Research Communication | Open Access
Serum Endothelin-1 and Transforming Growth Factor- Levels in the Newborns With Respiratory Distress
The purpose of this present study was to evaluate the serum levels of ET-1 and TGF- in the newborns with respiratory distress. In this study, newborns with respiratory distress hospitalized into the Newborn Intensive Care Unit were included. The highest values of ET-1 and TGF- were obtained from newborns with diagnosis as meconium aspiration syndrome ( pg/mL and pg/mL, resp) in the sample obtained in the first six hours after birth, and these are statistically different from control group (). Also, same results were obtained for newborns with respiratory distress syndrome ( pg/mL and pg/mL, resp). After oxygen treatment, ET-1 values obtained in the first six hours of life were decreased regularly in the following days (). In the differentiating diagnosis of the respiratory distress of newborns, the investigation of ET-1 and TGF- levels is meaningful. The ET-1 levels investigated in the first six hours is more useful in determining the prognosis, and repeating ET-1 levels in the following days is more meaningful to determine clinical response.
- J A Whitsett, W R Rice, B B Warner et al., “Acute respiratory disorders,” in Avery's Neonatology Pathophysiology & Management of The Newborn, M G MacDonald, M D Mullett, and M MK Seshia, Eds., pp. 553–577, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, 6th edition, 2005.
- P Kumar and P SS Kiran, “Changing trends in the management of respiratory distress syndrome (RDS),” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 49–54, 2004.
- M Yanagisawa, H Kurihara, S Kimura et al., “A novel potent vasoconstrictor peptide produced by vascular endothelial cells,” Nature, vol. 332, no. 6163, pp. 411–415, 1988.
- E R Levin, “Endothelins,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 333, no. 6, pp. 356–363, 1995.
- D J Stewart, R D Levy, P Cernacek, and D Langleben, “Increased plasma endothelin-1 in pulmonary hypertension: marker or mediator of disease?,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 464–469, 1991.
- M Yoshibayashi, K Nishioka, K Nakao et al., “Plasma endothelin concentrations in patients with pulmonary hypertension associated with congenital heart defects. Evidence for increased production of endothelin in pulmonary circulation,” Circulation, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 2280–2285, 1991.
- K Spiropoulos, G Trakada, E Nikolaou et al., “Endothelin-1 levels in the pathophysiology of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and bronchial asthma,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 97, no. 8, pp. 983–989, 2003.
- K A Fagan, I F McMurtry, and D M Rodman, “Role of endothelin-1 in lung disease,” Respiratory Research, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 90–101, 2001.
- G C Blobe, W P Schiemann, and H F Lodish, “Role of transforming growth factor in human disease,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 342, no. 18, pp. 1350–1358, 2000.
- S S Arcot, D W Lipke, M N Gillespie, and J W Olson, “Alterations of growth factor transcripts in rat lungs during development of monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1086–1091, 1993.
- T Miyauchi, R Yorikane, S Sakai et al., “Contribution of endogenous endothelin-1 to the progression of cardiopulmonary alterations in rats with monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension,” Circulation Research, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 887–897, 1993.
- B A Markewitz, I S Farrukh, Y Chen, Y Li, and J R Michael, “Regulation of endothelin-1 synthesis in human pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells: effects of transforming growth factor- and hypoxia,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 200–206, 2001.
- S Andersson, T A Merritt, A Orpana, L Viinikka, and O Ylikorkala, “High endothelin-1 in the airways of preterm infants is associated with less severe respiratory distress during the early postnatal period,” Pediatrics, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 545–547, 1997.
- S Sugo, N Minamino, H Shoji et al., “Regulation of endothelin-1 production in cultured rat vascular smooth muscle cells,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 25–40, 2001.
- J L Ballard, J C Khoury, K Wedig, L Wang, B L Eilers-Walsman, and R Lipp, “New Ballard Score, expanded to include extremely premature infants,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 417–423, 1991.
- P Kaapa, P Kero, H Ekblad, R Erkkola, and O Arjamaa, “Plasma endothelin-1 in the neonatal respiratory distress syndrome,” Annales Chirurgiae et Gynaecologiae, vol. 83, no. suppl 208, pp. 110–112, 1994.
- A A Rosenberg, J Kennaugh, S L Koppenhafer, M Loomis, B A Chatfield, and S H Abman, “Elevated immunoreactive endothelin-1 levels in newborn infants with persistent pulmonary hypertension,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 109–114, 1993.
- C Y Kuo, Y H Chou, R Lien, and P H Yang, “Study of plasma endothelin-1 concentrations in Taiwanese neonates with respiratory distress,” Chang Gung Medical Journal, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 239–244, 2001.
- T Kojima, Y Isozaki-Fukuda, M Takedatsu, A Ono, Y Hirata, and Y Kobayashi, “Plasma endothelin-1 like immunoreactivity levels in neonates,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 151, no. 12, pp. 913–915, 1992.
- A CW Benjamin, R C Silveira, and R S Procianoy, “Umbilical cord blood and neonatal endothelin-1 levels in preterm newborns with and without respiratory distress syndrome,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 1417–1422, 2005.
- M De Vroomen, R H Lopes Cardozo, P Steendijk, M Frölich, J Baan, and F Van Bel, “Endothelin-1 plasma concentration increases in the early phase of pulmonary hypertension development during respiratory distress syndrome: a study in newborn lambs,” Early Human Development, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 9–21, 2001.
- R J Fahy, F Lichtenberger, C B McKeegan, G J Nuovo, C B Marsh, and M D Wewers, “The acute respiratory distress syndrome: a role for transforming growth factor-beta 1,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 499–503, 2003.
- B Jonsson, Y-H Li, G Noack, A Brauner, and K Tullus, “Downregulatory cytokines in tracheobronchial aspirate fluid from infants with chronic lung disease of prematurity,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 1375–1380, 2000.
- S Kotecha, A Wangoo, M Silverman, and R J Shaw, “Increase in the concentration of transforming growth factor beta-1 in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid before development of chronic lung disease of prematurity,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 464–469, 1996.
- J O Niu, U K Munshi, M M Siddiq, and L A Parton, “Early increase in endothelin-1 in tracheal aspirates of preterm infants: correlation with bronchopulmonary dysplasia,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 965–970, 1998.
- D Alonso and M W Radomski, “The nitric oxide-endothelin-1 connection,” Heart Failure Reviews, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 107–115, 2003.
Copyright © 2006 Derya Benzer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.