- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 958645, 10 pages
Trajectories of Objectively Measured Physical Activity among Secondary Students in Canada in the Context of a Province-Wide Physical Education Policy: A Longitudinal Analysis
1Public Health Ontario, 480 University Avenue, Suite 300, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1V2
2Manitoba Institute of Child Health, 513-715 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3E 3P4
3Propel Centre for Population Health Impact, University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L 3G1
Received 25 June 2013; Revised 17 September 2013; Accepted 5 October 2013; Published 20 January 2014
Academic Editor: George P. Nassis
Copyright © 2014 Erin Hobin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Roberts, M. Shields, M. de Groh, A. Aziz, and J. Gilbert, “Overweight and obesity in children and adolescents: results from the 2009 to 2011 Canadian Health Measures Survey,” Health Reports, vol. 23, no. 3, 2012, http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-003-x/2012003/article/11706-eng.pdf.
- G. D. C. Ball and L. J. McCargar, “Childhood obesity in Canada: a review of prevalence estimates and risk factors for cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes,” Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 117–140, 2003.
- P. W. Franks, R. L. Hanson, W. C. Knowler, M. L. Sievers, P. H. Bennett, and H. C. Looker, “Childhood obesity, other cardiovascular risk factors, and premature death,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 6, pp. 485–493, 2010.
- I. Janssen and A. G. LeBlanc, “Systematic review of the health benefits of physical activity and fitness in school-aged children and youth,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 7, article 40, 2010.
- R. C. Colley, D. Garriguet, I. Janssen, C. L. Craig, J. Clarke, and M. S. Tremblay, “Physical activity of canadian children and youth: accelerometer results from the 2007 to 2009 canadian health measures survey,” Health Reports, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 15–23, 2011.
- S. Y. S. Kimm, N. W. Glynn, A. M. Kriska et al., “Decline in physical activity in black girls and white girls during adolescence,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 10, pp. 709–715, 2002.
- S. Y. S. Kimm, N. W. Glynn, E. Obarzanek et al., “Relation between the changes in physical activity and body-mass index during adolescence: a Multicentre Longitudinal Study,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9482, pp. 301–307, 2005.
- M. Shields, “Overweight and obesity among children and youth,” Health Reports, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 27–42, 2006.
- K. M. Herman, C. L. Craig, L. Gauvin, and P. T. Katzmarzyk, “Tracking of obesity and physical activity from childhood to adulthood: the Physical Activity Longitudinal Study,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 281–288, 2009.
- P. T. Katzmarzyk and I. Janssen, “The economic costs associated with physical inactivity and obesity in canada: an update,” Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 90–115, 2004.
- J. F. Sallis, A. Bauman, and M. Pratt, “Environmental and policy interventions to promote physical activity,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 379–397, 1998.
- T. L. McKenzie, S. J. Marshall, J. F. Sallis, and T. L. Conway, “Leisure-time physical activity in school environments: an observational study using SOPLAY,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 70–77, 2000.
- J. O. Hill and J. C. Peters, “Environmental contributions to the obesity epidemic,” Science, vol. 280, no. 5368, pp. 1371–1374, 1998.
- S. A. French, M. Story, and R. W. Jeffery, “Environmental influences on eating and physical activity,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 22, pp. 309–335, 2001.
- K. R. McLeroy, D. Bibeau, A. Steckler, and K. Glanz, “An ecological perspective on health promotion programs,” Health Education Quarterly, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 351–377, 1988.
- J. Sallis and N. Owen, “Ecological models,” in Health Behaviour and Health Education: Theory, Research and Practice, K. Glanz, F. Lewis, and A. E. Latimer, Eds., pp. 403–424, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 1997.
- T. C. Pellmar, E. N. Brandt Jr., and M. A. Baird, “Health and behavior: the interplay of biological, behavioral, and social influences: summary of an Institute of Medicine report,” American Journal of Health Promotion, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 206–219, 2002.
- K. R. Fox, A. Cooper, and J. McKenna, “The school and promotion of children's health-enhancing physical activity: perspectives from the United Kingdom,” Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 338–358, 2004.
- P.-J. Naylor, J. Scott, J. Drummond, L. Bridgewater, H. A. McKay, and C. Panagiotopoulos, “Implementing a whole school physical activity and healthy eating model in rural and remote first nations schools: a process evaluation of action schools! BC,” Rural and Remote Health, vol. 10, no. 2, article 1296, 2010.
- J. F. Sallis, T. L. Conway, J. J. Prochaska, T. L. McKenzie, S. J. Marshall, and M. Brown, “The association of school environments with youth physical activity,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 618–620, 2001.
- G. Felton, R. P. Saunders, D. S. Ward, R. K. Dishman, M. Dowda, and R. R. Pate, “Promoting physical activity in girls: a case study of one school's success,” Journal of School Health, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 57–62, 2005.
- Implementation of grades 11 and 12 physical education/health education: a policy document [Internet]. Manitoba: manitoba Education, Citizenship and Youth, 2007, http://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/docs/policy/imp_pehe/document.pdf.
- Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories by the statistical area classification, 2006 and 2001 censuses—100% data [Internet]., 2010, http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/hlt/97-550/Index.cfm?TPL=P1C&Page=RETR&LANG=Eng&T=601&PR=46&S=0&O=D&RPP=25.
- M. Comte, E. Hobin, S. R. Majumdar, R. C. Plotnikoff, G. D. Ball, and J. McGavock, “Patterns of weekday and weekend physical activity in youth in 2 Canadian provinces,” Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 115–119, 2013.
- D. W. Esliger and M. S. Tremblay, “Physical activity and inactivity profiling: the next generation,” Canadian Journal of Public Health, vol. 98, pp. S195–S207, 2007.
- D. W. Esliger, M. S. Tremblay, J. L. Copeland, J. D. Barnes, G. E. Huntington, and D. R. Bassett, “Physical activity profile of old order amish, mennonite, and contemporary children,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 296–303, 2010.
- J. Hay, K. Maximova, A. Durksen, V. Carson, R. L. Rinaldi, B. Torrance, et al., “Physical activity intensity and cardiometabolic risk in youth,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 166, no. 11, pp. 1022–1029, 2012.
- S. L. Wong, S. T. Leatherdale, and S. Manske, “Reliability and validity of a school-based physical activity questionnaire,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 1593–1600, 2006.
- T. J. Cole, M. C. Bellizzi, K. M. Flegal, and W. H. Dietz, “Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7244, pp. 1240–1243, 2000.
- P. Gamache, R. Pampalon, and D. Hamel, Methodological Guide-the Material and Social Deprivation Index: A Summary, Institut National de Santé publique Québec, 2010.
- M. A. Carter, L. Dubois, M. S. Tremblay, M. Taljaard, and B. L. Jones, “Trajectories of childhood weight gain: the relative importance of local environment versus individual social and early life factors,” PloS ONE, vol. 7, no. 10, Article ID e47065, 2012.
- R. Stalsberg and A. V. Pedersen, “Effects of socioeconomic status on the physical activity in adolescents: a systematic review of the evidence,” Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 368–383, 2010.
- J. D. Singer and J. B. Willett, Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis: Modeling Change and Event Occurrence: Modeling Change and Event Occurrence, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- “Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology. Canadian physical activity guidelines for youth ages 12–17 years,” http://www.csep.ca/CMFiles/Guidelines/CSEP_PAGuidelines_youth_en.pdf.
- M. O. Hearst, C. D. Patnode, J. R. Sirard, K. Farbakhsh, and L. A. Lytle, “Multilevel predictors of adolescent physical activity: a longitudinal analysis,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 9, article 8, 2012.
- “Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology. Canadian physical activity guidelines for adults ages 18–64 years,” http://www.csep.ca/CMFiles/Guidelines/CSEP_PAGuidelines_youth_en.pdf.
- M. D. Hanson and E. Chen, “Socioeconomic status and health behaviors in adolescence: a review of the literature,” Journal of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 263–285, 2007.
- I. Ferreira, K. Van Der Horst, W. Wendel-Vos, S. Kremers, F. J. Van Lenthe, and J. Brug, “Environmental correlates of physical activity in youth—a review and update,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 129–154, 2007.
- F. Salonna, J. P. Van Dijk, A. M. Geckova, M. Sleskova, J. W. Groothoff, and S. A. Reijneveld, “Social inequalities in changes in health-related behaviour among Slovak adolescents aged between 15 and 19: a longitudinal study,” BMC Public Health, vol. 8, article 57, 2008.
- P. Gordon-Larsen, M. C. Nelson, P. Page, and B. M. Popkin, “Inequality in the built environment underlies key health disparities in physical activity and obesity,” Pediatrics, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 417–424, 2006.