- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 519563, 10 pages
Inhibition of Glutathione and Thioredoxin Metabolism Enhances Sensitivity to Perifosine in Head and Neck Cancer Cells
Free Radical and Radiation Biology Program, Department of Radiation Oncology, Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Received 2 March 2009; Accepted 17 June 2009
Academic Editor: Paul Harari
Copyright © 2009 Andrean L. Simons et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [22 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Lei Fu, Yi-Dan Lin, Heath A. Elrod, Ping Yue, Youtake Oh, Bo Li, Hui Tao, Georgia Z. Chen, Dong M. Shin, Fadlo R. Khuri, and Shi-Yong Sun, “c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase-dependent upregulation of DR5 mediates cooperative induction of apoptosis by perifosine and TRAIL,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 9, 2010.
- Su-Jung Kim, Hyun-Joo Jung, and Chang-Jin Lim, “Disruption of redox homeostasis and induction of apoptosis by suppression of glutathione synthetase expression in a mammalian cell line,” Free Radical Research, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 1040–1051, 2011.
- Sarah E. Bohndiek, Mikko I. Kettunen, De-en Hu, Brett W. C. Kennedy, Joan Boren, Ferdia A. Gallagher, and Kevin M. Brindle, “Hyperpolarized [1-C-13]-Ascorbic and Dehydroascorbic Acid: Vitamin C as a Probe for Imaging Redox Status in Vivo,” Journal Of The American Chemical Society, vol. 133, no. 30, pp. 11795–11801, 2011.
- Kevin P. Orcutt, Arlene D. Parsons, Zita A. Sibenaller, Peter M. Scarbrough, Yueming Zhu, Arya Sobhakumari, Werner W. Wilke, Amanda L. Kalen, Prabhat Goswami, Francis J. Miller, Douglas R. Spitz, and Andrean L. Simons, “Erlotinib-Mediated Inhibition of EGFR Signaling Induces Metabolic Oxidative Stress through NOX4,” Cancer Research, vol. 71, no. 11, pp. 3932–3940, 2011.
- Xiaoliang Liu, David Y. Zhang, Wiley Zhang, Xin Zhao, Changji Yuan, and Fei Ye, “The effect of green tea extract and EGCG on the signaling network in squamous cell carcinoma,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 466–475, 2011.
- B. A. Carlson, M.-H. Yoo, R. Tobe, C. Mueller, S. Naranjo-Suarez, V. J. Hoffmann, V. N. Gladyshev, and D. L. Hatfield, “Thioredoxin reductase 1 protects against chemically induced hepatocarcinogenesis via control of cellular redox homeostasis,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1806–1813, 2012.
- Andreas E. Albers, Chao Chen, Beate Koeberle, Xu Qian, Jens P. Klussmann, Barbara Wollenberg, and Andreas M. Kaufmann, “Stem cells in squamous head and neck cancer,” Critical Reviews in Oncology Hematology, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 224–240, 2012.
- Arya Sobhakumari, Laurie Love-Homan, Elise V. M. Fletcher, Sean M. Martin, Arlene D. Parsons, Douglas R. Spitz, C. Michael Knudson, and Andrean L. Simons, “Susceptibility of Human Head and Neck Cancer Cells to Combined Inhibition of Glutathione and Thioredoxin Metabolism,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 10, 2012.
- Peter M. Scarbrough, Kranti A. Mapuskar, David M. Mattson, David Gius, Walter H. Watson, and Douglas R. Spitz, “Simultaneous inhibition of glutathione- and thioredoxin-dependent metabolism is necessary to potentiate 17AAG-induced cancer cell killing via oxidative stress,” Free Radical Biology And Medicine, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 436–443, 2012.
- Peter C. Jones, “Does a “thiol shield” protect tumors from natural IgM antibody, and, if so, how can it be suppressed?,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 425–430, 2013.
- Lisi Yuan, Alicia K. Dietrich, and Ann M. Nardulli, “17β-Estradiol Alters Oxidative Stress Response Protein Expression and Oxidative Damage in the Uterus,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 2013.
- Maohu Yu, Shiguo Xu, Linlin Xiao, Qiyi Yi, Wensen Jin, and Juan Wang, “Radiosensitizing effect of oleanolic acid on tumor cells through the inhibition of GSH synthesis in vitro,” Oncology Reports, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 917–924, 2013.
- Rongxin Qi, Wenwen Jin, Juan Wang, Qiyi Yi, Maohu Yu, Shiguo Xu, and Wensen Jin, “Oleanolic acid enhances the radiosensitivity of tumor cells under mimetic hypoxia through the reduction in intracellular GSH content and HIF-1 alpha expression,” Oncology Reports, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 2399–2406, 2014.
- Ling Li, Melissa A. Fath, Peter M. Scarbrough, Walter H. Watson, and Douglas R. Spitz, “Combined inhibition of glycolysis, the pentose cycle, and thioredoxin metabolism selectively increases cytotoxicity and oxidative stress in human breast and prostate cancer,” Redox Biology, 2014.
- Zhiguo Qu, Shengnan Guo, Guojun Fang, Zhenghong Cui, and Ying Liu, “AKT Pathway Affects Bone Regeneration in Nonunion Treated with Umbilical Cord-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2014.
- Vlad C. Sandulache, Yunyun Chen, Jaehyuk Lee, Ashley Rubinstein, Marc S. Ramirez, Heath D. Skinner, Christopher M. Walker, Michelle D. Williams, Ramesh Tailor, Laurence E. Court, James A. Bankson, and Stephen Y. Lai, “Evaluation of Hyperpolarized [1-C-13]-Pyruvate by Magnetic Resonance to Detect Ionizing Radiation Effects in Real Time,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 1, 2014.
- Jennifer E. Hrabe, Brianne R. O’Leary, Melissa A. Fath, Samuel N. Rodman, Anna M. Button, Frederick E. Domann, Douglas R. Spitz, and James J. Mezhir, “Disruption of thioredoxin metabolism enhances the toxicity of transforming growth factor β-activated kinase 1 (TAK1) inhibition in KRAS-mutated colon cancer cells,” Redox Biology, 2015.
- Jade Mims, Nidhi Bansal, Manish S. Bharadwaj, Xiaofei Chen, Anthony J. Molina, Allen W. Tsang, and Cristina M. Furdui, “Energy Metabolism in a Matched Model of Radiation Resistance for Head and Neck Squamous Cell Cancer,” Radiation Research, vol. 183, no. 3, pp. 291–304, 2015.
- Moran Benhar, Iart Luca Shytaj, Jonathan S. Stamler, and Andrea Savarino, “Dual targeting of the thioredoxin and glutathione systems in cancer and HIV,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 126, no. 5, pp. 1630–1639, 2016.
- Jong-Lyel Roh, Hye Jin Jang, Eun Hye Kim, and Daiha Shin, “Targeting of the Glutathione, Thioredoxin, and Nrf2 Antioxidant Systems in Head and Neck Cancer,” Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, 2016.
- Emily Yun-Chia Chang, Yi-Cheng Chang, Chia-Tung Shun, Yu-Wen Tien, Shu-Huei Tsai, Siow-Wey Hee, Ing-Jung Chen, and Lee-Ming Chuang, “Inhibition of Prostaglandin Reductase 2, a Putative Oncogene Overexpressed in Human Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma, Induces Oxidative Stress-Mediated Cell ,” Plos One, vol. 11, no. 1, 2016.
- Daniela Massihnia, Amir Avan, Niccola Funel, Mina Maftouh, Anne van Krieken, Carlotta Granchi, Rajiv Raktoe, Ugo Boggi, Babette Aicher, Filippo Minutolo, Antonio Russo, Leticia G. Leon, Godefridus J. Peters, and Elisa Giovannetti, “Phospho-Akt overexpression is prognostic and can be used to tailor the synergistic interaction of Akt inhibitors with gemcitabine in pancreatic cancer,” Journal of Hematology & Oncology, vol. 10, no. 1, 2017.