Luminescent NanomaterialsView this Special Issue
Review Article | Open Access
C. Armellini, A. Chiappini, A. Chiasera, M. Ferrari, Y. Jestin, M. Mortier, E. Moser, R. Retoux, G. C. Righini, "Rare Earth-Activated Silica-Based Nanocomposites", Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2007, Article ID 084745, 6 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/84745
Rare Earth-Activated Silica-Based Nanocomposites
Two different kinds of rare earth-activated glass-based nanocomposite photonic materials, which allow to tailor the spectroscopic properties of rare-earth ions: (i) Er3+-activated SiO2-HfO2 waveguide glass ceramic, and (ii) core-shell-like structures of Er3+-activated silica spheres obtained by a seed growth method, are presented.
- P. Moriarty, “Nanostructured materials,” Reports on Progress in Physics, vol. 64, pp. 297–381, 2001.
- R. S. Meltzer, W. M. Yen, H. Zheng et al., “Effect of the matrix on the radiative lifetimes of rare earth doped nanoparticles embedded in matrices,” Journal of Luminescence, vol. 94-95, pp. 217–220, 2001.
- R. S. Meltzer, S. P. Feofilov, B. Tissue, and H. B. Yuan, “Dependence of fluorescence lifetimes of : nanoparticles on the surrounding medium,” Physical Review B, vol. 60, no. 20, pp. R14012–R14015, 1999.
- M. Mortier and F. Auzel, “Rare-earth doped transparent glass-ceramics with high cross-sections,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 256-257, pp. 361–365, 1999.
- Y. Wang and J. Ohwaki, “New transparent vitroceramics codoped with and for efficient frequency upconversion,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 63, no. 24, pp. 3268–3270, 1993.
- M. C. Gonçalves, L. F. Santos, and R. M. Almeida, “Rare-earth-doped transparent glass ceramics,” Comptes Rendus Chimie, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 845–854, 2002.
- M. Mortier, “Between glass and crystal: glass-ceramics, a new way for optical materials,” Philosophical Magazine B, vol. 82, no. 6, pp. 745–753, 2002.
- F. Auzel and P. Goldner, “Towards rare-earth clustering control in doped glasses,” Optical Materials, vol. 16, no. 1-2, pp. 93–103, 2001.
- V. K. Tikhomirov, V. D. Rodríguez, J. Méndez-Ramos, P. Núñez, and A. B. Seddon, “Comparative spectroscopy of ()() alloys and -doped oxyfluoride glass-ceramics,” Optical Materials, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 543–547, 2004.
- L. L. Kukkonen, I. M. Reaney, D. Furniss, M. G. Pellatt, and A. B. Seddon, “Nucleation and crystallisation of transparent, erbium III-doped, oxyfluoride glass-ceramics,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 290, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 2001.
- M. Mattarelli, V. K. Tikhomirov, A. B. Seddon et al., “-activated transparent oxy-fluoride glass-ceramics: structural and spectroscopic properties,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 345-346, pp. 354–358, 2004.
- F. Liu, Y. Wang, D. Chen, and Y. Yu, “Investigation on crystallization kinetics and microstructure of novel transparent glass ceramics containing Nd:NaY nano-crystals,” Materials Science and Engineering B, vol. 136, no. 2-3, pp. 106–110, 2007.
- G. Dantelle, M. Mortier, D. Vivien, and G. Patriarche, “Influence of doping on the structure and luminescence of -doped transparent glass-ceramics,” Optical Materials, vol. 28, no. 6-7, pp. 638–642, 2006.
- M. Mortier, A. Bensalah, G. Dantelle, G. Patriarche, and D. Vivien, “Rare-earth doped oxyfluoride glass-ceramics and fluoride ceramics: synthesis and optical properties,” Optical Materials, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1263–1270, 2007.
- H. Hayashi, S. Tanabe, and T. Hanada, “1.4 m band emission properties of ions in transparent glass-ceramics containing nanocrystals for S-band amplifier,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 1041–1045, 2001.
- V. K. Tikhomirov, D. Furniss, A. B. Seddon et al., “Fabrication and characterization of nanoscale, -doped, ultratransparent oxyfluoride glass-ceramics,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 81, no. 11, pp. 1937–1939, 2002.
- H. Oishi, Y. Benino, and T. Komatsu, “Preparation and optical properties of transparent tellurite based glass-ceramics doped by and ,” Physics and Chemistry of Glasses, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 212–218, 1999.
- L. Kępiński and M. Wołcyrz, “Nanocrystalline rare earth silicates: structure and properties,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 81, no. 2-3, pp. 396–400, 2003.
- Q. Que, Y. Zhou, Y. L. Lam et al., “Photoluminescence of erbium oxide nanocrystals//-glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane (GLYMO) composite sol-gel thin films derived at low temperature,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 3058–3060, 2001.
- C. Strohhöfer, J. Fick, H. C. Vasconcelos, and R. M. Almeida, “Active optical properties of Er-containing crystallites in sol-gel derived glass films,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 226, no. 1-2, pp. 182–191, 1998.
- M. Langlet, C. Coutier, J. Fick et al., “Sol-gel thin film deposition and characterization of a new optically active compound: ,” Optical Materials, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 463–473, 2001.
- Y. Jestin, N. Afify, C. Armellini et al., “ activated silica-hafnia glass-ceramics planar waveguides,” in Integrated Optics, Silicon Photonics, and Photonic Integrated Circuits, vol. 6183 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 1–8, Strasbourg, France, April 2006.
- Y. Jestin, C. Arfuso-Duverger, C. Armellini et al., “Ceramization of erbium activated planar waveguides by bottom up technique,” in Optical Components and Materials IV, vol. 6469 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 1–9, San Jose, Calif, USA, January 2007.
- Y. Jestin, C. Armellini, A. Chiappini et al., “Erbium activated based glass-ceramics waveguides for photonics,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 353, no. 5–7, pp. 494–497, 2007.
- Y. Okamura, S. Yoshinaka, and S. Yamamoto, “Measuring mode propagation losses of integrated optical waveguides: a simple method,” Applied Optics, vol. 22, no. 23, pp. 3892–3894, 1983.
- R. R. Gonçalves, G. Carturan, L. Zampedri et al., “Sol-gel erbium-doped silica-hafnia planar and channel waveguides,” in Rare-Earth-Doped Materials and Devices VII, vol. 4990 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 111–120, San Jose, Calif, USA, January 2003.
- N. D. Afify, G. Dalba, C. Armellini, M. Ferrari, F. Rocca, and A. Kuzmin, “Local structure around in - glassy waveguides using EXAFS,” Physical Review B, vol. 76, Article ID 024114, 8 pages, 2007.
- L. Zampedri, G. C. Righini, H. Portales et al., “Sol-gel-derived Er-activated - planar waveguides for 1.5 m application,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 345-346, pp. 580–584, 2004.
- A. Chiappini, C. Armellini, S. N. B. Bhaktha et al., “Fabrication and optical assessment of sol-gel-derived photonic bandgap dielectric structures,” in Photonic Crystal Materials and Devices III, vol. 6182 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 1–10, Strasbourg, France, April 2006.
- A. Chiappini, C. Armellini, A. Chiasera et al., “Design of photonic structures by sol-gel-derived silica nanospheres,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 353, no. 5–7, pp. 674–678, 2007.
- G. H. Bogush, M. A. Tracy, and C. F. Zukoski IV, “Preparation of monodisperse silica particles: control of size and mass fraction,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 95–106, 1988.
- M. J. A. de Dood, B. Berkhout, C. M. van Kats, A. Polman, and A. van Blaaderen, “Acid-based synthesis of monodisperse rare-earth-doped colloidal spheres,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 2849–2853, 2002.
- W. J. Miniscalco, “Erbium-doped glasses for fiber amplifiers at 1500 nm,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 234–250, 1991.
- M. J. A. de Dood, L. H. Slooff, A. Polman, A. Moroz, and A. van Blaaderen, “Modified spontaneous emission in erbium-doped spherical colloids,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 79, no. 22, pp. 3585–3587, 2001.
- M. J. A. de Dood, L. H. Slooff, A. Polman, A. Moroz, and A. van Blaaderen, “Local optical density of states in spherical microcavities: theory and experiment,” Physical Review A, vol. 64, no. 3, Article ID 033807, 7 pages, 2001.
Copyright © 2007 C. Armellini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.