Nanoporous and Nanostructured Materials for Catalysis, Sensor, and Gas Separation ApplicationsView this Special Issue
Sesha S. Srinivasan, Jeremy Wade, Elias K. Stefanakos, "Visible Light Photocatalysis via CdS/ Nanocomposite Materials", Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2006, Article ID 087326, 7 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/JNM/2006/87326
Visible Light Photocatalysis via CdS/ Nanocomposite Materials
Nanostructured colloidal semiconductors with heterogeneous photocatalytic behavior have drawn considerable attention over the past few years. This is due to their large surface area, high redox potential of the photogenerated charge carriers, and selective reduction/oxidation of different classes of organic compounds. In the present paper, we have carried out a systematic synthesis of nanostructured CdS- via reverse micelle process. The structural and microstructural characterizations of the as-prepared CdS- nanocomposites are determined using XRD and SEM-EDS techniques. The visible light assisted photocatalytic performance is monitored by means of degradation of phenol in water suspension.
- N. Serpone and E. Pelizzetti, Photocatalysis: Fundamentals and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1989.
- M. A. Fox and M. T. Dulay, “Heterogeneous photocatalysis,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 341–357, 1993.
- R. Asahi, T. Morikawa, T. Ohwaki, K. Aoki, and Y. Taga, “Visible-light photocatalysis in nitrogen-doped titanium oxides,” Science, vol. 293, no. 5528, pp. 269–271, 2001.
- M. R. Hoffmann, S. T. Martin, W. Choi, and D. W. Bahnemann, “Environmental applications of semiconductor photocatalysis,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 69–96, 1995.
- S. Yin and T. Sato, “Synthesis and photocatalytic properties of fibrous titania prepared from protonic layered tetratitanate precursor in supercritical alcohols,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 4526–4530, 2000.
- W. Chengyu, S. Huamei, T. Ying, Y. Tongsuo, and Z. Guowu, “Properties and morphology of CdS compounded visible-light photocatalytic nanofilms coated on glass surface,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 32, no. 1–3, pp. 357–362, 2003.
- A. Kumar and A. K. Jain, “Photophysics and photochemistry of colloidal CdS- coupled semiconductors—photocatalytic oxidation of indole,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical, vol. 165, no. 1-2, pp. 265–273, 2001.
- K. R. Gopidas, M. Bohorquez, and P. V. Kamat, “Photophysical and photochemical aspects of coupled semiconductors: charge-transfer processes in colloidal cadmium sulfide-titania and cadmium sulfide-silver(I) iodide systems,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 94, no. 16, pp. 6435–6440, 1990.
- P. Lianos and J. K. Thomas, “Cadmium sulfide of small dimensions produced in inverted micelles,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 299–302, 1986.
- M. L. Steigerwald, A. P. Alivisatos, J. M. Gibson et al., “Surface derivatization and isolation of semiconductor cluster molecules,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 110, no. 10, pp. 3046–3050, 1988.
- V. Arcoleo and V. Turco Liveri, “AFM investigation of gold nanoparticles synthesized in water/AOT/n-heptane microemulsions,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 258, no. 1-2, pp. 223–227, 1996.
- P. A. Sant and P. V. Kamat, “Interparticle electron transfer between size-quantized Cds and semiconductor nanoclustersy,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 198–203, 2002.
- J. C. Yu, L. Wu, J. Lin, P. Li, and Q. Li, “Microemulsion-mediated solvothermal synthesis of nanosized CdS-sensitized crystalline photocatalyst,” Chemical Communications, vol. 9, no. 13, pp. 1552–1553, 2003.
- Y. Bessekhouad, D. Robert, and J. V. Weber, “/ and CdS/ heterojunctions as an available configuration for photocatalytic degradation of organic pollutant,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol. 163, no. 3, pp. 569–580, 2004.
- E. Hao, B. Yang, J. Zhang, X. Zhang, J. Sun, and J. Shen, “Assembly of alternating /CdS nanoparticle composite films,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 1327–1328, 1998.
- M. G. Kang, H.-E. Han, and K.-J. Kim, “Enhanced photodecomposition of 4-chlorophenol in aqueous solution by deposition of CdS on ,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol. 125, no. 1–3, pp. 119–125, 1999.
- J.-S. Hu, Y.-G. Quo, H.-P. Liang, L.-J. Wan, C.-L. Bai, and Y.-G. Wang, “Interface assembly synthesis of inorganic composite hollow spheres,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 108, no. 28, pp. 9734–9738, 2004.
- S. V. Tambwekar, D. Venugopal, and M. Subrahmanyam, “ production of (CdS-ZnS)- supported photocatalytic system,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 957–963, 1999.
- W.-W. So, K.-J. Kim, and S.-J. Moon, “Photo-production of hydrogen over the CdS- nano-composite particulate films treated with ,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 229–234, 2004.
- H. Fujii, K. Inata, M. Ohtaki, K. Eguchi, and H. Arai, “Synthesis of /CdS nanocomposite via coating on CdS nanoparticles by compartmentalized hydrolysis of Ti alkoxide,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 527–532, 2001.
- Ö. E. Kartal, M. Erol, and H. Oǧuz, “Photocatalytic destruction of phenol by powders,” Chemical Engineering and Technology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 645–649, 2001.
- G. W. Robertson and C. N. Satterfield, “Effectiveness factor for porous catalysts. Langmuir-hinshelwood kinetic expressions,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Fundamentals, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 288–293, 1965.
- G. W. Robertson and C. N. Satterfield, “Effectiveness factor for porous catalysts. Langmuir-hinshelwood kinetic expressions for bimolecular surface reactions,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Fundamentals, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 317–325, 1966.
Copyright © 2006 Sesha S. Srinivasan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.