- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Parasitology Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 981424, 19 pages
Epidemiology of Enterocytozoon bieneusi Infection in Humans
1Grupo de Protozoários Oportunistas/VIH e Outros Protozoários, Unidade de Parasitologia Médica, CMDT, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 1349-008 Lisboa, Portugal
2Division of Foodborne, Waterborne and Environmental Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Received 28 February 2012; Accepted 20 May 2012
Academic Editor: C. Genchi
Copyright © 2012 Olga Matos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [44 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Md Robiul Karim, Rongjun Wang, Xiaoyi He, Longxian Zhang, Jian Li, Farzana Islam Rume, Haijv Dong, Meng Qi, Fuchun Jian, Sumei Zhang, Mingfei Sun, Guangyou Yang, Fengcai Zou, Changshen Ning, and Lihua Xiao, “Multilocus sequence typing of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in nonhuman primates in China,” Veterinary Parasitology, 2013.
- Lihua Xiao, Meijin Guo, Liping Duan, Yaqiong Guo, Lili Liu, Jianbin Ye, Yaoyu Feng, and Lin Wang, “Concurrent Infections of Giardia duodenalis, Enterocytozoon bieneusi, and Clostridium difficile in Children during a Cryptosporidiosis Outbreak in a Pediatric Hospital in China,” Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 7, no. 9, 2013.
- Md Robiul Karim, Haiju Dong, Fuchang Yu, Fuchun Jian, Longxian Zhang, Rongjun Wang, Sumei Zhang, Farzana Islam Rume, Changshen Ning, and Lihua Xiao, “Genetic Diversity in Enterocytozoon bieneusi Isolates from Dogs and Cats in China: Host Specificity and Public Health Implications,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 3297–3302, 2014.
- Wei Li, Wei Tao, Yanxue Jiang, Ruinan Diao, Jinping Yang, and Lihua Xiao, “Genotypic Distribution and Phylogenetic Characterization of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in Diarrheic Chickens and Pigs in Multiple Cities, China: Potential Zoonotic Transmission,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 9, 2014.
- Wei Zhao, Weizhe Zhang, Rongjun Wang, Weishi Liu, Aiqin Liu, Dong Yang, Fengkun Yang, Md Robiul Karim, and Longxian Zhang, “Enterocytozoon bieneusi in sika deer (Cervus nippon) and red deer (Cervus elaphus): deer specificity and zoonotic potential of ITS genotypes,” Parasitology Research, 2014.
- Jingbo Ma, Jinzhong Cai, Jiawen Ma, Yaoyu Feng, and Lihua Xiao, “ Enterocytozoon bieneusi Genotypes in Yaks ( Bos grunniens ) and Their Public Health Potential ,” Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, 2014.
- Wei Zhao, Weizhe Zhang, Fengkun Yang, Jianping Cao, Hua Liu, Dong Yang, Yujuan Shen, and Aiqin Liu, “High Prevalence of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in Asymptomatic Pigs and Assessment of Zoonotic Risk at the Genotype Level,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 80, no. 12, pp. 3699–3707, 2014.
- Christen Rune Stensvold, Jessica Beser, Bitte Ljungström, Karin Troell, and Marianne Lebbad, “Low host-specific Enterocytozoon bieneusi genotype BEB6 is common in Swedish lambs,” Veterinary Parasitology, 2014.
- Marta Kicia, Maria Wesolowska, Katarzyna Jakuszko, Zaneta Kopacz, Bohumil Sak, Dana Kvetonova, Magdalena Krajewska, and Martin Kvac, “Concurrent Infection of the Urinary Tract with Encephalitozoon cuniculi and Enterocytozoon bieneusi in a Renal Transplant Recipient,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1780–1782, 2014.
- Wei Li, Yijing Li, Weizhi Li, Jinping Yang, Mingxin Song, Ruinan Diao, Honglin Jia, Yixin Lu, Jun Zheng, Xichen Zhang, and Lihua Xiao, “Genotypes of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in Livestock in China: High Prevalence and Zoonotic Potential,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 5, 2014.
- Ana Luz Galvan-Diaz, Angela Magnet, Soledad Fenoy, Nuno Henriques-Gil, Maria Haro, Francisco Ponce Gordo, Guadalupe Miro, Carmen del Aguila, and Fernando Izquierdo, “Microsporidia Detection and Genotyping Study of Human Pathogenic E. bieneusi in Animals from Spain,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 3, 2014.
- Md Robiul Karim, Rongjun Wang, Haiju Dong, Longxian Zhang, Jian Li, Sumei Zhang, Farzana Islam Rume, Meng Qi, Fuchun Jian, Mingfei Sun, Guangyou Yang, Fengcai Zou, Changshen Ning, and Lihua Xiao, “Genetic Polymorphism and Zoonotic Potential of Enterocytozoon bieneusi from Nonhuman Primates in China,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 1893–1898, 2014.
- Oswaldo Palenzuela, Maria Jose Redondo, Ann Cali, Peter M. Takvorian, Maria Alonso-Naveiro, Pilar Alvarez-Pellitero, and Ariadna Sitja-Bobadilla, “A new intranuclear microsporidium, Enterospora nucleophila n. sp., causing an emaciative syndrome in a piscine host (Sparus aurata), prompts the redescription of the family Enterocytozoonidae,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 44, no. 3-4, pp. 189–203, 2014.
- Yue Hu, Yaoyu Feng, Chengchen Huang, and Lihua Xiao, “ Occurrence, Source, and Human Infection Potential of Cryptosporidium and Enterocytozoon bieneusi in Drinking Source Water in Shanghai, China, during a Pig Carcass Disposal Incident ,” Environmental Science & Technology, pp. 141201161544008, 2014.
- Jinping Yang, Mingxin Song, Qiang Wan, Yijing Li, Yixin Lu, Yanxue Jiang, Wei Tao, and Wei Li, “Enterocytozoon bieneusi Genotypes in Children in Northeast China and Assessment of Risk of Zoonotic Transmission,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 4363–4367, 2014.
- Jingbo Ma, Pei Li, Xiaoping Zhao, Hailing Xu, Wenxian Wu, Yuanfei Wang, Yaqiong Guo, Lin Wang, Yaoyu Feng, and Lihua Xiao, “Occurrence and molecular characterization of Cryptosporidium spp. and Enterocytozoon bieneusi in dairy cattle, beef cattle and water buffaloes in China,” Veterinary Parasitology, 2014.
- Wei Li, Ruinan Diao, Jinping Yang, Lihua Xiao, Yixin Lu, Yijing Li, and Mingxin Song, “High diversity of human-pathogenic Enterocytozoon bieneusi genotypes in swine in northeast China,” Parasitology Research, 2014.
- Yaqiong Guo, Kerri A. Alderisio, Wenli Yang, Vitaliano Cama, Yaoyu Feng, and Lihua Xiao, “Host Specificity and Source of Enterocytozoon bieneusi Genotypes in a Drinking Source Watershed,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 218–225, 2014.
- Joseph A. Moss, John Gordy, and Richard A. Snyder, “ Effective Concentration and Detection of Cryptosporidium , Giardia , and the Microsporidia from Environmental Matrices ,” Journal of Pathogens, vol. 2014, pp. 1–10, 2014.
- Edward S. Ndzi, Tazoacha Asonganyi, Mary Bello Nkinin, Lihua Xiao, Elizabeth S. Didier, Lisa C. Bowers, Stephenson W. Nkinin, and Edna S. Kaneshiro, “Fast Technology Analysis Enables Identification of Species and Genotypes of Latent Microsporidia Infections in Healthy Native Cameroonians,” Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, 2015.
- I. Bueno, K.M. Smith, F. Sampedro, C.C. Machalaba, W.B. Karesh, and D.A. Travis, “Risk Prioritization Tool to Identify the Public Health Risks of Wildlife Trade: The Case of Rodents from Latin America,” Zoonoses and Public Health, 2015.
- Hamed Mirjalali, Hossein Mirhendi, Ahmad Reza Meamar, Mehdi Mohebali, Zeynab Askari, Elnaz Sadat Mirsamadi, and Mostafa Rezaeian, “Genotyping and molecular analysis of Enterocytozoon bieneusi isolated from immunocompromised patients in Iran,” Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 2015.
- Guang-Hui Zhao, Shuai-Zhi Du, Hui-Bao Wang, Xiong-Feng Hu, Ming-Jun Deng, San-Ke Yu, Long-Xian Zhang, and Xing-Quan Zhu, “First report of zoonotic Cryptosporidium spp., Giardia intestinalis and Enterocytozoon bieneusi in Golden Takins (Budorcas taxicolor bedfordi),” Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 2015.
- Wei Zhao, Weizhe Zhang, Dong Yang, Longxian Zhang, Rongjun Wang, and Aiqin Liu, “Prevalence of Enterocytozoon bieneusi and genetic diversity of ITS genotypes in sheep and goats in China,” Infection, Genetics and Evolution, vol. 32, pp. 265–270, 2015.
- Ge-Ru Tian, Guang-Hui Zhao, Shuai-Zhi Du, Xiong-Feng Hu, Hui-Bao Wang, Long-Xian Zhang, and San-Ke Yu, “First report of Enterocytozoon bieneusi from giant pandas (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) and red pandas (Ailurus fulgens) in China,” Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 2015.
- Zhenjie Zhang, Jianying Huang, Md Robiul Karim, Jinfeng Zhao, Haiju Dong, Weichang Ai, Fuhuang Li, Longxian Zhang, and Rongjun Wang, “Zoonotic Enterocytozoon bieneusi genotypes in Pere David's deer (Elaphurus davidianus) in Henan, China,” Experimental Parasitology, 2015.
- Yanxue Jiang, Wei Tao, Qiang Wan, Qiao Li, Yuqi Yang, Yongchao Lin, Siwen Zhang, and Wei Li, “Zoonotic and Potentially Host-Adapted Enterocytozoon bieneusi Genotypes in Sheep and Cattle in Northeast China and an Increasing Concern about the Zoo,” Applied And Environmental Microbiology, vol. 81, no. 10, pp. 3326–3335, 2015.
- Wei Zhao, Weizhe Zhang, Fengkun Yang, Longxian Zhang, Rongjun Wang, Jianping Cao, Yujuan Shen, and Aiqin Liu, “ Enterocytozoon bieneusi in Dairy Cattle in the Northeast of China: Genetic Diversity of ITS Gene and Evaluation of Zoonotic Transmission Potential ,” Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, 2015.
- Christelle Butel, Steve Ahuka Mundeke, Pascal Drakulovski, Donika Krasteva, Eitel Mpoudi Ngole, Michele Mallié, Eric Delaporte, Martine Peeters, and Sabrina Locatelli, “Assessment of Infections with Microsporidia and Cryptosporidium spp. in Fecal Samples from Wild Primate Populations from Cameroon and Democratic Republic of Congo,” International Journal of Primatology, 2015.
- Md Robiul Karim, Haiju Dong, Tongyi Li, Fuchang Yu, Dezhong Li, Longxian Zhang, Junqiang Li, Rongjun Wang, Shouyi Li, Xiaofeng Li, Farzana Islam Rume, and Changshen Ning, “Predomination and New Genotypes of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in Captive Nonhuman Primates in Zoos in China: High Genetic Diversity and Zoonotic Signific,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 2, 2015.
- Claire Vergneau-Grosset, and Sylvain Larrat, “Microsporidiosis in Vertebrate Companion Exotic Animals,” Journal of Fungi, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 3, 2015.
- Oladele T. Ojuromi, Liping Duan, Fernando Izquierdo, Soledad M. Fenoy, Wellington A. Oyibo, Carmen del Aguila, Anofi O. T. Ashafa, Yaoyu Feng, and Lihua Xiao, “ Genotypes of Cryptosporidium spp. and Enterocytozoon bieneusi in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Patients in Lagos, Nigeria ,” Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 414–418, 2015.
- Mekadina Bernadus, Emelia Osman, Siti Nur Su'aidah Nasarudin, Nurul Shazalina Zainudin, Azmawati Mohd Nawi, and Alfizah Hanafiah, “Loop-mediated isothermal amplification for rapid molecular detection of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in faecal specimens,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 64, no. 11, pp. 1329–1334, 2015.
- Wei Zhao, Weizhe Zhang, Ziyin Yang, Aiqin Liu, Longxian Zhang, Fengkun Yang, Rongjun Wang, and Hong Ling, “Genotyping of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in Farmed Blue Foxes (Alopex lagopus) and Raccoon Dogs (Nyctereutes procyonoides) in China,” PLoS One, vol. 10, no. 11, 2015.
- Weishi Liu, Chunyu Nie, Longxian Zhang, Rongjun Wang, Aiqin Liu, Wei Zhao, and Heping Li, “First detection and genotyping of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in reindeers (Rangifer tarandus): a zoonotic potential of ITS genotypes,” Parasites & Vectors, vol. 8, no. 1, 2015.
- Kinga Leśniańska, Agnieszka Perec-Matysiak, Joanna Hildebrand, Katarzyna Buńkowska-Gawlik, Agnieszka Piróg, and Marcin Popiołek, “Cryptosporidium spp. and Enterocytozoon bieneusi in introduced raccoons (Procyon lotor)—first evidence from Poland and Germany,” Parasitology Research, 2016.
- Wei Zhao, Siyang Yu, Ziyin Yang, Yichi Zhang, Longxian Zhang, Rongjun Wang, Weizhe Zhang, Fengkun Yang, and Aiqin Liu, “Genotyping of Enterocytozoon bieneusi (Microsporidia) isolated from various birds in China,” Infection, Genetics and Evolution, vol. 40, pp. 151–154, 2016.
- Vagner Ricardo da Silva Fiuza, Carlos Wilson Gomes Lopes, Rachel Ingrid Juliboni Cosendey, Francisco Carlos Rodrigues de Oliveira, Ronald Fayer, and Monica Santín, “Zoonotic Enterocytozoon bieneusi genotypes found in brazilian sheep,” Research in Veterinary Science, 2016.
- Chao Xu, Xusheng Ma, Hao Zhang, Xiao-Xuan Zhang, Jia-Ping Zhao, Heng-Xing Ba, Rui-Du, Xiu Mei Xing, Quan-Kai Wang, and Quan Zhao, “Prevalence, risk factors and molecular characterization of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in raccoon dogs (Nyctereutes procyonoides) in five provinces of Northern China,” Acta Tropica, 2016.
- Wei Li, Qiang Wan, Qinlei Yu, Yuqi Yang, Wei Tao, Yanxue Jiang, and Lihua Xiao, “Genetic variation of mini- and microsatellites and a clonal structure in Enterocytozoon bieneusi population in foxes and raccoon dogs and population differentiation of the parasite between fur animals and humans,” Parasitology Research, 2016.
- Junqiang Li, Nannan Luo, Chenrong Wang, Meng Qi, Jianke Cao, Zhaohui Cui, Jianying Huang, Rongjun Wang, and Longxian Zhang, “Occurrence, molecular characterization and predominant genotypes of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in dairy cattle in Henan and Ningxia, China,” Parasites & Vectors, vol. 9, no. 1, 2016.
- Xiao-Xuan Zhang, Wei Cong, Guo-Hua Liu, Xiao-Ting Ni, Jian-Gang Ma, Wen-Bin Zheng, Quan Zhao, and Xing-Quan Zhu, “Prevalence and genotypes of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in sika deer in Jilin province, Northeastern China,” Acta Parasitologica, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 382–388, 2016.
- Godwin Kwakye-Nuako, Johnson Nyarko Boampong, Mark Kweku Dong, Dorcas Obiri-Yeboah, Yeboah Kwaku Opoku, Daniel Amoako-Sakyi, and Kwame Kumi Asare, “Modulation of cyptosporidiosis by CD4 levels in chronic diarrhoea HIV/AIDS individuals visiting Tarkwa Municipal hospital, Ghana,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 770–775, 2016.
- G.D. Stentiford, J.J. Becnel, L.M. Weiss, P.J. Keeling, E.S. Didier, B.A.P. Williams, S. Bjornson, M.L. Kent, M.A. Freeman, M.J.F. Brown, E.R. Troemel, K. Roesel, Y. Sokolova, K.F. Snowden, and L. Solter, “Microsporidia – Emergent Pathogens in the Global Food Chain,” Trends in Parasitology, 2016.