- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 139127, 14 pages
The Tuberculous Granuloma: An Unsuccessful Host Defence Mechanism Providing a Safety Shelter for the Bacteria?
INSERM U892, CNRS UMR 6299, Université de Nantes, 44007 Nantes Cedex 1, France
Received 9 December 2011; Revised 16 April 2012; Accepted 30 April 2012
Academic Editor: E. Shevach
Copyright © 2012 Mayra Silva Miranda et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [34 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Toshihiro Ito, Judith M. Connett, Steven L. Kunkel, and Akihiro Matsukawa, “The linkage of innate and adaptive immune response during granulomatous development,” Frontiers in Immunology, vol. 4, 2012.
- S. Danaviah, J.A. Sacks, K.P.S. Kumar, L.M. Taylor, D.A. Fallows, T. Naicker, T. Ndung'u, S. Govender, and G. Kaplan, “Immunohistological characterization of spinal TB granulomas from HIV-negative and -positive patients,” Tuberculosis, 2013.
- Khalid Ahmed Al-Anazi, Asma Marzouq Al-Jasser, and Khalid Alsaleh, “Infections Caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Recipients of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation,” Frontiers in Oncology, vol. 4, 2014.
- Libin Shi, Gavin J. Ryan, Suresh Bhamidi, JoLynn Troudt, Anita Amin, Angelo Izzo, Anne J. Lenaerts, Michael R. McNeil, John T. Belisle, Dean C. Crick, and Delphi Chatterjee, “Isolation and Purification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from H37Rv Infected Guinea Pig Lungs,” Tuberculosis, 2014.
- Shajila Siricilla, Katsuhiko Mitachi, Karolina Skorupinska-Tudek, Ewa Swiezewska, and Michio Kurosu, “Biosynthesis of A Water-Soluble Lipid I Analogue and A Convenient Assay for Translocase I,” Analytical Biochemistry, 2014.
- Monika Prochorec-Sobieszek, and Ewa Lech-Maranda, “Hodgkin's Lymphoma Mimicking Tuberculosis In Cervical Lymph Nodes,” Polish Journal of Pathology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 83–88, 2014.
- Véronique Dartois, “The path of anti-tuberculosis drugs: from blood to lesions to mycobacterial cells,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, 2014.
- Marilena Paola Etna, Elena Giacomini, Martina Severa, and Eliana Marina Coccia, “Pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines in TB: A two-edged sword in TB pathogenesis,” Seminars in Immunology, 2014.
- Zhiwei Wang, Xiaoguang Li, Jie Pan, Huadan Xue, Zhengyu Jin, Haifeng Shi, Xiaobo Zhang, Wei Liu, and Ning Yang, “Role of CT-guided transthoracic core needle biopsy in the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis,” Radiology of Infectious Diseases, 2014.
- Shajila Siricilla, Katsuhiko Mitachi, Bajoie Wan, Scott G Franzblau, and Michio Kurosu, “Discovery of a capuramycin analog that kills nonreplicating Mycobacterium tuberculosis and its synergistic effects with translocase I inhibitors,” The Journal of Antibiotics, 2014.
- Liam E. Fitzgerald, Naiara Abendaño, Ramon A. Juste, and Marta Alonso-Hearn, “Three-Dimensional In Vitro Models of Granuloma to Study Bacteria-Host Interactions, Drug-Susceptibility, and Resuscitation of Dormant Mycobacteria,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–8, 2014.
- Kiran I. Masood, Shahid Pervez, Martin E. Rottenberg, Beena Umar, and Zahra Hasan, “Suppressor of cytokine signaling-1 and chemokine (C-X-C Motif) receptor 3 expressions are associated with caseous necrosis in granulomas from patients with tuberculous lymphadenitis,” Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection, 2015.
- Selvakumar Subbian, Liana Tsenova, Mi-Jeong Kim, Helen C. Wainwright, Annalie Visser, Nirmalya Bandyopadhyay, Joel S. Bader, Petros C. Karakousis, Gabriele B. Murrmann, Linda-Gail Bekker, David G. Russell, and Gilla Kaplan, “Lesion-Specific Immune Response in Granulomas of Patients with Pulmonary Tuberculosis: A Pilot Study,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 7, 2015.
- Zikun Huang, Qing Luo, Yang Guo, Jie Chen, Guoliang Xiong, Yiping Peng, Jianqing Ye, and Junming Li, “Mycobacterium tuberculosis-Induced Polarization of Human Macrophage Orchestrates the Formation and Development of Tuberculous Granulomas In Vitro,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 6, 2015.
- M.J.H. O’Hagan, E.A. Courcier, J.A. Drewe, A.W. Gordon, J. McNair, and D.A. Abernethy, “Risk factors for visible lesions or positive laboratory tests in bovine tuberculosis reactor cattle in Northern Ireland,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 2015.
- JoAnne L. Flynn, Hannah P. Gideon, Joshua T. Mattila, and Philana Ling Lin, “Immunology studies in non-human primate models of tuberculosis,” Immunological Reviews, vol. 264, no. 1, pp. 60–73, 2015.
- Agnieszka Krupa, Marek Fol, Bozena R. Dziadek, Ewa Kepka, Dominika Wojciechowska, Anna Brzostek, Agnieszka Torzewska, Jaroslaw Dziadek, Robert P. Baughman, David Griffith, and Anna K. Kurdowska, “ Binding of CXCL8/IL-8 to Mycobacterium tuberculosis Modulates the Innate Immune Response ,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2015, pp. 1–11, 2015.
- Jeffrey K. Actor, “Lactoferrin: A Modulator for Immunity against Tuberculosis Related Granulomatous Pathology,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2015, pp. 1–10, 2015.
- Arshad Khan, Robert L. Hunter, and Chinnaswamy Jagannath, “Emerging role of mesenchymal stem cells during tuberculosis: The fifth element in cell mediated immunity,” Tuberculosis, 2016.
- Katsuhiko Mitachi, Shajila Siricilla, Dong Yang, Ying Kong, Karolina Skorupinska-Tudek, Ewa Swiezewska, Scott G. Franzblau, and Michio Kurosu, “Fluorescence-based assay for polyprenyl phosphate-GlcNAc-1-phosphate transferase (WecA) and identification of novel antimycobacterial WecA inhibitors,” Analytical Biochemistry, 2016.
- Mani H. Vemula, Raghavender Medisetti, Rakesh Ganji, Kiran Jakkala, Swetha Sankati, Kiranam Chatti, and Sharmistha Banerjee, “Mycobacterium tuberculosis Zinc Metalloprotease-1 Assists Mycobacterial Dissemination in Zebrafish,” Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 7, 2016.
- Eric R. G. Lewis, and Alfredo G. Torres, “ The art of persistence—the secrets to Burkholderia chronic infections ,” Pathogens and Disease, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. ftw070, 2016.
- Collin R. Diedrich, Jennifer O'Hern, Maximiliano G. Gutierrez, Nafiesa Allie, Patricia Papier, Graeme Meintjes, Anna K. Coussens, Helen Wainwright, and Robert J. Wilkinson, “ Relationship Between HIV Coinfection, Interleukin 10 Production, and Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Human Lymph Node Granulomas ,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, pp. jiw313, 2016.
- Neha Agrawal, Chandrika Bhattacharyya, Ankur Mukherjee, Ubaid Ullah, Bhaswati Pandit, Kanury V.S. Rao, and Partha P. Majumder, “Dissecting host factors that regulate the early stages of tuberculosis infection,” Tuberculosis, 2016.
- Richard M. Armstrong, Katherine L. Adams, Joseph E. Zilisch, Daniel J. Bretl, Hiromi Sato, David M. Anderson, and Thomas C. Zahrt, “Rv2744c Is a PspA Ortholog That Regulates Lipid Droplet Homeostasis and Nonreplicating Persistence in Mycobacterium tuberculosis,” Journal Of Bacteriology, vol. 198, no. 11, pp. 1645–1661, 2016.
- Thais Barboza Bertolini, Alexandre Ignacio de Souza, Ana Flávia Gembre, Annie Rocio Piñeros, Rafael de Queiroz Prado, João Santana Silva, Leandra Naira Zambelli Ramalho, and Vânia Luiza Deperon Bonato, “ Genetic background affects the expansion of macrophage subsets in the lungs of Mycobacterium tuberculosis -infected hosts ,” Immunology, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 102–113, 2016.
- C. R. Scharn, A. C. Collins, V. R. Nair, C. E. Stamm, D. K. Marciano, E. A. Graviss, and M. U. Shiloh, “Heme Oxygenase-1 Regulates Inflammation and Mycobacterial Survival in Human Macrophages during Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 196, no. 11, pp. 4641–4649, 2016.
- Guanxiang Liang, Nilusha Malmuthuge, Yongjuan Guan, Yuwei Ren, Philip J. Griebel, and Le Luo Guan, “Altered microRNA expression and pre-mRNA splicing events reveal new mechanisms associated with early stage Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis infection,” Scientific Reports, vol. 6, pp. 24964, 2016.
- Dede K.W. Man, Michael Y.T. Chow, Luca Casettari, Mercedes Gonzalez-Juarrero, and Jenny K.W. Lam, “Potential and development of inhaled RNAi therapeutics for the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 2016.
- Shubhra Srivastava, Manisha Pathak, Himanshu Pandey, Sarita Tripathi, Rajiv Garg, Shailja Misra-Bhattacharya, and Ashish Arora, “Molecular characterization of novel immunodominant molybdenum cofactor biosynthesis protein Cl (Rv3111) from Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv,” Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta-General Subjects, vol. 1860, no. 4, pp. 694–707, 2016.
- C.R. Diedrich, J. O’Hern, and R.J. Wilkinson, “HIV-1 and the Mycobacterium tuberculosis granuloma: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Tuberculosis, 2016.
- Saifur R. Khan, Andrew G.M. Morgan, Karim Michail, Nutan Srivastava, Randy M. Whital, Naif Aljuhani, and Arno G. Siraki, “Metabolism of Isoniazid by Neutrophil Myeloperoxidase Leads to INH-NAD+ Adduct Formation: A Comparison of the Reactivity of Isoniazid with its Known Human Metabolites,” Biochemical Pharmacology, 2016.
- L. B. Kim, V. A. Shkurupy, and A. N. Putyatina, “Dynamic Structure of Proteoglycans/Glycosaminoglycans in the Lungs of Mice with Chronic Granulomatous Inflammation,” Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine, 2016.
- Bozena Dziadek, Anna Brzostek, Marcin Grzybowski, Marek Fol, Agnieszka Krupa, Jakub Kryczka, Przemyslaw Plocinski, Anna Kurdowska, and Jaroslaw Dziadek, “Mycobacterium tuberculosis AtsG (Rv0296c), GlmU (Rv1018c) and SahH (Rv3248c) Proteins Function as the Human IL-8-Binding Effectors and Contribute to P,” Plos One, vol. 11, no. 2, 2016.