- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 679240, 10 pages
Thermal Resistance across Interfaces Comprising Dimensionally Mismatched Carbon Nanotube-Graphene Junctions in 3D Carbon Nanomaterials
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106-7222, USA
Received 17 December 2013; Accepted 1 April 2014; Published 25 June 2014
Academic Editor: Naoki Kishi
Copyright © 2014 Jungkyu Park and Vikas Prakash. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Varshney, S. S. Patnaik, A. K. Roy, G. Froudakis, and B. L. Farmer, “Modeling of thermal transport in pillared-graphene architectures,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 1153–1161, 2010.
- L. Xu, N. Wei, Y. Zheng, Z. Fan, H. Wang, and J. Zheng, “Graphene-nanotube 3D networks: intriguing thermal and mechanical properties,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1435–1444, 2012.
- Z. Fan, J. Yan, L. Zhi et al., “A three-dimensional carbon nanotube/graphene sandwich and its application as electrode in supercapacitors,” Advanced Materials, vol. 22, no. 33, pp. 3723–3728, 2010.
- G. K. Dimitrakakis, E. Tylianakis, and G. E. Froudakis, “Pillared graphene: a new 3-D network nanostructure for enhanced hydrogen storage,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 3166–3170, 2008.
- E. Tylianakis, G. M. Psofogiannakis, and G. E. Froudakis, “Li-doped pillared graphene oxide: a graphene-based nanostructured material for hydrogen storage,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, vol. 1, no. 16, pp. 2459–2464, 2010.
- F. D. Novaes, R. Rurali, and P. Ordejón, “Electronic transport between graphene layers covalently connected by carbon nanotubes,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 7596–7602, 2010.
- S. Li, Y. Luo, W. Lv et al., “Vertically aligned carbon nanotubes grown on graphene paper as electrodes in lithium-ion batteries and dye-sensitized solar cells,” Advanced Energy Materials, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 486–490, 2011.
- J. Lee, V. Varshney, A. K. Roy, and B. L. Farmer, “Single mode phonon energy transmission in functionalized carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 135, no. 10, Article ID 104109, 2011.
- Y. Zhu, L. Li, C. Zhang et al., “A seamless three-dimensional carbon nanotube graphene hybrid material,” Nature Communications, vol. 3, article 1225, 2012.
- G. C. Loh, E. H. T. Teo, and B. K. Tay, “Interpillar phononics in pillared-graphene hybrid nanostructures,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 110, no. 8, Article ID 083502, 2011.
- W. Humphrey, A. Dalke, and K. Schulten, “VMD: visual molecular dynamics,” Journal of Molecular Graphics, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 1996.
- J. González, F. Guinea, and J. Herrero, “Propagating, evanescent, and localized states in carbon nanotube-graphene junctions,” Physical Review B—Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, vol. 79, no. 16, Article ID 165434, 2009.
- J. González and J. Herrero, “Graphene wormholes: a condensed matter illustration of Dirac fermions in curved space,” Nuclear Physics B, vol. 825, no. 3, pp. 426–443, 2010.
- D. L. Nika and A. A. Balandin, “Phonon transport in graphene,” http://arxiv.org/abs/1203.4282.
- J.-C. Charlier, T. W. Ebbesen, and P. Lambin, “Structural and electronic properties of pentagon-heptagon pair defects in carbon nanotubes,” Physical Review B—Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, vol. 53, no. 16, pp. 11108–11113, 1996.
- J. Park, M. F. P. Bifano, and V. Prakash, “Sensitivity of thermal conductivity of carbon nanotubes to defect concentrations and heat-treatment,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 113, no. 3, Article ID 034312, 2013.
- J. Ma, D. Alfè, A. Michaelides, and E. Wang, “Stone-Wales defects in graphene and other planar sp2-bonded materials,” Physical Review B—Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, vol. 80, no. 3, Article ID 033407, 2009.
- F. Müller-Plathe, “A simple nonequilibrium molecular dynamics method for calculating the thermal conductivity,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 106, no. 14, pp. 6082–6085, 1997.
- J. Park and V. Prakash, “Thermal transport in 3D pillared SWCNT-graphene nanostructures,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 940–951, 2013.
- A. Bagri, S. Kim, R. S. Ruoff, and V. B. Shenoy, “Thermal transport across twin grain boundaries in polycrystalline graphene from nonequilibrium molecular dynamics simulations,” Nano Letters, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 3917–3921, 2011.
- S. Plimpton, P. Crozier, and A. Thompson, LAMMPS-Large-Scale Atomic/Molecular Massively Parallel Simulator, Sandia National Laboratories, 2007.
- S. J. Stuart, A. B. Tutein, and J. A. Harrison, “A reactive potential for hydrocarbons with intermolecular interactions,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 112, no. 14, pp. 6472–6486, 2000.
- H. Zhong and J. R. Lukes, “Interfacial thermal resistance between carbon nanotubes: molecular dynamics simulations and analytical thermal modeling,” Physical Review B—Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, vol. 74, no. 12, Article ID 125403, 2006.
- S. T. Huxtable, D. G. Cahill, S. Shenogin et al., “Interfacial heat flow in carbon nanotube suspensions,” Nature Materials, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 731–734, 2003.