- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Nursing Research and Practice
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 759682, 8 pages
Assessing and Enhancing Health Care Providers’ Response to Domestic Violence
1School of Health Sciences, (Nursing Science), University of Tampere, Finland
2The District Hospital of Southern Ostrobothnia, Finland
3National Institute for Health and Welfare, Finland
Received 11 December 2013; Accepted 13 March 2014; Published 22 April 2014
Academic Editor: Maria Helena Palucci Marziale
Copyright © 2014 Tuija Leppäkoski et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. G. Krug, J. A. Mercy, L. L. Dahlberg, et al., The World Report on Violence and Health, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2002.
- N. L. Baker, J. R. Buick, S. R. Kim, et al., “Lessons from examining same-sex intimate partner violence,” Sex Roles, vol. 69, no. 8, pp. 182–192, 2013.
- M. P. Johnson and K. J. Ferraro, “Research on domestic violence in the 1990s: making distinctions,” Journal of Marriage and Family, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 948–963, 2000.
- J. C. Campbell, “Health consequences of intimate partner violence,” The Lancet, vol. 359, no. 9314, pp. 1331–1336, 2002.
- S. Holt, H. Buckley, and S. Whelan, “The impact of exposure to domestic violence on children and young people: a review of the literature,” Child Abuse and Neglect, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 797–810, 2008.
- E. Nicklas and M. J. Mackenzie, “Intimate partner violence and risk for child neglect during early childhood in a community sample of fragile families,” Journal of Family Violence, vol. 28, pp. 17–29, 2013.
- P. Olive, “Care for emergency department patients who have experienced domestic violence: a review of the evidence base,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1736–1748, 2007.
- E. M. Sundborg, N. Saleh-Stattin, P. Wändell, and L. Törnkvist, “Nurses' preparedness to care for women exposed to Intimate Partner Violence: a quantitative study in primary health care,” BMC Nursing, vol. 11, article 1, 2012.
- T. Leppäkoski, Women exposed to acute physical intimate partner violence seeking care at emergency departments—Identification of and intervention in violence [Ph.D. thesis], Acta Universitatis Tamperensis 1231. University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland, 2007.
- L. Robinson and K. Spilsbury, “Systematic review of the perceptions and experiences of accessing health services by adult victims of domestic violence,” Health and Social Care in the Community, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 16–30, 2008.
- M. Ben Natan, G. Ben Ari, T. Bader, and M. Hallak, “Universal screening for domestic violence in a department of obstetrics and gynaecology: a patient and carer perspective,” International Nursing Review, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 108–114, 2012.
- F. Bradley, M. Smith, J. Long, and T. O'Dowd, “Reported frequency of domestic violence: cross sectional survey of women attending general practice,” British Medical Journal, vol. 324, no. 7332, pp. 271–274, 2002.
- M. Husso, T. Virkki, M. Notko, et al., “Making sense of domestic violence intervention in professional health care,” Health and Social Care in the Community, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 347–355, 2012.
- A. Taft, D. H. Broom, and D. Legge, “General practitioner management of intimate partner abuse and the whole family: qualitative study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 328, no. 7440, pp. 618–621, 2004.
- C. E. Beynon, I. A. Gutmanis, L. M. Tutty, C. N. Wathen, and H. L. MacMillan, “Why physicians and nurses ask (or don't) about partner violence: a qualitative analysis,” BMC Public Health, vol. 12, article 473, 2012.
- K. Baird, D. Salmon, and P. White, “A five year follow-up study of the Bristol pregnancy domestic violence programme to promote routine enquiry,” Midwifery, vol. 29, pp. 1003–1010, 2013.
- C. K. Stinson and R. Robinson, “Intimate partner violence: continuing education for registered nurses,” Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 58–62, 2006.
- R. Robinson, “Myths and stereotypes: how registered nurses screen for intimate partner violence,” Journal of Emergency Nursing, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 572–576, 2010.
- S. Basu and G. Ratcliffe, “Developing a multidisciplinary approach within the ED towards domestic violence presentation,” Emergency Medicine Journal, vol. 31, pp. 192–195, 2014.
- G. Feder, R. A. Davies, K. Baird et al., “Identification and Referral to Improve Safety (IRIS) of women experiencing domestic violence with a primary care training and support programme: a cluster randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 378, no. 9805, pp. 1788–1795, 2011.
- M. Papadakaki, E. Petridou, M. Kogevinas, and C. Lionis, “Measuring the effectiveness of an intensive IPV training program offered to Greek general practice,” BMC Medical Education, vol. 13, no. 46, 2013.
- H. L. MacMillan, C. N. Wathen, E. Jamieson et al., “Screening for intimate partner violence in health care settings: a randomized trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 302, no. 5, pp. 493–501, 2009.
- J. Klevens, R. Kee, W. Trick, et al., “Effect of Screening for partner violence on women’s quality of life,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 308, no. 7, pp. 681–689, 2012.
- “Recommendations for the prevention of interpersonal and domestic violence. Recognise, protect and act,” How to guide and lead load and regional activities in social and health care services, Publications of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, Helsinki, Finland, 2008, http://pre20090115.stm.fi/ka1210341082447/passthru.pdf.
- E. Paavilainen and A. Flinck, “National clinical nursing guideline for identifying and intervening in child maltreatment within the family in Finland,” Child Abuse Review, vol. 22, pp. 209–220, 2013.
- A. Flinck, T. Leppäkoski, and E. Paavilainen, “Identification of and Intervention in Intimate Partner Violence and Multiprofessional Education,” An interim report for the research and development project. Publication series B of the Hospital District of Southern Ostrobothnia, 2009.
- E. Paavilainen, [Child maltreatment in the family]. Perheen toiminta ja yhteistyö perhettä hoitavan terveydenhoitajan kanssa [Ph.D. thesis], Acta Universitatis Tamperensis 604. University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland, 1998.
- A. Flinck, Intimate partner violence as experienced by women and men—from Bed of Roses to Crown of Thorns [Ph.D. thesis], Acta Universitatis Tamperensis 1169. University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland, 2006.
- “Guidelines for treatment situations with patients who have encountered family violence,” University of Tampere, 2013, http://www.uta.fi/hes/stoppia/index.html.
- M. Heiskanen and E. Ruuskanen, “Tuhansien iskujen maa. Miesten kokema väkivalta Suomessa,” The European Institute for Crime Prevention and Control, affiliated with the United Nations (HEUNI), Report no. 66, 2010, http://www.heuni.fi.
- L. McCloskey, E. Lichter, M. Granz, et al., “Intimate partner violence and patient screening across medical specialities,” Academic Emergency Medicine, vol. 12, pp. 712–722, 2005.