Table of Contents Author Guidelines Submit a Manuscript
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2017, Article ID 5601786, 5 pages
https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/5601786
Clinical Study

Real-Life Management of Patients with Retinal Vein Occlusion Using I-Macula Web Platform

1Clinica Oculistica-DINOGMI, Università di Genova and Italy Ospedale Policlinico San Martino, Genoa, Italy
2Fondazione per la Macula Onlus-Genova, Genoa, Italy
3Healthropy SRL, Genoa, Italy
4DIBRIS, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy

Correspondence should be addressed to Massimo Nicolò; moc.liamg@olocinomissam

Received 26 April 2017; Accepted 28 June 2017; Published 24 July 2017

Academic Editor: Flavio Mantelli

Copyright © 2017 Massimo Nicolò et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract

Aim. Real-life evaluation in the management of patients affected by macular edema secondary to retinal vein occlusion. Material and Methods. A retrospective, observational study using the I-Macula Web platform. Results. Thirty-five patients (37 eyes; 15 females and 20 male) affected by RVO were analysed. At 12 months, there was a statistically significant improvement of best-corrected visual acuity () and central macular thickness (). The mean change in visual acuity was 8.9 letters. Twenty-seven eyes underwent DEX implant (; mean: 2.29) only. Of these, 8, 4, 14, and 1 eyes underwent 1, 2, 3, and 4 DEX implants, respectively. The remaining 10 eyes were also injected with ranibizumab (; mean: 4.9). At 12 months, 12 eyes (32.5%) presented a dry macula, whereas the remaining 25 eyes (67.5%) still had macular edema. Mean interval between the first and second treatment (T1) and between the second and third treatment (T2) were 5.15 and (T2) 3.7 months, respectively. Where only DEX implants were received, T1 and T2 was 5.1 and 4.9 months, respectively. Conclusions. This study confirms that DEX implants and/or anti-VEGF drugs improve visual acuity and central macular thickness in patients affected by RVO.