- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 509038, 9 pages
The Use of Garcinia Extract (Hydroxycitric Acid) as a Weight loss Supplement: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomised Clinical Trials
Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter, Devon EX2 4NT, UK
Received 13 May 2010; Revised 13 July 2010; Accepted 22 October 2010
Academic Editor: S. B. Heymsfield
Copyright © 2011 Igho Onakpoya et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Farhat, R. J. Iannotti, and B. G. Simons-Morton, “Overweight, obesity, youth and health-risk behaviours,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 258–267, 2010.
- C. Roongpisuthipong, R. Kantawan, and W. Roongpisuthipong, “Reduction of adipose tissue and body weight: effect of water soluble calcium hydroxycitrate in Garcinia atroviridis on the short term treatment of obese women in Thailand,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 25–29, 2007.
- B. W. Downs, M. Bagchi, G. V. Subbaraju, M. A. Shara, H. G. Preuss, and D. Bagchi, “Bioefficacy of a novel calcium-potassium salt of (-)-hydroxycitric acid,” Mutation Research, vol. 579, no. 1-2, pp. 149–162, 2005.
- K. Hayamizu, Y. Ishii, I. Kaneko et al., “Effects of Garcinia cambogia (Hydroxycitric Acid) on visceral fat accumulation: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial,” Current Therapeutic Research, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 551–567, 2003.
- R. D. Mattes and L. Bormann, “Effects of (-)-hydroxycitric acid on appetitive variables,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 71, no. 1-2, pp. 87–94, 2000.
- H. G. Preuss, D. Bagchi, M. Bagchi, C. V. S. Rao, S. Satyanarayana, and D. K. Dey, “Efficacy of a novel, natural extract of (-)-hydroxycitric acid (HCA-SX) and a combination of HCA-SX, niacin-bound chromium and Gymnema sylvestre extract in weight management in human volunteers: a pilot study,” Nutrition Research, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 45–58, 2004.
- E. Toromanyan, G. Aslanyan, E. Amroyan, E. Gabrielyan, and A. Panossian, “Efficacy of Slim339 in reducing body weight of overweight and obese human subjects,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 1177–1181, 2007.
- T. Yamada, H. Hida, and Y. Yamada, “Chemistry, physiological properties, and microbial production of hydroxycitric acid,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 977–982, 2007.
- M. Leonhardt, B. Hrupka, and W. Langhans, “Effect of hydroxycitrate on food intake and body weight regain after a period of restrictive feeding in male rats,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 74, no. 1-2, pp. 191–196, 2001.
- D. Moher, K. F. Schulz, D. G. Altman, and L. Lepage, “The CONSORT statement: revised recommendations for improving the quality of reports of parallel-group randomised trials,” Lancet, vol. 357, no. 9263, pp. 1191–1194, 2001.
- D. G. Altman, K. F. Schulz, D. Moher et al., “The revised CONSORT statement for reporting randomized trials: explanation and elaboration,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 134, no. 8, pp. 663–694, 2001.
- A. R. Jadad, R. A. Moore, D. Carroll et al., “Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary?” Controlled Clinical Trials, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1996.
- Review Manager (RevMan), [Computer Program]. Version 5.0. Copenhagen: The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration, 2008.
- A. A. Conte, “A non-prescription alternative in weight reduction therapy,” American Journal of Bariatric Medicine Summer, pp. 17–19, 1993.
- M. Girola, M. De Bernardi, and S. Contos, “Dose effect in lipid-lowering activity of a new dietary integrator (Chitosan, Garcinia cambogia extract, and Chrome),” Acta Toxicologica et Therapeutica, vol. 17, pp. 25–40, 1996.
- D. Q. Rothacker and B. E. Waitman, “Effectiveness of a Garcinia cambogia and natural caffeine combination in weight loss: a double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 12, supplement 2, p. 53, 1997.
- C. A. R. Vasques, S. Rossetto, G. Halmenschlager et al., “Evaluation of the pharmacotherapeutic efficacy of Garcinia cambogia plus amorphophallus konjac for the treatment of obesity,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1135–1140, 2008.
- Y. Yonei, Y. Takahashi, S. Hibino, M. Watanabe, and T. Yoshioka, “Effects on the human body of a dietary supplement containing L-carnitine and Garcinia cambogia extract: a study using double-blind tests,” Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 89–103, 2008.
- V. Badmaev and M. Majeed, “Open field, physician controlled, clinical evaluation of botanical weight loss formula Citrin,” in Proceedings of the Nutracon: Nutraceuticals, Dietary Supplements and Functional Foods, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, July 1995.
- M. S. Westerterp-Plantenga and E. M. R. Kovacs, “The effect of (-)-hydroxycitrate on energy intake and satiety in overweight humans,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 870–872, 2002.
- A. A. Conte, “The effects of (-)-hydroxycitrate and chromium (GTF) on obesity,” Journal of American College of Nutrition, vol. 13, p. 535, 1994.
- H. G. Preuss, R. I. Garis, J. D. Bramble et al., “Efficacy of a novel calcium/potassium salt of (-)-hydroxycitric acid in weight control,” International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology Research, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 133–144, 2005.
- E. M. R. Kovacs and M. S. Westerterp-Plantenga, “Effects of (-)-hydroxycitrate on net fat synthesis as de novo lipogenesis,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 88, no. 4-5, pp. 371–381, 2006.
- K. Hayamizu, Y. Ishii, and I. Kaneko, “Effects of long-term administration of Garcinia cambogia extract on visceral fat accummulation in humans: a placebo-controlled double blind trial,” Journal of Oleo Science, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 43–50, 2001.
- S. B. Heymsfield, D. B. Allison, J. R. Vasselli, A. Pietrobelli, D. Greenfield, and C. Nunez, “Garcinia cambogia (hydroxycitric acid) as a potential antiobesity agent: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 280, no. 18, pp. 1596–1600, 1998.
- E. M. R. Kovacs, M. S. Westerterp-Plantenga, M. De Vries, F. Brouns, and W. H. M. Saris, “Effects of 2-week ingestion of (-)-hydroxycitrate and (-)-hydroxycitrate combined with medium-chain triglycerides on satiety and food intake,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 74, no. 4-5, pp. 543–549, 2001.
- E. M. R. Kovacs, M. S. Westerterp-Plantenga, and W. H. M. Saris, “The effects of 2-week ingestion of (-)-hydroxycitrate and (-)-hydroxycitrate combined with medium-chain triglycerides on satiety, fat oxidation, energy expenditure and body weight,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1087–1094, 2001.
- H. G. Preuss, D. Bagchi, C. V. S. Rao, S. Satyanarayana, and M. Bagchi, “Effect of hydroxycitric acid on weight loss, body mass index and plasma leptin levels in human subjects,” FASEB Journal, vol. 16, no. 5, p. A1020, 2002.
- H. G. Preuss, D. Bagchi, M. Bagchi, C. V. S. Rao, D. K. Dey, and S. Satyanarayana, “Effects of a natural extract of (-)-hydroxycitric acid (HCA-SX) and a combination of HCA-SX plus niacin-bound chromium and Gymnema sylvestre extract on weight loss,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 171–180, 2004.
- R. Roman Ramos, J. Flores Saenz, and M. C. F. Alarcon Aguilar en, “Control of obesity with Garcinia cambogia extract,” Investigacion Medica Internacional, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 97–100, 1996.
- E. Thom, “Hydroxycitrate (HCA) in the treatment of obesity,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 20, no. l 4, p. 48, 1996.
- M. H. Pittler and E. Ernst, “Dietary supplements for body-weight reduction: a systematic review,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 529–536, 2004.
- D. Rucker, R. Padwal, S. K. Li, C. Curioni, and D. C. W. Lau, “Long term pharmacotherapy for obesity and overweight: updated meta-analysis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 335, no. 7631, pp. 1194–1199, 2007.
- M. G. Soni, G. A. Burdock, H. G. Preuss, S. J. Stohs, S. E. Ohia, and D. Bagchi, “Safety assessment of (-)-hydroxycitric acid and Super CitriMax, a novel calcium/potassium salt,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 1513–1529, 2004.
- “How Worrisome is the Hydroxycut Recall for the Diet Supplement Industry?” to appear in Nutrition Business Journal, 2009, http://www.nutritionbusinessjournal.com/supplements/news/0505.
- World Health Organisation, “Obesity and overweight,” Fact sheet no. 311, September 2006, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/index.html.