Clinical Study | Open Access
Kamel Hamzaoui, Hanene Chelbi, Mariam Kamoun, Imen Ben Dhifallah, Agnes Hamzaoui, "Increased Endothelin-1 Levels of BAL Fluid in Patients with Behçet's Disease", Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2007, Article ID 093726, 6 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/93726
Increased Endothelin-1 Levels of BAL Fluid in Patients with Behçet's Disease
Objective and background. Pulmonary aneurysms and thrombosis constitute a significant cause of morbidity and mortality in Behçet's disease (BD). Various factors have been studied to explore the pathogenesis of vascular involvement in BD. As endothelin (ET) is known for its potent vasoconstrictor and proinflammatory properties, we supposed that it is involved during the inflammatory process of BD pulmonary vasculitis. Methods. To investigate the role of ET in BD, ET-1 concentrations were measured in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) of 18 nonsmoking BD patients with pulmonary manifestations and 12 control subjects. Immunoreactivity of ET-1 was also evaluated in alveolar macrophages (AMs) cytoplasm. Results. ET-1 levels in BD-BALF were significantly higher than those of controls. ET-1 levels were correlated with the number of alveolar macrophages, but not with BAL-CD4/CD8 ratio. ET-1-immunoreactivity was found mainly in AM of BD-BAL. Conclusions. Increased ET-1 production from AM is associated with pulmonary BD manifestations.
- H. Yazici, S. Yurdakul, V. Hamuryudan, and I. Fresko, “Behçet's syndrome,” in Rheumatology, M. C. Hochberg, J. A. Silman, J. S. Smolen, M. E. Weinblatt, and M. H. Weisman, Eds., pp. 1665–1669, Mosby, London, UK, 3rd edition, 2003.
- D. Erkan, Y. Yazici, A. Sanders, D. Trost, and H. Yazici, “Is Hughes-Stovin syndrome Behçet's disease?” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 22, no. 4, supplement 24, pp. S64–S68, 2004.
- A. Hamzaoui and K. Hamzaoui, “Pulmonary complications of Behçet's disease and Takayasu's arteritis,” Revue des Maladies Respiratoires, vol. 22, no. 6, part 1, pp. 999–1019, 2005.
- K. Aksu, H. Koçanaogullari, G. Keser et al., “A case of Behçet's disease with pulmonary arterial aneurysm and secondary amyloidosis,” Rheumatology, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 831–832, 2002.
- K. Terashita, S. Kato, M. Sata, S. Inoue, H. Nakamura, and H. Tomoike, “Increased endothelin-1 levels of BAL fluid in patients with pulmonary sarcoidosis,” Respirology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 145–151, 2006.
- C. Odoux, B. Crestani, G. Lebrun et al., “Endothelin-1 secretion by alveolar macrophages in systemic sclerosis,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 156, no. 5, pp. 1429–1435, 1997.
- M. Kayikçioglu, K. Aksu, C. Hasdemir et al., “Endothelial functions in Behçet's disease,” Rheumatology International, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 304–308, 2006.
- A. Gül, “Behçet's disease: an update on the pathogenesis,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 19, no. 5, supplement 24, pp. S6–S12, 2001.
- J. C. Chambers, D. O. Haskard, and J. S. Kooner, “Vascular endothelial function and oxidative stress mechanisms in patients with Behçet's syndrome,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 517–520, 2001.
- R. Joannides, W. E. Haefeli, L. Linder et al., “Nitric oxide is responsible for flow-dependent dilatation of human peripheral conduit arteries in vivo,” Circulation, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1314–1319, 1995.
- A. Örem, Y. E. Yandi, B. Vanizor, G. Çimşit, H. A. Uydu, and M. Malkoç, “The evaluation of autoantibodies against oxidatively modified low-density lipoprotein (LDL), susceptibility of LDL to oxidation, serum lipids and lipid hydroperoxide levels, total antioxidant status, antioxidant enzyme activities, and endothelial dysfunction in patients with Behçet's disease,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 217–224, 2002.
- A. J. Peacock, K. E. Dawes, A. Shock, A. J. Gray, J. T. Reeves, and G. J. Laurent, “Endothelin-1 and endothelin-3 induce chemotaxis and replication of pulmonary artery fibroblasts,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 492–499, 1992.
- C. L. Golden, J. P. Kohler, H. S. Nick, and G. A. Visner, “Effects of vasoactive and inflammatory mediators on endothelin-1 expression in pulmonary endothelial cells,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 503–512, 1995.
- L. Guembe and A. C. Villaro, “Immunohistochemical mapping of endothelin in the developing and adult mouse lung,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 1301–1309, 2001.
- B. Hocher, A. Schwarz, K. A. Fagan et al., “Pulmonary fibrosis and chronic lung inflammation in ET-1 transgenic mice,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 19–26, 2000.
- M. Marini, S. Carpi, A. Bellini, F. Patalano, and S. Mattoli, “Endothelin-1 induces increased fibronectin expression in human bronchial epithelial cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 220, no. 3, pp. 896–899, 1996.
- B. Wechsler, F. Davatchi, Y. Mizushima et al., “Criteria for diagnosis of Behçet's disease,” Lancet, vol. 335, no. 8697, pp. 1078–1080, 1990.
- A. Hamzaoui, H. Ghraïri, J. Ammar, S. Zekri, F. Guemira, and K. Hamzaoui, “IL-18 mRNA expression and IFN- induction in bronchoalveolar lavage from Behçet's disease,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 4, supplement 30, pp. S8–S14, 2003.
- M. Kraft, W. R. Beam, S. E. Wenzel, M. R. Zamora, R. F. O'Brien, and R. J. Martin, “Blood and bronchoalveolar lavage endothelin-1 levels in nocturnal asthma,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 149, no. 4, pp. 946–952, 1994.
- F. Erkan, “Pulmonary involvement in Behçet disease,” Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 314–318, 1999.
- V. Hamuryudan, T. Er, E. Seyahi et al., “Pulmonary artery aneurysms in Behçet syndrome,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 117, no. 11, pp. 867–870, 2004.
- U. Schmitz-Huebner and J. Knop, “Evidence for an endothelial cell dysfunction in association with Behçet's disease,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 277–285, 1984.
- A. Giaid, R. P. Michel, D. J. Stewart, M. Sheppard, B. Corrin, and Q. Hamid, “Expression of endothelin-1 in lungs of patients with cryptogenic fibrosing alveolitis,” Lancet, vol. 341, no. 8860, pp. 1550–1554, 1993.
- H. Houman, A. Hamzaoui, I. B. Ghorbal, M. S. Khanfir, M. Feki, and K. Hamzaoui, “Tc1/Tc2 ratio in the inflammatory process in patients with Behçet's disease,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 247–253, 2004.
- S. Kaneko, N. Suzuki, N. Yamashita et al., “Characterization of T cells specific for an epitope of human 60-kD heat shock protein (hsp) in patients with Behçet's disease (BD) in Japan,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 204–212, 1997.
- H. Direskeneli, E. Eksioglu-Demiralp, S. Yavuz et al., “T cell responses to 60/65 kDa heat shock protein derived peptides in Turkish patients with Behçet's disease,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 708–713, 2000.
- W.-U. Kim, J.-H. Do, K.-S. Park et al., “Enhanced production of macrophage inhibitory protein-1 in patients with Behçet's disease,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 129–135, 2005.
- S. Molet, K. Furukawa, A. Maghazechi, Q. Hamid, and A. Giaid, “Chemokine- and cytokine-induced expression of endothelin 1 and endothelin-converting enzyme 1 in endothelial cells,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 333–338, 2000.
- M. S. Kurokawa and N. Suzuki, “Behçet's disease,” Clinical and Experimental Medicine, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 10–20, 2004.
- G. W. Chalmers, K. J. Macleod, S. Sriram et al., “Sputum endothelin-1 is increased in cystic fibrosis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1288–1292, 1999.
- M. O. Oztas, M. Onder, M. A. Gurer, N. Bukan, and B. Sancak, “Serum interleukin 18 and tumour necrosis factor- levels are increased in Behçet's disease,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 61–63, 2005.
- E. Bozoglu, A. Dinc, H. Erdem, S. Pay, I. Simsek, and I. H. Kocar, “Vascular endothelial growth factor and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in Behçet's patients with venous thrombosis,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 23, no. 4, supplement 38, pp. S42–S48, 2005.
- F. Finsnes, T. Lyberg, G. Christensen, and O. H. Skjønsberg, “Effect of endothelin antagonism on the production of cytokines in eosinophilic airway inflammation,” American Journal of Physiology. Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, vol. 280, no. 4, pp. L659–L665, 2001.
- M. M. Cerinic and M. B. Kahaleh, “Beauty and the beast. The nitric oxide paradox in systemic sclerosis,” Rheumatology, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 843–847, 2002.
- J. A. Karasneh, A. H. Hajeer, A. Silman, J. Worthington, W. E. R. Ollier, and A. Gul, “Polymorphisms in the endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene are associated with Behçet's disease,” Rheumatology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 614–617, 2005.
- J. U. Kim, H. K. Chang, S. S. Lee et al., “Endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene polymorphisms in Behçet's disease and rheumatic diseases with vasculitis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 62, no. 11, pp. 1083–1087, 2003.
- F. Oksel, G. Keser, M. Ozmen et al., “Endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene Glu298Asp polymorphism is associated with Behçet's disease,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 24, no. 5, supplement 42, pp. S79–S82, 2006.
- M. Cukiernik, D. Hileeto, T. Evans, S. Mukherjee, D. Downey, and S. Chakrabarti, “Vascular endothelial growth factor in diabetes induced early retinal abnormalities,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 197–208, 2004.
Copyright © 2007 Kamel Hamzaoui et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.