Research Article | Open Access
Syed Tauseef Mohyud-Din, Muhammad Aslam Noor, "Homotopy Perturbation Method for Solving Fourth-Order Boundary Value Problems", Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2007, Article ID 098602, 15 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/98602
Homotopy Perturbation Method for Solving Fourth-Order Boundary Value Problems
We apply the homotopy perturbation method for solving the fourth-order boundary value problems. The analytical results of the boundary value problems have been obtained in terms of convergent series with easily computable components. Several examples are given to illustrate the efficiency and implementation of the homotopy perturbation method. Comparisons are made to confirm the reliability of the method. Homotopy method can be considered an alternative method to Adomian decomposition method and its variant forms.
- A. H. Nayfeh, Introduction to Perturbation Techniques, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1981.
- A. H. Nayfeh, Problems in Perturbation, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1985.
- S. J. Liao, “An approximate solution technique not depending on small parameters: a special example,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 371–380, 1995.
- S. J. Liao, “Boundary element method for general nonlinear differential operators,” Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 91–99, 1997.
- J.-H. He, “Approximate solution for nonlinear differential equations with convolution product nonlinearities,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 167, no. 1-2, pp. 69–73, 1998.
- J.-H. He, “Variational iteration method: a kind of nonlinear analytical technique: some examples,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 699–708, 1999.
- J.-H. He, “Some asymptotic methods for strongly nonlinear equations,” International Journal of Modern Physics B, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1141–1199, 2006.
- M. A. Noor and S. Tauseef Mohyud-Din, “An efficient method for fourth-order boundary value problems,” to appear in Computers & Mathematics with Applications.
- M. A. Noor and S. Tauseef Mohyud-Din, “An efficient algorithm for solving fifth-order boundary value problems,” to appear in Mathematical and Computer Modelling.
- M. M. Chawla and C. P. Katti, “Finite difference methods for two-point boundary value problems involving high order differential equations,” BIT, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 27–33, 1979.
- E. J. Doedel, “Finite difference collocation methods for nonlinear two-point boundary value problems,” SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 173–185, 1979.
- T. F. Ma and J. da Silva, “Iterative solutions for a beam equation with nonlinear boundary conditions of third order,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2004.
Copyright © 2007 Syed Tauseef Mohyud-Din and Muhammad Aslam Noor. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.