Research Article | Open Access
Ping-Shun Chen, Rex Aurelius C. Robielos, Philline Kate Vera C. Palaña, Pierre Lorenzo L. Valencia, Gary Yu-Hsin Chen, "Scheduling Patients’ Appointments: Allocation of Healthcare Service Using Simulation Optimization", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 6, Article ID 915480, 22 pages, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-2218.104.22.1689
Scheduling Patients’ Appointments: Allocation of Healthcare Service Using Simulation Optimization
In the service industry, scheduling medical procedures causes difficulties for both patients and management. Factors such as fluctuations in customer demand and service time affect the appointment scheduling systems’ performance in terms of, for example, patients’ waiting time, idle time of resources, and total cost/profits. This research implements four appointment scheduling policies, i.e., constant arrival, mixed patient arrival, three-section pattern arrival, and irregular arrival, in an ultrasound department of a hospital in Taiwan. By simulating the four implemented policies’ optimization procedures, optimal or near-optimal solutions can be obtained for patients per arrival, patients’ inter-arrival time, and the number of the time slots for arrived patients. Furthermore, three objective functions are tested, and the results are discussed. The managerial implications and discussions are summarized to demonstrate how outcomes can be useful for hospital managers seeking to allocate their healthcare service capacities.
- M. M. Rinder, G. Weckman, D. Schwerha et al., “Healthcare scheduling by data mining: Literature review and future directions,” Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 477–501, 2012.
- C. L. Rau, P. F. J. Tsai, S. F. M. Liang et al., “Using discrete-event simulation in strategic capacity planning for an outpatient physical therapy service,” Health Care Management Science, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 352–365, 2013.
- D. Gupta and B. Denton, “Appointment scheduling in health care: Challenges and opportunities,” IIE Transactions, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 800–819, 2008.
- L. W. Robinson and R. R. Chen, “Scheduling doctors’ appointments: Optimal and empirically-based heuristic policies,” IIE Transactions, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 295–307, 2003.
- R. H. Edwards, J. E. Clague, J. Barlow, M. Clarke, P. G. Reed, and R. Rada, “Operations research survey and computer simulation of waiting times in two medical outpatient clinic structures,” Health Care Analysis, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 164–169, 1994.
- E. J. Rising, R. Baron, and B. Averill, “A systems analysis of a university-health-service outpatient clinic,” Operations Research, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1030–1047, 1973.
- S. H. Jacobson, S. N. Hall, and J. R. Swisher, “Discrete-event simulation of health care systems,” Operations Research & Management Science, vol. 91, pp. 211–252, 2006.
- K. J. Klassen and R. Yoogalingam, “Strategies for appointment policy design with patient unpunctuality,” Decision Sciences, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 881–911, 2014.
- M. Samorani and L. R. LaGanga, “Outpatient appointment scheduling given individual day-dependent no-show predictions,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 240, no. 1, pp. 245–257, 2015.
- A. Saremi, P. Jula, T. ElMekkawy, and G. G. Wang, “Appointment scheduling of outpatient surgical services in a multistage operating room department,” International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 646–658, 2013.
- W. Vink, A. Kuiper, B. Kemper, and S. Bhulai, “Optimal appointment scheduling in continuous time: The lag order approximation method,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 240, no. 1, pp. 213–219, 2015.
- K.-H. Chang, L. J. Hong, and H. Wan, “Stochastic trust-region response-surface method (STRONG)—A new response-surface framework for simulation optimization,” INFORMS Journal on Computing, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 230–243, 2013.
- W. Weerawat, J. Pichitlamken, and P. Subsombat, “A generic discrete-event simulation model for outpatient clinics in a large public hospital,” Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 285–305, 2013.
- B. P. Berg, B. T. Denton, S. A. Erdogan, T. Rohleder, and T. Huschka, “Optimal booking and scheduling in outpatient procedure centers,” Computers & Operations Research, vol. 50, pp. 24–37, 2014.
- C.-J. Ho and H.-S. Lau, “Minimizing total cost in scheduling outpatient appointments,” Management Science, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 1750–1764, 1992.
- C.-J. Ho and H.-S. Lau, “Evaluating the impact of operating conditions on the performance of appointment scheduling rules in service systems,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 542–553, 1999.
- M. Yokouchi, S. Aoki, S. Haixia, Z. Run, and S. Takakuwa, “Operations analysis and appointment scheduling for an outpatient chemotherapy department,” in The Proceedings of the 2012 Winter Simulation Conference, C. Laroque, J. Himmelspach, R. Pasupathy, O. Rose, and A. M. Uhrmacher, Eds., pp. 1–12, 2012.
- T. Cayirli and E. Veral, “Outpatient scheduling in health care: A review of literature,” Production and Operations Management, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 519–549, 2003.
- A. Wijewickrama and S. Takakuwa, “Simulation analysis of appointment scheduling in an outpatient department of internal medicine,” in The Proceedings of the 2005 Winter Simulation Conference, M. E. Kuhl, N. M. Steiger, F. B. Armstrong, and J. A. Joines, Eds., pp. 2264–2273, 2005.
- A. K. A. Wijewickrama and S. Takakuwa, “Simulation analysis of an outpatient department of internal medicine in a university hospital,” in The Proceedings of the 2006 Winter Simulation Conference, L. F. Perrone, F. P. Wieland, J. Liu, B. G. Lawson, D. M. Nicol, and R. M. Fujimoto, Eds., pp. 425–432, 2006.
- A. Wijewickrama and S. Takakuwa, “Outpatient appointment scheduling in a multi facility system,” in The Proceedings of the 2008 Winter Simulation Conference, S. J. Mason, R. R. Hill, L. Mönch, O. Rose, T. Jefferson, and J. W. Fowler, Eds., pp. 1563–1571, 2008.
- P. P. Wang, “Static and dynamic scheduling of customer arrivals to a single-server system,” Naval Research Logistics, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 345–360, 1993.
- T. Cayirli, K. K. Yang, and S. A. Quek, “A universal appointment rule in the presence of no-shows and walkins,” Production and Operations Management, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 682–697, 2012.
- K. J. Klassen and R. Yoogalingam, “Improving performance in outpatient appointment services with a simulation optimization approach,” Production and Operations Management, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 447–458, 2009.
- O. V. Shylo, L. Luangkesorn, O. A. Prokopyev, J. Rajgopal, and A. Schaefer, “Managing patient backlog in a surgical suite that uses a block-booking scheduling system,” in The Proceedings of the 2011 Winter Simulation Conference, S. Jain, R. R. Creasey, J. Himmelspach, K. P. White, and M. Fu, Eds., pp. 1314–1324, 2011.
- P.-S. Chen, C.-Y. Yang, and H.-L. Chao, “A simulation analysis of hospital collaboration: A preliminary study,” in The 2012 IIE Asian Conference, 2012.
- A. M. Law, Simulation Modeling and Analysis, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, Fourth edition, 2007.
- W. D. Kelton, R. P. Sadowski, and N. B. Swets, Simulation with Arena, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, Fifth edition, 2010.
Copyright © 2015 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.