Nonlinear Dynamics and Their Applications to Engineering SciencesView this Special Issue
L. V. Kurpa, T. V. Shmatko, O. G. Onufrienko, "Research of nonlinear vibrations of orthotropic plates with a complex form", Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2006, Article ID 026081, 17 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/MPE/2006/26081
Research of nonlinear vibrations of orthotropic plates with a complex form
This paper deals with effects of large amplitude on the free and forced flexural vibrations of elastic orthotropic plates of arbitrary shape. -function method (RFM) is applied to obtain the basis functions need for expansion of sought solution into Fourier series. The initial nonlinear system of differential equations with partial derivatives is reduced to system of ordinary nonlinear differential equations by Galerkin procedure. The solving-obtained system is carried out by Runge-Kutta or Galerkin methods. The numerical results for the plate of complex form and also rectangular form and different boundary conditions have been presented and compared with other known results.
- S. A. Ambartsumyan, The General Theory of Anisotropic Shells, Izdat. “Nauka”, Moscow, 1974.
- C. Y. Chia, Nonlinear Analysis of Plates, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1980.
- H.-N. Chu and G. Herrmann, “Influence of large amplitudes on free flexural vibrations of rectangular elastic plates,” Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics, vol. 23, pp. 532–540, 1956.
- P. C. Dumir and A. Bhaskar, “Nonlinear forced vibration of orthotropic thin rectangular plates,” International Journal of Mechanical Science, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 371–380, 1988.
- M. Ganapathi, T. K. Varadan, and B. S. Sarma, “Nonlinear flexural vibrations of laminated orthotropic plates,” Computers & Structures, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 685–688, 1991.
- K. Kanaka Raju and E. Hinton, “Nonlinear vibrations of thick plates using Mindlin plate elements,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering., vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 249–257, 1980.
- L. V. Kurpa, V. L. Rvachev, and E. Ventsel, “The -function method for the free vibration analysis of thin orthotropic plates of arbitrary shape,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 261, no. 1, pp. 109–122, 2003.
- T. Manoj, M. Ayyappan, K. S. Krishnan, and B. Nageswara Rao, “Nonlinear vibration analysis of thin laminated rectangular plates on elastic foundations,” ZAMM. Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik. Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 183–192, 2000.
- C. Mei and K. Decha-Umphai, “A finite element method for nonlinear forced vibrations of rectangular plates,” AIAA Journal, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1104–1110, 1985.
- S. G. Mikhlin, Variational Methods in Mathematical Physics, Izdat. “Nauka”, Moscow, 2nd edition, 1970.
- M. K. Prabhakara and C. Y. Chia, “Non-linear flexural vibrations of orthotropic rectangular plates,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 511–518, 1977.
- V. L. Rvachev, The Theory of -Functions and Some of Its Applications, Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1982.
- V. L. Rvachev and L. V. Kurpa, -Functions in Problems of the Theory of Plates, Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1987.
- V. L. Rvachev and L. V. Kurpa, “Application of -functions theory to plates and shells of a complex form,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering, no. 1, pp. 33–53, 1998 (Russian).
- V. L. Rvachev and T. I. Sheiko, “-functions in boundary value problems in mechanics,” Applied Mechanical Review, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 151–188, 1995.
- V. L. Rvachev and A. N. Shevchenko, The Problem-Orientation Languages and Systems for Engineering Research, Technica, Kiev, 1988.
- B. S. Sarma, Nonlinear free vibrations of beams, plates and nonlinear panel flutter, M.S. thesis, Department of Aerospace Engineering, I. I. T. Madras, Chennai, 1987.
- Y. Shi and C. Mei, “A finite element time domain modal formulation for large amplitude free vibrations of beams and plates,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 193, no. 2, pp. 453–464, 1996.
- A. S. Vol'mir, Flexible Plates and Shells, Gosudarstv. Izdat. Tehn.-Teor. Lit., Moscow, 1956.
- A. S. Vol'mir, Nonlinear Dynamics of Plates and Shells, Izdat. “Nauka”, Moscow, 1972.
Copyright © 2006 L. V. Kurpa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.