- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 763736, 7 pages
Size Controlled Synthesis of Starch Nanoparticles by a Microemulsion Method
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Resource Science and Technology, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak,
94300 Kota Samarahan, Sarawak, Malaysia
Received 14 June 2013; Revised 14 October 2013; Accepted 15 October 2013; Published 2 January 2014
Academic Editor: Santanu K. Maiti
Copyright © 2014 Suk Fun Chin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Y. Kim, J. H. Lee, J. Y. Kim, W. J. Lim, and S. T. Lim, “Characterization of nanoparticles prepared by acid hydrolysis of various starches,” Starch, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 367–373, 2012.
- S. F. Chin, S. C. Pang, and S. H. Tay, “Size controlled synthesis of starch nanoparticles by a simple nanoprecipitation method,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 1817–1819, 2011.
- F. Geng, P. R. Chang, J. Yu, and X. Ma, “The fabrication and the properties of pretreated corn starch laurate,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 361–366, 2010.
- A. Rodrigues and M. Emeje, “Recent applications of starch derivatives in nanodrug delivery,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 987–994, 2012.
- J. Han, G. Borjihan, R. Bai, X. Chen, and X. Jing, “Synthesis and characterization of starch piperinic ester and its self-assembly of nanospheres,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 523–528, 2008.
- C. K. Simi and T. Emilia Abraham, “Hydrophobic grafted and cross-linked starch nanoparticles for drug delivery,” Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 173–180, 2007.
- D. Yu, S. Xiao, C. Tong, L. Chen, and X. Liu, “Dialdehyde starch nanoparticles: preparation and application in drug carrier,” Chinese Science Bulletin, vol. 52, no. 21, pp. 2913–2918, 2007.
- J. Y. Kim and S. T. Lim, “Preparation of nano-sized starch particles by complex formation with n-butanol,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 110–116, 2009.
- H. Horchani, M. Chaâbouni, Y. Gargouri, and A. Sayari, “Solvent-free lipase-catalyzed synthesis of long-chain starch esters using microwave heating: optimization by response surface methodology,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 466–474, 2010.
- Q. Gong, L. Q. Wang, and K. Tu, “In situ polymerization of starch with lactic acid in aqueous solution and the microstructure characterization,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 501–509, 2006.
- A. M. Shi, D. Li, L. J. Wang, B. Z. Li, and B. Adhikari, “Preparation of starch-based nanoparticles through high-pressure homogenization and miniemulsion cross-linking: influence of various process parameters on particle size and stability,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 1604–1610, 2011.
- S. H. Tay, S. C. Pang, and S. F. Chin, “Facile synthesis of starch-maleate monoesters from native sago starch,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 1195–1200, 2012.
- C. Gavory, A. Durand, J. L. Six, C. Nouvel, E. Marie, and M. Leonard, “Polysaccharide-covered nanoparticles prepared by nanoprecipitation,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 133–140, 2011.
- C. A. Dai, C. J. Chang, H. Y. Chi, H. T. Chien, W. F. Su, and W. Y. Chiu, “Emulsion synthesis of nanoparticles containing PEDOT using conducting polymeric surfactant: synergy for colloid stability and intercalation doping,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 2536–2548, 2008.
- H. Y. Koo, S. T. Chang, W. S. Choi, J. H. Park, D. Y. Kim, and O. D. Velev, “Emulsion-based synthesis of reversibly swellable, magnetic nanoparticle-embedded polymer microcapsules,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 18, no. 14, pp. 3308–3313, 2006.
- C. Tojo, M. de Dios, and F. Barroso, “Surfactant effects on microemulsion-based nanoparticle synthesis,” Materials, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 55–72, 2011.
- M. Ethayaraja, K. Dutta, D. Muthukumaran, and R. Bandyopadhyaya, “Nanoparticle formation in water-in-oil microemulsions: experiments, mechanism, and Monte Carlo simulation,” Langmuir, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 3418–3423, 2007.
- M. A. López-Quintela, “Synthesis of nanomaterials in microemulsions: formation mechanisms and growth control,” Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 137–144, 2003.
- J. Chingunpituk, “Nanosuspension technology for drug delivery,” Walailak Journal Science and Technology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 139–153, 2007.
- S. P. Moulik, A. K. Rakshit, and I. Capek, “Microemulsions as templates for nanomaterials,” in Microemulsions: Background, New Concepts, Applications, Perspectives, C. Stubenrauch, Ed., p. 180, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2009.
- J. P. Rao and K. E. Geckeler, “Polymer nanoparticles: preparation techniques and size-control parameters,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 887–913, 2011.
- M. A. Malik, M. Y. Wani, and M. A. Hashim, “Microemulsion method: a novel route to synthesize organic and inorganic nanomaterials,” Arabian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 397–417, 2012.
- S. Talegaonkar, A. Azeem, F. J. Ahmad, R. K. Khar, S. A. Pathan, and Z. I. Khan, “Microemulsions: a novel approach to enhanced drug delivery,” Recent Patents on Drug Delivery and Formulation, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 238–257, 2008.
- F. Wang, B. Fang, Z. Zhang, S. Zhang, and Y. Chen, “The effect of alkanol chain on the interfacial composition and thermodynamic properties of diesel oil microemulsion,” Fuel, vol. 87, no. 12, pp. 2517–2522, 2008.
- R. Gannu, C. R. Palem, V. V. Yamsani, S. K. Yamsani, and M. R. Yamsani, “Enhanced bioavailability of lacidipine via microemulsion based transdermal gels: formulation optimization, ex vivo and in vivo characterization,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 388, no. 1-2, pp. 231–241, 2010.
- R. Nagarajan and E. Ruckenstein, “Molecular theory of microemulsions,” Langmuir, vol. 16, no. 16, pp. 6400–6415, 2000.
- R. Dave and D. Madamwar, “Candida rugosa lipase immobilized in Triton-X100 microemulsion based organogels (MBGs) for ester synthesis,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 70–75, 2008.
- M. B. Cardoso, J. L. Putaux, D. Samios, and N. P. da Silveira, “Influence of alkali concentration on the deproteinization and/or gelatinization of rice starch,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 160–165, 2007.
- K. Neelam, S. Vijay, and S. Lalit, “Various techniques for the modification of starch and the applications of its derivatives,” International Research Journal of Pharmacy, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 25–31, 2012.
- J. A. Han and S. T. Lim, “Structural changes in corn starches during alkaline dissolution by vortexing,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 193–199, 2004.
- P. Rachtanapun, P. Simasatitkul, W. Chaiwan, and Y. Watthanaworasakun, “Effect of sodium hydroxide concentration on properties of carboxymethyl rice starch,” International Food Research Journal, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 923–931, 2012.
- J. Sun, S. Zhou, P. Hou et al., “Synthesis and characterization of biocompatible Fe3O4 nanoparticles,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 333–341, 2007.
- U. S. Khan, N. S. Khattak, A. Rahman, and F. Khan, “Optimal method for preparation of magnetite nanoparticles,” Journal of the Chemical Society of Pakistan, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 628–633, 2011.
- R. Pal, “Rheology of simple and multiple emulsions,” Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 41–60, 2011.
- Y. Sun, G. Guo, Z. Wang, and H. Guo, “Synthesis of single-crystal HAP nanorods,” Ceramics International, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 951–954, 2006.
- M. A. López-Quintela, C. Tojo, M. C. Blanco, L. García Rio, and J. R. Leis, “Microemulsion dynamics and reactions in microemulsions,” Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 9, no. 3-4, pp. 264–278, 2004.
- S. Hickey, S. A. Hagan, E. Kudryashov, and V. Buckin, “Analysis of phase diagram and microstructural transitions in an ethyl oleate/water/Tween 80/Span 20 microemulsion system using high-resolution ultrasonic spectroscopy,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 388, no. 1-2, pp. 213–222, 2010.
- M. J. Lawrence and G. D. Rees, “Microemulsion-based media as novel drug delivery systems,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 89–121, 2000.
- J. L. Salager, R. Anton, A. Forgiarini, and L. Marquez, “Formulation of microemulsions,” in Microemulsions: Background, New Concepts, Applications, Perspectives, C. Stubenrauch, Ed., pp. 105–106, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2009.
- V. B. Patravale and A. A. Date, “Microemulsions: pharmaceutical applications,” in Microemulsions: Background, New Concepts, Applications, Perspectives, C. Stubenrauch, Ed., pp. 259–266, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
- N. Savco, The role of inverse nonionic microemulsion in the synthesis of SiO2 nanoparticles [Ph.D. thesis], University of Trieste, Trieste, Italy, 2010.
- S. Schubert, J. T. Delaney Jr., and U. S. Schubert, “Nanoprecipitation and nanoformulation of polymers: from history to powerful possibilities beyond poly(lactic acid),” Soft Matter, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 1581–1588, 2011.
- M. Mohsen-Nia, H. Amiri, and B. Jazi, “Dielectric constants of water, methanol, ethanol, butanol and acetone: measurement and computational study,” Journal of Solution Chemistry, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 701–708, 2010.
- Y. Li, Y. Tan, Z. Ning, S. Sun, Y. Gao, and P. Wang, “Design and fabrication of fluorescein-labeled starch-based nanospheres,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 291–295, 2011.