Research Article | Open Access
Development of an RFID-based Surgery Management System: Lesson Learnt from a Hong Kong Public Hospital
Medical errors happen during surgery such as leaving medical instruments in patient's body after surgery. In recent years, numerous cases have shown successful applications of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology in hospitals. This paper aims to investigate the potential applications of RFID in surgery management in a Hong Kong public hospital where the nurse to patient ratio is much lower than other countries. An RFID-based Surgery Management System is proposed to tackle the problems identified in the current situation. Apart from helping to reduce medical errors and enhance patient safety, it is expected that this system will also reduce the workload of care givers so that they can put more emphasis on providing high quality services to patients.
- World Health Organization, 10 Facts on Patient Safety, 2007, http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/patient_safety/en/index.html, Accessed October 12, 2011.
- Legislative Council, Legislative Council Panel on Health Services: Mechanism For Handling Medical Incidents in Public and Private Hospitals, 2009, http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr09-10/english/panels/hs/papers/hs1109cb2-182-3-e.pdf, Accessed November 1, 2011.
- Hospital Authority, Annual Report on Sentinel & Serious Untoward Events 1 October 2009 – 31 September 2010, 2011, http://www.ha.org.hk/haho/ho/psrm/COPYSESUE_Annual_Report_2011.pdf, Accessed November 5, 2011.
- Association of Hong Kong Nursing Staff, Result on the Survey on Medical Human Resources, 2009, http://www.nurse.org.hk/c_index.htm, Accessed November 1, 2011.
- S. L. Ting, S. K. Kwok, A. H. C. Tsang, and W. B. Lee, “Critical elements and lessons learnt from the implementation of an RFID-enabled healthcare management system in a medical organization,” Journal of Medical Systems, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 657–669, 2011.
- Y. Meiller, S. Bureau, W. Zhou, and S. Piramuthu, “RFID-embedded decision support for tracking surgical equipment,” in Proc. 44th. Hawaii Int'l Conf. Syst. Sci, pp. 1–6, 2011.
- P. J. Chen, Y. F. Chen, S. K. Chai, and Y. F. Huang, “Implementation of an RFID-based management system for operation room,” in Int'l Conf. on Mach. Learn. and Cyber, pp. 2933–2938, 2009.
- B. Chowdhury and R. Khosla, “RFID-based hospital real-time patient management system,” in IEEE/ACIS 6th Int'l Conf. on Comp. and info. Sci, pp. 363–368, 2007.
- S. W. Wang, W. H. Chen, C. S. Ong, L. Liu, and Y. W. Chuang, “RFID application in hospitals: a case study on a demonstration RFID project in a Taiwan hospital,” in Proc. 39th. Hawaii Int'l Conf. Syst. Sci, 2007, 184a.
- C. J. Su and S. C. Shih, “Building distributed e-healthcare for elderly using RFID and multi-agent,” International Journal of Engineering Business Management, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 16–26, 2011.
- E. W. T. Ngai, K. K. L. Moon, F. J. Riggins, and C. Y. Yi, “RFID research: an academic literature review (1995–2005) and future research directions,” International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 510–520, 2008.
- S. L. Ting, S. K. Kwok, A. H. C. Tsang, and G. T. S. Ho, “The study on using passive RFID tags for indoor positioning,” International Journal of Engineering Business Management, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 2011.
- K. Ahsan, H. Shah, and P. Kingston, “RFID applications: an introductory and exploratory study,” International Journal of Computer Science Issues, vol. 7, no. 1, 2010.
- A. Valentin, M. Capuzzo, B. Guidet et al., “Patient safety in intensive care: results from the multinational Sentinel Events Evaluation (SEE) study,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1591–1598, 2006.
- F. M. E. Uzoka, “Fuzzy-expert system for cost benefit analysis of enterprise information systems: a framework,” International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 254–262, 2009.
- G. Hübner-Bloder and E. Ammenwerth, “Key performance indicators to benchmark hospital information systems - a Delphi study,” Methods of Information in Medicine, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 508–518, 2009.
- B. Lyke, “Health Care Reform: An Introduction,” CBS Report For Congress, Congressional Research Service, Washington, DC, 2009.
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organization, Hospital National Patient Safety Goals, 2011, http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/6/2011_HAP_NPSG_EASYTOREAD_docs_112-29.pdf, Accessed September 1, 2011.
- P. C. Liao, L. Liu, F. Kuo, and M. H. Jin, “Developing a patient safety based RFID information system – an empirical study in Taiwan. 2006,” in IEEE Int'l Conf. on Management of Innovation and Technology, pp. 585–589, 2006.
- W. Zhou and S. Piramuthu, “Healthcare process mining with RFID,” Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 405–411, 2010.
- L. L. Leape and D. M. Berwick, “Five years after to err is human, what have we learned? ” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 293, no. 19, pp. 2384–2390, 2005.
- R. Togt, E. J. Lieshout, R. Hensbroek, E. Beinat, J. M. Binnekade, and P. J. M. Baker, “Electromagnetic interference from radio frequency identification inducing potentially hazardous incidents in critical care medical equipment,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 24, 2008.
- C. C. Chao, W. Y. Jen, Y. P. Chi, and B. S. Lin, “Improving patient safety with RFID and mobile technology,” International Journal of Electronic Healthcare, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 175–192, 2007.
- M. Korcok, “Tracking itinerant patients and surgical sponges,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 180, no. 8, pp. E14–E15, 2009.
- P. Booth, P. H. Frisch, and S. Miodownik, “Application of RFID in an integrated healthcare environment,” in 28th IEEE EMBS Ann. Int'l Conf 2006, pp. 117–119, 2006.
- H. Hakim, R. Renouf, and J. Enderle, “Passive RFID asset monitoring system in hospital environment,” in 32nd Ann. Northeast Bioeng. Conf. 2006, pp. 217–218, 2006.
- A. C. Polycarpou, G. Gregoriou, A. Dimitriou et al., “Design and implementation of a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) system for healthcare applications,” in 12th Mediterranean Conf. on Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, pp. 897–900, 2010.
- B. S. Ashar and A. Ferriter, “Radio frequency identification technology in health care: benefits and potential risks,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 298, no. 19, pp. 2305–2307, 2007.
- P. G. Ranky, “An introduction to Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) methods and solutions,” Assembly Automation, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 28–33, 2006.
- S. F. Tzeng, W. H. Chen, and F. Y. Pai, “Evaluating the business value of RFID: evidence from five case studies,” International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 601–613, 2008.
- B. Houliston, Integrating RFID Technology into a Drug Administrating System, 2005, http://www.naccq.ac.nz/bacit/0301/2005houliston_rfid.htm, Accessed August 21, 2011.
- H. Alemdar and C. Ersoy, “Wireless sensor networks for healthcare: a survey,” Computer Networks, vol. 54, no. 15, pp. 2688–2710, 2010.
- L. Ho, M. Moh, Z. Walker, T. Hamada, and C. F. Su, “A prototype on RFID and sensor networks for elder healthcare: progress report. 2005,” in 2005 ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Experimental Approaches to Wireless Network Design and Analysis, pp. 70–75, 2005.
- G. Virone, A. Wood, L. Selavo et al., “An advanced wireless sensor network for health monitoring,” in Transdisciplinary Conf. on Distributed Diagnosis and Home Healthcare (D2H2), 2006.
- F. Wu, F. Kuo, and L. W. Liu, “The application of RFID on drug safety of inpatient nursing healthcare,” in 7th Int'l Conf. on Electronic Commerce, pp. 85–92, 2005.
- J. S. L. Ting, A. H. C. Tsang, A. W. H. Ip, and G. T. S. Ho, “RF-MediSys: a radio frequency identification-based electronic medical record system for improving medical information accessibility and services at point of care,” Health Information Management Journal, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 2011b.
- D. N. Due, J. Park, H. Lee, and K. Kim, “Enhancing security of EPCglobal GEN-2 RFID tag against traceability and cloning,” in 2006 Symp. on Crypt. and Info. Sec, 2006.
- S. Chawathe, V. Krishnamurthy, S. Ramachandran, and S. Sarma, “Managing RFID Data,” in 30th VLDB Conf., pp. 1189–1195, 2004.
- R. Derakhshan, ME. Orlowska, and X. Li, “RFID data management: challenges and opportunities,” in IEEE 1st Int'l Conf. on RFID, pp. 175–182, 2007.
- S. K. Kwok, A. H. C. Tsang, and B. C. F. Cheung, Realizing the Potential of RFID in Counterfeit Prevention, Physical Asset Management, and Business Applications: Case Studies of Early Adopters, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, 2007.
Copyright © 2012 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.