- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Tropical Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 808132, 5 pages
Evaluation of Genetic Polymorphism of Leishmania (V.) braziliensis Isolates Obtained from the Same Patient before and after Therapeutic Failure or Reactivation of Cutaneous Lesions
1Laboratório de Vigilância em Leishmanioses, Instituto de Pesquisa Clínica Evandro Chagas, Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Avenida Brasil 4365, 21040-900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
2Laboratório de Imunoparasitologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Avenida Brasil 4365, 21040-900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
3Laboratório de Sistemática Bioquímica, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Avenida Brasil 4365, 21040-900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Received 19 June 2012; Revised 14 November 2012; Accepted 19 November 2012
Academic Editor: Christophe Chevillard
Copyright © 2012 Cibele Baptista et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. C. Marzochi and K. B. Marzochi, “Tegumentary and visceral leishmaniases in Brazil: emerging anthropozoonosis and possibilities for their control,” Cadernos de Saúde Pública, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 359–375, 1994.
- A. De Oliveira Schubach, K. B. Feldman Marzochi, J. Soares Moreira et al., “Retrospective study of 151 patients with cutaneous leishmaniasis treated with meglumine antimoniate,” Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 213–217, 2005.
- F. Frézard, C. Demicheli, and R. R. Ribeiro, “Pentavalent antimonials: new perspectives for old drugs,” Molecules, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 2317–2336, 2009.
- Ministério da Saúde (Brasil), Manual de Vigilância da Leishmaniose Tegumentar Americana, Secretaria de Vigilância em SaúDe, Ministério da Saúde, Brasília, Brazil, 2010.
- M. P. Oliveira-Neto, M. Mattos, C. D. S. F. De Souza, O. Fernandes, and C. Pirmez, “Leishmaniasis recidiva cutis in New World cutaneous leishmaniasis,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 846–849, 1998.
- P. J. Guerin, P. Olliaro, S. Sundar et al., “Visceral leishmaniasis: current status of control, diagnosis, and treatment, and a proposed research and development agenda,” Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 494–501, 2002.
- S. Sundar, D. K. More, M. K. Singh et al., “Failure of pentavalent antimony in visceral leishmaniasis in India: report from the center of the Indian epidemic,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 1104–1107, 2000.
- D. Sereno, A. Cordeiro da Silva, F. Mathieu-Daude, and A. Ouaissi, “Advances and perspectives in Leishmania cell based drug-screening procedures,” Parasitology International, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 3–7, 2007.
- R. S. Pacheco, J. E. Martinez, L. Valderrama, H. Momen, and N. G. Saravia, “Genotypic polymorphisms in experimental metastatic dermal leishmaniasis,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 197–209, 1995.
- E. Cupolillo, G. Grimaldi Jr., and H. Momen, “A general classification of new world Leishmania using numerical zymotaxonomy,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 296–311, 1994.
- F. Santos de Oliveira, C. M. Valete-Rosalino, A. de Oliveira Schubach, and R. da Silva Pacheco, “kDNA minicircle signatures of Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis in oral and nasal mucosa from mucosal leishmaniasis patients,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 361–365, 2010.
- G. A. Ferreira, F. C. S. Soares, S. A. Vasconcellos et al., “Discrimination of Leishmania braziliensis variants by kDNA signatures produced by LSSP-PCR,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 712–714, 2007.
- C. Baptista, A. O. Schubach, M. F. Madeira et al., “Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis genotypes identified in lesions of patients with atypical or typical manifestations of tegumentary leishmaniasis: evaluation by two molecular markers,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 317–322, 2009.
- M. P. Oliveira-Neto, A. Schubach, M. Mattos, S. C. Goncalves-Costa, and C. Pirmez, “A low-dose antimony treatment in 159 patients with American cutaneous leishmaniasis: extensive follow-up studies (up to 10 years),” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 651–655, 1997.
- C. Vergel, R. Palacios, H. Cadena et al., “Evidence for Leishmania (Viannia) parasites in the skin and blood of patients before and after treatment,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 194, no. 4, pp. 503–511, 2006.
- A. Schubach, M. C. A. Marzochi, T. Cuzzi-Maya et al., “Cutaneous scars in American tegumentary leishmaniasis patients: a site of Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis persistence and viability eleven years after antimonial therapy and clinical cure,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 824–827, 1998.
- A. M. Rodrigues, M. Hueb, T. A. R. Rodrigues Dos Santos, and C. J. Fernandes Fontes, “Factors associated with treatmet failure of cutaneous leishmaniasis with meglumine antimoniate,” Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 139–145, 2006.
- F. S. de Oliveira, C. M. Valete-Rosalino, A. de Oliveira Schubach, M. de Fátima Madeira, and R. da Silva Pacheco, “Genetic polymorphism in Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis detected in mucosal leishmaniasis of HIV-infected and non-HIV-infected patients,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 106, no. 11, pp. 683–687, 2012.
- J. S. C. Alvarenga, C. M. Ligeiro, C. M. F. Gontijo et al., “KDNA genetic signatures obtained by LSSP-PCR analysis of Leishmania (Leishmania) infantum isolated from the New and the Old World,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 8, Article ID e43363, 2012.
- A. Unger, S. O'Neal, P. R. L. Machado et al., “Association of treatment of American cutaneous leishmaniasis prior to ulcer development with high rate of failure in Northeastern Brazil,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 574–579, 2009.
- A. Ponte-Sucre, “Physiological consequences of drug resistance in Leishmania and thier relevance for chemotherapy,” Kinetoplastid Biology and Disease, vol. 2, no. 1, p. 14, 2003.
- T. Laurent, S. Rijal, V. Yardley et al., “Epidemiological dynamics of antimonial resistance in Leishmania donovani: genotyping reveals a polyclonal population structure among naturally-resistant clinical isolates from Nepal,” Infection, Genetics and Evolution, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 206–212, 2007.
- W. M. Brown, M. George, and A. C. Wilson, “Rapid evolution of animal mitochondrial DNA,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 1967–1971, 1979.
- L. Simpson, “The mitochondrial genome of kinetoplastid protozoa: genomic organization, transcription, replication, and evolution,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 41, pp. 363–382, 1987.