- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 542698, 21 pages
Diet, Inflammation, and Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes: An Integrative Review of the Literature
College of Nursing, New York University, 726 Broadway, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10003, USA
Received 9 August 2012; Accepted 19 September 2012
Academic Editor: Maria Luz Fernandez
Copyright © 2012 Sarah Y. Nowlin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Diabetes Fact Sheet: National Estimates and General Information on Diabetes and Prediabetes in the United States, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2011.
- D. Grotto and E. Zied, “The standard American diet and its relationship to the health status of Americans,” Nutrition in Clinical Practice, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 603–612, 2010.
- J. Salmerón, F. B. Hu, J. E. Manson et al., “Dietary fat intake and risk of type 2 diabetes in women,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1019–1026, 2001.
- A. Astrup and N. Finer, “Redefining type 2 diabetes: “Diabesity” or “obesity dependent diabetes mellitus”?” Obesity Reviews, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 57–59, 2000.
- W. C. Knowler, E. Barrett-Connor, S. E. Fowler et al., “Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 6, pp. 393–403, 2002.
- M. P. Stern, “Diabetes and cardiovascular disease: the “common soil” hypothesis,” Diabetes, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 369–374, 1995.
- R. C. Turner, H. Millns, H. A. W. Neil et al., “Risk factors for coronary artery disease in non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus: United Kingdom prospective diabetes study (UKPDS: 23),” British Medical Journal, vol. 316, no. 7134, pp. 823–828, 1998.
- A. G. Bertoni, G. L. Burke, J. A. Owusu et al., “Inflammation and the incidence of type 2 diabetes: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA),” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 804–810, 2010.
- B. B. Duncan, M. I. Schmidt, J. S. Pankow et al., “Low-grade systemic inflammation and the development of type 2 diabetes: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 7, pp. 1799–1805, 2003.
- D. H. Kang, M. Rice, N. J. Park, A. Turner-Henson, and C. Downs, “Stress and inflammation: a biobehavioral approach for nursing research,” Western Journal of Nursing Research, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 730–760, 2010.
- C. M. Kastorini and D. B. Panagiotakos, “Dietary patterns and prevention of type 2 diabetes: from research to clinical practice—a systematic review,” Current Diabetes Reviews, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 221–227, 2009.
- M. Á. Martínez-González, C. De La Fuente-Arrillaga, J. M. Nunez-Cordoba et al., “Adherence to Mediterranean diet and risk of developing diabetes: prospective cohort study,” BMJ, vol. 336, no. 7657, pp. 1348–1351, 2008.
- F. Centritto, L. Iacoviello, R. di Giuseppe et al., “Dietary patterns, cardiovascular risk factors and C-reactive protein in a healthy Italian population,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 697–706, 2009.
- R. Åsgård, E. Rytter, S. Basu, L. Abramsson-Zetterberg, L. Möller, and B. Vessby, “High intake of fruit and vegetables is related to low oxidative stress and inflammation in a group of patients with type 2 diabetes,” Scandinavian Journal of Food and Nutrition, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 149–158, 2007.
- L. Qi, R. M. Van Dam, S. Liu, M. Franz, C. Mantzoros, and F. B. Hu, “Whole-grain, bran, and cereal fiber intakes and markers of systemic inflammation in diabetic women,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 207–211, 2006.
- R. Marfella, F. Cacciapuoti, M. Siniscalchi et al., “Effect of moderate red wine intake on cardiac prognosis after recent acute myocardial infarction of subjects with Type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 974–981, 2006.
- M. L. Vetter, A. Wade, L. G. Womble, C. Dalton-Bakes, T. A. Wadden, and N. Iqbal, “Effect of a low-carbohydrate diet versus a low-fat, calorie-restricted diet on adipokine levels in obese, diabetic participants,” Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity, vol. 3, pp. 357–361, 2010.
- L. Azadbakht, P. J. Surkan, A. Esmaillzadeh, and W. C. Willett, “The dietary approaches to stop hypertension eating plan affects C-reactive protein, coagulation abnormalities, and hepatic function tests among type 2 diabetic patients,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 141, no. 6, pp. 1083–1088, 2011.
- L. Bozzetto, C. De Natale, L. Di Capua et al., “The association of hs-CRP with fasting and postprandial plasma lipids in patients with type 2 diabetes is disrupted by dietary monounsaturated fatty acids,” Acta Diabetologica. In press.
- C. Itsiopoulos, L. Brazionis, M. Kaimakamis et al., “Can the Mediterranean diet lower HbA1c in type 2 diabetes? Results from a randomized cross-over study,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 740–747, 2010.
- I. Dostlova, T. Roubcek, M. Brtlov et al., “Increased serum concentrations of macrophage inhibitory cytokine-1 in patients with obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus: the influence of very low calorie diet,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 161, pp. 397–404, 2009.
- L. Kozłowska, A. Rydzewski, B. Fiderkiewicz, A. Wasińska-Krawczyk, A. Grzechnik, and D. Rosołowska-Huszcz, “Adiponectin, resistin and leptin response to dietary intervention in diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of Renal Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 255–262, 2010.
- M. Mraz, Z. Lacinova, J. Drapalova et al., “The effect of very-low-calorie diet on mRNA expression of inflammation-related genes in subcutaneous adipose tissue and peripheral monocytes of obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. E606–E613, 2011.
- N. D. Barnard, J. Cohen, D. J. A. Jenkins et al., “A low-fat vegan diet and a conventional diabetes diet in the treatment of type 2 diabetes: a randomized, controlled, 74-wk clinical trial,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 1588S–1596S, 2009.
- G. D. Brinkworth, M. Noakes, B. Parker, P. Foster, and P. M. Clifton, “Long-term effects of advice to consume a high-protein, low-fat diet, rather than a conventional weight-loss diet, in obese adults with Type 2 diabetes: one-year follow-up of a randomised trial,” Diabetologia, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 1677–1686, 2004.
- N. J. Davis, J. P. Crandall, S. Gajavelli et al., “Differential effects of low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets on inflammation and endothelial function in diabetes,” Journal of Diabetes and Its Complications, vol. 25, pp. 371–376, 2011.
- I. Giannopoulou, B. Fernhall, R. Carhart et al., “Effects of diet and/or exercise on the adipocytokine and inflammatory cytokine levels of postmenopausal women with type 2 diabetes,” Metabolism, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 866–875, 2005.
- J. Khoo, C. Piantadosi, R. Duncan et al., “Comparing effects of a low-energy diet and a high-protein low-fat diet on sexual and endothelial function, urinary tract symptoms, and inflammation in obese diabetic men,” Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 8, pp. 2868–2875, 2011.
- T. M. S. Wolever, A. L. Gibbs, C. Mehling et al., “The Canadian Trial of Carbohydrates in Diabetes (CCD), a 1-y controlled trial of low-glycemic-index dietary carbohydrate in type 2 diabetes: no effect on glycated hemoglobin but reduction in C-reactive protein,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 114–125, 2008.
- R. Whittemore and K. Knafl, “The integrative review: updated methodology,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 546–553, 2005.
- J. Moschandreas and A. Kafatos, “Food and nutrient intakes of Greek (Cretan) adults. Recent data for food-based dietary guidelines in Greece,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 81, supplement 2, pp. S71–S76, 1999.
- R. Clarke, M. Shipley, J. Armitage, R. Collins, and W. Harris, “Plasma phospholipid fatty acids and CHD in older men: whitehall study of London civil servants,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 279–284, 2009.
- J. Salas-Salvadó, A. Garcia-Arellano, R. Estruch et al., “Components of the mediterranean-type food pattern and serum inflammatory markers among patients at high risk for cardiovascular disease,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 651–659, 2008.
- T. T. Fung, F. B. Hu, M. A. Pereira et al., “Whole-grain intake and the risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective study in men,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 535–540, 2002.
- E. Lopez-Garcia, M. B. Schulze, J. E. Manson et al., “Consumption of (n-3) fatty acids is related to plasma biomarkers of inflammation and endothelial activation in women,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 134, no. 7, pp. 1806–1811, 2004.
- American Diabetes Association, “Implications of the United Kingdom prospective siabetes study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 25, pp. S28–S32, 2002.
- Y. Ma, J. R. Hébert, W. Li et al., “Association between dietary fiber and markers of systemic inflammation in the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study,” Nutrition, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 941–949, 2008.
- S. Liu, M. J. Stampfer, F. B. Hu et al., “Whole-grain consumption and risk of coronary heart disease: results from the Nurses' Health Study,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 412–419, 1999.
- B. Parker, M. Noakes, N. Luscombe, and P. Clifton, “Effect of a high-protein, high-monounsaturated fat weight loss diet on glycemic control and lipid levels in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 425–430, 2002.
- M. S. Song and H. S. Kim, “Intensive management program to improve glycosylated hemoglobin levels and adherence to diet in patients with type 2 diabetes,” Applied Nursing Research, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 42–47, 2009.
- F. Visioli, A. Poli, D. Richard, and R. Paoletti, “Modulation of inflammation by nutritional interventions,” Current Atherosclerosis Reports, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 451–453, 2008.
- K. F. Schulz, D. G. Altman, and D. Moher, “CONSORT, 2010 Statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 63, pp. 813–814, 2010.
- D. S. West, T. Elaine Prewitt, Z. Bursac, and H. C. Felix, “Weight loss of black, white, and Hispanic men and women in the diabetes prevention program,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1413–1420, 2008.
- M. González-Castejón and A. Rodriguez-Casado, “Dietary phytochemicals and their potential effects on obesity: a review,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 64, pp. 438–455, 2011.