- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Marine Biology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 518516, 12 pages
Not All Larvae Stay Close to Home: Insights into Marine Population Connectivity with a Focus on the Brown Surgeonfish (Acanthurus nigrofuscus)
1Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology, University of Hawaii at Manoa, P.O. Box 1346, Kaneohe, HI 96744, USA
2Marine Science Institute, University of Texas at Austin, Port Aransas, TX 78373, USA
3Department of Marine Sciences, University of Puerto Rico Mayagüez, P.O. Box 9000, Mayagüez, PR 00681, USA
Received 16 June 2010; Revised 18 August 2010; Accepted 19 September 2010
Academic Editor: Kim Selkoe
Copyright © 2011 Jeff A. Eble et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [29 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Ja Eble, Rj Toonen, L Sorenson, Lv Basch, Yp Papastamatiou, and Bw Bowen, “Escaping paradise: larval export from Hawaii in an Indo-Pacific reef fish, the yellow tang Zebrasoma flavescens,” Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 428, pp. 245–258, 2011.
- David Obura, “The Diversity and Biogeography of Western Indian Ocean Reef-Building Corals ,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 9, 2012.
- Iliana B. Baums, Jennifer N. Boulay, Nicholas R. Polato, and Michael E. Hellberg, “ No gene flow across the Eastern Pacific Barrier in the reef-building coral Porites lobata ,” Molecular Ecology, vol. 21, no. 22, pp. 5418–5433, 2012.
- William B. Ludt, Moises A. Bernal, Brian W. Bowen, and Luiz A. Rocha, “Living in the Past: Phylogeography and Population Histories of Indo-Pacific Wrasses (Genus Halichoeres) in Shallow Lagoons versus Outer Reef Slopes,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 6, 2012.
- Toby S. Daly-Engel, John E. Randall, and Brian W. Bowen, “Is the Great Barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda) a reef fish or a pelagic fish? The phylogeographic perspective,” Marine Biology, vol. 159, no. 5, pp. 975–985, 2012.
- Eric D. Crandall, Eric A. Treml, and Paul H. Barber, “Coalescent and biophysical models of stepping-stone gene flow in neritid snails,” Molecular Ecology, vol. 21, no. 22, pp. 5579–5598, 2012.
- C. R. C. Sheppard, M. Ateweberhan, B. W. Bowen, P. Carr, C. A. Chen, C. Clubbe, M. T. Craig, R. Ebinghaus, J. Eble, N. Fitzsimmons, M. R. Gaither, C-H. Gan, M. Gollock, N. Guzman, N. A. J. Graham, A. Harris, R. Jones, S. Keshavmurthy, H. Koldewey, C. G. Lundin, J. A. Mortimer, D. Obura, M. Pfeiffer, A. R. G. Price, S. Purkis, P. Raines, J. W. Readman, B. Riegl, A. Rogers, M. Schleyer, M. R. D Seaward, A. L. S. Sheppard, J. Tamelander, J. R. Turner, S. Visram, C. Vogler, S. Vogt, H. Wolschke, J. M-C. Yang, S-Y. Yang, and C. Yesson, “Reefs and islands of the Chagos Archipelago, Indian Ocean: why it is the world's largest no-take marine protected area,” Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 232–261, 2012.
- Matthew Iacchei, Tal Ben-Horin, Kimberly A. Selkoe, Christopher E. Bird, Francisco J. García-Rodríguez, and Robert J. Toonen, “ Combined analyses of kinship and F ST suggest potential drivers of chaotic genetic patchiness in high gene-flow populations ,” Molecular Ecology, vol. 22, no. 13, pp. 3476–3494, 2013.
- John C. Briggs, and Brian W. Bowen, “Marine shelf habitat: biogeography and evolution,” Journal of Biogeography, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1023–1035, 2013.
- J. B. Horne, and L. van Herwerden, “Long-term panmixia in a cosmopolitan Indo-Pacific coral reef fish and a nebulous genetic boundary with its broadly sympatric sister species,” Journal of Evolutionary Biology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 783–799, 2013.
- Luiz A. Rocha, Stephen A. Karl, Brian W. Bowen, and Robert J. Toonen, “The origins of tropical marine biodiversity,” Trends In Ecology & Evolution, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 359–366, 2013.
- Shang-Yin Vanson Liu, Feng-Ting Chang, Philippe Borsa, Wei-Jen Chen, and Chang-Feng Dai, “ Phylogeography of the humbug damselfish, Dascyllus aruanus (Linnaeus, 1758): evidence of Indo-Pacific vicariance and genetic differentiation of peripheral populations ,” Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 2014.
- Kimberly R. Andrews, Virginia N. Moriwake, Christie Wilcox, E. Gordon Grau, Christopher Kelley, Richard L. Pyle, and Brian W. Bowen, “Phylogeographic Analyses of Submesophotic Snappers Etelis coruscans and Etelis "marshi" (Family Lutjanidae) Reveal Concordant Genetic Structure across the Hawaiian Archipelago,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 4, 2014.
- Jude Keyse, Eric D. Crandall, Robert J. Toonen, Christopher P. Meyer, Eric A. Treml, and Cynthia Riginos, “The scope of published population genetic data for Indo-Pacific marine fauna and future research opportunities in the region,” Bulletin of Marine Science, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 47–78, 2014.
- Zoltan Szabo, Brent Snelgrove, Matthew T. Craig, Luiz A. Rocha, and Brian W. Bowen, “Phylogeography of the manybar goatfish, Parupeneus multifasciatus, reveals isolation of the Hawaiian Archipelago and a cryptic species in the Marquesas Islands,” Bulletin of Marine Science, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 493–512, 2014.
- Paulo Roberto Antunes de Mello Affonso, Maria Aparecida Fernandes, Josivanda Santos Almeida, and Wagner Franco Molina, “Sequential Steps of Chromosomal Differentiation in Atlantic Surgeonfishes: Evolutionary Inferences,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2014, pp. 1–7, 2014.
- P Gravestock, and C Sheppard, “Valuing the ecosystem services of the Chagos: a review of challenges and estimates,” Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 530, pp. 255–270, 2015.
- Jt Kool, Z Huang, and Sl Nichol, “Simulated larval connectivity among Australia’s southwest submarine canyons,” Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 539, pp. 77–91, 2015.
- David O. Obura, “An Indian Ocean centre of origin revisited: Palaeogene and Neogene influences defining a biogeographic realm,” Journal of Biogeography, 2015.
- Brian W. Bowen, Michelle R. Gaither, Joseph D. DiBattista, Matthew Iacchei, Kimberly R. Andrews, W. Stewart Grant, Robert J. Toonen, and John C. Briggs, “Comparative phylogeography of the ocean planet,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, pp. 201602404, 2016.
- Elizabeth M. Wallace, and Michael D. Tringali, “Fishery composition and evidence of population structure and hybridization in the Atlantic bonefish species complex (Albula spp.),” Marine Biology, vol. 163, no. 6, 2016.
- Jessy Castellanos-Gell, Aymée Robainas-Barcia, Fabián Pina-Amargós, Pedro Chevalier-Monteagudo, Cushla Metcalfe, Wagner Franco Molina, Didier Casane, and Erik García-Machado, “Genetic diversity of reef fishes around Cuba: a multispecies assessment,” Marine Biology, vol. 163, no. 7, 2016.
- Georgina M. Cooke, Timothy E. Schlub, William B. Sherwin, and Terry J. Ord, “Understanding the Spatial Scale of Genetic Connectivity at Sea: Unique Insights from a Land Fish and a Meta-Analysis,” Plos One, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. e0150991, 2016.
- Richard R. Coleman, Jeffrey A. Eble, Joseph D. DiBattista, Luiz A. Rocha, John E. Randall, Michael L. Berumen, and Brian W. Bowen, “Regal phylogeography: Range-wide survey of the marine angelfish Pygoplites diacanthus reveals evolutionary partitions between the Red Sea, Indian Ocean, and Pacific Ocean,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 2016.
- Joseph D. DiBattista, Jonathan Whitney, Matthew T. Craig, Jean-Paul A. Hobbs, Luiz A. Rocha, Kevin A. Feldheim, Michael L. Berumen, and Brian W. Bowen, “Surgeons and suture zones: Hybridization among four surgeonfish species in the Indo-Pacific with variable evolutionary outcomes,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 2016.
- Brian W. Bowen, “The Three Domains of Conservation Genetics: Case Histories from Hawaiian Waters,” Journal of Heredity, pp. esw018, 2016.
- Pauliina A. Ahti, Richard R. Coleman, Joseph D. DiBattista, Michael L. Berumen, Luiz A. Rocha, and Brian W. Bowen, “ Phylogeography of Indo-Pacific reef fishes: sister wrasses Coris gaimard and C. cuvieri in the Red Sea, Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean ,” Journal of Biogeography, 2016.
- Ellen Waldrop, Jean-Paul A. Hobbs, John E. Randall, Joseph D. DiBattista, Luiz A. Rocha, Randall K. Kosaki, Michael L. Berumen, and Brian W. Bowen, “ Phylogeography, population structure and evolution of coral-eating butterflyfishes (Family Chaetodontidae, genus Chaetodon , subgenus Corallochaetodon ) ,” Journal of Biogeography, 2016.
- Kimberly A. Tenggardjaja, Brian W. Bowen, and Giacomo Bernardi, “Reef Fish Dispersal in the Hawaiian Archipelago: Comparative Phylogeography of Three Endemic Damselfishes,” Journal of Marine Biology, vol. 2016, pp. 1–17, 2016.