- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 693458, 7 pages
Estimation of Cachexia among Cancer Patients Based on Four Definitions
1Strategic Healthcare Solutions, LLC, P.O. Box 543, Monkton, MD 21111, USA
2College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
3Amgen Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Received 12 February 2009; Accepted 2 May 2009
Academic Editor: David Ball
Copyright © 2009 Kathleen M. Fox et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [41 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Kate T. Murphy, and Gordon S. Lynch, “Update on emerging drugs for cancer cachexia,” Expert Opinion on Emerging Drugs, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 619–632, 2009.
- Kartik T. Nakhate, Dadasaheb M. Kokare, Praful S. Singru, Amit G. Taksande, Swati D. Kotwal, and Nishikant K. Subhedar, “Hypothalamic cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript peptide is reduced and fails to modulate feeding behavior in rats with chemically-induced mammary carcinogenesis,” Pharmacology Biochemistry And Behavior, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 340–349, 2010.
- Lizzia Raffaghello, Fernando Safdie, Giovanna Bianchi, Tanya Dorff, Luigi Fontana, and Valter D. Longo, “Fasting and differential chemotherapy protection in patients,” Cell Cycle, vol. 9, no. 22, pp. 4474–4476, 2010.
- Albert Tuca Rodriguez, Agnes Calsina-Berna, Jesus Gonzalez-Barboteo, and Xavier Gomez-Batiste Alentorn, “Cancer cachexia,” Medicina Clinica, vol. 135, no. 12, pp. 568–572, 2010.
- Mary E. Platek, Johann V. Popp, Candi S. Possinger, Carol A. DeNysschen, Peter Horvath, and Jean K. Brown, “Comparison of the Prevalence of Malnutrition Diagnosis in Head and Neck, Gastrointestinal, and Lung Cancer Patients by 3 Classification Methods,” Cancer Nursing, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 410–416, 2011.
- A.V. Khamoui, and J.S. Kim, “Candidate mechanisms underlying effects of contractile activity on muscle morphology and energetics in cancer cachexia,” European Journal of Cancer Care, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 143–157, 2011.
- C. Lee, and V. D. Longo, “Fasting vs dietary restriction in cellular protection and cancer treatment: from model organisms to patients,” Oncogene, vol. 30, no. 30, pp. 3305–3316, 2011.
- Martin A. Cheever, and Celestia S. Higano, “PROVENGE (Sipuleucel-T) in Prostate Cancer: The First FDA-Approved Therapeutic Cancer Vaccine,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 3520–3526, 2011.
- Kenneth Fearon, Florian Strasser, Stefan D Anker, Ingvar Bosaeus, Eduardo Bruera, Robin L Fainsinger, Aminah Jatoi, Charles Loprinzi, Neil MacDonald, Giovanni Mantovani, Mellar Davis, Maurizio Muscaritoli, Faith Ottery, Lukas Radbruch, Paula Ravasco, Declan Walsh, Andrew Wilcock, Stein Kaasa, and Vickie E Baracos, “Definition and classification of cancer cachexia: an international consensus,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 489–495, 2011.
- Vickie E. Baracos, Kenneth Fearon, Florian Strasser, Stefan D. Anker, Ingvar Bosaeus, Eduardo Bruera, Robin L. Fainsinger, Aminah Jatoi, Charles Loprinzi, Neil MacDonald, Giovanni Mantovani, Mellar Davis, Maurizio Muscaritoli, Faith Ottery, Lukas Radbruch, Paula Ravasco, Declan Walsh, Andrew Wilcock, and Stein Kaasa, “Definition and classification of cancer cachexia: an international consensus,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 489–495, 2011.
- Vickie E. Baracos, “Pitfalls in defining and quantifying cachexia,” Journal Of Cachexia Sarcopenia And Muscle, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 71–73, 2011.
- Claire L. Donohoe, Aoife M. Ryan, and John V. Reynolds, “Cancer Cachexia: Mechanisms and Clinical Implications,” Gastroenterology Research and Practice, vol. 2011, pp. 1–13, 2011.
- Zoe Giannousi, Ioannis Gioulbasanis, Athanasios G. Pallis, Alexandros Xyrafas, Danai Dalliani, Kostas Kalbakis, Vassilis Papadopoulos, Dimitris Mavroudis, Vassilis Georgoulias, and Christos N. Papandreou, “Nutritional status, acute phase response and depression in metastatic lung cancer patients: correlations and association prognosis,” Supportive Care In Cancer, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1823–1829, 2012.
- Benjamin H. L. Tan, Torill Fladvad, Theodore P. Braun, Antonio Vigano, Florian Strasser, D. A. Christopher Deans, Richard J. E. Skipworth, Tora S. Solheim, Sambasivarao Damaraju, James A. Ross, Stein Kaasa, Daniel L. Marks, Vickie E. Baracos, Frank Skorpen, and Kenneth C. H. Fearon, “P-selectin genotype is associated with the development of cancer cachexia,” EMBO Molecular Medicine, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 462–471, 2012.
- Lisa K. Sprod, Supriya G. Mohile, Wendy Demark-Wahnefried, Michelle C. Janelsins, Luke J. Peppone, Gary R. Morrow, Raymond Lord, Howard Gross, and Karen M. Mustian, “Exercise and cancer treatment symptoms in 408 newly diagnosed older cancer patients,” Journal Of Geriatric Oncology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 90–97, 2012.
- Sam Porter, Claire Millar, and Joanne Reid, “Cancer cachexia care: The contribution of qualitative research to evidence-based practice,” Cancer Nursing, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. E30–E38, 2012.
- V. J. Hernandez, J. Weng, P. Ly, S. Pompey, H. Dong, L. Mishra, M. Schwarz, R. G. Anderson, and P. Michaely, “Cavin-3 dictates the balance between ERK and Akt signaling,” eLife, vol. 2, no. 0, pp. e00905–e00905, 2013.
- Mridula Sharma, Ravi Kambadur, Sandhya Sriram, Sudarsanareddy Lokireddy, and Craig D. McFarlane, “Molecular Targets of Cancer Cachexia: Opportunities for Pharmanutritional Approaches,” PharmaNutrition, 2013.
- Ola Wallengren, Kent Lundholm, and Ingvar Bosaeus, “Diagnostic criteria of cancer cachexia: relation to quality of life, exercise capacity and survival in unselected palliative care patients,” Supportive Care In Cancer, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1569–1577, 2013.
- Barbara S. van der Meij, Coline P. Schoonbeek, Egbert F. Smit, Maurizio Muscaritoli, Paul A. M. van Leeuwen, and Jacqueline A. E. Langius, “Pre-cachexia and cachexia at diagnosis of stage III non-small-cell lung carcinoma: an exploratory study comparing two consensus-based frameworks,” British Journal Of Nutrition, vol. 109, no. 12, pp. 2231–2239, 2013.
- Anthony M. Villani, Michelle D. Miller, Ian D. Cameron, Susan Kurrle, Craig Whitehead, and Maria Crotty, “Development and relative validity of a new field instrument for detection of geriatric cachexia: preliminary analysis in hip fracture patients,” Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle, 2013.
- Adrian S Dobs, Ralph V Boccia, Christopher C Croot, Nashat Y Gabrail, James T Dalton, Michael L Hancock, Mary A Johnston, and Mitchell S Steiner, “Effects of enobosarm on muscle wasting and physical function in patients with cancer: a double-blind, randomised controlled phase 2 trial,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 335–345, 2013.
- Adam Brown, Ruth England, Jennifer St-John, Victoria Taylor, Cathann Manderson, Vanessa Halliday, and Andrew Wilcock, “The liking and preferences of people with thoracic cancer for oral nutritional supplement drinks,” e-SPEN Journal, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. e55–e58, 2013.
- Colin E. Champ, Mark V. Mishra, Timothy N. Showalter, Nitin Ohri, Adam P. Dicker, and Nicole L. Simone, “Dietary Recommendations During and After Cancer Treatment: Consistently Inconsistent?,” Nutrition And Cancer-An International Journal, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 430–439, 2013.
- Colin E. Champ, Renato Baserga, Mark V. Mishra, Lianjin Jin, Federica Sotgia, Michael P. Lisanti, Richard G. Pestell, Adam P. Dicker, and Nicole L. Simone, “Nutrient Restriction and Radiation Therapy for Cancer Treatment: When Less Is More,” Oncologist, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 97–103, 2013.
- Zhi-Hao Lu, Li Yang, Jing-Wei Yu, Ming Lu, Jian Li, Jun Zhou, Xi-Cheng Wang, Ji-Fang Gong, Jing Gao, Xiao-Tian Zhang, Jie Li, Yan Li, and Lin Shen, “Weight Loss Correlates with Macrophage Inhibitory Cytokine-1 Expression and Might Influence Outcome in Patients with Advanced Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 15, no. 15, pp. 6047–6052, 2014.
- Xavier Escoté, and Lluis Fajas, “Metabolic adaptation to cancer growth: From the cell to the organism,” Cancer Letters, 2014.
- Zhihao Lu, Li Yang, Jingwei Yu, Ming Lu, Xiaotian Zhang, Jian Li, Jun Zhou, Xicheng Wang, Jifang Gong, Jing Gao, Jie Li, Yan Li, and Lin Shen, “Change of Body Weight and Macrophage Inhibitory Cytokine-1 during Chemotherapy in Advanced Gastric Cancer: What Is Their Clinical Significance?,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 2, 2014.
- Dana Aline Perez Camargo, Silvia R. Allende Perez, Abelardo Meneses Garcia, Luigina De Nicola Delfin, Erika Thalia Copca Mendoza, Miriam S. Sanchez Lopez, Martha Karen Flores Garcia, and Emma Verastegui Aviles, “Anorexia-Cachexia Frequency And Its Gastrointestinal Symptoms Association In Paliative Patients At The Instituto Nacional De Cancerologia, Mexico,” Nutricion Hospitalaria, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 891–895, 2014.
- Elvio G. Russi, Judith E. Raber-Durlacher, and Stephen T. Sonis, “Local and Systemic Pathogenesis and Consequences of Regimen-Induced Inflammatory Responses in Patients with Head and Neck Cancer Receiving Chemoradiation,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2014, pp. 1–14, 2014.
- Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie, “Losartan: A new treatment for cardiac cachexia?,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 86, pp. 12–13, 2015.
- Lei Sun, Xiao-Qing Quan, and Shiying Yu, “An Epidemiological Survey of Cachexia in Advanced Cancer Patients and Analysis on Its Diagnostic and Treatment Status,” Nutrition and Cancer, pp. 1–7, 2015.
- David L Waning, and Theresa A Guise, “Cancer-associated muscle weakness: What's bone got to do with it?,” BoneKEy Reports, vol. 4, pp. 691, 2015.
- Nima Wesseltoft-Rao, Marianne J. Hjermstad, Tone Ikdahl, Olav Dajani, Stine M. Ulven, Per Ole Iversen, and Asta Bye, “Comparing Two Classifications of Cancer Cachexia and Their Association with Survival in Patients with Unresected Pancreatic Cancer,” Nutrition and Cancer, pp. 1–9, 2015.
- Yuko Iwata, Nobuyuki Suzuki, Hitomi Ohtake, Shinya Kamauchi, Naohiro Hashimoto, Tohru Kiyono, and Shigeo Wakabayashi, “Cancer cachexia causes skeletal muscle damage via transient receptor potential vanilloid 2-independent mechanisms, unlike muscular dystrophy,” Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle, 2015.
- Fatemeh Hendijani, “Human mesenchymal stromal cell therapy for prevention and recovery of chemo/radiotherapy adverse reactions,” Cytotherapy, 2015.
- Derek J. Rosario, Rosa Greasley, and Liam Bourke, “Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer: Preservation of Quality of Life and Well-being,” European Urology Focus, 2016.
- Susan T. Arthur, Bryce A. Van Doren, Debosree Roy, Joshua M. Noone, Emily Zacherle, and Christopher M. Blanchette, “Cachexia among US cancer patients,” Journal of Medical Economics, pp. 1–7, 2016.
- Kate T. Murphy, “The pathogenesis and treatment of cardiac atrophy in cancer cachexia,” American Journal Of Physiology-Heart And Circulatory Physiology, vol. 310, no. 4, pp. H466–H477, 2016.
- Han Hong Lee, “Postoperative Nutritional Support for Gastrectomized Patients,” Surgical Metabolism and Nutrition, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 25–28, 2016.
- Sarah J. Peterson, and Marisa Mozer, “Differentiating Sarcopenia and Cachexia Among Patients With Cancer,” Nutrition in Clinical Practice, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 30–39, 2017.