- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 347801, 5 pages
In Vivo Comparison of 23- and 25-Gauge Sutureless Vitrectomy Incision Architecture Using Spectral Domain Optical Coherence Tomography
1Teixeira Oftalmologia, SDS Bloco D No 27, Sala 306, 70392-901 Brasília, DF, Brazil
2Department of Ophthalmology, Universidade Federal de São Paulo, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
3Department of Ophthalmology, Universidade Católica de Brasília, Brasília, DF, Brazil
4Department of Ophthalmology, Hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont, Université de Montréal, Montréal, QC, Canada
5Department of Ophthalmology, Pontifícia Universidade Católica, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
6Department of Ophthalmology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Received 19 November 2012; Accepted 30 January 2013
Academic Editor: David A. Wilkie
Copyright © 2013 Anderson Teixeira et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Y. Fujii, E. De Juan Jr., M. S. Humayun, et al., “A new 25-gauge instrument system for transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy surgery,” Ophthalmology, vol. 109, no. 10, pp. 1807–1812, 2002.
- G. Y. Fujii, E. De Juan, M. S. Humayun et al., “Initial experience using the transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy system for vitreoretinal surgery,” Ophthalmology, vol. 109, no. 10, pp. 1814–1820, 2002.
- D. Y. Kunimoto and R. S. Kaiser, “Incidence of endophthalmitis after 20- and 25-gauge vitrectomy,” Ophthalmology, vol. 114, no. 12, pp. 2133–2137, 2007.
- S. Shaikh, S. Ho, P. P. Richmond, J. C. Olson, and C. D. Barnes, “Untoward outcomes in 25-gauge versus 20-gauge vitreoretinal surgery,” Retina, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1048–1053, 2007.
- I. U. Scott, H. W. Flynn, S. Dev et al., “Endophthalmitis after 25-gauge and 20-gauge pars plana vitrectomy: incidence and outcomes,” Retina, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 138–142, 2008.
- N. Acar, Z. Kapran, Y. B. Unver, T. Altan, and S. Ozdogan, “Early postoperative hypotony after 25-gauge sutureless vitrectomy with straight incisions,” Retina, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 545–552, 2008.
- S. H. Byeon, Y. J. Lew, M. Kim, and O. W. Kwon, “Wound leakage and hypotony after 25-gauge sutureless vitrectomy: factors affecting postoperative intraocular pressure,” Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 94–99, 2008.
- O. P. Gupta, E. D. Weichel, C. D. Regillo et al., “Postoperative complications associated with 25-gauge pars plana vitrectomy,” Ophthalmic Surgery Lasers and Imaging, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 270–275, 2007.
- L. Kellner, B. Wimpissinger, U. Stolba, W. Brannath, and S. Binder, “25-Gauge vs 20-gauge system for pars plana vitrectomy: a prospective randomised clinical trial,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 91, no. 7, pp. 945–948, 2007.
- N. Acar, Z. Kapran, T. Altan, Y. B. Unver, S. Yurtsever, and Y. Kucuksumer, “Primary 25-gauge sutureless vitrectomy with oblique sclerotomies in pseudophakic retinal detachment,” Retina, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1068–1074, 2008.
- L. López-Guajardo, J. Pareja-Esteban, and M. A. Teus-Guezala, “Oblique sclerotomy technique forprevention of incompetent wound closure in transconjunctival 25-gauge vitrectomy,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 141, no. 6, pp. 1154–1156, 2006.
- M. Inoue, K. Shinoda, H. Shinoda, R. Kawamura, K. Suzuki, and S. Ishida, “Two-step oblique incision during 25-gauge vitrectomy reduces incidence of postoperative hypotony,” Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 693–696, 2007.
- H. Shimada, H. Nakashizuka, R. Mori, Y. Mizutani, and T. Hattori, “25-gauge scleral tunnel transconjunctival vitrectomy,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 142, no. 5, pp. 871–873, 2006.
- R. P. Singh, H. Bando, O. F. M. Brasil, D. R. Williams, and P. K. Kaiser, “Evaluation of wound closure using different incision techniques with 23-gauge and 25-gauge microincision vitrectomy systems,” Retina, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 242–248, 2008.
- M. Nagpal, S. Wartikar, and K. Nagpal, “Comparison of clinical outcomes and wound dynamics of sclerotomy ports of 20, 25, and 23 gauge vitrectomy,” Retina, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 225–231, 2009.
- A. Yanyali, E. Celik, F. Horozoglu, and A. F. Nohutcu, “Corneal topographic changes after transconjunctival (25-gauge) sutureless vitrectomy,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 939–941, 2005.
- C. Eckardt, “Transconjunctival sutureless 23-gauge vitrectomy,” Retina, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 208–211, 2005.
- M. N. Lott, M. H. Manning, J. Singh, H. Zhang, H. Singh, and D. M. Marcus, “23-gauge vitrectomy in 100 eyes short-term visual outcomes and complications,” Retina, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1193–1200, 2008.
- O. P. Gupta, A. C. Ho, P. K. Kaiser, et al., “Short-term outcomes of 23-gauge pars plana vitrectomy,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 146, pp. 193–197, 2008.
- B. Parolini, F. Romanelli, G. Prigione, and G. Pertile, “Incidence of endophthalmitis in a large series of 23-gauge and 20-gauge transconjunctival pars plana vitrectomy,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 247, no. 7, pp. 895–898, 2009.
- A. Teixeira, N. Allemann, A. C. N. Yamada, F. Uno, A. Maia, and P. P. Bonomo, “Ultrasound biomicroscopy in recently postoperative 23-gauge transconjunctival vitrectomy sutureless self-sealing sclerotomy,” Retina, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1305–1309, 2009.
- D. Chen, Y. Lian, L. Cui, F. Lu, Z. Ke, and Z. Song, “Sutureless vitrectomy incision architecture in the immediate postoperative period evaluated in vivo using optical coherence tomography,” Ophthalmology, vol. 117, no. 10, pp. 2003–2009, 2010.
- M. Taban, S. Sharma, A. A. C. M. Ventura, and P. K. Kaiser, “Evaluation of wound closure in oblique 23-gauge sutureless sclerotomies with visante optical coherence tomography,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 101.e1–107.e1, 2009.
- R. Guthoff, H. Riederle, B. Meinhardt, and W. Goebel, “Subclinical choroidal detachment at sclerotomy sites after 23-gauge vitrectomy: analysis by anterior segment optical coherence tomography,” Ophthalmologica, vol. 224, no. 5, pp. 301–307, 2010.
- J. C. Chen, “Sutureless pars plana vitrectomy through self-sealing sclerotomies,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 114, no. 10, pp. 1273–1275, 1996.
- A. K. H. Kwok, C. C. Y. Tham, D. S. C. Lam, M. Li, and J. C. Chen, “Modified sutureless sclerotomies in pars plana vitrectomy,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 127, no. 6, pp. 731–733, 1999.
- J. Schmidt, G. W. Nietgen, and S. Brieden, “Self-sealing, sutureless sclerotomy in pars-plana vitrectomy,” Klinische Monatsblatter fur Augenheilkunde, vol. 215, no. 4, pp. 247–251, 1999.
- T. Boker and M. Spitznas, “Ultrasound biomicroscopy for examination of the sclerotomy site after pars plana vitrectomy,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 813–815, 1994.
- R. Rahman, P. H. Rosen, C. Riddell, and H. Towler, “Self-sealing sclerotomies for sutureless pars plana vitrectomy,” Ophthalmic Surgery and Lasers, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 462–466, 2000.
- M. Taban, A. A. C. M. Ventura, S. Sharma, and P. K. Kaiser, “Dynamic evaluation of sutureless vitrectomy wounds: an optical coherence tomography and histopathology study,” Ophthalmology, vol. 115, no. 12, pp. 2221–2228, 2008.