- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 610908, 7 pages
Safety and Efficacy of Glucomannan for Weight Loss in Overweight and Moderately Obese Adults
1Rush University College of Nursing, 600 S. Paulina Street, Suite 1080, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
2Rush University Medical Center, 1725 W. Harrison Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
3Section of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Rush University Medical Center, 1725 W. Harrison Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
4North Park University School of Nursing, 3225 W. Foster Avenue, Chicago, IL 60625, USA
5Community, Systems, and Mental Health Nursing, Rush University College of Nursing, 600 S. Paulina Street, Suite 1080, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
6Faculty Practice, Rush University College of Nursing, 600 S. Paulina Street, Suite 1080, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Received 4 September 2013; Revised 10 December 2013; Accepted 12 December 2013
Academic Editor: Jordi Salas-Salvadó
Copyright © 2013 Joyce K. Keithley et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. M. Flegal, M. D. Carroll, C. L. Ogden, and L. R. Curtin, “Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 3, pp. 235–241, 2010.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: The Evidence Report, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, >Rockville, Md, USA, 1998.
- US Department of Health and Human Services (USDHHS), The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Prevent and Decrease Overweight and Obesity 2001, Department of Health and Human Services, US Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General, Rockville, Md, USA, 2001.
- H. Shimahara, H. Suzuki, N. Sugiyama, and K. Nisizawa, “Isolation and characterization of oligosaccharides from enzymic hydrolysate of konjac glucomannan,” Agricultural and Biological Chemistry, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 293–299, 1975.
- R. Tye, “Konjac flour: properties and applications,” Food Technology, vol. 45, pp. 11–16, 1991.
- K. Doi, “Effect of konjac fibre (glucomannan) on glucose and lipids,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 49, supplement 3, pp. S190–S197, 1995.
- H. L. Chen, W. H. Sheu, T. S. Tai, Y. Liaw, and Y. Chen, “Konjac supplement alleviated hypercholesterolemia and hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetic subjects—a randomized double-blind trial,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 36–42, 2003.
- M. L. Fernandez, “Soluble fiber and nondigestible carbohydrate effects on plasma lipids and cardiovascular risk,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 2001.
- D. D. Gallaher, C. M. Gallaher, G. J. Mahrt et al., “A glucomannan and chitosan fiber supplement decreases plasma cholesterol and increases cholesterol excretion in overweight normocholesterolemic humans,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 428–433, 2002.
- S. Chearskul, W. Kriengsinyos, S. Kooptiwut et al., “Immediate and long-term effects of glucomannan on total ghrelin and leptin in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. e40–e42, 2009.
- D. J. A. Jenkins, A. L. Jenkins, T. M. S. Wolever et al., “Low glycemic index: lente carbohydrates and physiological effects of altered food frequency,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 706S–709S, 1994.
- V. Vuksan, D. J. A. Jenkins, P. Spadafora et al., “Konjac-mannan (glucomannan) improves glycemia and other associated risk factors for coronary heart disease in type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled metabolic trial,” Diabetes Care, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 913–919, 1999.
- V. Vuksan, J. L. Sievenpiper, R. Owen et al., “Beneficial effects of viscous dietary fiber from Konjac-Mannan in subjects with the insulin resistance syndrome: results of a controlled metabolic trial,” Diabetes Care, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2000.
- G. S. Birketvedt, M. Shimshi, E. Thom, and J. Florholmen, “Experiences with three different fiber supplements in weight reduction,” Medical Science Monitor, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. PI5–PI8, 2005.
- M. Cairella and G. Marchini, “Evaluation of the action of glucomannan on metabolic parameters and on the sensation of satiation in overweight and obese patients,” La Clinica terapeutica, vol. 146, no. 4, pp. 269–274, 1995.
- C. Livieri, F. Novazi, and R. Lorini, “Usefulness of highly purified glucomannan fibres in childhood obesity,” Pediatria Medica e Chirurgica, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 195–198, 1992.
- L. Vido, R. Facchin, I. Antonello, D. Gobber, and F. Rigon, “Childhood obesity treatment: double blinded trial on dietary fibres (glucomannan) versus placebo,” Padiatrie und Padologie, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 133–136, 1993.
- D. E. Walsh, V. Yaghoubian, and A. Behforooz, “Effect of glucomannan on obese patients: a clinical study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 289–293, 1984.
- R. J. Wood, M. L. Fernandez, M. J. Sharman et al., “Effects of a carbohydrate-restricted diet with and without supplemental soluble fiber on plasma low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and other clinical markers of cardiovascular risk,” Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 58–67, 2007.
- N. Sood, W. L. Baker, and C. I. Coleman, “Effect of glucomannan on plasma lipid and glucose concentrations, body weight, and blood pressure: systematic review and meta-analysis,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 1167–1175, 2008.
- R. D. Lee and D. C. Nieman, Nutritional Assessment, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 2007.
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, (Rev. 2002), Anthropometry Procedures Manual, 2008, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes_01_02/body_measures_year_3.pdf.
- A. Flint, A. Raben, J. E. Blundell, and A. Astrup, “Reproducibility, power and validity of visual analogue scales in assessment of appetite sensations in single test meal studies,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 38–48, 2000.
- M. L. Booth, “Assessment of physical activity: an international perspective,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 71, pp. s114–s120, 2000.
- G. J. Devilly and T. D. Borkovec, “Psychometric properties of the credibility/expectancy questionnaire,” Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 73–86, 2000.
- W. J. Kraemer, J. L. Vingren, R. Silvestre et al., “Effect of adding exercise to a diet containing glucomannan,” Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 1149–1158, 2007.
- L. Brown, B. Rosner, W. W. Willett, and F. M. Sacks, “Cholesterol-lowering effects of dietary fiber: a meta-analysis,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 30–42, 1999.