Research Article | Open Access
Musa Peker, Baha Sen, Dursun Delen, "Computer-Aided Diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease Using Complex-Valued Neural Networks and mRMR Feature Selection Algorithm", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 6, Article ID 493865, 22 pages, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-22126.96.36.1991
Computer-Aided Diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease Using Complex-Valued Neural Networks and mRMR Feature Selection Algorithm
Parkinson’s disease (PD) is a neurological disorder which has a significant social and economic impact. PD is diagnosed by clinical observation and evaluations, coupled with a PD rating scale. However, these methods may be insufficient, especially in the initial phase of the disease. The processes are tedious and time-consuming, and hence systems that can automatically offer a diagnosis are needed. In this study, a novel method for the diagnosis of PD is proposed. Biomedical sound measurements obtained from continuous phonation samples were used as attributes. First, a minimum redundancy maximum relevance (mRMR) attribute selection algorithm was applied for the identification of the effective attributes. After conversion to a complex number, the resulting attributes are presented as input data to the complex-valued artificial neural network (CVANN). The proposed novel system might be a powerful tool for effective diagnosis of PD.
- B. E. Sakar, M. E. Isenkul, C. O. Sakar et al., “Collection and analysis of a Parkinson speech dataset with multiple types of sound recordings,” IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 828–834, 2013.
- D. J. Moore, A. B. West, V. L. Dawson, and T. M. Dawson, “Molecular pathology of Parkinson’s disease,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 28, pp. 57–87, 2005.
- A. Elbaz, J. H. Bower, D. M. Maraganore et al., “Risk tables for Parkinsonism and Parkinson’s disease,” Journal of clinical epidemiology, vol. 55, pp. 25–31, 2002.
- M. A. Little, P. E. McSharry, E. J. Hunter, and L. O. Ramig, “Suitability of dysphonia measurements for telemonitoring of Parkinson’s disease,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 56, pp. 1015–1022, 2009.
- C. Ramaker, J. Marinus, A. M. Stiggelbout, and B. J. van Hilten, “Systematic evaluation of rating scales for impairment and disability in Parkinson’s disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 867–876, 2002.
- D. A. Umphred, R. T. Lazaro, M. Roller, and G. Burton, “Neurological rehabilitation,” Elsevier Health Sciences, 2013.
- R. Das and A. Sengur, “Evaluation of ensemble methods for diagnosing of valvular heart disease,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 5110–5115, 2010.
- R. Das, I. Turkoglu, and A. Sengur, “Effective diagnosis of heart disease through neural networks ensembles,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 7675–7680, 2009.
- F. L. Darley, A. E. Aronson, and J. R. Brown, “Differential diagnostic patterns of dysarthria,” Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, vol. 12, pp. 246–269, 1969.
- J. Gamboa, F. J. Jimenez-Jimenez, A. Nieto et al., “Acoustic voice analysis in patients with Parkinson’s disease treated with dopaminergic drugs,” Journal of Voice, vol. 11, pp. 314–320, 1997.
- A. Ho, J. L. Bradshaw, and R. Iansek, “For better or for worse: the effect of Levodopa on speech in Parkinson’s disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 574–580, 2008.
- B. Harel, M. Cannizzaro, and P. J. Snyder, “Variability in fundamental frequency during speech in prodromal and incipient Parkinson’s disease: A longitudinal case study,” Brain and Cognition, vol. 56, pp. 24–29, 2004.
- S. Skodda, H. Rinsche, and U. Schlegel, “Progression of dysprosody in Parkinson’s disease over time - A longitudinal study,” Movement Disorders, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 716–722, 2009.
- S. Sapir, L. Ramig, J. Spielman, and C. Fox, “Formant centralization ratio (FCR): A proposal for a new acoustic measure of dysarthric speech,” Journal of Speech Language and Hearing Research, vol. 53, pp. 114–125, 2010.
- L. Cnockaert, J. Schoentgen, P. Auzou, C. Ozsancak, L. Defebve, and F. Grenez, “Low frequency vocal modulations in vowels produced by Parkinsonian subjects,” Speech Communication, vol. 50, pp. 288–300, 2008.
- B. Shahbaba and R. Neal, “Nonlinear models using Dirichlet process mixtures,” Journal of Machine Learning Research, vol. 10, pp. 1829–1850, 2009.
- R. Das, “A comparison of multiple classification methods for diagnosis of Parkinson disease,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 1568–1572, 2010.
- P. F. Guo, P. Bhattacharya, and N. Kharma, “Advances in detecting Parkinson’s disease,” Medical Biometrics, vol. 6165, pp. 306–314, 2010.
- P. Luukka, “Feature selection using fuzzy entropy measures with similarity classifier,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 4600–4607, 2011.
- D. C. Li, C. W. Liu, and S. C. Hu, “A fuzzy-based data transformation for feature extraction to increase classification performance with small medical data sets,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 45–52, 2011.
- F. Aström and R. Koker, “A parallel neural network approach to prediction of Parkinsons disease,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 12470–12474, 2011.
- A. A. Spadoto, R. C. Guido, F. L. Carnevali, A. F. Pagnin, A. X. Falcao, and J. P. Papa, “Improving Parkinson’s disease identification through evolutionary-based feature selection,” in Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC ‘11), pp. 7857–7860, 2011.
- K. Polat, “Classification of Parkinson’s disease using feature weighting method on the basis of fuzzy c-means clustering,” International Journal of Systems Science, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 597–609.
- M. R. Daliri, “Chi-square distance kernel of the gaits for the diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease,” Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 66–70, 2013.
- W. L. Zuo, Z. Y. Wang, T. Liu, and H. L. Chen, “Effective detection of Parkinson’s disease using an adaptive fuzzy k-nearest neighbor approach,” Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 364–373, 2013.
- C. O. Sakar and O. Kursun, “Telediagnosis of Parkinson’s disease using measurements of dysphonia,” Journal of Medical Systems, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 591–599, 2010.
- A. Ozcift and A. Gulten, “Classifier ensemble construction with rotation forest to improve medical diagnosis performance of machine learning algorithms,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 443–451, 2011.
- H. L. Chen, C. C. Huang, X. G. Yu et al., “An efficient diagnosis system for detection of Parkinson’s disease using fuzzy k-nearest neighbor approach,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 263–271, 2013.
- H. K. Rouzbahani and M. R. Daliri, “Diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease in human using voice signals,” Basic and Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 12–20, 2011.
- C. Ma, J. Ouyang, H. L. Chen, and X. H. Zhao, “An efficient diagnosis system for Parkinson’s disease using kernel-based extreme learning machine with subtractive clustering features weighting approach in Medicine,” Computational and Mathematical Methods, 2014.
- A. Khorasani and M. R. Daliri, “HMM for classification of Parkinson’s disease based on the raw gait data,” Journal of Medical Systems, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 1–6, 2014.
- M. R. Daliri, “Automatic diagnosis of neuro-degenerative diseases using gait dynamics,” Measurement, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 1729–1734, 2012.
- B. Cao, D. Shen, J. T. Sun, Q. Yang, and Z. Chen, “Feature selection in a kernel space,” in 24th Annual International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 121–128, 2007.
- H. Hijazi and C. Christina, “A classification framework applied to cancer gene expression profiles,” Journal of healthcare engineering, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 255–284.
- M. R. Daliri, “Feature selection using binary particle swarm optimization and support vector machines for medical diagnosis,” Biomedizinische Technik/Biomedical Engineering, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 395–402, 2012.
- C. Ding and H. C. Peng, “Minimum redundancy feature selection from microarray gene expression data,” in Second IEEE Computational Systems Bioinformatics Conference, pp. 523–528, 2003.
- B. Sen, M. Peker, F. V. Celebi, and A. Cavusoglu, “A comparative study on classification of sleep stage based on EEG signals using feature selection and classification algorithms,” Journal of Medical Systems, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 1–21, 2014.
- M. V. França, G. Zaverucha, and A. S. D. A. Garcez, “Fast relational learning using bottom clause propositionalization with artificial neural networks,” Machine Learning, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 81–104, 2014.
- R. O. Duda, P. E. Hart, and D. G. Stork, Pattern classification, John Wiley & Sons, 2nd edition, 2012.
- X. Jin, A. Xu, R. Bie, and P. Guo, “Machine learning techniques and chi-square feature selection for cancer classification using SAGE gene expression profiles,” in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 3916, pp. 106–115, 2006.
- A. W. Whitney, “A direct method of nonparametric measurement selection,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1100–1103, 1971.
- P. Pudil, J. Novovičová, and J. Kittler, “Floating search methods in feature selection,” Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1119–1125, 1994.
- M. Robnik-Sikonja and I. Kononenko, “Theoretical and empirical analysis of ReliefF and RReliefF,” Machine Learning, vol. 53, no. 1-2, pp. 23–69, 2003.
- M. Ceylan, R. Ceylan, Y. Ozbay, and S. Kara, “Application of complex discrete wavelet transform in classification of Doppler signals using complex-valued artificial neural network,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 65–76, 2008.
- M. Peker and B. Sen, “A new complex-valued intelligent system for automated epilepsy diagnosis using EEG signals,” AWERProcedia Information Technology & Computer Science, pp. 1121–1128, 2013.
- R. Ceylan, M. Ceylan, Y. Ozbay, and S. Kara, “Fuzzy clustering complex-valued neural network to diagnose cirrhosis disease,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 9744–9751, 2011.
- M. Sivachitra et al., “A fully complex-valued fast learning classifier (FC-FLC) for real-valued classification problems,” Neurocomputing, vol. 149, pp. 198–206, 2015.
- O. Shogo, Y. Arima, and A. Hirose, “Millimeter-wave security imaging using complex-valued self-organizing map for visualization of moving targets,” Neurocomputing, pp. 134–247, 2014.
- B. Karthikeyan, S. Gopal, and M. Vimala, “Conception of complex probabilistic neural network system for classification of partial discharge patterns using multifarious inputs,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 953–963, 2005.
- M. Peker, B. Sen, and D. Delen, “A novel method for automated diagnosis of epilepsy using complex-valued classifiers,” IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 2015.
- X. Chen, Z. Tang, C. Variappan, S. Li, and T. Okada, “A modified error backpropagation algorithm for complex-value neural networks,” International Journal of Neural Systems, vol. 15, no. 06, pp. 435–443, 2005.
- I. Aizenberg, “Complex-valued neural networks with multi-valued neurons,” Heidelberg: Springer, pp. 264–265, 2011.
- T. Nitta, “Orthogonality of decision boundaries in complex-valued neural networks,” Neural Computation, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 73–97, 2004.
- H. G. Zimmermann, A. Minin, and V. Kusherbaeva, “Comparison of the complex valued and real valued neural networks trained with gradient descent and random search algorithms,” in European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks, Computational Intelligence and Machine Learning (ESANN), pp. 2013–2018, 2011.
- N. Benvenuto and F. Piazza, “On the complex back propagation algorithm,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 40, pp. 967–969, 1992.
- T. Nitta, “An extension of the back-propagation algorithm to complex numbers,” Neural Network, vol. 10, pp. 1391–1415, 1997.
- Y. Ozbay, S. Kara, F. Latifoglu, R. Ceylan, and M. Ceylan, “Complex-valued wavelet artificial neural network for doppler signals classifying,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 143–156, 2007.
- T. Nitta, “A back-propagation algorithm for complex numbered neural networks,” in Proceedings of 1993 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1649–1652, 1993.
- “Parkinsons Data Set,” Accessed September 5, 2014, https://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml/datasets/Parkinsons.
- J. Cohen, “A coefficient of agreement for nominal scales,” Educational and Psychological Measurement, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 37–46, 1960.
- Y. Zhang, X. Zhang, W. Liu et al., “Automatic sleep staging using multi-dimensional feature extraction and multi-kernel fuzzy support vector machine,” Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 505–520, 2014.
- R. Forsati, A. Moayedikia, R. Jensen, M. Shamsfard, and M. R. Meybodi, “Enriched ant colony optimization and its application in feature selection,” Neurocomputing, vol. 142, pp. 354–371, 2014.
- L. Y. Chuang, C. H. Yang, and J. C. Li, “Chaotic maps based on binary particle swarm optimization for feature selection,” Applied Soft Computing, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 239–248, 2011.
- C. Lian, S. Ruan, and T. Denœux, “An evidential classifier based on feature selection and two-step classification strategy,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 2318–2327, 2015.
- S. P. Moustakidis and J. B. Theocharis, “SVM-FuzCoC: A novel SVM-based feature selection method using a fuzzy complementary criterion,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 3712–3729, 2010.
- R. Hänsch and O. Hellwich, “Classification of polarimetric SAR data by complex valued neural networks,” in ISPRS Workshop High-Resolution Earth Imaging for Geospatial Information, pp. 4–7, 2009.
- I. Psorakis, T. Damoulas, and M. A. Girolami, “Multiclass relevance vector machines: sparsity and accuracy,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1588–1598, 2010.
- M. F. Amin, M. M. Islam, and K. Murase, “Ensemble of single-layered complex-valued neural networks for classification tasks,” Neurocomputing, vol. 72, no. 10, pp. 2227–2234, 2009.
Copyright © 2015 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.