- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 670295, 6 pages
Youth Understanding of Healthy Eating and Obesity: A Focus Group Study
1Nutrition and Health Science Program, Graduate Division of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Laney Graduate School, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
2Section on Pediatric Diabetes and Metabolism, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive, and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
3Department of Global Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
4Department of Behavioral Science and Health Education, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
5Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
6Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Received 11 January 2013; Revised 26 June 2013; Accepted 27 June 2013
Academic Editor: Roya Kelishadi
Copyright © 2013 Allison C. Sylvetsky et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. Han, D. A. Lawlor, and S. Y. Kimm, “Childhood obesity,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9727, pp. 1737–1748, 2010.
- Y. Wang and M. A. Beydoun, “The obesity epidemic in the United States—gender, age, socioeconomic, racial/ethnic, and geographic characteristics: a systematic review and meta-regression analysis,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 6–28, 2007.
- A. S. Singh, C. Mulder, J. W. R. Twisk, W. Van Mechelen, and M. J. M. Chinapaw, “Tracking of childhood overweight into adulthood: a systematic review of the literature,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 474–488, 2008.
- F. M. Biro and M. Wien, “Childhood obesity and adult morbidities,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1499S–1505S, 2010.
- M. B. Vos, J. E. Kimmons, C. Gillespie, J. Welsh, and H. M. Blank, “Dietary fructose consumption among US children and adults: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey CME,” Medscape General Medicine, vol. 10, no. 7, article 160, 2008.
- J. M. Poti and B. M. Popkin, “Trends in Energy Intake among US Children by Eating Location and Food Source, 1977–2006,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 111, no. 8, pp. 1156–1164, 2011.
- J. A. Ello-Martin, J. H. Ledikwe, and B. J. Rolls, “The influence of food portion size and energy density on energy intake: implications for weight management,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 82, no. 1, 2005.
- M. Dehghan, N. Akhtar-Danesh, and A. T. Merchant, “Childhood obesity, prevalence and prevention,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 4, article 24, 2005.
- K. R. Sonneville, N. La Pelle, E. M. Taveras, M. W. Gillman, and L. A. Prosser, “Economic and other barriers to adopting recommendations to prevent childhood obesity: results of a focus group study with parents,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 9, article 81, 2009.
- J. M. Berge, A. Arikian, W. J. Doherty, and D. Neumark-Sztainer, “Healthful eating and physical activity in the home environment: results from multifamily focus groups,” Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 123–131, 2012.
- S. E. Barlow, “Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, pp. S164–S192, 2007.
- Silverman, Interpreting Qualitative Data, Sage Publications, 4th edition, 2011.
- Guest MaN, Applied Thematic Analysis, Sage Publications, 2012.
- S. T. Borra, L. Kelly, M. B. Shirreffs, K. Neville, and C. J. Geiger, “Developing health messages: qualitative studies with children, parents, and teachers help identify communications opportunities for healthful lifestyles and the prevention of obesity,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 721–728, 2003.
- J. Saxton, C. Hill, P. Chadwick, and J. Wardle, “Weight status and perceived body size in children,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 94, no. 12, pp. 944–949, 2009.
- B. Sherry, M. E. Jefferds, and L. M. Grummer-Strawn, “Accuracy of adolescent self-report of height and weight in assessing overweight status: a literature review,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 161, no. 12, pp. 1154–1161, 2007.
- A. Ternouth, D. Collier, and B. Maughan, “Childhood emotional problems and self-perceptions predict weight gain in a longitudinal regression model,” BMC Medicine, vol. 7, article 1741, p. 46, 2009.
- W. C. Reinhardt and P. B. Brevard, “Integrating the Food Guide Pyramid and Physical Activity Pyramid for positive dietary and physical activity behaviors in adolescents,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. S96–S99, 2002.