- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 832710, 9 pages
Preparation and Characterization of a Novel Hybrid Hydrogel Composed of Bombyx mori Fibroin and Poly(N-isopropylacrylamide)
Institute of Ecology and Environment, State Key Laboratory of Hydraulics and Mountain River Engineering, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610065, China
Received 18 September 2012; Accepted 22 November 2012
Academic Editor: Lian Gao
Copyright © 2013 Ting Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Vepari and D. L. Kaplan, “Silk as a biomaterial,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 32, no. 8-9, pp. 991–1007, 2007.
- C. Z. Zhou, F. Confalonieri, N. Medina et al., “Fine organization of Bombyx mori fibroin heavy chain gene,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 2413–2419, 2000.
- D. P. Tieleman, I. H. Shrivastava, M. R. Ulmschneider, and M. S. P. Sansom, “Silk fibroin: structural implications of a remarkable amino acid sequence,” Proteins, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 119–122, 2001.
- S. Ghosh, S. T. Parker, X. Wang, D. L. Kaplan, and J. A. Lewis, “Direct-write assembly of microperiodic silk fibroin scaffolds for tissue engineering applications,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 18, no. 13, pp. 1883–1889, 2008.
- R. Nazarov, H. J. Jin, and D. L. Kaplan, “Porous 3-D scaffolds from regenerated silk fibroin,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 718–726, 2004.
- C. Li, H. J. Jin, G. D. Botsaris, and D. L. Kaplan, “Silk apatite composites from electrospun fibers,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 3374–3384, 2005.
- B. M. Min, G. Lee, S. H. Kim, Y. S. Nam, T. S. Lee, and W. H. Park, “Electrospinning of silk fibroin nanofibers and its effect on the adhesion and spreading of normal human keratinocytes and fibroblasts in vitro,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 7-8, pp. 1289–1297, 2004.
- U. J. Kim, J. Park, C. Li, H. J. Jin, R. Valluzzi, and D. L. Kaplan, “Structure and properties of silk hydrogels,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 786–792, 2004.
- J. Y. Fang, J. P. Chen, Y. L. Leu, and H. Y. Wang, “Characterization and evaluation of silk protein hydrogels for drug delivery,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 156–162, 2006.
- A. Matsumoto, J. Chen, A. L. Collette et al., “Mechanisms of silk fibroin sol-gel transitions,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 43, pp. 21630–21638, 2006.
- M. Djabourov, J. P. Lechaire, and F. Gaill, “Structure and rheology of gelatin and collagen gels,” Biorheology, vol. 30, no. 3-4, pp. 191–205, 1993.
- S. Zhang, “Fabrication of novel biomaterials through molecular self-assembly,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1171–1178, 2003.
- Z. H. Ayub, M. Arai, and K. Hirabayashi, “Quantitative structural analysis and physical properties of silk fibroin hydrogels,” Polymer, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 2197–2200, 1994.
- M. Li, W. Tao, S. Kuga, and Y. Nishiyama, “Controlling molecular conformation of regenerated wild silk fibroin by aqueous ethanol treatment,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 694–698, 2003.
- H. J. Jin, J. Park, R. Valluzzi, P. Cebe, and D. L. Kaplan, “Biomaterial films of Bombyx mori silk fibroin with poly(ethylene oxide),” Biomacromolecules, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 711–717, 2004.
- G. D. Kang, J. H. Nahm, J. S. Park, J. Y. Moon, C. S. Cho, and J. H. Yeo, “Effects of poloxamer on the gelation of silk fibroin,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 788–791, 2000.
- X. Wang, J. A. Kluge, G. G. Leisk, and D. L. Kaplan, “Sonication-induced gelation of silk fibroin for cell encapsulation,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1054–1064, 2008.
- Q. Lv, K. Hu, Q. Feng, and F. Cui, “Fibroin/collagen hybrid hydrogels with crosslinking method: preparation, properties, and cytocompatibility,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 198–207, 2008.
- X. Chen, W. Li, W. Zhong, Y. Lu, and T. Yu, “pH sensitivity and ion sensitivity of hydrogels based on complex-forming chitosan/silk fibroin interpenetrating polymer network,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 2257–2262, 1997.
- H. Y. Kweon, S. H. Park, and J. H. Yeo, “Preparation of semi-interpenetrating polymer networks composed of silk fibroin and poly(ethylene glycol) macromer,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 1848–1853, 2001.
- M. K. Yoo, H. Y. Kweon, K. G. Lee, H. C. Lee, and C. S. Cho, “Preparation of semi-interpenetrating polymer networks composed of silk fibroin and poloxamer macromer,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 263–270, 2004.
- E. S. Gil and S. M. Hudson, “Effect of silk fibroin interpenetrating networks on swelling/deswelling kinetics and rheological properties of poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) hydrogels,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 258–264, 2007.
- M. Li, S. Lu, Z. Wu, K. Tan, N. Minoura, and S. Kuga, “Structure and properties of silk fibroin-poly(vinyl alcohol) gel,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 89–94, 2002.
- Q. Lv, Q. Feng, K. Hu, and F. Cui, “Three-dimensional fibroin/collagen scaffolds derived from aqueous solution and the use for HepG2 culture,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 26, pp. 12662–12669, 2005.
- E. S. Gil, D. J. Frankowski, R. J. Spontak, and S. M. Hudson, “Swelling behavior and morphological evolution of mixed gelatin/silk fibroin hydrogels,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 3079–3087, 2005.
- B. Jeong, S. W. Kim, and Y. H. Bae, “Thermosensitive sol-gel reversible hydrogels,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 37–51, 2002.
- W. E. Rudzinski, A. M. Dave, U. H. Vaishnav, S. G. Kumbar, A. R. Kulkarni, and T. M. Aminabhavi, “Hydrogels as controlled release devices in agriculture,” Designed Monomers and Polymers, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 39–65, 2002.
- R. C. Mundargi, N. B. Shelke, V. R. Babu, P. Patel, V. Rangaswamy, and T. M. Aminabhavi, “Novel thermo-responsive semi-interpenetrating network microspheres of gellan gum-poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) for controlled release of atenolol,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 1832–1841, 2010.
- K. M. Reddy, V. R. Babu, K. S. V. K. Rao et al., “Temperature sensitive semi-IPN microspheres from sodium alginate and N-isopropylacrylamide for controlled release of 5-fluorouracil,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 2820–2829, 2008.
- K. S. Soppimath, T. M. Aminabhavi, A. M. Dave, S. G. Kumbar, and W. E. Rudzinski, “Stimulus-responsive “smart” hydrogels as novel drug delivery systems,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 957–974, 2002.
- N. B. Shelke, S. V. Kumar, K. M. Mahadevan, B. S. Sherigara, and T. M. Aminabhavi, “Synthesis, characterization, and evaluation of copolymers based on N-isopropylacrylamide and 2-ethoxyethyl methacrylate for the controlled release of felodipine,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 2211–2217, 2008.
- X. Z. Zhang, Y. Y. Yang, T. S. Chung, and K. X. Ma, “Preparation and characterization of fast response macroporous poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) hydrogels,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 20, pp. 6094–6099, 2001.
- Y. Miyahara, N. Nagaya, M. Kataoka et al., “Monolayered mesenchymal stem cells repair scarred myocardium after myocardial infarction,” Nature Medicine, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 459–465, 2006.
- S. H. Choi, J. J. Yoon, and T. G. Park, “Galactosylated poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) hydrogel submicrometer particles for specific cellular uptake within hepatocytes,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 251, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 2002.
- X. D. Xu, H. Wei, X. Z. Zhang, S. X. Cheng, and R. X. Zhuo, “Fabrication and characterization of a novel composite PNIPAAm hydrogel for controlled drug release,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 418–426, 2007.
- C. Chang, H. Wei, C. Y. Quan et al., “Fabrication of thermosensitive PCL-PNIPAAm-PCL triblock copolymeric micelles for drug delivery,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 3048–3057, 2008.
- W. Liu, B. Zhang, W. W. Lu et al., “A rapid temperature-responsive sol-gel reversible poly(N-isopropylacrylamide)-g-methylcellulose copolymer hydrogel,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 15, pp. 3005–3012, 2004.
- M. W. Tibbitt and K. S. Anseth, “Hydrogels as extracellular matrix mimics for 3D cell culture,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 655–663, 2009.
- H. Cheng, L. Shen, and C. Wu, “LLS and FTIR studies on the hysteresis in association and dissociation of poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) chains in water,” Macromolecules, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 2325–2329, 2006.
- A. Martínez-Ruvalcaba, E. Chornet, and D. Rodrigue, “Viscoelastic properties of dispersed chitosan/xanthan hydrogels,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 586–595, 2007.
- H. H. Winter and F. Chambon, “Analysis of linear viscoelasticity of a crosslinking polymer at the gel point,” Journal of Rheology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 367–382, 1986.
- E. E. Holly, S. K. Venkataraman, F. Chambon, and H. H. Winter, “Fourier transform mechanical spectroscopy of viscoelastic materials with transient structure,” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 17–26, 1988.
- S. Y. Kim, D. G. Choi, and S. M. Yang, “Rheological analysis of the gelation behavior of tetraethylorthosilane/vinyltriethoxysilane hybrid solutions,” Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 190–196, 2002.
- B. Ranjbar and P. Gill, “Circular dichroism techniques: biomolecular and nanostructural analyses—a review,” Chemical Biology and Drug Design, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 101–120, 2009.
- Y. Pei, J. Chen, L. Yang et al., “The effect of pH on the LCST of poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) and poly(N-isopropylacrylamide-co-acrylic acid),” Journal of Biomaterials Science, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 585–594, 2004.