- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 254801, 9 pages
Fatty Acids in Habitual Diet, Plasma Phospholipids, and Tumour and Normal Colonic Biopsies in Young Colorectal Cancer Patients
1Research Centre, Akershus University Hospital, P.O. Box 95, 1478 Lørenskog, Norway
2Cancer Registry of Norway, P.O. Box 5313, Majorstuen, 0304 Oslo, Norway
3Section of Gastroenterology, Department of Organ Transplantation, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, 0027 Oslo, Norway
4Institute of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Ahus Campus, 1474 Nordbyhagen, Norway
5Department of Health, Nutrition, and Management, Faculty of Health Sciences, Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences, P.O. Box 4, St. Olavs Plass, 0130 Oslo, Norway
6Institute of Chemistry, Biotechnology, and Food Science, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, P.O. Box 5003, 1432 Aas, Norway
Received 12 September 2012; Accepted 27 November 2012
Academic Editor: Anne-Kathrin Illner
Copyright © 2012 Paula Berstad et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Nkondjock, B. Shatenstein, P. Maisonneuve, and P. Ghadirian, “Specific fatty acids and human colorectal cancer: an overview,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 55–66, 2003.
- I. Kato, A. P. Majumdar, S. J. Land, J. S. Barnholtz-Sloan, and R. K. Severson, “Dietary fatty acids, luminal modifiers, and risk of colorectal cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 942–951, 2010.
- S. Kim, D. P. Sandler, J. Galanko, C. Martin, and R. S. Sandler, “Intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids and distal large bowel cancer risk in whites and African Americans,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 171, no. 9, pp. 969–979, 2010.
- E. Theodoratou, G. McNeill, R. Cetnarskyj et al., “Dietary fatty acids and colorectal cancer: a case-control study,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 166, no. 2, pp. 181–195, 2007.
- H. J. Murff, X. O. Shu, H. Li et al., “A prospective study of dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and colorectal cancer risk in Chinese women,” Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 2283–2291, 2009.
- L. M. Butler, R. Wang, W. P. Koh, M. C. Stern, J. M. Yuan, and M. C. Yu, “Marine n-3 and saturated fatty acids in relation to risk of colorectal cancer in Singapore Chinese: a prospective study,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 678–686, 2009.
- C. R. Daniel, M. L. McCullough, R. C. Patel et al., “Dietary intake of ω-6 and ω-3 fatty acids and risk of colorectal cancer in a prospective cohort of U.S. men and women,” Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 516–525, 2009.
- A. Geelen, J. M. Schouten, C. Kamphuis et al., “Fish consumption, n-3 fatty acids, and colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 166, no. 10, pp. 1116–1125, 2007.
- M. Kojima, K. Wakai, S. Tokudome et al., “Serum levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids and risk of colorectal cancer: a prospective study,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 161, no. 5, pp. 462–471, 2005.
- K. Kuriki, K. Wakai, K. Hirose et al., “Risk of colorectal cancer is linked to erythrocyte compositions of fatty acids as biomarkers for dietary intakes of fish, fat, and fatty acids,” Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1791–1798, 2006.
- G. K. Pot, A. Geelen, E. M. van Heijningen, C. L. E. Siezen, H. J. van Kranen, and E. Kampman, “Opposing associations of serum n-3 and n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids with colorectal adenoma risk: an endoscopy-based case-control study,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 123, no. 8, pp. 1974–1977, 2008.
- L. Baro, J. C. Hermoso, M. C. Nunez, J. A. Jimenez-Rios, and A. Gil, “Abnormalities in plasma and red blood cell fatty acid profiles of patients with colorectal cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1978–1983, 1998.
- F. Fernández-Bañares, M. Esteve, E. Navarro et al., “Changes of the mucosal n3 and n6 fatty acid status occur early in the colorectal adenoma-carcinoma sequence,” Gut, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 254–259, 1996.
- J. P. Neoptolemos, D. Husband, C. Imray, S. Rowley, and N. Lawson, “Arachidonic acid and docosahexaenoic acid are increased in human colorectal cancer,” Gut, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 278–281, 1991.
- K. Hemminki, I. Santi, M. Weires, H. Thomsen, J. Sundquist, and J. L. Bermejo, “Tumor location and patient characteristics of colon and rectal adenocarcinomas in relation to survival and TNM classes,” BMC Cancer, vol. 10, article 688, 2010.
- K. Almendingen, A. T. Høstmark, O. Fausa, A. Mosdøl, L. Aabakken, and M. H. Vatn, “Familial adenomatous polyposis patients have high levels of arachidonic acid and docosahexaenoic acid and low levels of linoleic acid and α-linolenic acid in serum phospholipids,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 632–637, 2007.
- R. Ghadimi, K. Kuriki, S. Tsuge et al., “Serum concentrations of fatty acids and colorectal adenoma risk: a case-control study in Japan,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 111–118, 2008.
- L. F. Andersen, M. B. Veierød, L. Johansson, A. Sakhi, K. Solvoll, and C. A. Drevon, “Evaluation of three dietary assessment methods and serum biomarkers as measures of fruit and vegetable intake, using the method of triads,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 519–527, 2005.
- K. Almendingen, O. Fausa, A. T. Høstmark et al., “Serum nutrients and habitual dietary intake in colectomized FAP patients in Norway,” European Journal of Nutrition, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 129–136, 2009.
- W. Becker, J. Alexander, S. Andersen et al., “Nordic nutrition recommendations,” Ugeskrift for Læger, vol. 168, no. 1, pp. 76–77, 2006.
- A. M. Hodge, J. A. Simpson, R. A. Gibson et al., “Plasma phospholipid fatty acid composition as a biomarker of habitual dietary fat intake in an ethnically diverse cohort,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 415–426, 2007.
- A. C. M. Thiebaut, M. Rotival, E. Gauthier et al., “Correlation between serum phospholipid fatty acids and dietary intakes assessed a few years earlier,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 500–509, 2009.
- M. L. Nicholson, J. P. Neoptolemos, H. A. Clayton, I. C. Talbot, and P. R. F. Bell, “Increased cell membrane arachidonic acid in experimental colorectal tumours,” Gut, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 413–418, 1991.
- M. Oraldi, A. Trombetta, F. Biasi, R. A. Canuto, M. Maggiora, and G. Muzio, “Decreased polyunsaturated fatty acid content contributes to increased survival in human colon cancer,” Journal of Oncology, vol. 2009, Article ID 867915, 9 pages, 2009.
- A. J. Cockbain, G. J. Toogood, and M. A. Hull, “Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids for the treatment and prevention of colorectal cancer,” Gut, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 135–149, 2011.
- H. J. Murff, M. J. Shrubsole, Q. Y. Cai, et al., “Dietary intake of PUFAs and colorectal polyp risk,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 703–712, 2012.
- L. Kenar, T. Karayilanoglu, A. Aydin, M. Serdar, S. Kose, and M. K. Erbil, “Protective effects of diets supplemented with omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and calcium against colorectal tumor formation,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 2177–2182, 2008.
- P. Habbel, K. H. Weylandt, K. Lichopoj et al., “Docosahexaenoic acid suppresses arachidonic acid-induced proliferation of LS-174T human colon carcinoma cells,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1079–1084, 2009.
- D. Bagga, L. Wang, R. Farias-Eisner, J. A. Glaspy, and S. T. Reddy, “Differential effects of prostaglandin derived from ω-6 and ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on COX-2 expression and IL-6 secretion,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 1751–1756, 2003.
- G. Calviello, F. Di Nicuolo, S. Gragnoli et al., “n-3 PUFAs reduce VEGF expression in human colon cancer cells modulating the COX-2/PGE2 induced ERK-1 and -2 and HIF-1α induction pathway,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2303–2310, 2004.
- V. Fradet, L. Cheng, G. Casey, and J. S. Witte, “Dietary omega-3 fatty acids, cyclooxygenase-2 genetic variation, and aggressive prostate cancer risk,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 2559–2566, 2009.
- B. S. van der Meij, J. A. E. Langius, E. F. Smit et al., “Oral nutritional supplements containing (n-3) polyunsaturated fatty acids affect the nutritional status of patients with stage III non-small cell lung cancer during multimodality treatment,” The Journal of Nutrition, vol. 140, no. 10, pp. 1774–1780, 2010.
- I. Akedo, H. Ishikawa, T. Nakamura et al., “Three cases with familial adenomatous polyposis diagnosed as having malignant lesions in the course of a long-term trial using docosahexanoic acid (DHA)-concentrated fish oil capsules,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 762–765, 1998.
- O. Johansen, I. Seljeflot, A. T. Høstmark, and H. Arnesen, “The effect of supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids on soluble markers of endothelial function in patients with coronary heart disease,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1681–1686, 1999.
- I. Seljeflot, H. Arnesen, I. R. Brude, M. S. Nenseter, C. A. Drevon, and I. Hjermann, “Effects of omega-3 fatty acids and/or antioxidants on endothelial cell markers,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 629–635, 1998.
- P. Ferroni, M. Roselli, F. Martini et al., “Prognostic value of soluble P-selectin levels in colorectal cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 404–408, 2004.
- L. Holubec Jr., O. Topolcan, J. Finek et al., “Markers of cellular adhesion in diagnosis and therapy control of colorectal carcinoma,” Anticancer Research, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 1597–1601, 2005.
- M. Roselli, F. Guadagni, F. Martini et al., “Association between serum carcinoembryonic antigen and endothelial cell adhesion molecules in colorectal cancer,” Oncology, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 132–138, 2003.
- K. Almendingen, B. Hofstad, and M. H. Vatn, “Does high body fatness increase the risk of presence and growth of colorectal adenomas followed up in situ for 3 years?” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 7, pp. 2238–2246, 2001.