- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 349140, 9 pages
Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles Induced Proinflammation of Primary Cultured Cardiac Myocytes of Rat
1Key Laboratory for Biomechanics and Mechanobiology of Ministry of Education, School of Biological Science and Medical Engineering, Beihang University, Beijing 100191, China
2Research Institute of Beihang University in Shenzhen, Shenzhen 518057, China
Received 14 June 2013; Accepted 26 July 2013
Academic Editor: Xiaoming Li
Copyright © 2013 Wei Song et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Linse, C. Cabaleiro-Lago, W. F. Xue et al., “Nucleation of protein fibrillation by nanoparticles,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 21, pp. 8691–8696, 2007.
- X. Li, H. Gao, M. Uo, et al., “Effect of carbon nanotubes on cellular functions in vitro,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 132–139, 2009.
- X. Li, L. Wang, Y. Fan, Q. Feng, and F. Cui, “Biocompatibility and toxicity of nanoparticles and nanotubes,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 548389, 19 pages, 2012.
- L. Yildirimer, N. T. K. Thanh, M. Loizidou, and A. M. Seifalian, “Toxicological considerations of clinically applicable nanoparticles,” Nano Today, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 585–607, 2011.
- X. Li, L. Wang, Y. Fan, Q. Feng, F. Z. Cui, and F. Watari, “Nanostructured scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 2424–2435, 2013.
- X. Li, H. Gao, M. Uo et al., “Maturation of osteoblast-like SaoS2 induced by carbon nanotubes,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 4, no. 1, Article ID 015005, 2009.
- X. Li, Q. Feng, X. Liu, W. Dong, and F. Cui, “Collagen-based implants reinforced by chitin fibres in a goat shank bone defect model,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1917–1923, 2006.
- K. Donaldson, V. Stone, C. L. Tran, W. Kreyling, and P. J. A. Borm, “Nanotoxicology,” Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 727–728, 2004.
- A. Nel, T. Xia, L. Mädler, and N. Li, “Toxic potential of materials at the nanolevel,” Science, vol. 311, no. 5761, pp. 622–627, 2006.
- X. Li, H. Liu, X. Niu et al., “The use of carbon nanotubes to induce osteogenic differentiation of human adipose-derived MSCs in vitro and ectopic bone formation in vivo,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 19, pp. 4818–4827, 2012.
- X. Li, H. Liu, X. Niu et al., “Osteogenic differentiation of human adipose-derived stem cells induced by osteoinductive calcium phosphate ceramics,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 10–19, 2011.
- D. B. Warheit, R. A. Hoke, C. Finlay, E. M. Donner, K. L. Reed, and C. M. Sayes, “Development of a base set of toxicity tests using ultrafine TiO2 particles as a component of nanoparticle risk management,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 171, no. 3, pp. 99–110, 2007.
- M. Skocaj, M. Filipic, J. Petkovic, and S. Novak, “Titanium dioxide in our everyday life; Is it safe?” Radiology and Oncology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 227–247, 2011.
- G. Oberdörster, E. Oberdörster, and J. Oberdörster, “Nanotoxicology: an emerging discipline evolving from studies of ultrafine particles,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 823–839, 2005.
- J. Wang, G. Zhou, C. Chen et al., “Acute toxicity and biodistribution of different sized titanium dioxide particles in mice after oral administration,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 168, no. 2, pp. 176–185, 2007.
- Z. Pan, W. Lee, L. Slutsky, R. A. F. Clark, N. Pernodet, and M. H. Rafailovich, “Adverse effects of titanium dioxide nanoparticles on human dermal fibroblasts and how to protect cells,” Small, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 511–520, 2009.
- K. J. Barnham, C. L. Masters, and A. I. Bush, “Neurodegenerative diseases and oxidatives stress,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 205–214, 2004.
- D. B. Warheit, W. J. Brock, K. P. Lee, T. R. Webb, and K. L. Reed, “Comparative pulmonary toxicity inhalation and instillation studies with different TiO2 particle formulations: impact of surface treatments on particle toxicity,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 514–524, 2005.
- D. Olmedo, M. B. Guglielmotti, and R. L. Cabrini, “An experimental study of the dissemination of titanium and zirconium in the body,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 793–796, 2002.
- J. Wu, W. Liu, C. Xue et al., “Toxicity and penetration of TiO2 nanoparticles in hairless mice and porcine skin after subchronic dermal exposure,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 191, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2009.
- L. Sheng, X. Wang, X. Sang, et al., “Cardiac oxidative damage in mice following exposure to nanoparticulate titanium dioxide,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2013.
- J.-X. Wang, Y.-B. Fan, Y. Gao, Q.-H. Hu, and T.-C. Wang, “TiO2 nanoparticles translocation and potential toxicological effect in rats after intraarticular injection,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 27, pp. 4590–4600, 2009.
- W. Zheng, Y. B. Lu, S. T. Liang, et al., “SIRT1 mediates the protective function of Nkx2.5 during stress in cardiomyocytes,” Basic Research in Cardiology, vol. 108, no. 4, p. 364, 2013.
- S. Hackenberg, G. Friehs, K. Froelich et al., “Intracellular distribution, geno- and cytotoxic effects of nanosized titanium dioxide particles in the anatase crystal phase on human nasal mucosa cells,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 195, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2010.
- Y. Pan, S. Neuss, A. Leifert et al., “Size-dependent cytotoxicity of gold nanoparticles,” Small, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 1941–1949, 2007.
- A. E. Nel, L. Mädler, D. Velegol et al., “Understanding biophysicochemical interactions at the nano-bio interface,” Nature Materials, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 543–557, 2009.
- X. Li, Y. Yang, Y. Fan, Q. Feng, F. Z. Cui, and F. Watari, “Biocomposites reinforced by fibers or tubes, as scaffolds for tissue engineering or regenerative medicine,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2013.
- X. Li, X. Liu, W. Dong et al., “In vitro evaluation of porous poly(L-lactic acid) scaffold reinforced by chitin fibers,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 503–509, 2009.
- E. Oberdörster, “Manufactured nanomaterials (fullerenes, C60) induce oxidative stress in the brain of juvenile largemouth bass,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 112, no. 10, pp. 1058–1062, 2004.
- X. Li, Y. Fan, and F. Watari, “Current investigations into carbon nanotubes for biomedical application,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 5, no. 2, Article ID 022001, 2010.
- X. Li, X. Liu, J. Huang, Y. Fan, and F.-Z. Cui, “Biomedical investigation of CNT based coatings,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 206, no. 4, pp. 759–766, 2011.
- S. E. Gratton, P. A. Ropp, P. D. Pohlhaus, et al., “The effect of particle design on cellular internalization pathways,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 33, pp. 11613–11618, 2008.
- X. Li, C. A. van Blitterswijk, Q. Feng, F. Cui, and F. Watari, “The effect of calcium phosphate microstructure on bone-related cells in vitro,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 23, pp. 3306–3316, 2008.
- W. Shen, K. Cai, Z. Yang, Y. Yan, W. Yang, and P. Liu, “Improved endothelialization of NiTi alloy by VEGF functionalized nanocoating,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 94, pp. 347–353, 2012.
- X. Li, Y. Huang, L. Zheng et al., “Effect of substrate stiffness on the functions of rat bone marrow and adipose tissue derived mesenchymal stem cells in vitro,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2013.
- C. M. Sayes, R. Wahi, P. A. Kurian et al., “Correlating nanoscale titania structure with toxicity: a cytotoxicity and inflammatory response study with human dermal fibroblasts and human lung epithelial cells,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 174–185, 2006.
- X. Huang, X. Teng, D. Chen, F. Tang, and J. He, “The effect of the shape of mesoporous silica nanoparticles on cellular uptake and cell function,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 438–448, 2010.
- J.-R. Gurr, A. S. S. Wang, C.-H. Chen, and K.-Y. Jan, “Ultrafine titanium dioxide particles in the absence of photoactivation can induce oxidative damage to human bronchial epithelial cells,” Toxicology, vol. 213, no. 1-2, pp. 66–73, 2005.
- T. Xia, M. Kovochich, J. Brant et al., “Comparison of the abilities of ambient and manufactured nanoparticles to induce cellular toxicity according to an oxidative stress paradigm,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 1794–1807, 2006.
- K. Peters, R. E. Unger, C. J. Kirkpatrick, A. M. Gatti, and E. Monari, “Effects of nano-scaled particles on endothelial cell function in vitro: studies on viability, proliferation and inflammation,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 321–325, 2004.
- R. J. Schutte, L. Xie, B. Klitzman, and W. M. Reichert, “In vivo cytokine-associated responses to biomaterials,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 160–168, 2009.