Luminescent NanomaterialsView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Daniele Falcomer, Adolfo Speghini, Giulio Ibba, Stefano Enzo, Carla Cannas, Anna Musinu, Marco Bettinelli, "Morphology and Luminescence of Nanocrystalline Nb2O5 Doped with Eu3+", Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2007, Article ID 094975, 5 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/94975
Morphology and Luminescence of Nanocrystalline Nb2O5 Doped with Eu3+
The synthesis of nanocrystalline N:E has been achieved by using a Pechini procedure. The obtained materials are single-phase niobia with the orthorhombic structure, average crystallite size around 25 nm and average lattice strain of about 0.002. TEM images show that the particles are rectangular and reasonably isolated. The luminescence of the E ions in the niobia lattice is efficient and affected by a strong inhomogeneous broadening, due to an important disorder around the lanthanide ions.
- D. Hreniak, W. Strek, A. Speghini, M. Bettinelli, G. Boulon, and Y. Guyot, “Infrared induced red luminescence of -doped polycrystalline ,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 88, Article ID 161118, 3 pages, 2006.
- T. Imai, S. Yagi, H. Yamazaki, and M. Ono, “Effects of heat treatment on photorefractive sensitivity of Ce- and Eu-doped strontium barium niobate,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 38, no. 4A, part 1, pp. 1984–1988, 1999.
- M. O. Ramírez, D. Jaque, L. E. Bausá, J. García-Solé, and A. A. Kaminskii, “Coherent light generation from a Nd:SBN nonlinear laser crystal through its ferroelectric phase transition,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 95, no. 26, Article ID 267401, 4 pages, 2005.
- A. Yoshikawa, H. Itagaki, and T. Fukuda et al., “Synthesis, crystal growth and second harmonic generation properties of trivalent rare-earth-doped non-linear tungsten-bronze-type structure (RE = Sc, Y, La, Gd, Yb and Lu),” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 247, no. 1-2, pp. 148–156, 2003.
- A. Lorenzo, H. Jaffrezic, B. Roux, G. Boulon, and J. García-Solé, “Lattice location of rare-earth ions in ,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 67, no. 25, pp. 3735–3737, 1995.
- M. Bettinelli, A. Speghini, and A. Ródenas et al., “Luminescence of lanthanide ions in strontium barium niobate,” Journal of Luminescence, vol. 122-123, pp. 307–310, 2007.
- M. O. Ramirez, L. E. Bausá, A. Speghini, M. Bettinelli, L. Ivleva, and J. García-Solé, “Thermal hysteresis in the luminescence of ions in ,” Physical Review B, vol. 73, no. 3, Article ID 035119, 8 pages, 2006.
- O. Friedrichs, J. C. Sánchez-López, C. López-Cartes, T. Klassen, R. Bormann, and A. Fernández, “ “pathway effect” on hydrogen sorption in Mg,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 15, pp. 7845–7850, 2006.
- T. Hyodo, J. Ohoka, Y. Shimizu, and M. Egashira, “Design of anodically oxidized films as a diode-type sensing material,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 359–366, 2006.
- M. Kakihana, ““Sol-gel” preparation of high temperature superconducting oxides,” Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 7–55, 1996.
- H. M. Rietveld, “Line profiles of neutron powder-diffraction peaks for structure refinement,” Acta Crystallographica, vol. 22, part 1, pp. 151–152, 1967.
- L. Lutterotti and S. Gialanella, “X-ray diffraction characterization of heavily deformed metallic specimens,” Acta Materialia, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 101–110, 1998.
- K. Kato and S. Tamura, “Die Kristallstruktur von ,” Acta Crystallographica B, vol. 31, part 3, pp. 673–677, 1975.
- W. Mertin, S. Andersson, and R. Gruehn, “Über die Kristallstruktur von ,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 1, no. 3-4, pp. 419–424, 1970.
- K. Kato, “Structure refinement of ,” Acta Crystallographica B, vol. 32, part 3, pp. 764–767, 1976.
- N. Pinna, M. Antonietti, and M. Niederberger, “A novel nonaqueous route to and nanocrystals,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 250, no. 1–3, pp. 211–213, 2004.
- R. Brayner and F. Bozon-Verduraz, “Niobium pentoxide prepared by soft chemical routes: morphology, structure, defects and quantum size effect,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 1457–1466, 2003.
- M. Daldosso, A. Speghini, and P. Ghigna et al., “Lanthanide doped strontium barium niobate: optical spectroscopy and local structure at the impurity sites,” to appear in Journal of Alloys and Compounds.
- R. Reisfeld, E. Zigansky, and M. Gaft, “Europium probe for estimation of site symmetry in glass films, glasses and crystals,” Molecular Physics, vol. 102, no. 11-12, pp. 1319–1330, 2004.
- E. Nakazawa, “Fundamentals of luminescence,” in Phosphor Handbook, S. Shionoya and W. M. Yen, Eds., p. 104, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1999.
- M. H. V. Werts, R. T. F. Jukes, and J. W. Verhoeven, “The emission spectrum and the radiative lifetime of in luminescent lanthanide complexes,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1542–1548, 2002.
- K. Kukli, M. Ritala, M. Leskelä, and R. Lappalainen, “Niobium oxide thin films grown by atomic layer epitaxy,” Chemical Vapor Deposition, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 1998.
- R. Romero, J. R. Ramos-Barrado, F. Martin, and D. Leinen, “ thin films obtained by chemical spray pyrolysis,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 888–891, 2004.
- R. S. Meltzer, S. P. Feofilov, B. Tissue, and H. B. Yuan, “Dependence of fluorescence lifetimes of : nanoparticles on the surrounding medium,” Physical Review B, vol. 60, no. 20, pp. R14012–R14015, 1999.
- A. Speghini, M. Bettinelli, P. Riello, S. Bucella, and A. Benedetti, “Preparation, structural characterization, and luminescence properties of -doped nanocrystalline ,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 2780–2791, 2005.
Copyright © 2007 Daniele Falcomer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.