- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 891318, 7 pages
Nanoparticles in Cancer Imaging and Therapy
1Institute of Medical Physics, School of Physics, The University of Sydney, Sydney, N.S.W 2006, Australia
2Plasma Nanoscience Centre Australia (PNCA), CSIRO Materials Science and Engineering, P.O. Box 218, Lindfield, N.S.W 2070, Australia
Received 10 February 2012; Accepted 3 March 2012
Academic Editor: Krasimir Vasilev
Copyright © 2012 Leon Smith et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Suetens, Fundamentals of Medical Imaging, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2009.
- P. Jackson, S. Periasamy, V. Bansal, and M. Geso, “Evaluation of the effects of gold nanoparticle shape and size on contrast enhancement in radiological imaging,” Australasian Physical and Engineering Sciences in Medicine, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 243–249, 2011.
- J. F. Hainfeld, D. N. Slatkin, T. M. Focella, and H. M. Smilowitz, “Gold nanoparticles: a new X-ray contrast agent,” British Journal of Radiology, vol. 79, no. 939, pp. 248–253, 2006.
- C. Fang and M. Zhang, “Multifunctional magnetic nanoparticles for medical imaging applications,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 35, pp. 6258–6266, 2009.
- D. Kim, M. K. Yu, T. S. Lee, J. J. Park, Y. Y. Jeong, and S. Jon, “Amphiphilic polymer-coated hybrid nanoparticles as CT/MRI dual contrast agents,” Nanotechnology, vol. 22, no. 15, Article ID 155101, 2011.
- H. M. Garnica-Garza, “Contrast-enhanced radiotherapy: feasibility and characteristics of the physical absorbed dose distribution for deep-seated tumors,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 54, no. 18, pp. 5411–5425, 2009.
- D. K. Chatterjee, L. S. Fong, and Y. Zhang, “Nanoparticles in photodynamic therapy: an emerging paradigm,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 60, no. 15, pp. 1627–1637, 2008.
- B. C. Wilson and M. S. Patterson, “The physics, biophysics and technology of photodynamic therapy,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. R61–R109, 2008.
- A. K. L. Yuen, G. A. Hutton, A. F. Masters, and T. Maschmeyer, “The interplay of catechol ligands with nanoparticulate iron oxides,” Dalton Transactions, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 2545–2559, 2012.
- R. S. Mello, H. Callison, J. Winter, A. R. Kagan, and A. Norman, “Radiation dose enhancement in tumors with iodine,” Medical Physics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 75–78, 1983.
- A. V. Mesa, A. Norman, T. D. Solberg, J. J. Demarco, and J. B. Smathers, “Dose distributions using kilovoltage X-rays and dose enhancement from iodine contrast agents,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 1955–1968, 1999.
- J. H. Rose, A. Norman, and M. Ingram, “First experience with radiation therapy of small brain tumors delivered by a computerized tomography scanner,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 30, pp. 1127–1132, 1994.
- F. Verhaegen, B. Reniers, F. Deblois, S. Devic, J. Seuntjens, and D. Hristov, “Dosimetric and microdosimetric study of contrast-enhanced radiotherapy with kilovolt x-rays,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 50, no. 15, pp. 3555–3569, 2005.
- A. R. Kagan, R. J. Steckel, P. Cancilla, G. Juillard, and T. Patin, “The pathogenesis of brain necrosis: time and dose parameters,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 1, no. 7-8, pp. 729–732, 1976.
- S. J. McMahon, M. H. Mendenhall, S. Jain, and F. Currell, “Radiotherapy in the presence of contrast agents: a general figure of merit and its application to gold nanoparticles,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 53, no. 20, pp. 5635–5651, 2008.
- R. I. Berbecoa, W. Ngwaa, and M. Makrigiorgosa, “Localized dose enhancement to tumor blood vessel endothelial cells via targeted gold nanoparticles: new potential for external beam radiotherapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 78, pp. S649–S650, 2010.
- D. B. Chithrani, S. Jelveh, F. Jalali et al., “Gold nanoparticles as radiation sensitizers in cancer therapy,” Radiation Research, vol. 173, no. 6, pp. 719–728, 2010.
- J. F. Hainfeld, F. A. Dilmanian, D. N. Slatkin, and H. M. Smilowitz, “Radiotherapy enhancement with gold nanoparticles,” The Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 977–985, 2008.
- J. F. Hainfeld, D. N. Slatkin, and H. M. Smilowitz, “The use of gold nanoparticles to enhance radiotherapy in mice,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 49, no. 18, pp. N309–N315, 2004.
- Y. Zheng, P. Cloutier, D. J. Hunting, and L. Sanche, “Radiosensitization by gold nanoparticles: comparison of DNA damage induced by low and high-energy electrons,” Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 469–473, 2008.
- S. Bhattacharyya, R. A. Kudgus, R. Bhattacharya, and P. Mukherjee, “Inorganic nanoparticles in cancer therapy,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 237–259, 2011.
- S. J. McMahon, W. B. Hyland, M. F. Muir, et al., “Biological consequences of nanoscale energy deposition near irradiated heavy atom nanoparticles,” Scientific Reports, vol. 1, article 18, 2011.
- M. K. K. Leung, J. C. L. Chow, B. D. Chithrani, M. J. G. Lee, B. Oms, and D. A. Jaffray, “Irradiation of gold nanoparticles by X-rays: Monte Carlo simulation of dose enhancements and the spatial properties of the secondary electrons production,” Medical Physics, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 624–631, 2011.
- A. Anshup, J. S. Venkataraman, C. Subramaniam et al., “Growth of gold nanoparticles in human cells,” Langmuir, vol. 21, no. 25, pp. 11562–11567, 2005.
- S. Jain, J. A. Coulter, A. R. Hounsell et al., “Cell-Specific Radiosensitization by gold nanoparticles at megavoltage radiation energies,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 531–539, 2011.
- M. Triesscheijn, P. Baas, J. H. M. Schellens, and F. A. Stewart, “Photodynamic therapy in oncology,” Oncologist, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1034–1044, 2006.
- D. K. Chatterjee and Z. Yong, “Upconverting nanoparticles as nanotransducers for photodynamic therapy in cancer cells,” Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 73–82, 2008.
- R. R. Allison, V. S. Bagnato, and C. H. Sibata, “Future of oncologic photodynamic therapy,” Future Oncology, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 929–940, 2010.
- S. Yamaguchi, H. Kobayashi, T. Narita et al., “Sonodynamic therapy using water-dispersed TiO2-polyethylene glycol compound on glioma cells: comparison of cytotoxic mechanism with photodynamic therapy,” Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 1197–1204, 2011.
- R. R. Allison, G. H. Downie, R. Cuenca, X.-H. Hu, C. J. H. Childs, and C. H. Sibata, “Photosensitizers in clinical PDT,” Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 27–42, 2004.
- M. K. K. Oo, Multifunctional Gold Nanoparticles For Photodynamic Therapy of Cancer, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2010.
- M. Kuruppuarachchi, H. Savoie, A. Lowry, C. Alonso, and R. W. Boyle, “Polyacrylamide nanoparticles as a delivery system in photodynamic therapy,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 920–931, 2011.
- P. Couleaud, V. Morosini, C. Frochot, S. Richeter, L. Raehm, and J.-O. Durand, “Silica-based nanoparticles for photodynamic therapy applications,” Nanoscale, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 1083–1095, 2010.
- M. Zeisser-Labouebe, N. Lange, R. Gurny, and F. Delie, “Hypericin-loaded nanoparticles for the photodynamic treatment of ovarian cancer,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 326, no. 1-2, pp. 174–181, 2006.
- E. Allemann, N. Brasseur, O. Benrezzak et al., “PEG-coated poly(lactic acid) nanoparticles for the delivery of hexadecafluoro zinc phthalocyanine to EMT-6 mouse mammary tumours,” The Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 382–387, 1995.
- V. Saxena, M. Sadoqi, and J. Shao, “Polymeric nanoparticulate delivery system for indocyanine green: biodistribution in healthy mice,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 308, no. 1-2, pp. 200–204, 2006.
- E. Ricci-Junior and J. M. Marchetti, “Zinc(II) phthalocyanine loaded PLGA nanoparticles for photodynamic therapy use,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 310, no. 1-2, pp. 187–195, 2006.
- L. Liu, P. Miao, Y. Xu, Z. Tian, Z. Zou, and G. Li, “Study of Pt/Tio2 nanocomposite for cancer-cell treatment,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 207–210, 2010.
- S. Yamaguchi, H. Kobayashi, T. Narita et al., “Novel photodynamic therapy using water-dispersed TiO2 polyethylene glycol compound: evaluation of antitumor effect on glioma cells and spheroids in vitro,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 964–971, 2010.
- A. Janczyk, A. Wolnicka-Głubisz, K. Urbanska, H. Kisch, G. Stochel, and W. Macyk, “Photodynamic activity of platinum(IV) chloride surface-modified TiO2 irradiated with visible light,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1120–1130, 2008.
- E. Fabian, R. Landsiedel, L. Ma-Hock, K. Wiench, W. Wohlleben, and B. van Ravenzwaay, “Tissue distribution and toxicity of intravenously administered titanium dioxide nanoparticles in rats,” Archives of Toxicology, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 151–157, 2008.
- B. K. Bernard, M. R. Osheroff, A. Hofmann, and J. H. Mennear, “Toxicology and carcinogenesis studies of dietary titanium dioxide-coated mica in male and female Fischer 344 rats,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 417–429, 1990.
- F. Bischoff and G. Bryson, “Tissue reaction to and fate of parenterally administered titanium dioxide. I. The intraperitoneal site in male Marsh-Buffalo mice,” Research Communications in Chemical Pathology and Pharmacology, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 279–290, 1982.
- C. Yu, T. Canteenwala, M. E. El-Khouly et al., “Efficiency of singlet oxygen production from self-assembled nanospheres of molecular micelle-like photosensitizers FC4S,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 18, pp. 1857–1864, 2005.
- B. Ungun, R. K. Prud'homme, S. J. Budijono et al., “Nanofabricated upconversion nanoparticles for photodynamic therapy,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 80–86, 2009.
- C. Guy and D. Ffytche, An Introduction to The Principles of Medical Imaging, Imperial College Press, London, UK, 2005.
- T. D. Schladt, K. Schneider, M. I. Shukoor et al., “Highly soluble multifunctional MnO nanoparticles for simultaneous optical and MRI imaging and cancer treatment using photodynamic therapy,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 38, pp. 8297–8304, 2010.
- W.-Y. Huang and J. J. Davis, “Multimodality and nanoparticles in medical imaging,” Dalton Transactions, vol. 40, no. 23, pp. 6087–6103, 2011.
- E. B. Podgorsak, Radiation Oncology Physics: A Handbook for Teachers and Students, IAEA, Vienna, Austria, 2005.
- B.-J. Schultz, P. Wust, L. Ludemann, G. Jost, and H. Pietsch, “Monte Carlo simulation of contrast-enhanced whole brain radiotherapy on a CT scanner,” Medical Physics, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 4672–4680, 2011.