. T. Raimondi, and G. Dubini, “Modeling evaluation of the fluid-dynamic microenvironment in tissue-engineered constructs: a micro-CT based model,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 500–510, 2006.
- B. Porter, R. Zauel, H. Stockman, R. Guldberg, and D. Fyhrie, “3-D computational modeling of media flow through scaffolds in a perfusion bioreactor,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 543–549, 2005.
- F. Zhao, R. Chella, and T. Ma, “Effects of shear stress on 3-D human mesenchymal stem cell construct development in a perfusion bioreactor system: Experiments and hydrodynamic modeling,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 584–595, 2007.
- P. Vossenberg, G. A. Higuera, G. van Straten, C. A. van Blitterswijk, and A. J. van Boxtel, “Darcian permeability constant as indicator for shear stresses in regular scaffold systems for tissue engineering,” Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 499–507, 2009.
- C. Sandino, J. A. Planell, and D. Lacroix, “A finite element study of mechanical stimuli in scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1005–1014, 2008.
- Y. Martin and P. Vermette, “Bioreactors for tissue mass culture: design, characterization, and recent advances,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 35, pp. 7481–7503, 2005.
- V. I. Sikavitsas, G. N. Bancroft, H. L. Holtorf, J. A. Jansen, and A. G. Mikos, “Mineralized matrix deposition by marrow stromal osteoblasts in 3D perfusion culture increases with increasing fluid shear forces,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 25, pp. 14683–14688, 2003.
- R. J. McCoy and F. J. O'Brien, “Influence of shear stress in perfusion bioreactor cultures for the development of three-dimensional bone tissue constructs: a review,” Tissue Engineering. Part B, Reviews, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 587–601, 2010.
- B. Weyand, K. Reimers, and P. M. Vogt, “Influences of extracellular matrix properties and flow shear stresses on stem cell shape in a three-dimensional dynamic environment,” in Conf Proc IFMBE Proc, vol. 30, pp. 47–50.
- G. Bianchi, M. Harders, and G. Székely, “Mesh Topology Identification for Mass-Spring Models,” in Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention MICCAI 2003, R. E. Ellis and T. M. Peters, Eds., Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 50–58, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 2003.
- J. H. Ferzinger, Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 3rd edition, 2001, 265-306.
- A. S. Shuib, P. R. Hoskins, and W. J. Easson, “Flow Regime Characterization in a diseased artery model,” Proceedings of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 62, pp. 110–114, 2010.
- J. A. Sanz-Herrera, C. Kasper, M. van Griensven, J. M. Garcia-Aznar, I. Ochoa, and M. Doblare, “Mechanical and flow characterization of Sponceram carriers: Evaluation by homogenization theory and experimental validation,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B, Applied Biomaterials, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 42–48, 2008.
- S. D. Smith and L. Sachs, “Difference in the Cell proliferation and colony-forming ability of normal human T lymphocytes,” Clinical Immunol Experimental, vol. 37, pp. 348–351, 1979.
- S. D. Smith, G. W. Wood, P. Fried, and J. T. Lownan, “In vitro growth of lymphoma colonies from children with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,” Cancer, vol. 48, pp. 2612–2623, 1981.
- L. Mancuso, M. I. Liuzzo, S. Fadda et al., “In vitro ovine articular chondrocyte proliferation: experiments and modelling,” Cell, vol. 42, pp. 310–320, 2010.
Copyright © 2012 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.