- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 249094, 11 pages
Analysis of Gas Permeability Characteristics of Poly(Lactic Acid)/Poly(Butylene Succinate) Nanocomposites
1Rheology and Materials Processing Centre, School of Civil, Environmental and Chemical Engineering, RMIT University, Melbourne, VIC 3001, Australia
2Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, Inha University, Incheon 402-751, Republic of Korea
Received 29 June 2012; Revised 13 September 2012; Accepted 13 September 2012
Academic Editor: Suprakas Sinha Ray
Copyright © 2012 Amita Bhatia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. S. Ray and M. Okamoto, “Polymer/layered silicate nanocomposites: a review from preparation to processing,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1539–1641, 2003.
- D. Garlotta, “A literature review of poly(lactic acid),” Journal of Polymers and the Environment, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 63–84, 2001.
- T. Fujimaki, “Processability and properties of aliphatic polyesters, “BIONOLLE”, synthesized by polycondensation reaction,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 59, no. 1–3, pp. 209–214, 1998.
- N. S. Oliveira, J. Oliveira, T. Gomes, A. Ferreira, J. Dorgan, and I. M. Marrucho, “Gas sorption in poly(lactic acid) and packaging materials,” Fluid Phase Equilibria, vol. 222-223, pp. 317–324, 2004.
- K. Bahari, H. Mitomo, T. Enjoji, F. Yoshii, and K. Makuuchi, “Radiation crosslinked poly(butylene succinate) foam and its biodegradation,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 551–557, 1998.
- Y. Doi, “Biodegradable plastics and polymer,” Journal of Pesticide Science, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. S11–S14, 1994.
- T. D. Fornes and D. R. Paul, “Modeling properties of nylon 6/clay nanocomposites using composite theories,” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 17, pp. 4993–5013, 2003.
- S. S. Ray, K. Yamada, M. Okamoto, A. Ogami, and K. Ueda, “New polylactide/layered silicate nanocomposites. 3. High-performance biodegradable materials,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1456–1465, 2003.
- S. S. Ray, K. Okamoto, and M. Okamoto, “Structure-property relationship in biodegradable poly(butylene succinate)/layered silicate nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 2355–2367, 2003.
- L. E. Nielsen, “Models for the permeability of filled polymers systems,” Journal of Macromolecular Science, Part A, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 929–942, 1967.
- A. S. Michaels and R. B. Parker, “Sorption and flow of gases in polyethylene,” Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 41, no. 138, pp. 53–71, 1959.
- R. K. Bharadwaj, “Modeling the barrier properties of polymer-layered silicate nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, vol. 34, no. 26, pp. 9189–9192, 2001.
- K. Yano, A. Usuki, A. Okada, T. Kurauchi, and O. Kamigaito, “Synthesis and properties of polymide-clay hybrid,” Journal of Polymer Science, Part A, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 2493–2498, 1993.
- E. P. Giannelis, R. Krishnamoorti, and E. Manias, “Polymer-silicate nanocomposites: model systems for confined polymers and polymer brushes,” Advances in Polymer Science, vol. 138, pp. 107–147, 1999.
- P. C. Lebaron, Z. Wang, and T. J. Pinnavaia, “Polymer-layered silicate nanocomposites: an overview,” Applied Clay Science, vol. 15, no. 1-2, pp. 11–29, 1999.
- K. Yano, A. Usuki, and A. Okada, “Synthesis and properties of polyimide-clay hybrid films,” Journal of Polymer Science, Part A, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 2289–2294, 1997.
- E. P. Giannelis, “Polymer layered silicate nanocomposites,” Advanced Materials, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 1996.
- K. E. Strawhecker and E. Manias, “Structure and properties of poly(vinyl alcohol)/Na+ montmorillonite nanocomposites,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 2943–2949, 2000.
- P. B. Messersmith and E. P. Giannelis, “Synthesis and barrier properties of poly(epsilon-caprolactone)-layered silicate nanocomposites,” Journal of Polymer Science Part A, vol. 33, pp. 1047–1057, 1995.
- D. Cava, A. L. Rubio, L. Cabedo et al., “Comparative performance and barrier properties of biodegradable thermoplastics and nanobiocomposites versus PET for food packaging applications,” in Proceedings of the Society of Plastics Engineers Annual Technical Conference (ANTEC'05), pp. 83–86, May 2005.
- A. Bhatia, R. K. Gupta, S. N. Bhattacharya, and H. J. Choi, “An investigation of melt rheology and thermal stability of poly(lactic acid)/poly(butylene succinate) nanocomposites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 114, no. 5, pp. 2837–2847, 2009.
- S. W. Ko, R. K. Gupta, S. N. Bhattacharya, and H. J. Choi, “Rheology and physical characteristics of synthetic biodegradable aliphatic polymer blends dispersed with MWNTs,” Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 295, no. 4, pp. 320–328, 2010.
- A. Bhatia, R. K. Gupta, S. N. Bhattacharya, and H. J. Choi, “Effect of clay on thermal, mechanical and gas barrier properties of biodegradable poly(lactic acid)/poly(butylene succinate) (PLA/PBS) nanocomposites,” International Polymer Processing, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 5–14, 2009.
- V. Krikorian and D. J. Pochan, “Poly (L-lactic acid)/layered silicate nanocomposite: fabrication, characterization, and properties,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 15, no. 22, pp. 4317–4324, 2003.
- J. H. Chang, Y. U. An, and G. S. Sur, “Poly(lactic acid) nanocomposites with various organoclays. I. Thermomechanical properties, morphology, and gas permeability,” Journal of Polymer Science Part B, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 94–103, 2002.
- Y. Wang, Q. Zhang, and Q. Fu, “Compatibilization of immiscible poly(propylene)/polystyrene blends using clay,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 231–235, 2003.
- S. K. Lim, J. W. Kim, I. Chin, Y. K. Kwon, and H. J. Choi, “Preparation and interaction characteristics of organically modified montmorillonite nanocomposite with miscible polymer blend of poly(ethylene oxide) and poly(methyl methacrylate),” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 1989–1994, 2002.
- G. X. Chen, H. S. Kim, E. S. Kim, and J. S. Yoon, “Compatibilization-like effect of reactive organoclay on the poly(l-lactide)/poly(butylene succinate) blends,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 25, pp. 11829–11836, 2005.
- G. Chen, X. Chen, Z. Lin, W. Ye, and K. Yao, “Preparation and properties of PMMA/clay nanocomposite,” Journal of Materials Science Letters, vol. 18, no. 21, pp. 1761–1763, 1999.
- C. H. Lee, H. B. Kim, S. T. Lim, H. J. Choi, and M. S. Jhon, “Biodegradable aliphatic polyester-poly (epichlorohydrin) blend/organoclay nanocomposites; synthesis and rheological characterization,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 40, no. 15, pp. 3981–3985, 2005.
- A. Bhatia, R. K. Gupta, S. N. Bhattacharya, and H. J. Choi, “Compatibility of biodegradable poly (lactic acid) (PLA) and poly (butylene succinate) (PBS) blends for packaging application,” Korea Australia Rheology Journal, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 125–131, 2007.
- S. Lee and J. W. Lee, “Characterization and processing of biodegradable polymer blends of poly(lactic acid) with poly(butylene succinate adipate),” Korea Australia Rheology Journal, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 71–77, 2005.
- T. C. Bissot, Barrier Polymers and Structures, ACS Symposium Series, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, USA, 1989, edited by W. J. Koros.
- S. S. Ray, K. Yamada, A. Ogami, M. Okamoto, and K. Ueda, “New polylactide/layered silicate nanocomposite: nanoscale control over multiple properties,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol. 23, no. 16, pp. 943–947, 2002.
- M. Krook, A. C. Albertsson, U. W. Gedde, and M. S. Hedenqvist, “Barrier and mechanical properties of montmorillonite/polyesteramide nanocomposites,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1238–1246, 2002.
- C. Thellen, C. Orroth, D. Froio et al., “Influence of montmorillonite layered silicate on plasticized poly(l-lactide) blown films,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 25, pp. 11716–11727, 2005.
- L. Gerlowski, Barrier Polymers andStructures, ACS Symposium Series, American Chemical Society, Washington DC, USA, 1989, edited by W. J. Koros.
- D. J. Sekelik, E. V. Stepanov, S. Nazarenko, D. Schiraldi, A. Hiltner, and E. Baer, “Oxygen barrier properties of crystallized and talc-filled poly(ethylene terephthalate),” Journal of Polymer Science Part B, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 847–857, 1999.
- W. R. Vieth, Diffusion in and Through Polymers, Hanser, Munich, Germany, 1991.
- M. Hedenqvist and U. W. Gedde, “Diffusion of small-molecule penetrants in semicrystalline polymers,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 299–333, 1996.
- M. Vincent, Characterisation of exfoliation and intercalation in polymer/layered silicate nanocomposites [M.S. thesis], Department of Chemical Engineering, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 2004.