- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 527437, 10 pages
Application of Flow Focusing to the Break-Up of a Magnetite Suspension Jet for the Production of Paramagnetic Microparticles
1Department of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Seville, 41012 Seville, Spain
2R&D Department, Ingeniatrics Tecnologías S.L., 41900 Camas (Seville), Spain
3Centro Andaluz de Biología Molecular y Medicina Regenerativa, CABIMER-CSIC, 41092 Seville, Spain
4Department of Genetics, Faculty of Biology, University of Seville, 41012 Seville, Spain
5Department of Aerospace Engineering and Fluids Mechanics, ESI, University of Seville, 41092 Seville, Spain
Received 31 May 2010; Accepted 25 July 2010
Academic Editor: Lu Sun
Copyright © 2011 Lucía Martín-Banderas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Ugelstad, K. H. Kaggerud, F. K. Hansen, and A. Berge, “Absorption of low molecular weight compounds in aqueous dispersions of polymer-oligomer particles. A two step swelling process of polymer particles giving an enormous increase in absorption capacity,” Makromolekulare Chemie, vol. 180, no. 3, pp. 737–744, 1979.
- D. Horák, F. Lednický, E. Petrovský, and A. Kapička, “Magnetic characteristics of ferrimagnetic microspheres prepared by dispersion polymerization,” Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 289, no. 4, pp. 341–348, 2004.
- J. Wang and S. P. Schwendeman, “Mechanisms of solvent evaporation encapsulation processes: prediction of solvent evaporation rate,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 1090–1099, 1998.
- D. Tanyolaç and A. R. Özdural, “Preparation of low-cost magnetic nitrocellulose microbeads,” Reactive and Functional Polymers, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 235–242, 2000.
- S. Omi, A. Kanetaka, Y. Shimamori, A. Supsakulchai, M. Nagai, and G.-H. Ma, “Magnetite microcapsules prepared using a glass membrane and solvent removal,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 749–765, 2001.
- R. Wilson, D. G. Spiller, I. A. Prior, K. J. Veltkamp, and A. Hutchinson, “A simple method for preparing spectrally encoded magnetic beads for multiplexed detection,” ACS Nano, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 487–493, 2007.
- H. Tokoro, T. Nakabayashi, S. Fujii, H. Zhao, and U. O. Häfeli, “Magnetic iron particles with high magnetization useful for immunoassay,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 321, no. 10, pp. 1676–1678, 2009.
- P. Tartaj, M. del Puerto Morales, S. Veintemillas-Verdaguer, T. González-Carreño, and C. J. Serna, “The preparation of magnetic nanoparticles for applications in biomedicine,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 36, no. 13, pp. R182–R197, 2003.
- M. A. M. Gijs, “Magnetic bead handling on-chip: new opportunities for analytical applications,” Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 22–40, 2004.
- A. K. Gupta and M. Gupta, “Synthesis and surface engineering of iron oxide nanoparticles for biomedical applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 18, pp. 3995–4021, 2005.
- S. Rudershausen, C. Grüttner, M. Frank, J. Teller, and F. Westphal, “Multifunctional superparamagnetic nanoparticles for life science applications,” European Cells and Materials, vol. 3, supplement 2, pp. 81–83, 2002.
- N. Wedemeyer, T. Pötter, S. Wetzlich, and W. Göhde, “Flow cytometric quantification of competitive reverse transcription-PCR products,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 1398–1405, 2002.
- S. P. Mulvaney, H. M. Mattoussi, and L. J. Whitman, “Incorporating fluorescent dyes and quantum dots into magnetic microbeads for immunoassays,” Biotechniques, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 602–609, 2004.
- K. Kriz, F. Ibraimi, M. Lu, L.-O. Hansson, and D. Kriz, “Detection of C-reactive protein utilizing magnetic permeability detection based immunoassays,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 77, no. 18, pp. 5920–5924, 2005.
- T. Banert and U. A. Peuker, “Synthesis of magnetic beads for bio-separation using the solution method,” Chemical Engineering Communications, vol. 194, no. 6, pp. 707–719, 2007.
- P. Wallemacq, J.-S. Goffinet, S. O'Morchoe et al., “Multi-site analytical evaluation of the abbott ARCHITECT Tacrolimus assay,” Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 198–204, 2009.
- L. Martín-Banderas, M. Flores-Mosquera, A. M. Gañan-Calvo, et al., “Towards high-throughput production of uniformly encoded microparticles,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 559–564, 2006.
- A. M. Gañán-Calvo, L. Martín-Banderas, R. González-Prieto et al., “Straightforward production of encoded microbeads by Flow Focusing: potential applications for biomolecule detection,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 324, no. 1, pp. 19–26, 2006.
- A. M. Gañán-Calvo, “Generation of steady liquid microthreads and micron-sized monodisperse sprays in gas streams,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 285–288, 1998.
- R. Bocanegra, J. L. Sampedro, A. Gañán-Calvo, and M. Márquez, “Monodisperse structured multi-vesicle microencapsulation using flow-focusing and controlled disturbance,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 745–759, 2005.
- L. Martín-Banderas, M. Flores-Masquera, P. Riesco-Chueca et al., “Flow focusing: a versatile technology to produce size-controlled and specific-morphology microparticles,” Small, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 688–692, 2005.
- M. A. Holgado, J. L. Arias, M. J. Cózar, J. Álvarez-Fuentes, A. M. Gañán-Calvo, and M. Fernández-Arévalo, “Synthesis of lidocaine-loaded PLGA microparticles by flow focusing. Effects on drug loading and release properties,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 358, no. 1-2, pp. 27–35, 2008.
- M. A. Holgado, M. J. Cózar-Bernal, S. Salas, J. L. Arias, J. Álvarez-Fuentes, and M. Fernández-Arévalo, “Protein-loaded PLGA microparticles engineered by flow focusing: physicochemical characterization and protein detection by reversed-phase HPLC,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 380, no. 1-2, pp. 147–154, 2009.
- A. M. Gañán-Calvo and P. Riesco-Chueca, “Jetting-dripping transition of a liquid jet in a lower viscosity co-flowing immiscible liquid: the minimum flow rate in flow focusing,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 553, pp. 75–84, 2006.
- A. M. Gañán-Calvo and J. M. Gordillo, “Perfectly monodisperse microbubbling by capillary flow focusing,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 87, no. 27, Article ID 274501, 4 pages, 2001.
- A. M. Gañán-Calvo, J. M. Fernández, A. Marquez Oliver, and M. Márquez, “Coarsening of monodisperse wet microfoams,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 84, no. 24, pp. 4989–4991, 2004.
- S. Takeuchi, P. Garstecki, D. B. Weibel, and G. M. Whitesides, “An axisymmetric flow-focusing microfluidic device,” Advanced Materials, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1067–1072, 2005.
- C.-H. Chen, A. R. Abate, D. L. Eugene, E. M. Terentjev, and D. A. Weitz, “Microfluidic assembly of magnetic hydrogel particles with uniformly anisotropic structure,” Advanced Materials, vol. 21, no. 31, pp. 3201–3204, 2009.
- K. P. Yuet, D. K. Hwang, R. Haghgooie, and P. S. Doyle, “Multifunctional superparamagnetic Janus particles,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 4281–4287, 2010.
- X. Gong, S. Peng, W. Wen, P. Sheng, and W. Li, “Design and fabrication of magnetically functionalized core/shell microspheres for smart drug delivery,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 292–297, 2009.
- J. P. Nolan and F. Mandy, “Multiplexed and microparticle-based analyses: quantitative tools for the large-scale analysis of biological systems,” Cytometry A, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 318–325, 2006.
- K. W. Bong, S. C. Chapin, and P. S. Doyle, “Magnetic barcoded hydrogel microparticles for multiplexed detection,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 8008–8014, 2010.