NanocompositesView this Special Issue
P. Jawahar, M. Balasubramanian, "Preparation and Properties of Polyester-Based Nanocomposite Gel Coat System", Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2006, Article ID 021656, 7 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/JNM/2006/21656
Preparation and Properties of Polyester-Based Nanocomposite Gel Coat System
Nanocomposite gel coat system is prepared using unsaturated polyester resin with aerosil powder, , and organoclay. The influence of organoclay addition on mechanical and water barrier properties of gel coat system is studied for different amount (1, 2, and 3 wt ) of organoclay. The nanolevel incorporation of organoclay improves the mechanical and water barrier properties of nanocomposite gel coat system. The nanocomposite gel coat system exhibits 55 improvement in tensile modulus and 25 improvement in flexural modulus. There is a 30 improvement in impact property of nanocomposite gel coat system. The dynamic mechanical analysis shows a slight increase in glass transition temperature for nanocomposite gel coat system.
- A. Usuki, M. Kawasumi, Y. Kojima, A. Okada, T. Kurauchi, and O. Kamigaito, “Swelling behavior of montmorillonite cation exchanged for -amino acids by -caprolactam,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1174–1178, 1993.
- A. Usuki, Y. Kojima, M. Kawasumi et al., “Synthesis of nylon 6-clay hybrid,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1179–1184, 1993.
- Y. Kojima, A. Usuki, M. Kawasumi, A. Okada, T. Kurauchi, and O. Kamigaito, “Synthesis of nylon 6-clay hybrid by montmorillonite intercalated with -caprolactam,” Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 983–986, 1993.
- X. Kornmann, H. Lindberg, and L. A. Berglund, “Synthesis of epoxy-clay nanocomposites: influence of the nature of the clay on structure,” Polymer, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 1303–1310, 2001.
- M. Krook, A.-C. Albertsson, U. W. Gedde, and M. S. Hedenqvist, “Barrier and mechanical properties of montmorillonite/polyesteramide nanocomposites,” Polymer Engineering & Science, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1238–1246, 2002.
- D. M. Delozier, R. A. Orwoll, J. F. Cahoon, J. S. Ladislaw, J. G. Smith, Jr., and J. W. Connell, “Polyimide nanocomposites prepared from high-temperature, reduced charge organoclays,” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 2231–2241, 2003.
- B. K. Kim, J. W. Seo, and H. M. Jeong, “Morphology and properties of waterborne polyurethane/clay nanocomposites,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 85–91, 2003.
- A. Usoki, M. Kato, A. Okada, and T. Kurauchi, “Synthesis of polypropylene-clay hybrid,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 137–139, 1997.
- P. D. Kaviratna, T. Lan, and T. J. Pinnavaia, “Synthesis of polyether-clay nanocomposites: kinetics of epoxide self-polymerization in acidic smectite clay,” Polymer Preprints, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 788–793, 1994.
- T. J. Pinnavaia, “Intercalated clay catalysts,” Science, vol. 220, no. 4595, pp. 365–371, 1983.
- T. Lan and T. J. Pinnavaia, “Clay-reinforced epoxy nanocomposites,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 2216–2219, 1994.
- E. P. Giannelis, R. Krishnamoorti, and E. Manias, “Polymer-silicate nanocomposites: model systems for confined polymers and polymer brushes,” in Polymers in Confined Environments, vol. 138 of Advances in Polymer Science, pp. 107–147, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- Y. Kojima, A. Usuki, M. Kawasumi et al., “Mechanical properties of nylon 6-clay hybrid,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1185–1189, 1993.
- K. Yano, A. Usuki, A. Okada, T. Kurauchi, and O. Kamigaito, “Synthesis and properties of polymide-clay hybrid,” Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 2493–2498, 1993.
- Y. Kojima, K. Fukumori, A. Usuki, A. Okada, and T. Kurauchi, “Gas permeabilities in rubber-clay hybrid,” Journal of Materials Science Letters, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 889–890, 1993.
- P. Kelly, A. Akelah, S. Qutubuddin, and A. Moet, “Reduction of residual stress in montmorillonite/epoxy compounds,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 2274–2280, 1994.
- E. Haque and C. D. Armeniades, “Montmorillonite polymer concrete: zero-shrinkage and expanding polymer concrete with enhanced strength,” Polymer Engineering & Science, vol. 26, no. 21, pp. 1524–1530, 1986.
- E. P. Giannelis, “Polymer layered silicate nanocomposites,” Advanced Materials, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 1996.
- J. D. Lee, T. Takekoshi, and E. P. Giannelis, “Fire retardant polyetherimide nanocomposites,” in Proceedings of the Materials Research Society Symposium, vol. 457, pp. 513–518, Pittsburgh, Pa, USA, December 1997.
- X. Kornmann, L. A. Berglund, J. Sterte, and E. P. Giannelis, “Nanocomposites based on montmorillonite and unsaturated polyester,” Polymer Engineering & Science, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 1351–1358, 1998.
- B. Lepoittevin, N. Pantoustier, M. Devalckenaere et al., “Polymer/layered silicate nanocomposites by combined intercalative polymerization and melt intercalation: a masterbatch process,” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 2033–2040, 2003.
- D. J. Suh, Y. J. Lim, and O. O. Park, “The property and formation mechanism of unsaturated polyester-layered silicate nanocomposite depending on the fabrication methods,” Polymer, vol. 41, no. 24, pp. 8557–8563, 2000.
- I. Mironi-Harpaz, M. Narkis, and A. Siegmann, “Nanocomposite systems based on unsaturated polyester and organo-clay,” Polymer Engineering & Science, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 174–186, 2005.
- L. Xu and L. J. Lee, “Kinetic analysis and mechanical properties of nanoclay reinforced unsaturated polyester (UP) resins cured at low temperatures,” Polymer Engineering & Science, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 496–509, 2005.
- A. F. Xiao and Q. Syed, “Synthesis of unsaturated polyester-clay nanocomposites using reactive organoclays,” Polymer Engineering & Science, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 345–351, 2004.
- R. Magaraphan, W. Lilayuthalert, A. Sirivat, and J. W. Schwank, “Preparation, structure, properties and thermal behavior of rigid-rod polyimide/montmorillonite nanocomposites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 1253–1264, 2001.
- J.-H. Chang, B.-S. Seo, and D.-H. Hwang, “An exfoliation of organoclay in thermotropic liquid crystalline polyester nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 2969–2974, 2002.
- W. Bernd, H. Frank, and Q. Z. Ming, “Epoxy nanocomposites with high mechanical and tribological performance,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 14, pp. 2055–2067, 2003.
- J. H. Park and S. C. Jana, “The relationship between nano- and micro-structures and mechanical properties in PMMA-epoxy-nanoclay composites,” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 2091–2100, 2003.
- R. K. Bharadwaj, A. R. Mehrabi, C. Hamilton et al., “Structure-property relationships in cross-linked polyester-clay nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 43, no. 13, pp. 3699–3705, 2002.
- A. B. Inceoglu and U. Yilmazer, “Synthesis and mechanical properties of unsaturated polyester based nanocomposites,” Polymer Engineering & Science, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 661–669, 2003.
- C. T. Sun, S. K. Chaturvedi, and R. F. Gibson, “Internal damping of short-fiber reinforced polymer matrix composites,” Computers & Structures, vol. 20, no. 1–3, pp. 391–400, 1985.
- T. Lan, P. D. Kaviratna, and T. J. Pinnavaia, “On the nature of polyimide-clay hybrid composites,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 573–575, 1994.
Copyright © 2006 P. Jawahar and M. Balasubramanian. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.